PDA

View Full Version : More on Fly Fishing?

CapeSkiGuy
05-07-2007, 03:33 PM
A while back, there were some posts on fly fishing in the MRV and vicinity. Can anyone add to these? Is the closest fly shop in Stowe? I'm looking for local knowledge about river and pond fishing...there has got to be some local experts who use this board. I tried to reach the listed guides, to no avail, and it is just about time to fish. Any thoughts? Thanks!

noski
05-08-2007, 07:53 AM
I am surprised you have been unable to reach the anglers I mentioned in earlier posts. Again, Ron Majorell at Deer Meadow Inn is at 802-496-2850 or Jake at Valley Anglers 802-496-9347. If you don't get a prompt response, pm me and I will make calls myself. Tell them I sent you, please! :)

Yard Sale
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
In that other thread SRO had mentioned the Winooski up by route 2 as being very accessible. And I found this guy on line. I don't know if this is link is what your looking for but, but here it is any way. When my schedule permits I hope to be dropping into a couple of the local streams a little later in the spring. Hopefully I'll have some post worthy results.

http://community.middlebury.edu/~dickerso/fishing/tipslinks.htm

Yesterday's bump is today's trout pool.

CapeSkiGuy
05-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks...I will try again this week. I am going to try to get a look at the Winooski when I get back to the Valley tomorrow. What I really am hoping for is the name of a couple of ponds in the Valley area that I can fly fish in the event of rain. I'm bringing up a couple of friends for a boys' fishing weekend, and I want to have a couple of good alternatives...If we get heavy rain before we arrive, the river may be unfishable, so I want a "Plan B" sort of thing. Also, where in the Valley can I grab a fishing license? Thanks in advance, as always.

Yard Sale
05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
You can buy your licence on line or locate a local agent here.

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/buylicense.cfm

Further, I can't help you with local ponds in VT as I have yet to wet a line in the state of VT myself, but if I were planning a trip I would look into dam regulated waters such as the Lamoile (Not in the valley but not too far and reportedly nice fishing). Streams with dams are generally less sensitive to precip than unregulated waters, and unless the precip is heavy and sustained enough to cause a dam release the water might not rise much if at all.

Check: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/ for flow data

And since your on the Cape. Have you ever walked out on the Brewster Flats during the falling tide fishing for stripers? It's a nice take for any fly fishing or light tackle enthusiast.

Good luck.

Good luck.

CapeSkiGuy
05-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the info! And although I never have ventured out to Brewster for the fishing, there seems to be plenty right here in my village on the south side. Holdovers are moving, schoolies will be here soon, and the keepers will be in once the lilacs bloom! Thanks again...

Yard Sale
05-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Perhaps I'll be calling on you for some striper advice in the near future. :D

ski_resort_observer
05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
The only body of water in the valley with public access is Blueberry Lake but I have no clue on whether the fishing is any good or not. Plenty of access and slow holes along the Mad River but from what I have been told it's not much of a fishery. Certainly be fine to practice.

Now that I think about it I have seen folks fishing the Mad River a mile or so north of Moretown Village along the long straight section of Rt 100. There is a pull off just before Stevens Brook Rd.

CapeSkiGuy
05-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks. I saw that stretch of the Mad and stopped in the pull off when I was up in the valley this past week. Looked like a great spot to wet a line. I know where Blueberry Lake is roughly, but I couldn't locate it in my atlas. Blueberry XC center is listed, but not the lake itself! I will check more thoroughly next weekend.

ski_resort_observer
05-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Just drive past the xc center a mile or so and you will see it on your left. The Town of Warren owns most of the land around it just drive alittle bit around it you will see a rough small parking area for access.