PDA

View Full Version : November 17-18th: Roll Call

summitchallenger
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Win and crew have been cranking out the snow. Mother nature looks like she is going to give us some more. Special preview of a great season is this weekend.

Who's game????

Barring any unforeseen issues, I will be there both days.

Let's say 10am meeting at Allyn's Lodge for those who want to meet and greet and take some turns?

shadyjay
11-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Also barring unforseen circumstances, I'll be there Sat. Seems like the perfect day - first turns of the season in the AM, Warren Miller film in B-town at night. Don't have to work at WAB station until Sunday nite, so I may get out for some turns Sun as well and see just how out of shape I am, though I'm sure my late-season hiking didn't hurt matters.

As my cousin would say, if he didn't call me up today with a bum knee (having to sit out his 2nd season in a row)...... "Probably Should" "Got To!"

-Jay

summitchallenger
11-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Awesome, Shadyjay.

Hey, if you're going to be taking turns, shoot me a PM and I can let you know what my mug looks like....

Lostone
11-14-2007, 10:29 PM
The plan is working Saturday and playing Sunday. Have no idea where I'll be Saturday, as the schedules are made that day. If I'm on the mountain at all, I expect to be helping at the top of Bravo. (The chair... Not the trail. :wink: ) If it is light, I'll get in a run or two during my lunch cycle.

If it gets crowded, on Sunday, Ill have to sit out until it is uncrowded. I won't love that, but won't really be bothered, either. There is a chance that I'll get my skiing in. :wink:

HowieT2
11-15-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm there. orange backpack. See you all at the SuperBravo.

summitchallenger
11-15-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm there. orange backpack. See you all at the SuperBravo.

Awesome. So Shadyjay, me, and Howie.

I'll be at Allyn's at 10am. PM to be sent...

Lostone
11-15-2007, 07:43 PM
You might want to look around, as you're meeting. There are a few replies on this thread... and 184 views! :shock:

We have so many lurkers! :roll:

Let them know they are welcome, and maybe you'll pick up a few more. :wink:

I'll be around, and hope to see y'all, but I'll be working, so I'll be location limited... but it will be a long season, so we'll surely meet eventually. I look a lot like the guy to my left. :lol:

summitchallenger
11-15-2007, 07:53 PM
You might want to look around, as you're meeting. There are a few replies on this thread... and 184 views! :shock:

We have so many lurkers! :roll:

Let them know they are welcome, and maybe you'll pick up a few more. :wink:

I'll be around, and hope to see y'all, but I'll be working, so I'll be location limited... but it will be a long season, so we'll surely meet eventually. I look a lot like the guy to my left. :lol:

No, you're right on there. Anyone is welcome here....10am at Allyn's....let's say on the front righthand corner or so....

teleo
11-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Same time & place on Sun? I don't think I'll make it out Sat, but I'll try and swing by Sun if people are planning on being there.

summitchallenger
11-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Same time & place on Sun? I don't think I'll make it out Sat, but I'll try and swing by Sun if people are planning on being there.

That's the plan.

PM sent.

summitchallenger
11-16-2007, 08:08 PM
See you all this weekend!!!!!!!!

shadyjay
11-17-2007, 04:36 PM
So................... first day thoughts anyone?
I was there from 10 until about 1 and lapped jester/downspout. Jester was nice - like mid winter. Downspout was....well.... you do the math. Everyone on the mountain going down the same trail. It actually wasn't too bad, but got progressively more "skied off" in the middle as the hours went by. The right side was still nice. My legs just couldn't take any more for the first day. Organgrinder did look tempting but I will have many more days to give that trail a shot. I'm not going down it for the first time on my first day out for the season. Jester seemed like it was going to be crowded up top, but going down, had it all to myself for a good portion of the run. The long trails at the Castlerock Pub tasted extra good today. We'll see how I'm doing regarding tomorrow. Though they do say...... "no pain no gain".

summitchallenger
11-17-2007, 04:59 PM
I was there from 10 until about 1 and lapped jester/downspout. Jester was nice - like mid winter. Downspout was....well.... you do the math. Everyone on the mountain going down the same trail. It actually wasn't too bad, but got progressively more "skied off" in the middle as the hours went by. The right side was still nice. My legs just couldn't take any more for the first day. Organgrinder did look tempting but I will have many more days to give that trail a shot. I'm not going down it for the first time on my first day out for the season. Jester seemed like it was going to be crowded up top, but going down, had it all to myself for a good portion of the run. The long trails at the Castlerock Pub tasted extra good today. We'll see how I'm doing regarding tomorrow. Though they do say...... "no pain no gain".

I waited from 10-1015 or so....then headed for some runs. I can be at Allyn's at 10 am tomorrow again (let's say underneath the trail map out front) if anyone wants to take some runs.

HowieT2
11-17-2007, 07:54 PM

I waited from 10-1015 or so....then headed for some runs. I can be at Allyn's at 10 am tomorrow again (let's say underneath the trail map out front) if anyone wants to take some runs.

Sorry I missed you, but on my way, shortly after 10 AM I lost a ski on Organgrinder (which by the way was fantastically awesome until such time as my ski took leave of me). I AM NOT KIDDING. I have Win as my witness, the thing was just up and gone (Win Thank you for helping me look). So while you were lounging at Alyn's I was digging through the snow. Finally I skied down grinder on one ski, hiked up to the SB and went down and got new skis. Bummer. So a bittersweet day for me.
They have old demos the same as I had (k2 Apache crossfire) but 7cm longer, they will sell me for $200. I'm going to look around the internet before deciding. Any advice is appreciated.

The mountain looks great. Looks like a couple more snows from Mother Nature and the whole thing will be open.

win
11-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Sorry I didn't stay longer. I was skiing with some folks and had to catch up! Losing a ski in powder on 11/17? That must be a record. We will find it sometime after Cinco de Mayo - never fear!

boze
11-18-2007, 08:02 AM
For the record, that's the 2nd ski Howie has 'abandoned' at Sugarbush. The previous one was lost in the vicinity of skier's exteme left of Lower Paradise Woods where some rather fine tree skiing merges with Bailout. Maybe someone came across that this past Cinco de Mayo. And it's just too bad one can't wear a pair of mis-matched skis as easily as you can with mis-placed socks!

Sorry, Howie, just too good a story not to share...

HowieT2
11-18-2007, 09:12 AM
For the record, that's the 2nd ski Howie has 'abandoned' at Sugarbush. The previous one was lost in the vicinity of skier's exteme left of Lower Paradise Woods where some rather fine tree skiing merges with Bailout. Maybe someone came across that this past Cinco de Mayo. And it's just too bad one can't wear a pair of mis-matched skis as easily as you can with mis-placed socks!

Sorry, Howie, just too good a story not to share...

That first incident was much more enjoyable. I had wanted new skis anyway and there was copious light powder in the woods where the ski could have disappeared. Yesterday was quite perplexing. Most annoying was looking for the ski while everyone passing asked "you lost a ski?" in an incredulous manner. Not that I wouldn't be doing the same thing, but it was no fun ot keep saying "yeah I lost a ski". Furthermore, I liked my skis and was hoping to spend my time/money looking into new boots. Oh well. Looking into attaching tracking beacon/gps to my skis.

Lostone
11-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Much better turnout than yesterday's. :D

There were a ton of participants of the board there, but there were three of us who actually made runs together, as part of the board get-together. More in my reply to Summit Challenger's trip report. :wink:

11-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Much better turnout than yesterday's. :D

There were a ton of participants of the board there, but there were three of us who actually made runs together, as part of the board get-together. More in my reply to Summit Challenger's trip report. :wink:

It's a start. AZ gatherings started with small groups; now we have groups in the teens regularly. Wait until the AZ gathering on Good Friday...

summitchallenger
11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Again, nothing formal folks...just some runs together if you want...meet and greet...

11-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Typically what happens at the AZ getherings is we all meet up and take a few runs together. Then smaller groups break off naturally based on terrain preference and ability. If the SkiMRV gatherings start to gain in size, don't make an effort to try and keep the whole group together. It turns out that many of the guys I initially met at an AZ gathering are my primary ski buddies now...