PDA

View Full Version : The Sugarbush Master Plan and Changes for the Summer

thinksnow
05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Excerpt from 05-03-2007 "Sugarbuzz" (newsletter for Sugarbush employees)

Dear Team:
We have been delighted with the success of both Clay Brook and our new Gate House. It is clear that this first phase of our Lincoln Peak Development has been a great success, and the reviews that we have received from both long time “Sugarbushers” as well as new guests have been most gratifying. With a project of this scale there are always punch list items and improvements that need to occur, and we have worked on many of these over the winter season. There are still a number of items that need to be completed when the snows melt to finalize both buildings. Rather than proceed with the new Skier Services Lodge this summer, we felt it was prudent to move its construction to the summer of 2008 with the goal of having it fully completed by the start of the 2008/2009 season. This will give us the time to thoughtfully plan this important new lodge and also ensure that it will be finished on time. The new Skier Services Lodge will be located to the North of Clay Brook in the area now occupied by the “Interim Village”, and it will house our rental, repair, demo, tickets, Adventure Learning Center programs and another cafeteria to replace that in the old Valley House. We have some preliminary architectural plans, but we will be working with the appropriate members of our team to finalize them over the next couple of months. We are also planning additional residential buildings in proximity to the Skier Services Lodge that will provide additional slope side accommodations. While Clay Brook has gone a long way towards providing the bed base necessary to make us a viable four-season resort, additional units are necessary. Next winter we will continue to operate out of the interim village, which has functioned well these past two seasons, and we will also continue to utilize the Valley House as we did this winter. Please not hesitate to let us know if we can answer any questions.

Bob Ackland
President
Real Estate Development Division

Think Snow~

05-04-2007, 01:11 PM
So it looks like VH is not going to be razed this summer?

Yard Sale
05-04-2007, 01:19 PM
While look forward to have the Skier Services Facility in place, I like this move. Management did a great job this past season, but a lot of moves were made this past season to accomodate for the unforseen. With a year of operation under their belts, adjustments on the fly will be less likely. You have to applaud the patience, which I imagine comes at no small cost, in order to improve rather than jus expand.

Tin Woodsman
05-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Smart move, IMHO, and not surprising. We hadn't heard a lot about the Skier Services Lodge (SSL) since Win mentioned it mid-winter. This was a pretty clear sign that the plan was being reevaluated. There are a number of things that need to be addressed, and done so thoroughly and thoughtfully, in and around the two new buildings from this off-season. Off the top of my head, they'll probably want to:

1) Finish the fine-turning of the Timbers menu, service, and seating situation. Lots of progress on this front throughout the year, but more works needs to be done and a replacement for the now-departed chef is needed. Hopefully, the new guy will have a better sense of what the position requires outside of the kitchen than his predecessor.

2) Find a solution to expand seating capacity in Castlerock Pub. The outdoor patio space is nice, but a real waste of space for 75% of the year. No one wants to freeze their butt off outside when it's 20 degrees and partly sunny with a cold NW wind. Please implement some sort of temporary cover for early December through March 15.

3) Create more storage space for the bags. If SB is going to stick with its unfortunate "no bags" policy in the main cafeteria at Gate House, then they have to bow to what their customers behaviors are telling them, no matter how much SB fanboys insist otherwise. You can't change human behavior, and people are going to want to change down there to get it over with as quickly as possible instead of changing upstairs and storing downstairs.

Great to hear that VH will be left standing while the SSL is in limbo and that the SSL will definitely contain a cafeteria. Smart.

Strat
05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Quick note, I heard the executive chef spot at Timbers is already sorta filled, unless they find a better candidate they're just promoting someone already on the inside... just a rumor though.

win
05-07-2007, 03:19 PM
A rumor that is not true. We have a great new general manager and Executive Chef for Timbers that is well known in The Valley! I will keep you hanging for a couple of days to see how long it takes the Valley Buzz to announce it here for me. We will be shutting down for a couple of weeks for Spring cleaning except for a few special functions and then will reopen to the public in June. Thanks to Sam Palmisano, Jr. who pitched in to help us and is now returning to focus on his new restaurant.

Strat
05-08-2007, 08:26 PM
The rumor mill is once again shut down... curious to know who the new person is.

Tin Woodsman
05-08-2007, 10:50 PM
I've changed the title of this thread to expand its remit to cover discussion on thoughts from the community with respect to ideas for improvement this summer. I've laid out a few above, but I sure as hell don't own the franchise on ideas in that regard.

Strat
05-09-2007, 10:15 AM
So should we brainstorm some thoughts for the new cafeteria space (even though it's now a ways off)? I'm thinking that they should really aim for the warm, homey feel that's missing from the GH lodge... there's no reason that such a space can't be included in that building (I don't think at least)... I love the idea of a lounge for non-skiers and waiting parents to relax in, with a fireplace, maybe some small food offerings, coffee, hot cider, brownies, that stuff, in addition to a larger cafeteria (though both rooms should be boot friendly)... definitely feeling a red interior vibe to contrast the blue industrial style of the Gatehouse...

HowieT2
05-09-2007, 10:59 AM
So should we brainstorm some thoughts for the new cafeteria space (even though it's now a ways off)? I'm thinking that they should really aim for the warm, homey feel that's missing from the GH lodge... there's no reason that such a space can't be included in that building (I don't think at least)... I love the idea of a lounge for non-skiers and waiting parents to relax in, with a fireplace, maybe some small food offerings, coffee, hot cider, brownies, that stuff, in addition to a larger cafeteria (though both rooms should be boot friendly)... definitely feeling a red interior vibe to contrast the blue industrial style of the Gatehouse...

Can't comment on color schemes (I leave that to the wife), but I certainly would like to see a fireplace, some comfortable seating and food offerings ala a coffee shop, like what starbucks has. Coffees, teas, good bakery items (croissants from the Warren store), light sandwiches, salads, etc.

Yard Sale
05-09-2007, 12:24 PM

Can't comment on color schemes (I leave that to the wife), but I certainly would like to see a fireplace, some comfortable seating and food offerings ala a coffee shop, like what starbucks has. Coffees, teas, good bakery items (croissants from the Warren store), light sandwiches, salads, etc.

I like your idea of acoffe shop, but I'd like to see that as a stand alone operation and not as a segment of cafeteria menu. I think business would be brisk and it could offer an alternative to a cafeteria during peak hours.

Tin Woodsman
05-09-2007, 03:40 PM

Great post/idea. I couldn't agree more. Something warm and homey that parents could relax in while waiting for kids. A fireplace where people could relax in front of - sort of like Allyn's Lodge writ large. Not sure if would need to be a separate room from the cafeteria - there's only so much space available. Quality coffee shop is a must, IMHO, or some sort of ground floor retail. Also, I think ti would make the most sense to move the retail ski shop on the bottom floor of GH over to the SSL. Unless you are able to take over some of the food storage space on the north end of that floor in GH, there's no way you can expand the boot/bag storage and changing area.

Mike_451
05-09-2007, 10:22 PM
How about some real tvs in the second floor of Gatehouse with ESPN and some Ski Movies.

Bubba
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
How about some real tvs in the second floor of Gatehouse with ESPN and some Ski Movies.

I'm pretty sure that the TVs they have are "real".

How much time do you plan on spending in the lodge watching the tube?
I hate walking into the conference room and seeing all the kids in a nikelodean(sp?) coma.
TV= potato :cry:
Skiing/Riding= Fun, Exercise, Healthy :D

Lostone
05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Skiing/Riding= Fun, Exercise, Healthy

So... Why am I still so sore? :cry:

:lol:

But I totally agree with you on the TV! :wink:

HowieT2
05-10-2007, 01:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that the TVs they have are "real".

How much time do you plan on spending in the lodge watching the tube?
I hate walking into the conference room and seeing all the kids in a nikelodean(sp?) coma.
TV= potato :cry:
Skiing/Riding= Fun, Exercise, Healthy :D

I have to agree with Mike, the tv are too small for the space. While I understand what they were trying to do, not overwhelming the ambiance with giant screens, 42" is just too small. As to what is shown on the tv, I too would like to see some sports like skiing or on weekends, football. I mean this is America for Gods sakes.
And while on the subject, what is the deal with the Sugarbush Resort TV channel. It has to be the worst ski resort channel I have ever come across. I'm not asking for much just a snow/trail/weather report in the morning.

gone.skiing
05-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I would not mind having something different on the TVs. There are only so many times one can watch the commercials. There are always those days where it is 10 below before wind chill. A little variety would not hurt for frequent coffee breaks. I do not think you would find too many couch potatoes on powder days.

ski_resort_observer
05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
You guys are kidding right? If not here's a tip....stay in your condo, motel or stay home...you can watch anything you want. It's a ski area base lodge for god's sake. :roll:

I think the RSN Sugarbush channel is awesome. BTW RSN was recently bought by the CEO, a side deal with a few of his friends, of Peaks Resorts who recently bought Mt Snow and Attitash. Real Thrills with Glen Plake is a riot, especially Crash of the Day, course that won't happen to you guys as you will be in Gatehouse Lodge arguing over what channel to watch on the too small tv's. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HowieT2
05-10-2007, 03:25 PM
You guys are kidding right? If not here's a tip....stay in your condo, motel or stay home...you can watch anything you want. It's a ski area base lodge for god's sake. :roll:

I think the RSN Sugarbush channel is awesome. BTW RSN was recently bought by the CEO, a side deal with a few of his friends, of Peaks Resorts who recently bought Mt Snow and Attitash. Real Thrills with Glen Plake is a riot, especially Crash of the Day, course that won't happen to you guys as you will be in Gatehouse Lodge arguing over what channel to watch on the too small tv's. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not kidding at all. When I'm in the lodge I'd like to see something on the television other than the trail report. They display sports on the TVs in CR pub, why not upstairs. And I think the 42" tv's are too small. The are dwarfed by the dimensions of the room.

How can you say the RSN channel is awesome, when you wake up in the morning and you can't get any information about the coming day. Sure I like ski videos on off hours but it is worthless if you're looking for information.

Strat
05-10-2007, 06:16 PM
The TV issue is an interesting one. On one hand you have the fact that it is a lodge and people will be hanging out in there when they're not skiing, and a TV (especially displaying sports) would be a welcome amenity, even while one munches on a $7.00 burger. On the other hand you have the obvious fact that people should be out skiing, not watching the tube. I have to think from some sort of administrative perspective it makes sense to not have compelling programming on during the busy periods... you don't want a bunch of people clumping up in front of a TV, taking up space in the already-cramped lodge, impeding the food-aquiring and money-spending ability of your hungry cafeteria-goers.

Of course I think the answer to this is to adapt part of the new cafeteria/lounge space into an environment in which a bunch of people can crowd around and watch the Giants or the Eagles or what have you (I'm not much of a football guy). The new base village will only really be a success if Sugarbush can effectively utilize this new cafeteria space.

As for RSN, I have no problem with it. Yes, it's a bit lame, but it's local, and it's better than having no television outlet for the resort... I've never had problems seeing the snow report on there, every weekend morning it's on scrolling by for several hours...

HowieT2
05-10-2007, 09:08 PM
The TV issue is an interesting one. On one hand you have the fact that it is a lodge and people will be hanging out in there when they're not skiing, and a TV (especially displaying sports) would be a welcome amenity, even while one munches on a $7.00 burger. On the other hand you have the obvious fact that people should be out skiing, not watching the tube. I have to think from some sort of administrative perspective it makes sense to not have compelling programming on during the busy periods... you don't want a bunch of people clumping up in front of a TV, taking up space in the already-cramped lodge, impeding the food-aquiring and money-spending ability of your hungry cafeteria-goers.

Of course I think the answer to this is to adapt part of the new cafeteria/lounge space into an environment in which a bunch of people can crowd around and watch the Giants or the Eagles or what have you (I'm not much of a football guy). The new base village will only really be a success if Sugarbush can effectively utilize this new cafeteria space.

As for RSN, I have no problem with it. Yes, it's a bit lame, but it's local, and it's better than having no television outlet for the resort... I've never had problems seeing the snow report on there, every weekend morning it's on scrolling by for several hours...

Maybe it's me but I can't imagine anyone being lured by TV to vegetate in the lodge while they could be skiing. However there are times when I'm eating or waiting for somebody for whatever reason when I would appreciate something to watch.

Strat
05-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Well you have the situations where it's -10 and windy and you go for a few runs and need to thaw... the situation is certainly foreseeable...

HowieT2
05-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Well you have the situations where it's -10 and windy and you go for a few runs and need to thaw... the situation is certainly foreseeable...

True, True. Although personally I like to take advantage of the paucity of lift lines on days like that. Come to think of it, I don't think I had more than one or two of those this season. It was quite temperate. Or maybe it was all that powder we were working through.

Mike_451
05-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Well, according to the No TV arguement lets rip all the tv's out of the CR pub.

I am not that big of a TV watcher, but I like to keep tabs on sports happenings. Virtualy every bar, casual restaurant, and :? ski resort I have been to has a tv going with ESPN.

gone.skiing
05-11-2007, 07:20 AM

That is a great argument. Why even have a base area? We can change in our cars, eat on the lifts and use trees for bathroom breaks to maximize skiing and when we are done we can go drinking to our condos. So let's tear down CR pub too. Here is a tip for you: think about all types of customers. Kids can't be out in all types of weather all day long. 1/2 hour break with good skiing footage goes a long way. Nobody is talking about sitting in the lodge all day.

Lostone
05-11-2007, 08:13 AM
(IMNATHO) There is more than enough entertainment in any lodge, without TV.

For some TV is a slight diversion. To many others, it is an annoyance. I can see the argument of the -5° day, or the day where the precipitation is... not quite mature enough. But if they had them and they weren't running them, people would complain. People will also complain if they are not showing something those people want to watch.

I think you should find the ability to live without the "diversion" of TV, while you are in a ski lodge.

(Is it really a diversion, if it is something you see all the time?)

Tin Woodsman
05-11-2007, 11:11 AM

For some TV is a slight diversion. To many others, it is an annoyance. I can see the argument of the -5° day, or the day where the precipitation is... not quite mature enough. But if they had them and they weren't running them, people would complain. People will also complain if they are not showing something those people want to watch.

I think you should find the ability to live without the "diversion" of TV, while you are in a ski lodge.

How is it a diversion or annyoance when in all likelihood the volume is off? Does everyone at SB have ADD? there are a multitude of reasons why people may want to watch something interesting while on a break from skiing. Kids that are cold. Parents that are waiting. A few minutes at lunch or while bootingup to get the stoke fired up. Any number of things. The fact is that the current set up pleases no one b/c the people who want to watch the TVs can't see them from more than a row of tables away, if that. They are too small and some are angled in directions where few people can see them anyway. Moreover, if you tuns into the Weather Channel all day, you're going to get a couple hours of Storm Stories, or whetever lobotomized programming they're showing these days.

You either have them there, or you don't There is clearly a demand from a significant segment of the great unwashed to have them there, so why not do it right instead of a retarded half-way house that pleases no one?

HowieT2
05-11-2007, 11:23 AM

How is it a diversion or annyoance when in all likelihood the volume is off? Does everyone at SB have ADD? there are a multitude of reasons why people may want to watch something interesting while on a break from skiing. Kids that are cold. Parents that are waiting. A few minutes at lunch or while bootingup to get the stoke fired up. Any number of things. The fact is that the current set up pleases no one b/c the people who want to watch the TVs can't see them from more than a row of tables away, if that. They are too small and some are angled in directions where few people can see them anyway. Moreover, if you tuns into the Weather Channel all day, you're going to get a couple hours of Storm Stories, or whetever lobotomized programming they're showing these days.

You either have them there, or you don't There is clearly a demand from a significant segment of the great unwashed to have them there, so why not do it right instead of a retarded half-way house that pleases no one?

I probably would not have used such colorful analogies, but I agree.

Bubba
05-11-2007, 12:03 PM

I probably would not have used such colorful analogies, but I agree.

Yikes!!
Once again you folks have brought whining to a new high.
All this over a TV??
Wow.
You really need to get out more.

Tin Woodsman
05-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Yikes!!
All this over a TV??
Wow.

Who's whining? Just pointing out that the arguments against properly locating and sizing the TVs make no sense. The notion that people will stay inside to veg in front of the TV instead of skiing is ridiculous. It's just a straw man the people are arguing against, though no one has taken any such position. You've got TVs that few people can see b/c they are either pointing in a weird direction or they are just too small given that they are 20' off the ground. If you are going to have them there at all, then do it right. Nothing more, nothing less.

HowieT2
05-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Yikes!!
All this over a TV??
Wow.

Who's whining? Just pointing out that the arguments against properly locating and sizing the TVs make no sense. The notion that people will stay inside to veg in front of the TV instead of skiing is ridiculous. It's just a straw man the people are arguing against, though no one has taken any such position. You've got TVs that few people can see b/c they are either pointing in a weird direction or they are just too small given that they are 20' off the ground. If you are going to have them there at all, then do it right. Nothing more, nothing less.

I guess when you fail to come up with any reasonable arguments against a post you don't like, you just call it whining. I think I can speak for Tin on this, we aren't "whining" that we're not going to frequent SB because of this or anything of the sort. We're not saying the GH lodge sucks because of the tvs. If they don't put some sports on and leave the same monitors, I'll be fine and I doubt they'll lose any business. That being said, I hope to be eating in that lodge at least 25 days next season and hope to see something other than a static trail report on monitors that are large enough to see what is displayed.

HowieT2
05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
This is somewhat off topic but the defense of the size of the tvs brings this to mind. It appears to me that some people both on and off this board have an irrational deprecating attitude towards tv. As soon as the subject is mentioned they pronounce how "they don't watch tv" and how people become zombies watching tv. My in-laws are this way. Sure they watch tv just like everyone else, but because of their attitude they watch it on a 13" screen that they just bought and you can't see anything o0n the freakin' thing. Why would they do that? Because they can't admit to themselves that TV is not evil. Sure it can be if you sit there and watch mindless crap all day. Just like almost anything when taken to an extreme. But I don't think there is any reason for these visceral reactions against tv.

Yard Sale
05-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I like TV. I watch TV, and the points made here about them being small and the quality of the programming being blah are valid. But for me on a thread about changes at the Bush that I'd like to see, TVs just don't have a high priority to me. In fact I don't care if the tvs are there or not.

But I'll tell you what I would like to see, maybe a large fire pit out in the plaza. It could be gas or it could be wood. Either would be fine. I know there are a bunch of reasons why there shouldn't be a fire pit: cost, safety or the enviornment to name a few. But I've seen them at other resorts and I think they are pretty cool. People congregate at a fire pit while just passing by or they make it a destination. Especially with Claybrook on line a feature like that would be a true ammenity to the resort that pretty much everyone would enjoy. You could run very fun social events centered around such an ammenity. What is nicer than being outside on winter's night? A fire pit would draw people outside not unlike the fireworks do only on a smaller scale but it would be every afternoon and evening of the season. It woiuld add to the whole God it's good to be alive and do I love it here ambiance. People would say "remember that time at Sugarbush we were all outside at that fire pit and the whole valley was lit up by the moon. I can't wait to go back."

The other thing I'd like to see are some big clocks outside like there used to be. It's easier to coordinate meeting up with people if you have a community time piece. Ifact boith of these features would play very nicely together on New Years.

Tin Woodsman
05-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Seconded, on both accounts. Great ideas, especially the clock. Can't tell you how many times I rounded the corner on Snowball or Spring Fling and looke up expecting to see a clock down there. Alas.

Fire pit would be fun, though you've got to watch those kids.

Yard Sale
05-12-2007, 09:35 AM
True, safety is always the first concern. But I've seen it done at different resorts and the kids can enjoy it as well.

Mike_451
05-12-2007, 02:31 PM
A firepit is less inherently dangerous than skiing

HowieT2
05-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Agreed. A large clock would be great. I'd like to see a fire pit too but don't know where it would be practical.
Also, don't get me wrong the tv thing is not a big deal, one way or the other.

Treehugger
05-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Gerry Noonie is returning to take on Timbers, after founding, then quitting Egan's. Then a short stint at NECI. Why, I don't know. He's burnt out on the restaurant business.

boze
05-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Any update on plans / permits to do this work? Any volunteer corp needed? I appreciate the complexities involved, from NFS approval, forestry care, and cost / 'ROI'.

Action is needed sooner than later given the delicate even dicey conditon of many gladed areas, which has been noted on these boards & elsewhere eg AZ. Downed trees, branch / tree choked stream beds, 2' stumps, 3'+ high underbrush - it all contributes to further reducing the truly amazing terrain that in the past has enjoyed periodic care. Putting my money where my mouth is, I'd happily volunteer for a couple days on a glade chain gang w/o need for compensation of any sort...except for a nod from Ma Nature for a powder-rich season.

Other thoughts:
- A simple blazing system at the edges of the boundary-area glades, to visually communicate to the terrain-challenged that they are near a natural boundary & risk getting into terrain from which there is no easy 'escape' other than post-holing it (nothing extensive here & only on the riskiest areas eg, when aspect changes would drop folks into a non-serviced area).
- Consistent signage notifying skiers that Ski Patrol monitors the "9-11" channel-frequendy common to many civilian walkie-talkies; this came in handy last season when a friend & I needed to get word to Ski Patrol about some in aour party being MIA in the woods as the sun began to set late one Winter ski day.
- Clock helpful starting with consistently located larger ones by each lift. Firepit a nice touch assuming location found to keep smoke out of buildings.
- RSN reports need to be current at least 30 minutes before lifts start turning; on several trips this year in Feb & Mar they were not.
- To be useful, TVs need to be visible to more patrons ie they need to be bigger. Maybe the forthcoming Services building will permit casual lounging space to accommodate folks for whom (& for whatever reason) they wish to avail themselves of some decent & visible programming.
- Hot cider hand-outs are nice touch but keep it off the stairways as it can clog foot traffic. Oh, and I prefer my hot cider with a shot of good rum! :wink:

BushMogulMaster
05-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Gerry Noonie is returning to take on Timbers, after founding, then quitting Egan's. Then a short stint at NECI. Why, I don't know. He's burnt out on the restaurant business.

Maybe you could enlighten us as to on what basis you made that last statement? Something personal against Gerry, or what? :?: :?

For those who haven't seen it, here's the press release that Win posted in the Timbers thread:

Local Favorites Return to Sugarbush

Two Long-time Valley Residents Set to Run Sugarbush Food and Beverage

Warren, VT (May 9, 2007)- Gerry Nooney and Chris Clements, both long-time Valley residents, will be bringing their expertise and love of food to the Sugarbush Hospitality team. Starting next month, Clements will oversee all of the resort’s Food and Beverage business while Nooney will assume the position of General Manager and Executive Chef for Timbers. Both men have decades of experience in the food and beverage world.

Gerry Nooney will accept the toque at Timbers from outgoing chef Sam Palmisano. Palmisano, who put in countless hours and played a key role in authoring Timbers’ menu during the latter portion of the season, will be leaving Sugarbush to open his own restaurant, Pulcinella’s, in South Burlington.

“Sam stepped up when we needed him this winter and we wish him great success in his new business,” said Sugarbush President Win Smith.

Nooney, a 21-year Valley resident, has a long history in the restaurant business. In the late 80s he was the chef at the Tucker Hill Lodge. He then went to work in the Sugarbush Inn’s Onion Patch, a restaurant he transformed into the Grill Down Under. It was his experience with the Grill Down Under that gave him the motivation to open his own place. In 1993 he opened John Egan’s Big World Pub, a restaurant that has become a Valley institution.

“Gerry was the driving force behind the Big World’s (Pub) immediate success,” remarked John Egan. “He brings a fun and infectious energy that spills out of the kitchen and into the dining area. Plus, I know his love of sport and healthy living will translate into the next evolution of Timbers’ menu.”

Throughout his career, Nooney has worked with the New England Culinary Institute as both an instructor in fine dining and as mentor to the school’s students. It’s an experience he believes to be invaluable.

“You need a deep understanding of food to truly bring out its flavor,” remarked the 46-year old. “When you have that, you create dishes that people will come back again and again to enjoy.”

Nooney is completing teaching at NECI and will start work at Timbers in June.

Taking the helm as Food and Beverage Director, Chris Clements began his hospitality career with ARA Leisure Services, the company that owned Sugarbush in the early 80s. While with ARA, Clements was responsible for the food and beverage operations for Sugarbush, as well as two ARA resorts in Pennsylvania. He accepted a job with Marriott Management Services in 1988 and was charged with retooling and refining the hospitality and catering operations of such large-scale outfits as Ohio State University’s Concession division, University Of Michigan Athletics and the Stratton Mountain Ski Resort. He landed back at Sugarbush in 1994 as the Food Service Director, responsible for all on-mountain food service and golf course offerings. In 1997 he opened Clifford’s Catering and Bongiorno’s Restaurant in Fayston. Most recently, Clements served as Sodexho’s General Manager for the National Aquarium in Baltimore.

“We are really pleased that Chris and Gerry will be joining our team,” continued Smith. “To get professionals of their expertise and wealth of knowledge as well as their love of the Valley and knowledge of Sugarbush is key to the continuing improvement of the visitor experience at the resort and the success of the Food and Beverage unit.”

noski
05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
He's burnt out on the restaurant business.

Industry pun??? :wink:

Mike_451
05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, I don't know for sure why he quit Egans but after he did it went downhill.

Mike_451
05-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Any update on plans / permits to do this work? Any volunteer corp needed? I appreciate the complexities involved, from NFS approval, forestry care, and cost / 'ROI'.

Action is needed sooner than later given the delicate even dicey conditon of many gladed areas, which has been noted on these boards & elsewhere eg AZ. Downed trees, branch / tree choked stream beds, 2' stumps, 3'+ high underbrush - it all contributes to further reducing the truly amazing terrain that in the past has enjoyed periodic care. Putting my money where my mouth is, I'd happily volunteer for a couple days on a glade chain gang w/o need for compensation of any sort...except for a nod from Ma Nature for a powder-rich season.

Other thoughts:
- A simple blazing system at the edges of the boundary-area glades, to visually communicate to the terrain-challenged that they are near a natural boundary & risk getting into terrain from which there is no easy 'escape' other than post-holing it (nothing extensive here & only on the riskiest areas eg, when aspect changes would drop folks into a non-serviced area).
- Consistent signage notifying skiers that Ski Patrol monitors the "9-11" channel-frequendy common to many civilian walkie-talkies; this came in handy last season when a friend & I needed to get word to Ski Patrol about some in aour party being MIA in the woods as the sun began to set late one Winter ski day.
- Clock helpful starting with consistently located larger ones by each lift. Firepit a nice touch assuming location found to keep smoke out of buildings.
- RSN reports need to be current at least 30 minutes before lifts start turning; on several trips this year in Feb & Mar they were not.
- To be useful, TVs need to be visible to more patrons ie they need to be bigger. Maybe the forthcoming Services building will permit casual lounging space to accommodate folks for whom (& for whatever reason) they wish to avail themselves of some decent & visible programming.
- Hot cider hand-outs are nice touch but keep it off the stairways as it can clog foot traffic. Oh, and I prefer my hot cider with a shot of good rum! :wink:

Aggreed about the glade maintenance.

My last trip through Paridise Woods I was thinking, this place is a mess :x

In addition I would like to add that alot of the on trail glades such as Murphys, Domino, Sleeper, Birch Run, and Sunrise of which the trees have suffered the ill effects of snowmaking could use some restoration to thier former glory.

They are barely giving us free water, do you think they are going to start handing out free cider :?

Treehugger
05-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Maybe you could enlighten us as to on what basis you made that last statement? Something personal against Gerry, or what? :?: :?

For those who haven't seen it, here's the press release that Win posted in the Timbers thread:

Local Favorites Return to Sugarbush

Two Long-time Valley Residents Set to Run Sugarbush Food and Beverage

Warren, VT (May 9, 2007)- Gerry Nooney and Chris Clements, both long-time Valley residents, will be bringing their expertise and love of food to the Sugarbush Hospitality team. Starting next month, Clements will oversee all of the resort’s Food and Beverage business while Nooney will assume the position of General Manager and Executive Chef for Timbers. Both men have decades of experience in the food and beverage world.

Gerry Nooney will accept the toque at Timbers from outgoing chef Sam Palmisano. Palmisano, who put in countless hours and played a key role in authoring Timbers’ menu during the latter portion of the season, will be leaving Sugarbush to open his own restaurant, Pulcinella’s, in South Burlington.

“Sam stepped up when we needed him this winter and we wish him great success in his new business,” said Sugarbush President Win Smith.

Nooney, a 21-year Valley resident, has a long history in the restaurant business. In the late 80s he was the chef at the Tucker Hill Lodge. He then went to work in the Sugarbush Inn’s Onion Patch, a restaurant he transformed into the Grill Down Under. It was his experience with the Grill Down Under that gave him the motivation to open his own place. In 1993 he opened John Egan’s Big World Pub, a restaurant that has become a Valley institution.

“Gerry was the driving force behind the Big World’s (Pub) immediate success,” remarked John Egan. “He brings a fun and infectious energy that spills out of the kitchen and into the dining area. Plus, I know his love of sport and healthy living will translate into the next evolution of Timbers’ menu.”

Throughout his career, Nooney has worked with the New England Culinary Institute as both an instructor in fine dining and as mentor to the school’s students. It’s an experience he believes to be invaluable.

“You need a deep understanding of food to truly bring out its flavor,” remarked the 46-year old. “When you have that, you create dishes that people will come back again and again to enjoy.”

Nooney is completing teaching at NECI and will start work at Timbers in June.

Taking the helm as Food and Beverage Director, Chris Clements began his hospitality career with ARA Leisure Services, the company that owned Sugarbush in the early 80s. While with ARA, Clements was responsible for the food and beverage operations for Sugarbush, as well as two ARA resorts in Pennsylvania. He accepted a job with Marriott Management Services in 1988 and was charged with retooling and refining the hospitality and catering operations of such large-scale outfits as Ohio State University’s Concession division, University Of Michigan Athletics and the Stratton Mountain Ski Resort. He landed back at Sugarbush in 1994 as the Food Service Director, responsible for all on-mountain food service and golf course offerings. In 1997 he opened Clifford’s Catering and Bongiorno’s Restaurant in Fayston. Most recently, Clements served as Sodexho’s General Manager for the National Aquarium in Baltimore.

“We are really pleased that Chris and Gerry will be joining our team,” continued Smith. “To get professionals of their expertise and wealth of knowledge as well as their love of the Valley and knowledge of Sugarbush is key to the continuing improvement of the visitor experience at the resort and the success of the Food and Beverage unit.”

Nothing like that. I've known Gerry for a long time. When he left Egan's he told me he was just plain burnt out. Maybe running Timbers without the burden of ownership was appealing to him. I guess I sounded a little blunt inmy previous post

BushMogulMaster
05-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Nothing like that. I've known Gerry for a long time. When he left Egan's he told me he was just plain burnt out. Maybe running Timbers without the burden of ownership was appealing to him. I guess I sounded a little blunt inmy previous post

Thanks for the clarification. :D

From what I gather, he seems pretty excited to be doing this job. I expect great things from him, and am pleased to see him in that position. Between Chris and Gerry, I don't think you could find a better F&B team. Here's to the future of SB F&B!!! :D

Mike_451
05-14-2007, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the clarification. :D

From what I gather, he seems pretty excited to be doing this job. I expect great things from him, and am pleased to see him in that position. Between Chris and Gerry, I don't think you could find a better F&B team. Here's to the future of SB F&B!!! :D

I am glad they skipped out on trying to get another big name and went for local tallent.

8)

Strat
05-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Gerry was on the way out right when I started at Egan's... apparently he had planned to move to Arizona, but I guess his plans fizzled or something... cool that he's coming up to the bush...

Lostone
05-14-2007, 09:41 PM
They are barely giving us free water, do you think they are going to start handing out free cider :?

They've been giving out free hot cider for years. You have to be at the right place at the right time. :wink:
And it is a BIG hit! :D

And as for the free water, sometimes the usage outraces the ability of the people refilling it. However, if you just walk down the stairs, you'll find two water fountains. They have good water, and are always free. :wink:

Hot cider hand-outs are nice touch but keep it off the stairways as it can clog foot traffic. Oh, and I prefer my hot cider with a shot of good rum! :wink:

The reason it is usually given out at that place is it is the split on the stairs. If we go further down either route, people going the other way miss out.

And then there is the need for a place to set it up. A bench for sitting is way too low, while the railing on the stairs is quite good.

As to the rum, we suggest people bring their own... and some to share, for the rest of the class. :lol:

Oh yeah... and the word at the beginning of last season was that a clock would return for next season. :)

kcyanks1
05-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Hot cider hand-outs are nice touch but keep it off the stairways as it can clog foot traffic. Oh, and I prefer my hot cider with a shot of good rum! :wink:

The reason it is usually given out at that place is it is the split on the stairs. If we go further down either route, people going the other way miss out.

They used to give it out at the top of Super Bravo? Are they still doing that? I was only at SB in mid-April this year unfortunately (great conditions though!) so it's possible they just weren't doing it then because crowds were lower.

Lostone
05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
They haven't had cider at the top of the lifts for a few years, now, but a number of years ago, they were mostly at the top of Gatehouse, and sometimes Bravo.

I think they were totally done by April, this year. It is usually a winter thing. Hot cider after a cold day? :D

Makes a lot of people smile! 8)

win
05-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Gerry and his wife were going to move to Arizona, but when their son went to Iraq, they realized that home was in the MRV and they decided to stay here and that is when he went to NECI. When he heard about out opening at Timbers, he applied and the rest in history. We are thrilled that Gerry is returning to Sugarbush. And by the way, we will also continue to support Bernie and the great restaurant that he and Gerry started at Egan's. What we want is for the tide to rise and lift all!

Strat
05-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Gerry and his wife were going to move to Arizona, but when their son went to Iraq, they realized that home was in the MRV and they decided to stay here and that is when he went to NECI. When he heard about out opening at Timbers, he applied and the rest in history. We are thrilled that Gerry is returning to Sugarbush. And by the way, we will also continue to support Bernie and the great restaurant that he and Gerry started at Egan's. What we want is for the tide to rise and lift all!
Cheers to that!

Egan's could potentially use a nod then in the "Eat and Stay" section on Sugarbush.com, no?

8)

castlerock
05-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Egan's could potentially use a nod then in the "Eat and Stay" section on Sugarbush.com, no?

8)

So could a lot of other places....I'm thinking Egan's might not be first on the "in need of help from the mountain list"...