PDA

View Full Version : Guessing we hear snow guns soon

Treeskier
10-26-2007, 06:13 PM
My guess is Sunday on Jester! We can only hope!

Doing my snow dance!

Lostone
10-26-2007, 06:50 PM
I would doubt it. Looking at the 2900' 10 day shows that, although the nights look good, every day will be above freezing. And their target opening is Thanxgiving. Doubt they'll start this early with warm temps.

Still, not too early for the snow dancing to begin. :wink:

BushMogulMaster
10-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I would doubt it. Looking at the 2900' 10 day shows that, although the nights look good, every day will be above freezing. And their target opening is Thanxgiving. Doubt they'll start this early with warm temps.

Still, not too early for the snow dancing to begin. :wink:

I wouldn't be so sure. A low of 17 followed by a high of 35 is not that bad at all. The next couple of days look similar. It's certainly within the realm of possibility.

ski_resort_observer
10-26-2007, 09:11 PM
We supposed get a bunch of rain for the next 2 days which will impact starting on Sunday night despite the cold temps overnight on Sunday. Another neg is we just finished with a bout of indian summer, the ground needs to cool off abit. Still plenty of time. The resorts that have announced 11/10-11/15 openings are under more pressure to fire up the guns.

ski_resort_observer
10-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Just got the word...we will be blowing snow on Jester Sunday night! Wahoo.....

BushMogulMaster
10-27-2007, 11:25 AM

You of all people should have believed me (and Treeskier's original post), SRO. :wink:

You know who my sources are! :D

ski_resort_observer
10-27-2007, 11:45 AM

You of all people should have believed me (and Treeskier's original post), SRO. :wink:

It wasn't a question of believing, it was a question..........you know. Course we have to have the temps so nothing 100% certain until tomorrow night. :D

BushMogulMaster
10-27-2007, 12:33 PM

It wasn't a question of believing, it was a question..........you know. Course we have to have the temps so nothing 100% certain until tomorrow night. :D

:)

Temps are looking good right now. Low of 15 is certainly nice. Of course, the RH is supposed to be between 90 and 100% the whole time. But 15 degrees with 100% RH is still 15 degrees wet bulb. That would still be fantastic snowmaking.

Looks like they'll have startup temps by around 9:00PM Sunday. Once they're started, based on the weather graph, they should be able to blow straight through until around 6:00AM Tuesday morning.

Rothski
10-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Just read on the Bush's web site that Stein will be honored at a NE Ski Museum event being held at the Gate House. Are they gunning to be open if possible for this? How great would it be to get him out on the mountain again.... Just a thought. The 17th is only 5 days or so earlier than originally planned.

ski_resort_observer
10-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Just read on the Bush's web site that Stein will be honored at a NE Ski Museum event being held at the Gate House. Are they gunning to be open if possible for this? How great would it be to get him out on the mountain again.... Just a thought. The 17th is only 5 days or so earlier than originally planned.

nope.....11/22 ....but you never know, Win always has a few surpises up his sleeve every year. :D

HowieT2
10-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Little hard to hear from my perch in NY. Are the guns ablaze?

Lostone
10-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Steam from the compressor building. :)

10-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Steam from the compressor building. :)

Time for a hike up the hill, me thinks...

ski_resort_observer
10-29-2007, 08:31 AM
As TS predicted, snowmaking on Jester last night

Lostone
10-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Or at least step out on the deck... :?

Guns on Jester, working their way down. :D

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album38/PICT8344c_reduced.jpg

HowieT2
10-29-2007, 10:14 AM
The forecast seems to be for above freezing temperatures for the rest of the week. Will the snow that was made last night remain?

heath1230
10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
A friend in snow ops confirmed that they will being blowing this evening.

win
10-29-2007, 06:54 PM
We were lucky enough to have run all day up top and are on tonight. The answer to Howie T2's question is "yes, if it doesn't melt" Now that was a SA answer! Let's hope we do not have the thaws and rains we had last December. We are trying to get a good base methodically laid down so with even some "challenging" early weather we can have turns beginning Thanksgiving and lasting through April. Think snow and enough cold. The snow makers love it below 27 degrees F.

HowieT2
10-29-2007, 07:58 PM
We were lucky enough to have run all day up top and are on tonight. The answer to Howie T2's question is "yes, if it doesn't melt" Now that was a SA answer! Let's hope we do not have the thaws and rains we had last December. We are trying to get a good base methodically laid down so with even some "challenging" early weather we can have turns beginning Thanksgiving and lasting through April. Think snow and enough cold. The snow makers love it below 27 degrees F.

Thanks Win. So there is no magic formula to figure out when the snow will hold.
Glad to see the issues at Mother Merrill haven't resulted in your taking your eyes off the ball at SB.

boze
10-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Thx for the pic - - that is a sight for sore eyes!

May Ullr be with you, S'bush!!

win
10-30-2007, 10:55 AM
A bit more than 1 million gallons pumped out and about a foot and a half down on Jester. Off until probably Thursday night and then the temperatures look favorable again.

HowieT2
10-30-2007, 11:28 AM
A bit more than 1 million gallons pumped out and about a foot and a half down on Jester. Off until probably Thursday night and then the temperatures look favorable again.

Thanks. These updates really bring a smile to my face as i sit at my desk working.

random_ski_guy
10-30-2007, 08:47 PM

Despited taking shelter in CO, BMM still has some of the best insider info. Amazing....

BushMogulMaster
10-30-2007, 09:29 PM

Despited taking shelter in CO, BMM still has some of the best insider info. Amazing....

Ah, what can I say. The 'Bush will always be home to me! Gotta keep up with the goings on. :wink:

skithemontis
11-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Will the guns be coming back online tonight or in the wee hours of the morning?

BushMogulMaster
11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Will the guns be coming back online tonight or in the wee hours of the morning?

They fired up last night for a few hours. Had to shut down this morning. Assuming good temps, they'll be back online tonight.

SKItheBOAT
11-02-2007, 08:31 PM
BMM, where in CO are you going to be skiing this winter? I just moved back to VT after 2 years out in CO....man do i miss it!

BushMogulMaster
11-02-2007, 08:53 PM
BMM, where in CO are you going to be skiing this winter? I just moved back to VT after 2 years out in CO....man do i miss it!

All over the place. Cooper, Copper, Winter Park, Loveland, and A-Basin mostly. Will probably hit Crested Butte, Steamboat, Vail, and Beave each for a day.

win
11-03-2007, 03:16 PM
We are anticipating that the temperatures will be coming down tonight and if so we are ready to fire up again on Jester. I hiked up to Castlerock and over the Long Trail to Heaven's Gate and quite a bit of the snow made from a few days ago in still there. Firm so a good base. The ground is beginning to get hard up there and there is not a lot of water running through the trails which is good for having snow stay once down. There is even a potential for some real snow during the week. 19 days hopefully until we can do some turns!

ski_resort_observer
11-03-2007, 06:42 PM
I think we really dodged the bullet regarding Noel today and tonight.

summitchallenger
11-04-2007, 09:38 AM
I was up at Mt. Ellen yesterday hiking. Real cold up top....thermometers said 30F. Strong wind out of the E. Some ice at the base of North Ridge Express. Ground was freezing at 4000 feet or so. Looking good. And I drove by LP. The new base area is amazing....

HowieT2
11-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Pictures? I'm getting pretty antsy.
TIA

BushMogulMaster
11-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Pictures? I'm getting pretty antsy.
TIA

http://64.78.40.153/images/uploaded/photo_gallery/snowmaking2.jpg

Rothski
11-14-2007, 01:08 PM

nope.....11/22 ....but you never know, Win always has a few surpises up his sleeve every year. :D

Looks like the sleeve has been opened! :D

ski_resort_observer
11-14-2007, 04:34 PM

Looks like the sleeve has been opened! :D

Yup, not exactly a risky prediction. :lol:

stephen boze
11-17-2007, 12:10 PM
there trying to get the lft side of lincoln peak open tell u guys how it goes :roll: