PDA

View Full Version : Someone new HAS come to town!

Lostone
06-12-2007, 08:43 AM
I was out, hiking on the hill, yesterday. Came upon momma and 3 cubs. Momma didn’t wait around to pose. One of the cubs went with her. Two of the cubs weren’t sure what the message was supposed to be, and hit the tree.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1025/541747761_13f09d1f2c_o.jpg

Unfortunately, on the only pic that shows the second, my Kodak shows him as a light tan. I know he was black. (The light was really heavily contrasted.)

I was cursing myself for not bringing the other camera, but the sky had been threatening, and I didn’t trust taking the Minolta out, and up on the mountain.

But my day was made. Great day to be out on the mountain! :-)

Just a few more pix here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostone

smootharc
06-12-2007, 10:43 AM
...an Intrawest scout team when you see it ? :lol:

Lostone
06-12-2007, 12:02 PM
They looked like regular bears, to me.

Then, when I saw them today, I realized the mother had an Intrawest fleece on. :shock:

Made her look fat... but I wouldn't tell her that. :?

:lol:

Strat
06-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Gotta be careful out there... at least we don't have grizzlies though.

Yard Sale
06-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Say where might someone find or rather avoid Momma and her cubs while out walking on the mountain with two over exuberant Labradors. Were they up high? I often like to walk pooches on the path from Racer's Edge over to Stein's or up from the base thru Castle Rock Connection and down Sleeper.

ski_resort_observer
06-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Say where might someone find or rather avoid Momma and her cubs while out walking on the mountain with two over exuberant Labradors. Were they up high? I often like to walk pooches on the path from Racer's Edge over to Stein's or up from the base thru Castle Rock Connection and down Sleeper.

To walk "over exuberant" dogs unleashed in an area where there is a female with cubs is a formula for possible disaster. Nine times out of ten bears will run off but if the dogs take chase it's pretty much over. Use some common sense and take the dogs somewhere else to walk them. It's that simple.

Lostone
06-13-2007, 07:57 AM
I won't say where they were, as I don't think it would be good to have people looking for them, but they were not very high up.

I know there are people walking dogs all around the area, and have been for years, but if you are unable to control the dogs, it would be nice to give them a little while to decide there are too many people, and wander up.

Given the option, the bears will flee. Not being given the option could be disastrous for the bears, the dogs, and any people around.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year, with more people on the mountain than have been, for years.

Yard Sale
06-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I agree disclosing the location of the bears would not be appropriate. Knowing that they are down lower is very helpful.

Thanks.

ski_resort_observer
06-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Bears this time of the year are looking for food and will pretty much go anywhere to find it. They don't stay in one place so knowing where they are one day is of little value. One of their main food sources is berries which are more plentiful in lower elevations.

Yard- chances are nothing would happen but do you want to take that risk. Just don't want anything to happen to you or your dogs.

BushMogulMaster
06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
There was a bear roaming around the base of Mt. Ellen yesterday. :) I wouldn't disclose the location, except that he obviously doesn't intend to take up residence in a lift shack or anything. He took off in the woods, so who knows where he is now.

Yard Sale
06-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Bears this time of the year are looking for food and will pretty much go anywhere to find it. They don't stay in one place so knowing where they are one day is of little value. One of their main food sources is berries which are more plentiful in lower elevations.

Yard- chances are nothing would happen but do you want to take that risk. Just don't want anything to happen to you or your dogs.

SRO, I appreciate your advice and concern. I agree 100%. Dogs have been part of my family for my whole life. So, I certainly don't want anything to happen my boys, River and Trout. I like to think that I am a responsible dog person. This is why I ask. When I'm there @SB, I'm on Mtn. So, there are times, when I need to walk them in the vicinty of woods and wildlife. Leashing the boys ought to do the trick. The only bear I want to meet is brewed by Rock Art Brewery.

Hardbooter
06-22-2007, 04:49 PM
I suggest putting some bells on your backpack and dogs. That should give the bears some warning.

smootharc
06-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I suggest putting some bells on your backpack and dogs. That should give the bears some warning.

...us humans and our canine friends have to suffer the inconvenience of putting bells on ? Why can't those pesky bears put the bells on to warn us ? Sheesh.

If it wasn't for them bears (and their stinky friends like Mr. Moose and Ms. Bobcat and all those other useless critters) getting in the way of progress.....we'd have that high speed six-pack (or three) in Slidebrook by now !

What next ? Black flies as an endangered species ? :lol:

ski_resort_observer
06-22-2007, 06:44 PM

...us humans and our canine friends have to suffer the inconvenience of putting bells on ? Why can't those pesky bears put the bells on to warn us ? Sheesh.

:lol:

I think you make a good point they just need to find someone who is willing to take the job of crawling in their dens in winter while they are sleeping and attaching those suckers on. You would have to ski into Slidebrook Basin to perform this noble duty. You up for the job? :wink: :lol:

Seriously tho, for only a second, if anybody has some anxiety about running into bears, wearing bells is a great idea or not hiking near Lostone as he seems to attract them, is another. Hikers out west wear them to let the griz know they are there.

Course, if the griz are really hungry and you didn't change your clothes after standing in the smoke all morning while cooking breakfast and you smell like a walking sausage, the bells might work against you...:wink:

Lostone
06-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Excuse me...! :x

I don't attract them. It is just that they think I'm sweet... or nuts... whatever! :lol:

And if I were to be hiking where there were grizzlys, I'd be carrying a rifle. Anyone see Grizzly Man? Now he was nuts! :roll:

Just a helpful camping tip - always be careful of bears. Before walking in the woods, always tie jingle bells on your shoes and carry pepper spray.

There are two types of bears you may encounter while camping, the Black Bear and the Grizzly Bear. You can identify which type of bear is in your area by their droppings. Black Bear droppings are round and brown in color. Grizzly Bear droppings have jingle bells in them and smell like pepper spray. :shock: :lol:

djspookman
06-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Grizzly Bear droppings have jingle bells in them and smell like pepper spray. :shock: :lol:

LOL!!! nice one! My brother took a pic of this grizz last wednesday up in Denali National Park in AK. He said he zoomed in on it from pretty far away, and once he took the pic, he got out of there. (I don't blame him!) I didn't get a chance to ask him if the bear droppings smelled like pepper spray though..... :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/djspookman/2007/matts%20AK%20pics/IMG_5430-sm.jpg

dave