PDA

View Full Version : Cinco de Mayo

win
04-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Where was everyone today? It was cloudy and didn't rain. We had Bravo and Heaven's Gate running and the snow got soft and very skiiable. I thought that Stein's was trail of the day with good corn snow by mid-morning. Tomorrow we are planning on the same two lifts and 24 trails.

We have decided to have a Cinco de Mayo party next Saturday and to include skiing if possible. We have a sports car rally going in part of the paved parking lot Saturday and Sunday, we will plan on a BBQ outside of Castlerock Pub and a band in the afternoon. We are going to push around some snow this week to make every attempt to run the Valley House and ski Stein's next Saturday and Sunday. We may also be able to open the golf course, so there will be plenty to do here. The long range forecast is calling for a really nice warm and sunny weekend, so I hope to see a lot of you here for a final party on the snow.

shadyjay
04-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Where was I? Well, couldn't pull myself out of bed till 11, then I went to Barre, then to B-town. But... I'll be there tomorrow. Looking at the calendar compared to last year, my last day for 05/06 was 4/29, so this year my last day will be 4/29. Sweet!

I guess the REAL reason why I didn't get out was because of last weekend - I went FRI & SUN and it was great conditions, with LP still 100% open, the sun shining brightly, and I in my t-shirt. That was the ultimate end weekend, and it won't be beat again this year. Still, as I was driving around today, I was thinking that I have the next 6 months to drive around. So I'll be there tomorrow for one more day before putting it all away.

Lostone
04-28-2007, 09:14 PM
I hear you, Shady, on last weekend. That was the spring skiing weekend everyone thinks about when they think about spring skiing.

But, as was pointed out to me in another thread, we are running out of ski weekends. This one is not that one, but this one is is skiing, and pretty good skiing, as long as you realize these are real, late spring conditions. There are some interesting areas, out there. :lol:

Win, as for the road rally, to me that is a race-type event. Is that what you are planning, or is it more of a car show, thing? Sounds interesting.

And I thought there were a lot more people showing up in the afternoon, today. No real crowd, but toward the end of my time (~2:45) I'd ceased being alone on any trail on any run, with a bunch of small gaggles, here and there. :)

MikeTrainor
04-28-2007, 11:22 PM
I will not speak for others but the reason I was not there since the 3rd weekend in March, I thought it was going to be my last weekend of the season. we kept getting more snow and I kept of skiing every weekend for the last 5 weekends, my significant other requested I stay home this weekend. I had a great end of a season I put my skies away 3 times this year!

HowieT2
04-29-2007, 05:16 AM
I will not speak for others but the reason I was not there since the 3rd weekend in March, I thought it was going to be my last weekend of the season. we kept getting more snow and I kept of skiing every weekend for the last 5 weekends, my significant other requested I stay home this weekend. I had a great end of a season I put my skies away 3 times this year!

Here too. I had to get some work done at the homestead.

skiladi
04-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I was asked to dogsit. I had planned to come up but this dog is crate bound a good percent of the time and the owners are hoping I will fall in love and keep her. :roll: I did want to meet the dog and give her a good time for a change. She loves swimming in the pond and running in the woods. We call our property here in NH
" Dog Paradise ". But she has zero training so it's been some work for me but I am not sorry I made the sacrifice. I hope I will ski once or twice more this season. Thinking about a Tucks trip. But if not , it has been an awesome year. ; } P.S. Althea still hangin' in there.

win
04-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Here is info on next week's Car event in the parking lot:

The Green Mountain Piston Cup
Presented by the Sports Car Club of Vermont
May 5th and 6th, 2007
www.sccv.org

Top drivers from northeastern United States and Quebec will descend upon Sugarbush Resort in Warren Vermont on May 5th and 6th. They will be competing in the inaugural Green Mountain Piston Cup presented by the Sports Car Club of Vermont. The GMPC is a team autocross competition. Teams of 3 drivers will compete in two separate cars, in a precision driving contest. Open practice will begin at 10am on Saturday the 5th, with the final timed competition beginning at 10am on Sunday the 6th. Spectators are welcome, there is no admission fee to view the event.

Autocross is a form of motorsports that emphasizes safe, low-cost competition and active participation. An autocross is a timed competition where drivers navigate one at a time through a temporary course marked by traffic cones, rather than racing on a track with multiple other cars, as in road racing or oval racing. Autocross tends to place more emphasis on car handling and driver skill than on sheer horsepower, and events typically have many classes which allow almost any vehicle, from economy sedans to purpose-built vehicles, to compete. Speeds are slower in absolute terms when compared to other forms of motorsports, usually not exceeding highway speeds, but the activity level (measured in discrete turns per minute) can be higher than even Formula One due to the large number of elements packed into each course. Autocross courses are typically 40 to 70 seconds in length. In addition to being a national-level motorsport in its own right, autocrossing is a good way to learn skills that transfer to road racing, as drivers learn vehicle control and club ethics.

The Sports Car Club of Vermont is dedicated to providing entry level motorsports for its members in guests throughout New England. Some our club activities include, Autocross, Hillclimbs, TSD Rallies and Ice Time trials. If you would like to see our schedule of events, or learn how you can participate, please see our website at WWW.SCCV.ORG.
We hope to see you soon.

We will also have a disc golf challenge for all who show up! And, maybe a few mtn bikes to ride! You won't have to ski to have some fun, but I am hoping many will want to take some final runs down Stein's.

Treeskier
04-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Sugarbush styled again! Saturday it did not rain and there where lots of smiling faces. Spillsville skied the deepest corn I can remember and no rocks. Ripcord was fantastic! and Stiens...Yum! This moring Steins again skied great and the MT even groom all of SpringFling so you could lay out large GS turns. The band was nice. Thank for all the hard work and am looking forward to two more days next weekend!

smootharc
04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
.....moody, dramatic skies, great snow, familiar faces, and smiles all around. Even the fog/light mist turns of Sunday were great. As I headed to my car after an enjoyable morning in good company, a guy heading toward the lifts paused as I approached and asked me how it was....sort of like he might turn around. But I said "Great !" and he said "Really ?" and I said "Absolutely". I'm sure he was glad he kept on heading in the right direction.

Will be putting the punctuation point on the season this coming weekend, bringing the whole crew, and showing my little guys how to "finish up strong" !

See you then.

win
05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
The Detonators are playing this Saturday afternoon beginning at 2pm. It has been cold at night so the cover is holding up Ok. Maybe we can even winch Stein's which would make it sweet for the final two days. Golf is also a possiblity for the weekend if it stays dry. We'll know on Friday. The greens look great!

smootharc
05-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Golf is also a possiblity for the weekend if it stays dry. We'll know on Friday. The greens look great!

Now if I can just figure out how to get my (little round) whites onto those greens (the ones with holes and flags), and not the greens that look awfully similar to deep woods. :wink:

With all this skiing, I'm feeling it's gonna be an UGLY start to ball striking season, at least for this mediocre hack.

BushMogulMaster
05-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Maybe we can even winch Stein's which would make it sweet for the final two days.

No offense, Win, but if you winch all of Stein's, you can count me out. Spring skiing for me (and a lot of other people) includes big corn bumps. Because they're so forgiving, people who otherwise avoid bumps even find them an enjoyable challenge. Maybe a couple of passes on one side, but certainly not the whole trail. :(

win
05-02-2007, 07:05 PM
We'll see. Good point! But even if groomed it will bump up quickly and will ski better for more hours over the two days. Young knees are great. For some of us "old guys" after 109 days, we are looking for better snow starting at 10am and to preserve our bodies for another year! I bet you will be there regardless of what we do because you can't resist! Remember the old Frito Lay advertisement. "Bet you can't eat just one." I know you, and you can't resist skiing two last days! See you at 10am on Saturday!

BushMogulMaster
05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
We'll see. Good point! But even if groomed it will bump up quickly and will ski better for more hours over the two days. Young knees are great. For some of us "old guys" after 109 days, we are looking for better snow starting at 10am and to preserve our bodies for another year! I bet you will be there regardless of what we do because you can't resist! Remember the old Frito Lay advertisement. "Bet you can't eat just one." I know you, and you can't resist skiing two last days! See you at 10am on Saturday!

Ahh, you do know me too well. But remember... it's a short drive down to Superstar! :wink:

I'll settle for half and half grooming! See you on the hill!

By the way, Mt. Ellen skied GREAT today. :wink:

win
05-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Take a look at the cam before you make the drive and check out their grooming? too! See you Saturday! You looked good going going Stein's last weekend!

BushMogulMaster
05-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Take a look at the cam before you make the drive and check out their grooming? too! See you Saturday! You looked good going going Stein's last weekend!

Thanks... you didn't look half bad yourself :wink:

It will be a fun weekend. You know my loyalty is to the Bush. I'll be up there. I just hope you leave a few bump lines for me! Besides... I have to give skiladi some bump tips. :D

skiladi
05-02-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks... you didn't look half bad yourself :wink:

It will be a fun weekend. You know my loyalty is to the Bush. I'll be up there. I just hope you leave a few bump lines for me! Besides... I have to give skiladi some bump tips. :D

:P

Treeskier
05-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I personally hope that you do not groom Steins. The bumps are so nicely lined up and where skied by good skiers last weekend. If you have to groom then do two pass on the skier right and leave the rest. I personally would rather see grooming work else where so you can offer an alturnative. Is snowball all burned out or is there a way to patch together a sliver and then get to ski Springfling for the groomed run? Or patch together another way down so skiers have and adventure alturnative to Steins?

It takes till the end of seasons to get seasoned skiers to form even lined up bumps. I am sure the rain and sun have rounded them out nice like they did last weekend. Look how good Ripcord, Spillsville and Steins skied after the first ten people scraped off the weeks top 1/2 inch. The bumps where so nicely lined up in a row!

Detinators YES Dancing in the Plaza!

BushMogulMaster
05-02-2007, 09:26 PM
I personally hope that you do not groom Steins. The bumps are so nicely lined up and where skied by good skiers last weekend. If you have to groom then do two pass on the skier right and leave the rest. I personally would rather see grooming work else where so you can offer an alturnative. Is snowball all burned out or is there a way to patch together a sliver and then get to ski Springfling for the groomed run? Or patch together another way down so skiers have and adventure alturnative to Steins?

It takes till the end of seasons to get seasoned skiers to form even lined up bumps. I am sure the rain and sun have rounded them out nice like they did last weekend. Look how good Ripcord, Spillsville and Steins skied after the first ten people scraped off the weeks top 1/2 inch. The bumps where so nicely lined up in a row!

Detinators YES Dancing in the Plaza!

Well said.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read the "do two pass on the skier right" part.......... skier's right is where all the bare spots are! :lol:

Anyway, I agree. The bumps were amazing, and an alternative to grooming Stein's would be wonderful.

BushMogulMaster
05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
It takes till the end of seasons to get seasoned skiers to form even lined up bumps.

The reason for this is that it forces the good skiers onto one or two trails. That means they're all skiing the same thing, and thus forming decent bumps. You should have seen Cliffs the weekend of the Babic Mogul Logic camp. That was so much fun, and the lines were UNBELIEVABLE by the end of the day Saturday. You get the same effect on Stein's when everything else is closed (or is in bad shape).

This could be the best bump weekend of the season, assuming there are still bumps. I'll be up there zipper-lining as tight and fast as possible on my bump skis. See you there!

Of course, it's kind of ironic. I'll sit here and defend bumps to the bitter end, and on Saturday/Sunday, I'll be skiing Stein's in a PistenBully hat. :lol: Oh well...

Lostone
05-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm on the other side of this. When I heard Win say he might try to run Valley House for Stein's, I just decided there was no way I was going to warm up on a double diamond bump run.

No complaints. Questionable start of the season, but the super finish made it a great season. I simply put my skis up for the season. But if it is groomed... well, it isn't like I don't know where the aforementioned skis are. :wink:

Remember, good bump skiers can ski groomed, and as mentioned, when it is warm, bumps will be easy to remake. For those who aren't good bump skiers, you are cutting off the only terrain available.

Treeskier, what alternative route is there to Spring Fling, without Snowball?

Whichever way it is decided, like I said, I have no complaints about it. Great season! :D

win
05-03-2007, 05:46 AM
We'll assess the snow today and tomorrow and try to do the right thing to make it the best final two days possible for all who want to come out! With the car rally taking up Lots B and C, most will have to park across the Village road once Lot A fills up. That will allow all a little more stretching before the final runs of the year at The Bush. Roger Hill did say this morning " Big bubble (high pressure), no trouble", so the next several days are looking like cool night to preserve the snow and then high 50's and maybe 60's during the days.

:D

BushMogulMaster
05-03-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm on the other side of this. When I heard Win say he might try to run Valley House for Stein's, I just decided there was no way I was going to warm up on a double diamond bump run.

No complaints. Questionable start of the season, but the super finish made it a great season. I simply put my skis up for the season. But if it is groomed... well, it isn't like I don't know where the aforementioned skis are. :wink:

Remember, good bump skiers can ski groomed, and as mentioned, when it is warm, bumps will be easy to remake. For those who aren't good bump skiers, you are cutting off the only terrain available.

Treeskier, what alternative route is there to Spring Fling, without Snowball?

Whichever way it is decided, like I said, I have no complaints about it. Great season! :D

Completely understandable... there are definitely people who aren't interested in or can't ski bumps, and it always helps anyone to warm up before skiing bumps.

Which is why I like the idea of grooming half the trail. It's wide enough to groom half and have a nice warmup/carving area, while still holding plenty of good bump lines on the other side. It seems that this would please everyone and make the final weekend perfect for everyone who makes it out. What more could one ask for? :D

05-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Which is why I like the idea of grooming half the trail. It's wide enough to groom half and have a nice warmup/carving area, while still holding plenty of good bump lines on the other side. It seems that this would please everyone and make the final weekend perfect for everyone who makes it out. What more could one ask for? :D
This is what Killington did last night on Superstar:

http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10002/Superstar20070503b.jpg

http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10002/Superstar20070503a.jpg

skibum1321
05-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm making the trip up this weekend and I sure hope that there are still bumps on Stein's. I'm probably going to cry myself to sleep Saturday night if it's winched.

05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
My opinion is any double diamond trail in the spring should have big ole spring bumps on it. Sort of a spring passage. I guess I can accept a single groomer pass, but it sort of takes some of the soul out of it...

05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
http://news.alpinezone.com/16110/

One thing that struck me:

Weather permitting, Sugarbush plans to offer expert-only skiing and riding on Stein's Run on Saturday and Sunday.

Surly anyone who considered themself an "expert" can handle bumps, no? We've had this discussion on AZ:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/8100-do-bumps-make-man.html

Lostone
05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
I hear you, but when it is the only trail, that makes it rather exclusive for use, no? And when you cut out most of the people who might buy tickets... :roll:

But like I said, I have no complaints. If it is smoothed out, I'll drag out the boards again.

If not, I'll either stay inside and cry... or grab my camera and wander out and take some pix of the final party. :wink:

05-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I hear you, but when it is the only trail, that makes it rather exclusive for use, no? And when you cut out most of the people who might buy tickets... :roll:
I understand the business decision behind it. Interesting thread on the subject going on over on AZ:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/16111-half-grooming-bump-runs.html

skiladi
05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I've got an :idea: I'll snowboard down "rider's" right :!: Then any expert that does not like bumps will have a ribbon. Experts should be able to do a ribbon , no?
I'm comin' for the party! ; }

win
05-04-2007, 07:29 AM
I posted a response on Alpine Zone. We are going to try to get both Snowball and Spring Fling in shape for Saturday and Sunday and do a pass or two down Stein's leaving enough bumps for BogulMaster to enjoy! Hopefully the snow will set up well overnight tonight and tomorrow.

Lostone
05-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Sounds like fun for all, if you can do it. Snowball will be a challenge, but Spring Fling has lots of snow. :)

And with BMM happy... What more could you ask? :lol:

Looks like it is a good thing I kept a pair of skis in reserve... just in case. :D

BushMogulMaster
05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
:lol:

Thank you, Win. I owe you one. Maybe I can repay you with some free bump lessons :wink: :lol:

See you on the hill. It's gonna be a great last weekend! :D

skiladi
05-04-2007, 04:40 PM
:lol:

Thank you, Win. I owe you one. Maybe I can repay you with some free bump lessons :wink: :lol:

See you on the hill. It's gonna be a great last weekend! :D

Win may have to take my place. :( I twisted my ankle on Thursday. I will still be there and looking forward to meeting you but until I put the boot on and "try" it out the ankle is in question.

BushMogulMaster
05-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Win may have to take my place. :( I twisted my ankle on Thursday. I will still be there and looking forward to meeting you but until I put the boot on and "try" it out the ankle is in question.

Sorry to hear about the ankle! That's a bummer right before the last lift-served weekend :( .

Oh well. There's always next year. See ya tomorrow.

Windshield Ski Bum
05-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Regretably I cannot make the last weekend to pound the bumps on Stiens, but I have some food for thought about why some otherwise excellent skiers struggle in the bumps.

My daughter Abby figured this out. She thinks that you need te ability to see and think in three dimensions in order to pick a good line. All of you great bump skiers probably have the God given gift of seeing the world in three dimensions, and therefore, you have no trouble choosing your line. This talent is not universal, and there are more people who don't have it than do. You can tell you have it. You learn knots easily, can build models from scratch, and enjoy figuring out how things work.

This theory might also explain why there are so many pick up trucks with ladder racks on them on any given powder day at MRG. Carpenters, engineers, draftsmen, taylors, equiptment operators, etc are all three dimensional trades.

This theory also explains why some otherwise excellent skiers, with great strength and form, strugle in the moguls. I have known many awsome racers who simply hate the bumps. Perhaps they just cannot see the line.

Lostone
05-05-2007, 08:28 AM
The party gets underway today when the Valley House double chair starts spinning at 10 AM. Our operations team worked their magic overnight and we have four trails open today for your skiing and riding pleasure: Coffee Run, Spring Fling, Snowball, and Stein's Run. The groomers made two passes down Stein's so if you're looking to claim a double-black diamond, you now have a smooth way down. The other three trails were groomed as well. In any case, conditions will be for advanced and experts, the sun is already shining and we are skiing and riding in May!

The Valley House will be running from 10 to 4 both today and tomorrow and a $25 lift ticket gets you on the hill for the entire weekend.

Time to get out there! One last blast! :D

BushMogulMaster
05-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I will still be there and looking forward to meeting you but until I put the boot on and "try" it out the ankle is in question.

It was a pleasure meeting you and hittin the bumps on Stein's with you today, Pam! We'll have to do it again. Hopefully you picked up a think or two as my first mogul student! :D

win
05-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the drink! I will be AWOL tomorrow as will Hardy and Bob as we are on our way to the NSAA convention at La Quinta, Ca. Did you ever wonder why the Ski Association holds its annual convention far away from a ski resort? It will be fun at tomorrow's opening cocktail party when the Western Resorts ask us "when did you close this year?" "Close?" we will ask. Thank you all for coming out today and thanks for your passion and support this year. It was a fun last 110th day for me today. Tomorrow should we a great one, and I hope you all have a terrific last "lift" day of skiing the Bush. When you finally put your skis and boards away, remember that there will be a lot of fun things to do at The Bush this summer!

BushMogulMaster
05-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the drink! I will be AWOL tomorrow as will Hardy and Bob as we are on our way to the NSAA convention at La Quinta, Ca. Did you ever wonder why the Ski Association holds its annual convention far away from a ski resort? It will be fun at tomorrow's opening cocktail party when the Western Resorts ask us "when did you close this year?" "Close?" we will ask. Thank you all for coming out today and thanks for your passion and support this year. It was a fun last 110th day for me today. Tomorrow should we a great one, and I hope you all have a terrific last "lift" day of skiing the Bush. When you finally put your skis and boards away, remember that there will be a lot of fun things to do at The Bush this summer!

Thanks for a fantastic season, Win. Everything has worked out quite well. Your commitment and dedication is obvious, and I think I speak for everyone when I say great job, and thank you!

It was nice skiing with you today and chatting on the lift.

Have fun at the NSAA convention. I must admit, after looking at the resort and details on the NSAA site, I'm jealous! Enjoy. Tell Hardy and Bob I said thanks for a great season as well.

HowieT2
05-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the best ski season of my life. Hope over the summer you can share with us what the thinking is for next season and the development planned for the summer thereafter.

Lostone
05-05-2007, 08:59 PM
We'll try to finish the season out with style for you. :wink:

Another super day today, and looking forward to another tomorrow. Smiles on everyone's faces. Terrific job by the crew, getting things ready. One heck of a job reworking Snowball, and the masses on Spring Fling certainly appreciated it! :D

Have a great time at the conference. I'd like to see their faces when they talk about when everyone closed, and you look at your watch to tell them how many hours ago, or if it is earlier, you say how many hours away. :lol:

skibum1321
05-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Awesome weekend of skiing. Nice soft bumps, bright blue skies and skiing in a t-shirt. Can't beat it. I sure am sore today though.

Great job out there

skiladi
05-07-2007, 09:27 AM
:worthless:

Thanks Win & Co. for an awesome season.
BMM , great skiing with you. Look for me in the next Meathead flick. :D

05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
:worthless:

I agree!

atkinson
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/lastchair2007.jpg

Last chair of 2007 was Scotty Murray. Hard to believe, huh?

Thanks everyone!

John

skibum1321
05-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Did anyone else see those crazies skiing down the Mall? There were probably 2 patches of snow that added up to 100 feet on the entire trail.

Sorry, no pics from me. I skied alone and hate asking people to take my pic (and I forgot my camera so no scenery pics).