PDA

View Full Version : hike comparison

HowieT2
08-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I'll be up in 2 weeks and was wondering which of two hikes would be easier for 2 10 year old boys.
The first would be to start at Lincoln Gap and hike over to Lincoln peak and on to Castlerock and then down to the base. The other would be to start at the base of Mt Ellen, up Mt Ellen and then over the LT to Castlerock, Lincoln peak and then down to the base. I would think the first one is far easier, but just want to make sure so I don't have any pooped kids on my hands.

TIA

Lostone
08-03-2007, 04:16 PM
The first is easier in that you drive some of the vertical. (Lincoln Gap)

Second is easier in that it is harder to go down Castlerock than Jester.

Depends on which is easier for you. :wink:

Strat
08-03-2007, 10:48 PM
I hope your kids are incredibly energetic... those are both decently long, arduous hikes... conquering Mt. Abe (with late lunch at the top potentially) seems like a more accessible goal to me, though I've never before done a one way hike like the ones you're describing, so I'm not 100% sure...

Mike451
08-04-2007, 04:26 PM
I think the easiest would be to hike up to the top of Mt Ellen, over to Castlerock, and down. Mt Abe to lincoln Peak and then down to the base lodge shouldn't be too bad either.

HowieT2
08-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I hope your kids are incredibly energetic... those are both decently long, arduous hikes... conquering Mt. Abe (with late lunch at the top potentially) seems like a more accessible goal to me, though I've never before done a one way hike like the ones you're describing, so I'm not 100% sure...

We made it to the Battel shelter last year before having to turn back (plan was a round trip) due to it getting too late. I figure we'll eat lunch at Mt. Abe if need be or at LP and then they should be good to go. Wonders what a protein bar and gatorade can do. Besides, we gotta wipe the kids out during the day so they don't stay up too late at night. But it's definitely an all day thing.

boze
08-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Mt Abe hike from the Gap is 1600' vertical...which is the same vert from base of LP to Allyns. So we know at least one of the father-son pairings can make it that far!

Where it goes form there is debatable. But lunch on Mt Abe then across LT should be fine. Descending Jester will have a couple tricky spots, then plenty of coasting on the traverse until lower portion of Snowball / Racer's Edge.

Unless, of course, there's a desire to recon The Church - - which would mean a different decent path.

shadyjay
08-13-2007, 05:17 PM
My first post this summer... finally I have something to post....

Saturday was the PERFECT day down in the valleys. Since the days of summer are dwindling, you have to take advantage of any nice weekend you can get. Woke up, headed to the rr station to get my keys for my shift that night, then it was off to the mtn. Got to LP, got a ticket for the Super Bravo, and headed up to Gadd Peak with a backpack of water, a gatorade, and camera. Got to the top, headed down to Allyn's, then up Jester. This was really my first mountain hiking adventure. The hike up Jester awoke me that's for sure (I wasn't out THAT late Fri night), and spent some time at the observation deck on the LP summit. Never knew it was there, then again, I've never been up that far, only to the Jester/Organ traverse from the top of Heaven's Gate. Then I gathered up and began the Long Trail adventure. Original plan was to go over to Castlerock (I've never ridden it, figured I'd have to check it out one way or the other), but I got over there relatively quickly and decided to press on to Mt Ellen. Passed a few hikers along the way. I've never hiked the Long Trail, and I have to say this is a really awesome trail. Took me about an hour or so to get to Mt Ellen. I didn't realize I was there until the hidden wooden sign off to the side of the trail which said "MT ELLEN - 4083'". You can't even see any of the ski trails/lift from this point - its hidden. I soon popped out at the start of Panorama. Ahhh... I know where I am now. Seeing as how my Cruiser was still over at LP, I figured I'd hike down Mt Ellen and attempt to call my cousin who has a condo on the mtn. Headed down Panorama to Rim Run to Elbow (not a work road so the grass felt good, though was high on the last steep before the Spread Eagle split) then down Northstar to M/S to S/S. Heading near the bottom along the GMX, saw a hiker coming up who was going to give Lower FIS a try from the Glen House. Made it to the bottom, borrowed a cell phone, and of course, my cousin was not home. So it was down Mt Ellen Road to German Flats, then up the road to Lincoln Peak. There is nothing flat about this road, especially when you're on foot. A few peeps drove by and asked if I was going to make it. At first I thought no, seeing as how my feet were killing me from walking on the pavement (I was fine on the trail), but I pressed on and took some breaks, but made it to the L/P parking lot. As much as I wanted to try to get a free beer at Hogan's Pub (my last name is Hogan - can't kill me for trying), I realized that the time was ticking too fast. Made it back to the 'Bury, with enough time to grab a quick bite to eat and shower before heading to the rr station for my shift. Of course, the train didn't get there till after midnight (3 hours late) and while I was primed up for enjoying some spirits had I gotten out earlier, it was not to be.

The next morning (Sunday) I woke up very sore. Headed to the station. Low and behold, some guy asked for directions to Mt Ellen. Hiking are we? Yes was the reply. I told him I was up there yesterday and it was awesome. Monday morning (this morning) woke up very sore, but a glance at the weather report for the wknd looks like I may tackle some more L/T, going to try Gap2Gap, if I've got my dancin' shoes back on by then, and if I can drop my rig off at the end and get a ride to the start. From what I hiked on Sat, the easier route appears to be S to N. We'll see what the wknd brings, but I think I better pack a sweatshirt just in case. Maybe bring along my board --- nah, not yet. Soon enough though.

Pics from the day will be over at shadyjay.com hopefully later this week.

Lostone
08-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Just going up South, over to North, then back down would have been a long hike. To have added the hike back, that was a long hike. :shock:

On the good side, it was a great day to do it. Saturday was cooler than Sunday.

But both... great days to be outside, and on the mountain. 8)

You should have gotten in on the Herc challenge. It woud have been less hiking, but you'd have had to do it... a little quicker. :wink:

shadyjay
08-14-2007, 04:27 PM
The hike from Gadd Peak up to Lincoln summit, over to Ellen, and down I didn't think was bad at all. The worst was the asphalt down Mt Ellen Rd and GFlats.

I'm in no shape to attempt any competition like the HERC (I don't think). I'm just trying to think of things to do solo that can get me into better shape for the season this year. I did a long bike trip in Burlington from Burton to the end of the Colchester Causeway and back and want to repeat it this month when the ferry's running, going into So Hero. That, coupled with a nice hike which I was just told will take me a while going Gap2Gap (espec MRG->App Gap) and that I shouldn't do it alone. Heck, they say you shouldn't go snowboarding solo either, but I do. I'm not waiting forever for someone to go with - by then, the season 'll be over and I'll be kickin myself.

My legs have almost fully recovered and I think I'm ready to hit it on Sat AM. I better bring my cell phone just in case. At least I'm only going one-way. If anyone finds a body lying on the L/T on Monday morning, then it'll be me. Just kick it off to the side and continue on :D

shadyjay
08-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Okay, despite the morning wetness, I conquered the "Gap2Gap" hike today. I got dropped off at Lincoln Gap and hiked north. The hike up to Battell shelter wasn't too bad - though the rocks were quite slick from the rain. From the shelter, the hike to Abe's summit was arduous, to say the least. Straight up and most of it up sheer rock faces. The summit was quite barren and fogged in, and windy. From there, L/P was reached in no time, and took my first break at Castlerock Hut. It felt good to get out of the elements, but continuing on to Mt Ellen I continued non-stop and reached it in less than 45 minutes - I was moving, mainly because I was soaked (my DC sweatshirt had gained about 10 lbs) and when I stopped briefly, I was freezing. FYI - the Castlerock Hut thermo read 42 deg. From Mt Ellen, it decended quickly and a while later, I was at the Jerusalem Trail int. The sign read another 3.4 miles to App Gap. Luckil'y there wasn't too much uphill vertical. Top of the single chair, I breaked at Stark's Nest. The single chair is gone - being replaced. The trail got a little difficult to find since the MRG snowshoe trail follows it. The final descent from the top of the double chair at MRG to App Gap was insane - so steep that there are ladders to get down the steepest sections. I saw the AppGap tower and thought I was close, but it took another hour + to get to the Gap. I had never been so relieved to see my truck in my life. I started at Lincoln Gap at 9:30 and got to AppGap at 5:00. That is with only two 15-20 minute breaks, the remainder just some 5 minute breaks here or there. The hike from AppGap north to MRG and Mt Ellen looked insanely steep and not for the faint-of-heart. I'm glad I was going north.

Summiting Mt Abe, I met some thru hikers who were on Day 8 on a Mass to Canada Long Trail adventure. I passed them at Battell and they showed up at AppGap about 10 minutes after I did. There were many others between Lincoln Gap and Battell, and from MRG to AppGap, but hardly noone from Battell to MRG.

I clocked in about 12 miles - I will try to get all pics and trip reports online to shadyjay.com on Sunday, along with last week's trip. If I do this hike once a month between now and ski/ride season, I should be in prime shape. Think though I'll stick with bikeriding, and shorter hikes between now and then. I gotta give a lot of credit to the thru hikers - they have some dedication. Thinkin of going to the GMC HQ and buying a L/T book and/or map to plan something for next year.

Jay

Lostone
08-19-2007, 09:02 AM
That's a lot of hiking! :shock:

I hiked Mt Abe, last year, when it was wet. Did not enjoy those rocks, getting to the summit. :(

shadyjay
08-19-2007, 07:43 PM
the rocks were definetely not fun. nor was the downhill ladder climbs between the MRG summits and down to AppGap.

all pics are now posted at shadyjay.com - click on HIKING. all photos are thumbnails - click them for the larger version.

i think next weekend, its biking on the colchester causeway.

HowieT2
08-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Okay, despite the morning wetness, I conquered the "Gap2Gap" hike today. I got dropped off at Lincoln Gap and hiked north. The hike up to Battell shelter wasn't too bad - though the rocks were quite slick from the rain. From the shelter, the hike to Abe's summit was arduous, to say the least. Straight up and most of it up sheer rock faces. The summit was quite barren and fogged in, and windy. From there, L/P was reached in no time, and took my first break at Castlerock Hut. It felt good to get out of the elements, but continuing on to Mt Ellen I continued non-stop and reached it in less than 45 minutes - I was moving, mainly because I was soaked (my DC sweatshirt had gained about 10 lbs) and when I stopped briefly, I was freezing. FYI - the Castlerock Hut thermo read 42 deg. From Mt Ellen, it decended quickly and a while later, I was at the Jerusalem Trail int. The sign read another 3.4 miles to App Gap. Luckil'y there wasn't too much uphill vertical. Top of the single chair, I breaked at Stark's Nest. The single chair is gone - being replaced. The trail got a little difficult to find since the MRG snowshoe trail follows it. The final descent from the top of the double chair at MRG to App Gap was insane - so steep that there are ladders to get down the steepest sections. I saw the AppGap tower and thought I was close, but it took another hour + to get to the Gap. I had never been so relieved to see my truck in my life. I started at Lincoln Gap at 9:30 and got to AppGap at 5:00. That is with only two 15-20 minute breaks, the remainder just some 5 minute breaks here or there. The hike from AppGap north to MRG and Mt Ellen looked insanely steep and not for the faint-of-heart. I'm glad I was going north.

Summiting Mt Abe, I met some thru hikers who were on Day 8 on a Mass to Canada Long Trail adventure. I passed them at Battell and they showed up at AppGap about 10 minutes after I did. There were many others between Lincoln Gap and Battell, and from MRG to AppGap, but hardly noone from Battell to MRG.

I clocked in about 12 miles - I will try to get all pics and trip reports online to shadyjay.com on Sunday, along with last week's trip. If I do this hike once a month between now and ski/ride season, I should be in prime shape. Think though I'll stick with bikeriding, and shorter hikes between now and then. I gotta give a lot of credit to the thru hikers - they have some dedication. Thinkin of going to the GMC HQ and buying a L/T book and/or map to plan something for next year.

Jay

Good for you. That's some hike. saturday morning was nasty out ( especially after we spent the night camped out in a heavy rain in Granville). We did Lincoln Gap to Castlerock on friday. Interestingly, we thought that lincoln Gap to Battel shelter was the most difficult, although I can see how the slick rocks you encountered on the way up to Mt. Abe would make that section unpleasant. The boys were fine doing the hike and actually ended up better than me as my left knee started bothering me going down the hi=lo road (thank god for advil).

We biked today. It was great. Would have really liked to see the Cr pub open with some music outside. Timbers was fine but no substitute for a little vibe. Kids dug the zip line. Also, think Ifound a place to rent for the season. Think snow.

skibum1321
08-20-2007, 06:38 AM
My biggest problem when hiking Gap to Gap is sore feet. By the end of a long hike, my feet are usually sore and blistered. It is a good hike though.

shadyjay
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
last week's hike left me hobbling on sunday, even worse on monday - not a good thing for a land surveyor since i'm constantly walking.

this past weekend's hike left me hurting mildly sunday, but felt great today, even decided to walk the 1800'+ to get the tripod instead of driving the truck.

scary - perhaps i'm getting used to all this hiking. then again, there was no 5-mile road hike unlike aug 11.

shadyjay
08-28-2007, 08:17 PM
this past weekend - did nothing. sunday's weather didn't cooperate for biking so i went to work for a few hours instead.

this weekend, i'm gonna do the hump-de-hump. a little closer to home base, and i don't need to pay off a friend to drive me the 15 minutes from wbury to waitsfield. plus it seems like i can do it, and still do the morning and evening shifts at the wbury station all weekend.

time's running out!