PDA

View Full Version : Nice Interview

slaw
10-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey Win,

Nice interview on CNCB with Maria. You looked very relaxed! Maybe you can get the MER board up to the conference room at Claybrook to pick Stan's successor. NIce. Pretty good press for a "ski bum".

win
10-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks. Being a "ski bum" isn't all that bad these days! The guns are running and the top of Lincoln Peak is looking white. Hopefully is a little over 3 weeks we will be doing some turns!

thedisemboweler
11-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks. Being a "ski bum" isn't all that bad these days! The guns are running and the top of Lincoln Peak is looking white. Hopefully is a little over 3 weeks we will be doing some turns!

i saw the interview in business week....is that bldg ur home? im not a big fan of maria b. my first 12 years of my life were in bensonhurst which is next door to her hood bayridge....i have a bit of a corporate finance background myself....i actually understand present value & time value of money :lol: :lol: was a finance major at my beloved www.iup.edu

win
11-06-2007, 06:55 PM
That is the top of Timbers Restaurant (the round barn) and our new Clay Brook slopeside residences.

thedisemboweler
11-06-2007, 07:18 PM
That is the top of Timbers Restaurant (the round barn) and our new Clay Brook slopeside residences.

oh okay....very nice....i cant wait to come up to sugarbush. ive only been there once.

Lostone
11-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Although there is always interplay on internet boards, I think you'll mainly be judged on this board by things you post, on this board.

And as for your switching to Sugarbush, from K-mart, I hope and expect that you'll find it to be an upgrade. Nice mountain, nice people, nice location. Just... nice. :wink:

(Edited to remove a reaction to an edited post. :? )

win
11-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Welcome to The Bush. I look forward to meeting you on the slopes!

thedisemboweler
11-06-2007, 08:42 PM
[quote="Lostone"]Although there is always interplay on internet boards, I think you'll mainly be judged on this board by things you post, on this board.

And as for your switching to Sugarbush, from K-mart, I hope and expect that you'll find it to be an upgrade. Nice mountain, nice people, nice location. Just... nice. :wink:

the one time i was at sb was saturday of pres weekend 1997....i was in shock....2 woman were in front of the ticket windows putting the lift tickets on ur jacket 4 u, everyone was smiling & friendly, the bumps were great, then we went into one of the lodges on the mtn & the shock hit me. i couldnt believe how nice the place was & how friendly all the people were. i kept saying to my 2 buddies this is my kinda place. i never forgot that experience. u have a true gem there in warren. im looking forward to coming up. i remember driving back to k in my buddies truck shaking my head saying i wish k was like this. its nice to be around polite friendly folks. a great vibe.

thedisemboweler
11-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Welcome to The Bush. I look forward to meeting you on the slopes!

thank you. i look forward to meeting you too. thanks for droping by kzone. thats the first time we've had a ceo post :lol: :lol:

Tin Woodsman
11-06-2007, 10:43 PM
the one time i was at sb was saturday of pres weekend 1997....i was in shock....2 woman were in front of the ticket windows putting the lift tickets on ur jacket 4 u, everyone was smiling & friendly, the bumps were great, then we went into one of the lodges on the mtn & the shock hit me. i couldnt believe how nice the place was & how friendly all the people were. i kept saying to my 2 buddies this is my kinda place. i never forgot that experience. u have a true gem there in warren. im looking forward to coming up. i remember driving back to k in my buddies truck shaking my head saying i wish k was like this. its nice to be around polite friendly folks. a great vibe.

Yeah, it's a different vibe alright. I used to be a K-Mart aficionado. Did the whole share house thing. Loved the place. Then I re-discovered SB after 20 years and everything changed. The vibe of the MRV is completely different than K-Mart and places to the South - a real community with deep roots. You don't get the NY and Boston lunatics who prefer a shorter drive to a higher quality skiing experience (self selection is a wonderful thing), and it shows. I don't care what the marketing goofs say, SB/MRG receive notably more snow than K-Mart. Maybe the Canyon area is close in snowfall, but the Bear Mtn side and over towards RH don't get nearly as much. You want variety? Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen are dramatically different in size, shape, and character. Then there is MRG for an even bigger change of pace (and time).

Though there isn't as much acreage listed on the trail map, you don't get cheated on vertical here. The usable vertical at K-Mart is really 2100' at best (K-Peak down to Bear base) but the skiable vertical on any given lift is where you get hosed. You've got just three lifts (two on Tuesday/Wednesday) giving you more than 1200' vertical (Skyeship [and who laps Stage 1?], K-1 and Skye Peak Quad), so each run is relatively short vs. K-Mart's northern peers. By contrast, SB offers 6 lifts with greater than 1200' vertical (though to be fair, Valley House is only open Saturdays and holidays) and it's a legit 22000-2400' vertical at each mountain. MRG adds two more lifts with 1400" vertical or more.

While SB has some eyesores that are relics of lousy 80s thinking (Elbow and Ripcord come to mind), most of its trails are quite distinct with individual character - they don't look or ski alike. Suffice it to say, this isn't the case at K. And the off-piste....let's just say that I think SB compares quite favorably and MRG makes it no comparison at all.

You've chosen...wisely.

thedisemboweler
11-07-2007, 08:35 AM

Yeah, it's a different vibe alright. I used to be a K-Mart aficionado. Did the whole share house thing. Loved the place. Then I re-discovered SB after 20 years and everything changed. The vibe of the MRV is completely different than K-Mart and places to the South - a real community with deep roots. You don't get the NY and Boston lunatics who prefer a shorter drive to a higher quality skiing experience (self selection is a wonderful thing), and it shows. I don't care what the marketing goofs say, SB/MRG receive notably more snow than K-Mart. Maybe the Canyon area is close in snowfall, but the Bear Mtn side and over towards RH don't get nearly as much. You want variety? Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen are dramatically different in size, shape, and character. Then there is MRG for an even bigger change of pace (and time).

Though there isn't as much acreage listed on the trail map, you don't get cheated on vertical here. The usable vertical at K-Mart is really 2100' at best (K-Peak down to Bear base) but the skiable vertical on any given lift is where you get hosed. You've got just three lifts (two on Tuesday/Wednesday) giving you more than 1200' vertical (Skyeship [and who laps Stage 1?], K-1 and Skye Peak Quad), so each run is relatively short vs. K-Mart's northern peers. By contrast, SB offers 6 lifts with greater than 1200' vertical (though to be fair, Valley House is only open Saturdays and holidays) and it's a legit 22000-2400' vertical at each mountain. MRG adds two more lifts with 1400" vertical or more.

While SB has some eyesores that are relics of lousy 80s thinking (Elbow and Ripcord come to mind), most of its trails are quite distinct with individual character - they don't look or ski alike. Suffice it to say, this isn't the case at K. And the off-piste....let's just say that I think SB compares quite favorably and MRG makes it no comparison at all.

You've chosen...wisely.

im a creature of habit & when i find a nice bump trail i stay on it until i drop....ie upper wildfire, needles eye, needles lift line etc....i like a moderate angle trail-not too steep-with nice soft staircases, which i found my first time at sb....look forward to meeting u guys when i come up....ull probably see me with junior from kzone. i have been staying at www.turnofriverlodge.com on rt 4 in k for 10 years....great owner & great people that stay there....anything like trl in sb?

Tin Woodsman
11-07-2007, 10:01 AM
im a creature of habit & when i find a nice bump trail i stay on it until i drop....ie upper wildfire, needles eye, needles lift line etc....i like a moderate angle trail-not too steep-with nice soft staircases, which i found my first time at sb....look forward to meeting u guys when i come up....ull probably see me with junior from kzone. i have been staying at www.turnofriverlodge.com on rt 4 in k for 10 years....great owner & great people that stay there....anything like trl in sb?

If you're looking for moderately-pitched bumps, you're in luck. Lots of good options up here. At LP, you've got Moonshine and Twist that immediately come to mind. These are natural runs (softer bumps) with a legit 1000-1200' vertical, twists and turns and relatively sparse traffic (think Northstar at K). For more of a test, both in terms of your skills and endurance, check out Middle Earth and Castlerock Run to either Lower Castlerock Run or Cotillion. You'll be dealing with about 1700' vertical of twisting, turning, character-filled bumps. These runs at Castlerock get groomed maybe 3-4 times per year at most and, due to the limited capacity on the Castlerock lift (one double chair every 30 seconds or so - 250 pph), you generally have these runs to yourself. Finally, check out the North Lynx triple. This lift is generally one of the last to open at LP and is almost never crowded but has two great bump runs. Morning Star under the lift is an old t-bar liftline that is about as consistent as it gets. Sunrise, to your right as you exit the chair, is steeper and much more wide open. Both runs face the sun, so it's a nice place to be on a cold (or warm) sunny day for soft bumps. Occasionally, they'll let bump lines build up on all or part of Birdland and Murphy's Glade off of the Super Bravo chair and I would highly recommend trying them out if that's the case.

All that said, I know there are a number of people who think the bumps at ME are even better. You mentioned "moderately pitched", so in my mind that leaves out Black Diamond, FIS and most of Exterminator. For openers, I'd give Cliffs, Hammerhead and Tumbler a try. Each has a dramaticaly different look and feel with twists, turns, steeps and occasional flats (or at least less steeps). If you want to kick it up a notch, Bravo under the upper part of the North Ridge Express liftline is the ticket. Starts out at a great pitch, steepens dramatically for a few turns on a headwall (about 1/2 to 2/3 as long but a bit steeper than the Viper Pit, for example) and then eases off the gas. You can always bail out to the left onto the lower part of Exterminator if you want to avoid the headwall. Alternatively, you can keep heading right down the NRX liftline to Encore, which is generally allowed to bump up but doesn't get much traffic. If you want a real adventure, check out Lower FIS for about 1400' vertical of consistent pitch that will get bumped up if there is suffificent snow and hence traffic (doesn't get much traffic, if it's open at all, in low snow years/periods).

All that said, I think the gem of the entire SB trail system is Semi-Tough off the Inverness quad at ME. Perfect moderate pitch (the GMVS racers are doing slalom and GS training on the exact same pitch on the trail next door) that is about 20-30' wide at most. Again, it features unceasing twists and turns but, what I really like about it is that it steps on the gas for about 10-15 turns, eases off, turns a corner, and then steps right back on it. You can rest after each section, or take 2-4 at a time. This is a natural snow trail at low elevation and with a due E aspect , so you want to time your arrival well. But if you do, the rewards are plentiful. In my mind, this is the perfect run for building your bumping skills without killing your knees or your ego. And b/c you could read War and Peace in one ride on the interminable Inverness Quad, that entire pod is usually almost deserted.

Whatever you so, be sure to get out and explore. The beauty of Sugarbush is its incredible variety and character. The lay-out affords you the ability to ski about 180 degrees on the compass, 2600' feet in elevation difference, and busy high-speed quads or empty fixed grip doubles/triples. Depending on the wind direction, time of day, time of year, and day of the week, you will be able to find your peace, your zone on a different run each hour or each day. Enjoy the ride.

As for lodging, others are far better placed to answer this than I am. Nothing that cozy immediately springs to my mind, but the locals may disagree.

WWF-VT
11-07-2007, 10:16 AM
All that said, I think the gem of the entire SB trail system is Semi-Tough off the Inverness quad at ME. Perfect moderate pitch (the GMVS racers are doing slalom and GS training on the exact same pitch on the trail next door) that is about 20-30' wide at most. Again, it features unceasing twists and turns but, what I really like about it is that it steps on the gas for about 10-15 turns, eases off, turns a corner, and then steps right back on it. You can rest after each section, or take 2-4 at a time. This is a natural snow trail at low elevation and with a due E aspect , so you want to time your arrival well. But if you do, the rewards are plentiful. In my mind, this is the perfect run for building your bumping skills without killing your knees or your ego. And b/c you could read War and Peace in one ride on the interminable Inverness Quad, that entire pod is usually almost deserted.

Great description of one of my favorite trails at Sugarbush! Seems like very few people even know about Semi Tough and it gets little traffic and will have fresh snow long after other trails have been tracked

11-07-2007, 10:25 AM

You've selected the right venue. Tinny covered the runs well. SB and MRG have more ungroomed terrain than just about anywhere in the East that I've been to.

Lostone
11-07-2007, 10:55 AM
You mentioned "moderately pitched", so in my mind that leaves out Black Diamond, FIS and most of Exterminator.

Oh fine! Next you'll be telling me Liftline isn't a green dot! :lol:

noski
11-07-2007, 10:56 AM
As for lodging, others are far better placed to answer this than I am. Nothing that cozy immediately springs to my mind, but the locals may disagree.
We don't really have a lodging property like what is described on their site. However, you may like Slide Brook Lodge. Shared bath runs about $60/night. There is a small (but really nice!) tavern downstairs with live music Thurs/Fri/Sat. Tavern fare available. It is located on the free bus route to Mt Ellen or Sugarbush and about 6 miles from Mad River Glen. www.MadRiverValley.com for more info about lodging, dining, events, activities, etc. Once you get here, you won't look back....

HowieT2
11-07-2007, 10:58 AM

[/quote]

Great description of one of my favorite trails at Sugarbush! Seems like very few people even know about Semi Tough and it gets little traffic and will have fresh snow long after other trails have been tracked[/quote]

Love the Semi-Tough woods but usually hit on the way down from Northway where there are some other nice woods on the way.