PDA

View Full Version : Snowfall Prediction Results

noski
10-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Well. We did it. We found what I hope is a more scientific formula for predicting the snowfall for winter 07-08. The complex formula from last year undershot by 2 feet:

Date: 10 (October 10, 2006) (plus)
Temperature that morning at summit of LP: 30 (plus)
Number of hard frosts to that date: 2 (times)
Number of maple leaves in the sap bucket: 7
10+30+2 x 7 = 297"

This year, I had fall colored balloons filled with air and a slip of paper inside with a number on it with a number on it. The head of the Mad River Valley Localvores was at the Peak Day festivities on Saturday and thru a dart at the board, hitting the balloon with the 302" estimate. The Green Mtn Swing Band was playing Moonlight in Vt.

Will that work?

Lostone
10-08-2007, 04:26 PM
302"? Works for me! :D

smootharc
10-10-2007, 07:41 AM
The head of the Mad River Valley Localvores was at the Peak Day festivities on Saturday and thru a dart at the board, hitting the balloon with the 302" estimate. The Green Mtn Swing Band was playing Moonlight in Vt.

My boys and I watched the dart being thrown. We were hoping for the 600" balloon, while Led Zeppelin played their classic "Thigh Deep in Powder" from Led Zeppelin VIII. :wink:

Lostone
10-10-2007, 08:44 AM
WHAT???? There was a 600" balloon?

OK, we've got to get these localvores to start eating gish and chips and drinking Guinness, so they can get better at this throwing darts thing! :?

:lol:

jkvt
10-10-2007, 09:34 AM
WHAT???? There was a 600" balloon?

OK, we've got to get these localvores to start eating gish and chips and drinking Guinness, so they can get better at this throwing darts thing! :?

:lol:

Well with the ban on eating a lot of fish from around the area that might be difficult, but you can make a mean localvore Elderberry wine.

But this does sound like an opportunity...A snowfall pool. Everyone buys a ticket for an amount (quarter foot increments) Tickets must be purchased by Christmas or New Year. Then after the mountains close a winner is drawn with half the proceeds going to the winner and half going to a local charity.

jkvt