PDA

View Full Version : Re:Warren to Montreal

HowieT2
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Going to be in Warren in a couple of weeks and thinking of driving to Montreal for a couple of days. What's the best route to take from Warren to Montreal? About how long a ride is it? Haven't been to Montreal in 20 years and never drove from VT so any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

skibum1321
07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
It's a little bit over 2 hrs to Montreal. The best way is to go straight up 89 into Canada. That will turn into 133 when you enter Canada. You just follow that for quite a while and then follow the signs. It's really a pretty straight shot.

HowieT2
07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
It's a little bit over 2 hrs to Montreal. The best way is to go straight up 89 into Canada. That will turn into 133 when you enter Canada. You just follow that for quite a while and then follow the signs. It's really a pretty straight shot.

Thanks. Anything interesting on the way?

ski_it
07-09-2007, 03:31 PM
You can take a slight detour up Route 2 (exit 17 off 89) and check out the Champlain Islands. North Hero is a great place to visit, and North Hero House is an excellent place to eat or stay. Kayaking and cycling are fantastic up there. You can continue up Rt. 2 where you'll cross the bridge from Alburgh into Rouse's Point, NY just before entering Quebec.

Bubba
07-09-2007, 03:32 PM

Thanks. Anything interesting on the way?

Yah! A two hour rest stop at the border. :(

HowieT2
07-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks. Any advice on how to avoid a long delay at the border? Any alternative crossings?

Strat
07-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Oh come on, the delays aren't usually that bad. Well, as long as you have proper documentation. I would advise against doing it unless you have passports for everyone traveling with you, as they have gotten incredibly strict - the birth certificate thing doesn't totally cut it anymore.

HowieT2
07-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Oh come on, the delays aren't usually that bad. Well, as long as you have proper documentation. I would advise against doing it unless you have passports for everyone traveling with you, as they have gotten incredibly strict - the birth certificate thing doesn't totally cut it anymore.

My wife and I have passports so we should be cool but I wonder about the 5 illegals we'll have stashed :lol: :P
I was actually just responding to the prior post indicating it would be like a 2 hour wait.

Bubba
07-10-2007, 05:11 AM

My wife and I have passports so we should be cool but I wonder about the 5 illegals we'll have stashed :lol: :P
I was actually just responding to the prior post indicating it would be like a 2 hour wait.

The wait is caused by the folks in front of you that do not have the proper documentation and it can get VERY bad. I would have to guess that the weekends are most likely the worst.
I've crossed at Richford a long time ago and it was a snap. It is a long way around though.

HowieT2
07-10-2007, 08:23 AM

The wait is caused by the folks in front of you that do not have the proper documentation and it can get VERY bad. I would have to guess that the weekends are most likely the worst.
I've crossed at Richford a long time ago and it was a snap. It is a long way around though.

Thanks. We're going tuesday morning and coming back thursday so it shouldn't be an issue.

HowieT2
07-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for you help. Montreal was great, despite the french thing :P . Drive up was smooth as was the drive back except for the 2 hour wait at the border. One might want to avoid getting to the border around lunchtime as they evidently shut down 2 of the 3 inspection lanes.

nelsapbm
08-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Wish I had seen this post earlier as I could have suggested some back road border crossings. The waits are MUCH less because its (mostly) just locals who use them. We never cross the border at the major crossings due to the waits. Alburgh & Rouses Point (non I-87) are the ones we use.