PDA

View Full Version : Just saw that the Warren House/Rupert's is for sale.

ScoobySnack
11-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know why? Were they having trouble due to competition from Timbers? Just curious - I liked that place.

Lostone
11-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Can't say for sure, but I've heard rumors from two different directions saying he was tired of that scene.

That was in the spring, when they were "closed for the summer". :?

ScoobySnack
11-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks. I just read in one of your other posts that The Den is now gone as well. That was a surprise to see. They always seemed reasonably busy. That was a good place also.

jkvt
11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks. I just read in one of your other posts that The Den is now gone as well. That was a surprise to see. They always seemed reasonably busy. That was a good place also.

Yep we really missed the deck this summer.
But both are up for sale, Any restaurateurs on the list want to move in :-)

I heard a rumor that Hooters was looking at the Den location...maybe that was just a rumor in my head ;-)

jkvt

noski
11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
I heard a rumor that Hooters was looking at the Den location...maybe that was just a rumor in my head ;-)

jkvt :shock: (and those are my eyeballs, by the way....)

Strat
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Really a dearth of restaurants around here right now... this was big talk at the beginning of the summer? I can't remember with all this snow talk... :D

The Valley is crying out for Mexican... we just need someone to come in with enough cash to survive the costs of opening and whatnot... so many possible locations come to mind...

Raise your hand if you miss Miguel's...

shadyjay
11-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Since I've been coming to the 'Bush since 1990, restaurants have changed hands all over the place. I remember the days of "House of the Two Moons", Sam Ruperts, Blue Tooth, Bass, Peppers, Common Man, Miguels, DW Pearls, Mooselips, and Gallaghers. All have new names or have changed hands, except Common Man. When my parents were up a few weeks ago and were trying to decide on places to eat, I told them the selection is limited now. Timbers was booked with a private party, so we went to the Hyde Away and it was pretty good. Now that I live up here, I enjoy a little place in Waterbury called "my house" where the food's always good and the beer is always cold :)

noski
11-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Spotted Cow will begin serving dinner on Friday and Saturdays. Italian fare (no Mexican, sorry) with pricing $14-21. I ate at a "invitation dinner" there this week and had veggie lasagne. It was almost more than I could eat, and very tasty. I may try the linguine with clam sauce next time. There is about....8 entrees, a few apps, a few desserts. You should call for a reservation, but it is not required. Serving only until 8:30.

ski_resort_observer
11-15-2007, 11:05 PM
The little Donut Company is for sale also. You can get Mexican food at Mexican at the Village Cremee. Cheap prices. The folks who owned the Country Flair recently bought Perellies Pizza in Waitsfield.

jkvt
11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
...All have new names or have changed hands, except Common Man. When my parents were up a few weeks ago and were trying to decide on places to eat, I told them the selection is limited now. ... Now that I live up here, I enjoy a little place in Waterbury called "my house" where the food's always good and the beer is always cold :)

Actually Common Man does have new owners. But they do a great job. As Susan mentioned Spotted Cow is opening for dinners with limited seating.

That "My House" place sounds good, what are the hours ;-)

jkvt

jkvt
11-19-2007, 02:57 PM
The little Donut Company is for sale also. You can get Mexican food at Mexican at the Village Cremee. Cheap prices. The folks who owned the Country Flair recently bought Perellies Pizza in Waitsfield.

You can get what is called a burrito at the Creemee stand, but calling it Mexican food is pushing the barriers of both food and language. The jalipino poppers were the best thing there.

jkvt

BushMogulMaster
11-19-2007, 03:42 PM

You can get what is called a burrito at the Creemee stand, but calling it Mexican food is pushing the barriers of both food and language. The jalipino poppers were the best thing there.

jkvt

:lol: I was just going to say the same thing. Yeah, they sell "burritos" and "enchiladas" and those kinds of "Mexican" foods, but I don't think I could ever actually consider it "Mexican Food."

But hey... the frozen treats are always delicious!

Yard Sale
11-19-2007, 04:27 PM
The Common Man has new owners? Are they new this year or are they "new" as in the couple that has owned it for only a couple of years? I don't think I made it there last year, but prior to last year I found the food and service at the Common Man to be quite good. What about the 1824 House? I've heard good things, but have yet to venture off mountain to try it out.

ski_resort_observer
11-19-2007, 05:56 PM
I kind of felt obligated to mention the mexican food at the Village Creamee since the owner and I go back to our Wyoming days in the mid-70's. It's mexican take out. He has abit more than mentioned. He makes his own salsa and mexican rice and the quasadillas are decent. The jalepeno poppers are good. He also open on the weekends and Wed night till 7PM during the off season. It's fast, cheap and if you don't want to cook up some tex-mex at home/condo it might work for ya.

Yup, the restaurant choices have become abit slimmer but there are still a bunch of good places to go from the reasonably priced Hyde Away to Timbers, Pitcher Inn and the Common Man for fine dining. Here's a list from the chamber
http://www.madrivervalley.com/vermont/dining/by_type.asp?catid=64
http://www.madrivervalley.com/vermont/dining/by_type.asp?catid=95

Lostone
11-19-2007, 07:31 PM
I believe the "new owners" of The Common Man are the new owners of a few years ago.

Word I got was that they were doing pretty well at it.

That said, if anyone has recently tried them or anyplace else in the area, please help out those who are looking for a selection by giving their opinions in our 2007/08 Restaurant Guide thread. (http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?p=13475#13475)

Thanx! :)

jkvt
11-23-2007, 04:29 PM
The Common Man has new owners? Are they new this year or are they "new" as in the couple that has owned it for only a couple of years? I don't think I made it there last year, but prior to last year I found the food and service at the Common Man to be quite good. What about the 1824 House? I've heard good things, but have yet to venture off mountain to try it out.

Keith Paxman took over for Michael Ware a couple years ago. Food has been fantastic and they added a bistrot menu for the bar. Not the cheapest place in town, but it has been worth the money every time I have been there.

jkvt

tomthumb
11-28-2007, 01:50 PM
1824 House Inn is a nice meal. Similar price range as the Common Man. Sweetwood Bar & Grill is also a good choice. The Purple Moon has a limited pub menu, but everything I've had there has been good. The Easy Street Cafe dinners are also worth a try.

I think someone should buy the former Country Flair space annd make a brew pub. Every ski resort needs a brew pub. Good beer, cheap eats, I'd hit that.

We do need a new Miguels for sure.

Strat
11-28-2007, 03:38 PM
1824 House Inn is a nice meal. Similar price range as the Common Man. Sweetwood Bar & Grill is also a good choice. The Purple Moon has a limited pub menu, but everything I've had there has been good. The Easy Street Cafe dinners are also worth a try.

Don't forget Egan's!

8)

Lostone
11-28-2007, 04:25 PM
The problem with places staying open is... not enough people go to them, often enough.

I've heard people say they were sorry that The Den closed. They said they went there a couple times a year. I didn't ask, but I'm sure that those days were Friday and Saturday evenings. These places have to have food and staff for the rest of the week, and the other weeks, too.

When I lived a different life, I used to eat out, as above, a couple times a year. Mostly they were Saturdays. Then I switched ski houses, and the house I was in had a meal plan. That took most Saturday nights.

Every once in a while, I'd go out on Sunday or Monday nights. You wouldn't believe the difference! They were so happy to see us! It went from how long we would have to wait, to where would we like to sit. :)

Now, I'm on a different budget. The prices at Jim's are much more reasonable, for me, and although Gerry isn't making the food, and the quality may be a step or two down... take a look at me some time. (If you dare! :lol: ) I'm not missing a lot of meals. :wink:

If you like a place, and want a place like that to be available, patronize it. Bring some friends. The rules are simple. if they have enough business to make it, they'll likely stay in business for quite a while. If not...? They get added to the list. :?

outofshape
12-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Late night crepes always hit the spot. For parents here's a no brainer on a Sat night for the kids..Make your own sundaes. I like to watch Watch cider donuts drop in the oil to cook and eat on Sunday morning (Cider Hollow-esque). Maybe someone could have a good bakery component where people headed home can take home a loaf to make sandwhiches.

Mexican? Unless Rosa Mexicana moves up to Warren from Midtown NYC, I am taking a short position on Mex.

I really do wish them well whoever grabs the place and I will be sure to try it out.