PDA

View Full Version : Allyn Lodge? Glen House? Other?

summitchallenger
11-04-2007, 10:37 AM
So which one do you prefer? Allyn's is cool and is in a nice location. But one has to admit that the views from Glen House up FIS are incredible. It may not be as rustic, because of the cinderblock walls and all, but it has a lot of natural light and flush toilets. My vote is for Glen House...April style (beers on the deck, rays of sun in the face).

BushMogulMaster
11-04-2007, 10:48 AM
So which one do you prefer? Allyn's is cool and is in a nice location. But one has to admit that the views from Glen House up FIS are incredible. It may not be as rustic, because of the cinderblock walls and all, but it has a lot of natural light and flush toilets. My vote is for Glen House...April style (beers on the deck, rays of sun in the face).

Glen House all the way!

But alas, don't expect to enjoy it in April for the time being. Mt. Ellen closes March 31st.

kcyanks1
11-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Unlike BMM, who obviously is always biased toward North :-), I prefer South but still say it's no contest...Glen House wins this one. Allyn's is just so far from a real lodge (no real pluming, limited food).

Lostone
11-04-2007, 02:19 PM
They are totally different animals.

Glen house wins, hands down for plumbing and food service. For Ambiance it is Allyn's, all the way!

And, you forgot to mention the fireplace. :wink:

Glen House is a great place to warm up and get a snack. Anyone try the sandwiches there, last season? Great!

But Allyn's is nice for a mid-mountain break, where you feel you're in an old time lodge.

Actually, I think heir positions should be swapped. I think Allyn's fits much better with the lodge at North, and Glen house with the cafeteria, at South. 8)

As it is, I have a standard policy of only stopping at the Glen House, when I'm at North, and Allyn's when I'm at South. :lol:

ski_resort_observer
11-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I chose other as I have never been in either place but had most excellent sandwiches out of the back of Andy Zee and Vee's SUV at Mt Ellen during a lunch break. If I do take a break it's always at Green Mt Lodge enjoying a Hot Chocolate on the back deck.

Lostone
11-04-2007, 05:38 PM
WHAT????? You've never been in the Glen House or Allyn's??? :shock:

How have you managed that? I wouldn't say either was life changing, or anything, but wouldn't you at least want to see what it looks like, inside? :?

If nothing else, it is sometimes easier to take a break without going to the bottom. Something about, when it is cold, you can start skiing, instead of riding a lift. Generate a little heat before the cold ride?

HowieT2
11-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Can't really compare given the lack of much of anything at Alyn's. I do love the fireplace though. It should be illegal to have a ski lodge without a huge fireplace.

summitchallenger
11-04-2007, 07:37 PM
The fireplace is nice...I will give you that one...

Hawk
11-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Allyn's - better karma and I am partial to post & beam and stonework. :)

ski_resort_observer
11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
WHAT????? You've never been in the Glen House or Allyn's??? :shock:

How have you managed that? I wouldn't say either was life changing, or anything, but wouldn't you at least want to see what it looks like, inside? :?

If nothing else, it is sometimes easier to take a break without going to the bottom. Something about, when it is cold, you can start skiing, instead of riding a lift. Generate a little heat before the cold ride?

Now that I think about it I guess it's abit strange. Heck, my good buddy Strolz used to work at the Glen House. I guess I'm more concerned with keeping up speed and at the same time not hitting anyone as I cruise thru than stopping in the Glen House for a break. I always start and finish at Mt Ellen so I guess the back deck of GML almost feels like home. Plus, it was fun to watch the kids in the halfpipe. :D

As far as Allyns Lodge, I don't like Jester and there hasn't been much of a reason to stop at Allyns although I know things have improved there. I just ski at south then either take SBX or the shuttle back to Mt Ellen to finish the day. I do have to admit that based on last spring, being at South/LP base was alot of fun and already looking forward to that for the spring of 08. I haven't ever stopped at Allyn's but I photograph it. Below is one from last winter.

Fireplaces are warm and cozy, for sure. I lived in a poorly insulated cabin out west for many years which had no central heat just a good ole Vermont Casting woodstove to keep the me warm and more importantly, the pipes from freezing during those bouts of -40F weather we used to get out there. Nowadays I'm concerned with wood smoke pollution. Many towns out west, including where I lived, wood smoke pollution is a BIG problem. I applaud Win and SV for not putting wood fireplaces in Claybrook and Gatehouse.

I think if I stopped at Glen House on a cold day and sat in front of the fireplace, took off my boots, I would probably fall asleep due to the comfort and warmth. :wink:

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album23/BushAllyns.jpg

Lostone
11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Actually, if you fell asleep by the fireplace at the Glen House... it would be odd. Because you'd have to have been dreaming when you saw the fireplace. :lol:

Allyn's has the fireplace. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: There you go...maybe I should have at least checked them out.

skiladi
11-05-2007, 04:18 PM
SRO , you don't like Jester? On the right day it can be a real hoot! ; }

shadyjay
11-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Here's a question......... when was the last time the Heaven's Gate warming house was open? Was/Is it pretty much like what the Castlerock hut is - which I hit up on my Gap2Gap hike over the summer - great place to relax for a bit, but nothing else.

Glen House all the way, back on topic. Perfect location - right at 2 lifts. Viewing and great views on clear days. And a BBQ on the deck makes me miss late season at North even more. But since last season, everything was open almost right to the end, the ambiance wasn't there of a single solitary hopping place on mountain. Not like the last days at North in previous seasons, where all you had was the upper tier above the Summit Quad. Last season in mid/late April, you could go all over South. Mid-winter conditions in April.
...until the last weekend or so, IIRC.

Lostone
11-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't believe the Heaven's Gate warming hut is ever closed. No rest rooms or food service, but when I have needed it (admittedly, very seldom) it was heaven- ('s gate? :lol: ) sent. :wink: