PDA

View Full Version : Snowmaking Progress Report

summitchallenger
11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
How's it going up there? Any progress? Have temps been too warm? Too humid?

And Win, have you been done any "product testing" yet?

Lostone
11-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Unofficial reply, is that they have been making snow all day, and now that the temps are dropping, they'll likely continue. :wink:

I've not been up on the hill, but the guns were clearly going on Jester, as I drove up the mountain, today. 8)

ski_resort_observer
11-07-2007, 07:58 PM
From this afternoon
http://www.snowjournal.com/images/gallery_snowjournal/47325afa0cd2e.jpg

stephen boze
11-07-2007, 08:28 PM
I can not wait to get on the slopes to ski on the powdery snow ! :D howie if u read this I can not wait to ski withe u ben me and my dad. 8)

Lostone
11-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Great view! Where is that from?

ski_resort_observer
11-07-2007, 08:42 PM
From outside the Conference Center across the street from the Sugarbush Inn.

Lostone
11-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I'll have to look around, there. I've taken a few shots from standing on the rock at the German Flats side, but I think your view is better than what I got, then. Like that view! :)

win
11-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Yup. Moving down the mountain as the temperatures fall down low!

skiladi
11-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Yup. Moving down the mountain as the temperatures fall down low!

YES!

ski_resort_observer
11-08-2007, 09:51 AM
I'll have to look around, there. I've taken a few shots from standing on the rock at the German Flats side, but I think your view is better than what I got, then. Like that view! :)

I think I was right in front of said rock. :D

Hawk
11-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Sunday River reopened again today. :( See the link for details.
http://news.alpinezone.com/19682/

After the mountain is done with the amenity upgrades I hope they concentrate on snowmaking upgrades.

Tin Woodsman
11-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Sunday River reopened again today. :( See the link for details.
http://news.alpinezone.com/19682/

After the mountain is done with the amenity upgrades I hope they concentrate on snowmaking upgrades.
Amen.

win
11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Actually, we are and have been and think we are in quite good shape. Some like the fans guns and they work on some mountains. We are not convinced that they are the best equipment for us. The new low energy nozzles we put on two winters ago are working really well and not only using less energy but producing a very good product as all experienced last winter. We also retrofitted a number of older guns this summer and repaired a number of towers to get even more capacity on certain trails this winter.
right now we have a good 18 inch base on Upper Jester and have guns firing on Jester and Downspout all the way to the bottom of the Heaven's Gate lift. Our goal is to have at least Jester, Downspout, Organgrinder and top to bottom as well as some beginner terrain by opening two weeks from today. The forecast is looking good through Monday. While we might warm up for a couple of days longer term it looks like good temperatures again later in the week. Keep your fingers crossed that Mother Nature is going to deliver a good early and long season. If you are making a wish, it is better to have really cold temperatures now and then a lot of snow after the ground freezes. See you on the slopes soon.

Tin Woodsman
11-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Actually, we are and have been and think we are in quite good shape. Some like the fans guns and they work on some mountains. We are not convinced that they are the best equipment for us. The new low energy nozzles we put on two winters ago are working really well and not only using less energy but producing a very good product as all experienced last winter.
Have you experienced any clogging problems with these guns? I've heard a lot of chatter about this. Anyone who has ridden up the HG triple while snowmaking was ongoing on Ripcord couldn't help but to notice the long beards those nozzles grow while in operation. Can't argue that the product is great when the temps are right.

We also retrofitted a number of older guns this summer and repaired a number of towers to get even more capacity on certain trails this winter.
Care to let us know where we can find 'em?

right now we have a good 18 inch base on Upper Jester and have guns firing on Jester and Downspout all the way to the bottom of the Heaven's Gate lift. Our goal is to have at least Jester, Downspout, Organgrinder and top to bottom as well as some beginner terrain by opening two weeks from today. The forecast is looking good through Monday. While we might warm up for a couple of days longer term it looks like good temperatures again later in the week. Keep your fingers crossed that Mother Nature is going to deliver a good early and long season. If you are making a wish, it is better to have really cold temperatures now and then a lot of snow after the ground freezes. See you on the slopes soon.

With the consistent window of good snowmaking temps through Monday and the possibility of some natural help and a resumption of good snowmaking temps on Thursday, is there any chance you push the opening earlier?

Hawk
11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I know you guys are working on making the system better and it is showing. Actually it is unfair to compare the two resorts. Otten poured millions into the snow making and combine that with basically zero water or power restrictions and it's hard to compete. Anyway I have to feed my addiction and will make the journey tomorrow. Got some old friends to pester. I will let you all know if it was any good. 8)[/quote]

ManyTurns
11-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Keep posting the pictures guys! Here in the mid-Pacific these are the only views of snow I get!

I'm the sacrificial something-or-rether. While I'm on sabbatical 600 miles north of the equator, you guys should get great snow, and lots of fluffy powder.
So expect two great winters ahead!

But don't worry about me... hopefully I'll have strong winds out here.

summitchallenger
11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the update Win.

BushMogulMaster
11-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Have you experienced any clogging problems with these guns? I've heard a lot of chatter about this. Anyone who has ridden up the HG triple while snowmaking was ongoing on Ripcord couldn't help but to notice the long beards those nozzles grow while in operation. Can't argue that the product is great when the temps are right.

Tin -- it isn't necessarily related to clogged nozzles. These beards form from unfrozen water particles that collect beneath the chamber and freeze. They can grow to pretty amazing sizes give a little opposite-direction wind. They get very heavy, and some poor snowmaker has to knock 'em down and try not to get hit in the head!

summitchallenger
11-10-2007, 08:52 PM
It's been really nice and cold this weekend. Any chance we can move that opening day up, Win? :wink: :wink: :?: Pretty please??? :wink:

random_ski_guy
11-11-2007, 08:46 AM
The snow making weather has been great, so what's the good word on the mtn? With these cold nights are the guns running on lower downspout, lower jester and gondolier in preparation to open with top to bottom skiing?

Don't be shy with the pictures, feel free to post'em if you got'em.

win
11-11-2007, 08:58 AM
We now have really good depth on Jester down to Allyn's Lodge and on Downspout. The depth is 2-3 feet so it will withstand any curve ball from Mother Nature. The next priority is Upper Organgrinder to get the same depth on that. Then we will march downhill on lower downspout and Gondolier and/or Coffee Run to get top to bottom. We will be experiencing warmer weather beginning Monday through Thursday, so we might not be able to make snow for a couple of days, but it looks like good temperatures will return later in the week. I am feeing very good that we will have really good skiing and riding on at least Upper Jester Downspout and Upper Organgrinder with both theBravo and Heaven's Gate lifts running. If we can't get to the bottom we will down load on Bravo, but we will make every attempt to get to the bottom if we have the temperatures. We are also shooting for some beginner terrain. (I had a grandson who is readly to get on skis) Allyn's Lodge, The Gate House and Timbers will be open Thanksgiving Day.

random_ski_guy
11-11-2007, 09:33 AM
sounds great, thanks for the update win. and congrats on the next generation of skier/riders.

win
11-11-2007, 06:12 PM
I hiked up Jester to Heaven's Gate this morning and then down Organgrinder and Downspout to check things out. We have excellent depth and quality from Allyn's Lodge up Jester to the summit. The top third of Downspout was the same. We had guns running all day on all of Upper Grinder and the bottom third of Downspout and both are coming in really nice. We will stay there until the temperatures rise tomorrow, but they should be in very good shape by them. It does look like we will be out of snowmaking later on Monday until Thursday. If the temperatures allow, we will move to get to the bottom by Thanksgiving. If not we will have some excellent skiing and riding up top and download on Bravo. It is almost here!

Yard Sale
11-11-2007, 06:45 PM
It's rare, but it happens. That is when you're envious of someone who is working on a Sunday afternoon.
Thanks for the update Win.

summitchallenger
11-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Sounds like no chance of opening up sooner.... :(

win
11-12-2007, 03:42 PM
never know

boze
11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
'Never know'...well, not until your Marketing Team forces it out of you, Win!

Would someone please ply Win with a few tumblers of fine Scotch and get the answer....I'll [happily] buy!

HowieT2
11-12-2007, 08:04 PM

Would someone please ply Win with a few tumblers of fine Scotch and get the answer....I'll [happily] buy!

Sounds like someone has to start laying the groundwork with the wife.

Yard Sale
11-12-2007, 08:13 PM

Don't we all?

skiladi
11-12-2007, 08:18 PM

HUH? It was pretty warm when I left today and I hiked yesterday. I stayed away from the action and I can tell you there is not enough natural to make a difference unless the storm prediction for the weekend comes through. It is what it is. The snowmaking looked good and T-day should be fine. See ya there! ; }

HowieT2
11-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Don't we all?

I had a head start so I'm pre approved. Will be there Friday.

summitchallenger
11-13-2007, 08:37 AM
How are we holding up with this icky weather???