PDA

View Full Version : Valley House Status/Plans/Dreams

aejkb
10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I've split from the Community day thread so that each may continue on their own.

I am glad that the Valley house is not coming down this year. I only hope that the building can be refurbished and stay open. To my way of thinking, Sugarbush is more attractive when it retains some elements of the old. I realize that the ValleyHouse is not a classic Vermont barn or farmhouse, rather a circa 1960's funky mod building. Still, it serves a valuable purpose and the nostalgia of a building like that is part of what makes Sugarbush more attractive than a resort which just builds big faux western mcski lodges.

Lostone
10-09-2007, 09:45 PM
It was stated, at the meeting, that the plan is still that the Valley House lodge goes with the building of the new guest services building.

smootharc
10-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Knowing absolutely nothing about the economic realities pro vs. con of keeping Valley House vs. wiping it off the face of the mountain.....

.....I'd like to say "I have a dream". It is a refurbished Valley House being used as a Club (meaning you pay seasonally for the privledge) Day Lodge. Ski areas all over the country had (some still do have) these facilities. Friends and families get to gather in a more relaxed environment.....brown bagging and "tailgaiting" for food, and with locker facilities to keep the equipment schlepping to minimum. Show up, park, and stroll in to boot up and go. Perhaps Ma, who doesn't ski, sits reading in the lounge section and watches the crock pot bubble while pa and the little ones hit the trees. Year after year the same friends and families show up. You get the picture.

Just a thought.....with absolutely no understanding of the realities and feasibility of using the building for that purpose.

HowieT2
10-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Knowing absolutely nothing about the economic realities pro vs. con of keeping Valley House vs. wiping it off the face of the mountain.....

.....I'd like to say "I have a dream". It is a refurbished Valley House being used as a Club (meaning you pay seasonally for the privledge) Day Lodge. Ski areas all over the country had (some still do have) these facilities. Friends and families get to gather in a more relaxed environment.....brown bagging and "tailgaiting" for food, and with locker facilities to keep the equipment schlepping to minimum. Show up, park, and stroll in to boot up and go. Perhaps Ma, who doesn't ski, sits reading in the lounge section and watches the crock pot bubble while pa and the little ones hit the trees. Year after year the same friends and families show up. You get the picture.

Just a thought.....with absolutely no understanding of the realities and feasibility of using the building for that purpose.

That's a great idea and I'd love to see a "members" lounge, but I think the Gate House is too old and poorly configured for it to be economically viable to rehabilitate. Furthermore, my understanding is that it's location conflicts with future plans for the VH lift. Assuming the new Guest services lodge actually gets built as well as the new lodging planned for the area north of it, that would be the ideal location for a clubhouse.

BTW- Lostone my question about the building is more about if anything was said about whether the plan is going to be implemented given the credit situation and downturn in the national housing market.

Lostone
10-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Like I said, I had a lot of ambient noise. If it was said when the continuation of the plan was to proceed to the next step, I didn't hear.

Maybe someone else who was there and in a better position could help?

smootharc
10-10-2007, 10:37 AM
That's a great idea and I'd love to see a "members" lounge, but I think the Gate House is too old and poorly configured for it to be economically viable to rehabilitate.

Agreed. But location, location, location of VH sure is nice !

boze
10-10-2007, 12:04 PM
The VH is excellently positioned...if you are treking over from Snowcreek (where I usually stay). But from the parking lots / base area gettgni to that spot involves some extra-serious schlepping even if you only have kids or grany in tow. So while you get great views & a cool nostalgic building the logisitcs of getting to & fro that location might have precluded such a use. But I'd love to see something of which you speak put in place. On the economic side, such a building could serve as a pipeline for future property owners, who, as they meet more folks as part of that 'club' would be more inclined to buy a spot on or about the mountain. I'd definately pony up some dough for such an offering - well as long as it did not approach the manaic $ level say of the Stratton-based Club.

aejkb
10-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I dont have an opinion about a the ValleyHouse being used as a club. I do think that the building's survival would be an overall benefit. Does anyone agree with me that part of the strength of Sugarbush is that its history/character has not been completely wiped out. Im not advocating that Lincoln Peak remain like Mount Ellen(which I also find charming), just that there should be a balance between the razing the old and raising the new.

jkvt
10-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I dont have an opinion about a the ValleyHouse being used as a club. I do think that the building's survival would be an overall benefit. Does anyone agree with me that part of the strength of Sugarbush is that its history/character has not been completely wiped out. Im not advocating that Lincoln Peak remain like Mount Ellen(which I also find charming), just that there should be a balance between the razing the old and raising the new.

I agree with the historic aspect, but if you had ever been on the old "Ganga-la" when one had fallen off SugarBravo sure looks damn fine. But it will be a shame to see the Mushroom go. I wonder if it could be lopped off and auctioned off. Or just afix it to the top of the Silo on ClayBrook, like the CN tower. On the bright side, stock up on the old Sugarbush posters and get ready to sell them on EBay once a new complex goes in.

jkvt

HowieT2
10-10-2007, 02:51 PM

I agree if the economics make sense, but I don't think they do. There is no way you can utilize the VH lodge for ski school or rentals and therefore you need a new building. That new building is going to be down by Claybrook and the GH lodge. So it doesn't make sense to have another lodge up where the VH is, even assuming the VH lodge could be rehabilitated at a reasonable cost. While I am no builder, I would think it would be more economical to start from scratch than try and fix up that old (and in no way classic) structure.
For those of us who love SB there is nostalgia associated with these structures. But we have to recognize that there are a lot of people who haven't been skiing SB in a long time and the owners need to attract new customers. Part of that is building new facilities that will be appreciated by those the owners are looking to attract. While I love the mushroom and will greet its demise with sadness, there is no question that Timbers is a huge improvement. I'm sure if and when the guest services lodge is finished, we will all feel the same about it.

aejkb
10-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Win spoke about the increasing number of skiers that are coming. I firmly believe he is right. I believe he said that the mountain could hold 8000. Why not leave the Valley House as a back up place for people to eat on crowded weekends and go ahead and build the guest services building elsewhere?

10-10-2007, 07:03 PM

Smootharc, have you checked into Club 10? Might be an option to waiting for a members only area to be built, and intuition tells me that more important infrastructure and services are scheduled to be constructed at the base prior to the creation of a "first class lounge" that some of us would really appreciate.
Will check out Club 10 and get back to you with the inside scoop if it's an option for interested parties.

Still hope Win will consider a "members only" clubhouse environment space with lockers in the grand plan! Should be viable with respect to revenue covering expenses, profit, and overhead, in exchange for square footage, amenities, and services.

10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Since the VH is to remain in operation for this coming season, does anyone know if the VH chair lift will still be operational this winter, or has it been de-commissioned already?

Lostone
10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
1) The Valley House is scheduled to have food service on Saturdays and crowded holidays, this season.

B) The guest services building is not scheduled for that spot. The plan is to take it down because it will no longer be needed, when the guest services building is completed.

III) The last I knew, the plan for replacing the Valley House chair is off in the future. My guess is it will run as needed, probably only on busy Saturdays and busy holidays.

None of these came from the meeting, this weekend, but have been stated in the past. Again, I'm open to additions and corrections from any who actually know. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
10-10-2007, 09:20 PM
If your staying in Snowcreek I can see where VH would be easy to get to but you still have to cross Spring Fling which can be risky at times. From the parking lot most consider VH abit too much of a schlep to be viable, easy access is important. In the olden days you parked pretty close to the VH, cars pointed south.

More recently had the Magic Carpet to take folks up the the VH but still most seemed to prefer Gatehouse. The new Guest Services Lodge will have food service and will do a better job of taking some of the pressure off Gatehouse than VH does.

Tin Woodsman
10-11-2007, 11:09 AM
There are certainly a lot of great memories in the VH lodge/Mushroom, but it has a number of important drawbacks, IMO. It's inconvenient to get to unless you're at Snowcreek. It artificially narrows the elbow room at the junction of 4-5 trails (Racer's Edge, Spring Fling, Moonshine, Mall, VH Traverse). It also prevents you from eventually extending a new VH lift down to the base area whereit could best be put to use taking the strain off of Bravo and Gate House.

I'd love to see some sort of half-pipe in that spot in the future after VH is torn down. Great pitch and a great spot for viewing as well. Put a handle tow or soemthing next to it and people can ride laps all day on the thing.

Hopefully the Guest Services lodge has sufficient food service options to really take the pressure off of the new GH Lodge. As important, IMO, is a long-term replacement for the capacity represented by the Wunderbar and the Muchroom apres. The new CR Pub doesn't cut it in that regard and Timbers will only appeal to a select few. I won't go into CR Pub any more apres b/c it's a ridiculous madhouse and eagerly await the resolution of this situation. FWIW, I'd love to see them blow out the south wall of the Pub and take over that patio space that gets used during about 20% of the ski season.

win
10-11-2007, 04:30 PM
VH chair like last winter will be cleared to run as a back-up if needed and will be scheduled for Saturdays and Holiday Weeks starting around Xmas Holidays when the traffic picks up.

ski_resort_observer
10-15-2007, 10:03 PM
I won't go into CR Pub any more apres b/c it's a ridiculous madhouse and eagerly await the resolution of this situation.

Reminds me of that Yogi Berra saying...."no one goes there anymore cause it's too crowded" :wink:

chuck
10-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Although I've many, many fond memories of VH lodge and Mushroom, the natural progression for SB is demolition, and I really welcome the facelift SB is receiving. It's exciting and overdue.

May be a far fetched idea, but I wonder if it would be possible to tear down the Valley House lodge, but leave the Mushroom in tact?

Tin Woodsman
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
The problem with that is that it still blocks a future extension of the VH liftline down to the lower base, which is part of the real end game for demolishing VH lodge in the first place. I'd prefer to see them simply carve out space for a new Mushroom in the Guest Services Lodge. Fat chance would be my guess, however.

ski_resort_observer
10-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Although I've many, many fond memories of VH lodge and Mushroom, the natural progression for SB is demolition, and I really welcome the facelift SB is receiving. It's exciting and overdue.

May be a far fetched idea, but I wonder if it would be possible to tear down the Valley House lodge, but leave the Mushroom in tact?

hmm...interesting
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/mush1.jpg

chuck
10-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Wow, that's cool!! I can see myself having a few adult beverages people watching. Kind of reminds me of Aspen..

CapeSkiGuy
10-17-2007, 07:29 AM
The Mushroom is one of those quirky things that give a mountain its personality, but it's time to say goodbye. Keeping the mushroom iteself probably is not feasible...The restrooms are actually uphill, on a higher floor of the VH, and the bar is outside in the corridor. The roof leaks terribly and is in need of reconstruction. The rest of the VH needs rebuilding top to bottom. It's just got to go. Sometimes we have to remember the past but look to the future. Maybe a nod to tradition in the new Skier Services building? There could be a bar or lounge in that building, and it could be called the "Mush Room" ;-) That would be a good name for a member's club, too. Jokes aside, I'm in favor of keeping the old feel at North while moving into the future at South. I won't be sad when the VH goes.

smootharc
10-17-2007, 07:42 AM

......takes out valley house, sans Mushroom. Great peek into the crystal ball !

Lostone
10-17-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't know where SRO got that pic. It was supposed to be one of the Sugarbush top secrets!

That is the plan for next season. And the restrooms are below, but you don't have to use the stairs. There is an escalator. How can we have an escalator in such a small building?

It is a spiral escalator. First one in Vermont.

Now the secret is out. SRO... You are in TROUBLE! :twisted:

Blabbermouth! :x

:P

EXskier
10-17-2007, 04:20 PM
That's sweet!! You could actually see the slopes while having a beer instead of a stone wall . What a concept!!

win
10-19-2007, 03:15 PM
HMMMM! Digital photography does cause one to think! The problem with the whole building is that is needs a full rehab and that may or may not make economical sense.

Tradition is important to me and it is one of the factors we think about in any decision. Let's hope the snow looks as good as in the picture.

aejkb
10-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Im glad to hear Win is sensitive to history. I think that the ValleyHouse and the Mushroom are like the lodge at Mount Ellen--or Fenway Park; flawed and outdated, but comforting and unique. Save them please.

10-19-2007, 08:24 PM

......takes out valley house, sans Mushroom. Great peek into the crystal ball !

WOW.
Very cool photo work.
There's the on Mountain First Class Lounge we've been dreaming about!!!

Hmmmmm.
Maybe, just maybe, a small group of us could jointly fund and pitch in enough $$$ to renovate it next year, and Win could offer a membership only area with lockers and seating.
A private place on the mountain to boot up, and gather.
A bar with water and power is already built in!!!
Nostalgia preserved with a profitable future...
Although the Paparazzi might start showing up...LOL

Would be far enough away from the base ops for exclusivity.
Wonder if it is far enough out of the way of new VH replacement lift and base area improvement/progress???

Ahhh, just dreaming.....although:
Dear Win, if this all works, please count me in...