PDA

View Full Version : Valley Babysitting

smootharc
06-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Let's see....I think my wife and I went out to dinner alone (without our kids), well, um.....well, I can't remember. So I got to thinking about babysitting in the valley for second/vacation homeowners.

Anyone have any thoughts on finding a qualified, experienced, reliable sitter ? Going rates in MRV ? How do sitters (and their parents) feel about them sitting for out of towners in their owned (non-rental pool) condos ?

We own a place, plan on being in the valley a good long while, and wouldn't mind finding an "ace" sitter for occasional sitting (all seasons).

ski_resort_observer
06-25-2007, 04:51 PM
I know the folks at 1-800-53-SUGAR have a list of valley babysitters, might even be willing to fax it to you or you can go to the front desk of the Sugarbush Inn and I bet they would run you off a copy. Noski probably has more info but she's probably busy with parade stuff. :lol:

Yard Sale
06-25-2007, 05:37 PM
You should try the day school. We've done that and have had great success(At least during the winter).

As for our Ace Babysitter, that's gonna cost you some prospects and maybe a little cash. :lol:

smootharc
06-26-2007, 07:46 AM
You should try the day school.

Excuse my ignorance, but what/where is the day school ?

Lostone
06-26-2007, 08:01 AM
The day school is in Sugarbush Village, which is to the right of the ski area, from the bottom.

At present, it only runs weekdays and is for very young children. (I think 3.)

There might be a seasonal change for the age. Your mileage may vary. :roll:

smootharc
06-26-2007, 08:30 AM
The day school is in Sugarbush Village, which is to the right of the ski area, from the bottom.

At present, it only runs weekdays and is for very young children. (I think 3.)

There might be a seasonal change for the age. Your mileage may vary. :roll:

Now slather yourself with peanut butter and blueberries.....and get back to tramping in the woods looking for Polar Bears.... :lol:

noski
06-26-2007, 10:30 AM
(Parade? what parade? :wink: Oh, you mean the one that I eat, sleep and breath???)

Smootharc- personally, when my daughter was in high school, I would not let her babysit for Valley guests unless we had mutual friends here. That narrowed it down to maybe once or twice in her high school career. I also would not let the stranger pick her up or bring her home, rather I would do it.

I don't have a list, but you can sometimes call larger properties like SugarLodge, Bridges, Sugarbush and ask for a recommendation.

I have no real idea on the hourly rate.

smootharc
06-26-2007, 12:12 PM
When my daughter was in high school, I would not let her babysit for Valley guests unless we had mutual friends here. That narrowed it down to maybe once or twice in her high school career. I also would not let the stranger pick her up or bring her home, rather I would do it.

Obviously an issue for concerned parents of babysitters. And as parents of the kids potentially being sat for....concern on our end as to the maturity/reliability of the sitter.

Having been a second homeowner in the valley over a year now, and having established longer term connections with numerous locals, I am fairly confident that a babysitter (and sitter's parents) and my wife and I could find some mutual acquaintances so each "side" could be comfortible.

I appreciate the feedback.

noski
06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Having been a second homeowner in the valley over a year now, and having established longer term connections with numerous locals, I am fairly confident that a babysitter (and sitter's parents) and my wife and I could find some mutual acquaintances so each "side" could be comfortible.

You may have answered your own question. Contact some of your local friends who have kids and find out if they have a regular babysitter(s). If you need phone numbers of local folks, go to the online Waitsfield Telecom book on www.madriver.com. It's a nifty tool!

outofshape
08-24-2007, 08:31 PM
there have been some stellar babysitters. never an issue. they seem to do a good job vetting the list.

heath1230
10-30-2007, 02:30 PM
:D Hi folks. As someone who helped to create the current version of the Sugarbush Babysitters List and still lists herself as a babysitter, I can tell you that most of the people on the list have had a background check. And from this point forward I believe that they are making anyone who wants to be on the list have a criminal background check.

And as for the Sugarbush Day School... they take kids up to 6 years of age at the moment. Late November/December, depending on the weather, the Day School will open 7 days a week for the ski season. They have a nursery, up to age 2, then a preschool room, which is 2 and up. For these two programs you may elect to do AM only, 8 to 12 (this does NOT include lunch, but a mid-morning snack) or all day 8 to 4 (this DOES include a healthy lunch and two snacks).

In the winter the Microbear program runs downstairs in the Day School. The program is skiing for 3 year olds. In essence it's day care with a dash of skiing vs the Minibear program which is more skiing with a dash of day care. Your child must be potty trained. You may elect for your child to go in the AM only program or all day. The program consists of an hour of skiing in the AM and the PM. Don't expect your child to be an expert when it's all over, but they will be more comfortable with skis. If you are planning on needing day care while visiting Sugarbush I suggest you call now to make reservations as the Day School is licensed and has tight staff to children ratios that must be followed at all times to maintain licensing.

Lostone
10-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Great info, and welcome to the board! :)