PDA

View Full Version : GPS

HowieT2
05-28-2007, 07:57 AM
I have been looking into getting a GPS and would appreciate some advice if anyone is familiar with these things. I was looking at a combination GPS/FRS radio, since that apparently would, in addition to all the usual functions, allow me to pinpoint the location of other units (one of which I will have to surgically attach to my son). First of all, would I need to get digital maps of the MRV and have a unit capable of accepting them for it to be useful? If so, can I get one unit with all those capabilities and others that are cheaper.
Also some units have 1 watt GMRS transmitters and others are 5 watt. Is 1 watt sufficient?

Obviously from my questions I have done a little browsing but really know 'nothing about these things so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lostone
05-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Moving to Miscellaneous

Lostone
05-28-2007, 08:55 AM
1) GMRS radios: The more watts the better. But the real problem with radios is not power, but those Damn mountains! The radios are line of sight.

B) I know there is a GPS unit that does transmit over FRS, but not sure which. I have a (old, now) Magellan GPS. A big concern is how well they receive under cover. That includes trees, but also under clothing, as you might not want it exposed, while skiing.

bill-now
05-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Here are my experiences with GPS and FRS.

1) A typical GPS will suffer poor satellite reception if it is inside a pocket. This is a problem, especially in cold weather because battery life plummets when they get cold. The latest receivers that have a SIRF GPS receiver are sensitive enough to work indoors, so they probably would also work inside a jacket. The Garmin GPS60Cx and the 520HCx are two units that use these new receiver chips.

2) We use 1 Watt FRS radios and operation is hit or miss on the mountain. As Lostone pointed out, these radios are line of sight. For example, from the top of Heaven's Gate down to the Gate House works fine; from the bottom of HG to the GH is lousy. More power is always better, but isn't the total solution.

3) I know of no commercial maps that have all of the details such as ski trails, lodges, etc that you may be looking for. It is possible to make your own maps but you have to have a bit of geek in you to accomplish that feat. The maps that come with the GPS unit typically only show major roads and highways. To get street level detail requires an additional purchase. Also be aware, that each GPS will only work with maps from the same manufacturer. For example, Garmin maps don't work with Magellan receivers.

It all boils down to what you intend to use the GPS/FRS for; in my experience the FRS is OK for non urgent communications but I wouldn't rely on it for anything critical such as locating a lost child.

HowieT2
05-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Here are my experiences with GPS and FRS.

1) A typical GPS will suffer poor satellite reception if it is inside a pocket. This is a problem, especially in cold weather because battery life plummets when they get cold. The latest receivers that have a SIRF GPS receiver are sensitive enough to work indoors, so they probably would also work inside a jacket. The Garmin GPS60Cx and the 520HCx are two units that use these new receiver chips.

2) We use 1 Watt FRS radios and operation is hit or miss on the mountain. As Lostone pointed out, these radios are line of sight. For example, from the top of Heaven's Gate down to the Gate House works fine; from the bottom of HG to the GH is lousy. More power is always better, but isn't the total solution.

3) I know of no commercial maps that have all of the details such as ski trails, lodges, etc that you may be looking for. It is possible to make your own maps but you have to have a bit of geek in you to accomplish that feat. The maps that come with the GPS unit typically only show major roads and highways. To get street level detail requires an additional purchase. Also be aware, that each GPS will only work with maps from the same manufacturer. For example, Garmin maps don't work with Magellan receivers.

It all boils down to what you intend to use the GPS/FRS for; in my experience the FRS is OK for non urgent communications but I wouldn't rely on it for anything critical such as locating a lost child.

I want to use it skiing and mountain biking. I was looking at the Garmin Rino ( I believe the new model is the 520Hcx you mentioned) which combines GPS/FRS/GMRS and gives you the ability to locate other units within range. This could be very handy with my 10 year old (it was not fun trying to find him in Paradise woods this past season). Unfortunately the price is way too much, but from what I understand the affordable models won't do me much good.

Thanks for the input.

BTW-this would be great thing for the mountain to offer to rent for the day.

Lostone
05-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Interesting thought. How much would you (someone) pay for a daily rental? They used to rent the FRS radios, when they first came out.

My Magellan has a topo map. It is good, but doesn't show any of the trails. The real problem is that it has the general topo information from USGS, so doesn't show things like ravines or humps, that may be in front of you.

Also, the big thing about them is getting the data off, and seeing where you've been. (Would be a lot better if it showed the trails.) That would likely not be available, for someone who rented it, for a day.

Mine did work pretty well, in my jacket pocket. There were a few burps, but that happens a lot, I find. Most are very noticeable.

You wouldn't need to have a gps that transmits, to find you son. Rather have him give the coordinates of his location. You could then plug in that set in a Goto, to be able to see where he is.

They're neat toys. :D

I got one because a friend got one. I was asking him about all the functions. He said, "You know what I don't understand?" I thought he was talking about a function, and said I didn't. He said that he didn't understand why I didn't already have one.

Here is a site with a lot of GPS info: GPSInformation.net (http://www.gpsinformation.net/)

Some is quite dated, but there is also a forum off it, for questions.

HowieT2
05-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Interesting thought. How much would you (someone) pay for a daily rental? They used to rent the FRS radios, when they first came out.

My Magellan has a topo map. It is good, but doesn't show any of the trails. The real problem is that it has the general topo information from USGS, so doesn't show things like ravines or humps, that may be in front of you.

Also, the big thing about them is getting the data off, and seeing where you've been. (Would be a lot better if it showed the trails.) That would likely not be available, for someone who rented it, for a day.

Mine did work pretty well, in my jacket pocket. There were a few burps, but that happens a lot, I find. Most are very noticeable.

You wouldn't need to have a gps that transmits, to find you son. Rather have him give the coordinates of his location. You could then plug in that set in a Goto, to be able to see where he is.

They're neat toys. :D

I got one because a friend got one. I was asking him about all the functions. He said, "You know what I don't understand?" I thought he was talking about a function, and said I didn't. He said that he didn't understand why I didn't already have one.

Here is a site with a lot of GPS info: GPSInformation.net (http://www.gpsinformation.net/)

Some is quite dated, but there is also a forum off it, for questions.

Thanks. I can easily see people renting these things from the MT for at least $10/day, especially if they have local detailed maps installed. There must be maps available in some format.
I would really love to plug in the coordinates of where I find a good line so I can get back to it again. I can't tell you how much time I have spent looking for the same lines especially all the way skiers left in the wood off Paradise.

Lostone
05-29-2007, 08:28 AM
There must be maps available in some format.

Before I broke down and bought the Mapsend program, which gave me the Topo map, I tried a lot of different programs.

First of all, the only thing to actually be able to be uploaded to the gps is that company's maps.

Getting the info off the gps was a little better, but the only thing I was able to use to get all the info off the gps was... Mapsend.

My buddy didn't seem to be able to get much off his Garmin, either.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had better luck.

Also, I would doubt that $10/day would be worthwhile, as a business. It would take 20-40 days to pay off the base investment, not counting insurance and a possible repair program? Then, there is the question as to if you cold get the data, and what you would put it on.

Lostone
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Odd timing... :shock:

I was looking for something else, and found this:

Garmin Rino 530 (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/405499244)

I don't know this company. They came up in a search. I like the price, but would be very wary of the "As Is" condition.

But there is a pretty good idea of the device. :wink:

HowieT2
05-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Odd timing... :shock:

I was looking for something else, and found this:

Garmin Rino 530 (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/405499244)

I don't know this company. They came up in a search. I like the price, but would be very wary of the "As Is" condition.

But there is a pretty good idea of the device. :wink:

That's what I was looking at also, but the price is too steep for me. To utilize it's capability of locating another device, you have to get at least two. Giving a $400 handheld to my son to lose while skiing is a recipe for disaster. Hopefully by the time I'm cogitate over this and am finally ready to buy the price will come down. Although, the prices on GPS devices seem to hold pretty steady.