PDA

View Full Version : LP Mountain Biking

smootharc
04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I know, I know....the lifts are still spinning for skiing, but I am curious.....specifically about the trail aspects of this "coming attraction".

A mountain biking "trail map" would be good. I couldn't tell you where the Wicked Witch of the East was, so I'm curious.

Another thought is for SB to try to have a good amount of family friendly "easy riding" stuff for folks with younger kids to enjoy the MB scene, but without excessive challenges that can turn fun into fear.

http://www.sugarbush.com/funandevents/cm.asp?pn=mountainbiking&pid=229

Anyways, I'm sure the folks developing/redeveloping the MB program are as psyched as I am.

Now if Warren's powers that be could only extend that nice woods trail (built last summer from Warren House on up to the LP Base "four corners")....on down the access road further. Not much fun walking/biking with little ones anywhere near the access road....from a safety/peace of mind aspect. We'll probably drive on up with bikes if in family mode, though we're close.

Looking forward, when the Sneaux is gone, to getting muddy.

HowieT2
04-25-2007, 04:42 PM
I know, I know....the lifts are still spinning for skiing, but I am curious.....specifically about the trail aspects of this "coming attraction".

A mountain biking "trail map" would be good. I couldn't tell you where the Wicked Witch of the East was, so I'm curious.

Another thought is for SB to try to have a good amount of family friendly "easy riding" stuff for folks with younger kids to enjoy the MB scene, but without excessive challenges that can turn fun into fear.

http://www.sugarbush.com/funandevents/cm.asp?pn=mountainbiking&pid=229

Anyways, I'm sure the folks developing/redeveloping the MB program are as psyched as I am.

Now if Warren's powers that be could only extend that nice woods trail (built last summer from Warren House on up to the LP Base "four corners")....on down the access road further. Not much fun walking/biking with little ones anywhere near the access road....from a safety/peace of mind aspect. We'll probably drive on up with bikes if in family mode, though we're close.

Looking forward, when the Sneaux is gone, to getting muddy.

I'm psyched about this as well. While I can do without the lift up, my 10 year old will certainly enjoy it. I just hope they have the C-Rock pub open with the grill going outside.

Strat
04-25-2007, 06:49 PM
I've seen some of the single track through the woods towards the bottom of Valley House (between the bottom of Stein's, Coffee Run, The Mall), and there's also a chunk between the bottom of Hot Shot and the bottom of Sleeper... it's definitely sort of out there but obviously hasn't been maintained in a while...

I gotta think that the clearing of some Bike trails will offer some wintry forest opportunities as well (albeit narrow ones)

Lostone
04-25-2007, 07:38 PM
I haven't seen any info on what they are planning, this year, as for routes. I know what they had the last time they did it.

At the bottom, the trails Strat mentioned have been grown in, and some blowdown, but would probably be the easiest to recover. They were fairly tough, but I don't remember anything extreme.

Off the lift they ran across the traverse to Snowball, or down Jester, and either to the bottom, or across Castlerock Connection and down Gatehouse by either Hot Shot to Sleeper Road, or Pushover.

atkinson
04-26-2007, 07:18 AM
We are working on a map. And I may be able to post a preliminary one soon. Patience Jay.

The trails at the mountain are going to be the ones we previously had, reawakened and refreshed with free-ride jumps and stunts. The singletrack is mainly on the Valley House side, in between Mall, Moonshine, SF and Snowball, with a couple of routes off Sleeper and Hotshot. There's the old downhill trail through Eden, too. We'll use Snowball, Jester, RT and a few other ski trails, but I am hoping to add berms, jumps, stunts and extra flow to these wider routes. There'll be a bike park/ dirt jump area down in the base on Gondolier. I am also pushing for a learner's area, with mellow stunts and progressive fun near here.

I'll be posting updates as the snow melts and we get into the woods to start raking and shoveling. And the Mad River Riders need help building and maintaining the routes that are off-mountain. Please join and volunteer, www.madriverriders.com. We have some awesome new projects approved and great older trails to keep in sweet shape.

Stay tuned for more info.

John

smootharc
04-26-2007, 08:12 AM
We are working on a map. And I may be able to post a preliminary one soon. Patience Jay.

Patience is my virtue...I mean vice...I mean....do I have patience ? I need pills, shots, and therapy....stat !

The whole summertime thing at LP base is exciting to contemplate.

Glad to hear the little ones and weekend "faux-warriors" will have some trails / terrain that's challenge appropriate. Looks like mommy and daddy are gonna have to buy bikes for the boy's upcoming birthdays. They'll have a lot more fun riding those than playing with a US Savings Bond....

ski_resort_observer
04-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Looks like mommy and daddy are gonna have to buy bikes for the boy's upcoming birthdays. They'll have a lot more fun riding those than playing with a US Savings Bond....

As a parent with a garage full of sports equipment the kids said they wanted but ended up only being used a couple of times there will be a fleet of nice bikes to rent if you want the kids to try before you buy. I believe the ski valet building in front of Claybrook will be the rental shop. It's awesome that there will be activity at the base this summer. Don't forget about the new disc golf courses as another activity the kids might enjoy.

atkinson
04-30-2007, 03:07 PM
There is still a ton of snow, but biking season is already getting going.

Here are some shots from last year.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/lukeBaldMt1sm.jpg
Luke I., Wilder Farm Inn owner and world-renowned clay pot thrower, in the Motor City.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/lukeblur1a.jpg
Same guy, same town, different place.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/petehiplumbridgesm.jpg
Pete C., master tiler and chef, on HPC in Warren.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/johnemeraldrocksm.jpg
A rare shot of me riding. Love the fish rock.

John

Strat
04-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Great shots John, as usual. What kind of lens is used for that trippy effect?

BushMogulMaster
04-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Great shots John, as usual. What kind of lens is used for that trippy effect?

That's the new Kodak Atkinson lens. Haven't you seen them before? :wink:

Lostone
04-30-2007, 08:03 PM
I used to have bike rides like that in the mid 70s. :lol:

atkinson
05-01-2007, 05:35 AM
No special lens or Photoshop effect. I was running backwards down the trail as Luke came towards me. Low light situation, so it was with a slower shutter speed.

John

Strat
05-01-2007, 06:16 AM
No special lens or Photoshop effect. I was running backwards down the trail as Luke came towards me. Low light situation, so it was with a slower shutter speed.

John

Wow, great shot considering those conditions then.

Ohh I cannot wait until the dirt roads look like that...

8)

skibum1321
05-01-2007, 06:46 AM
It seems like most trails would still be too muddy to ride. Not to get on a soapbox, but riding muddy trails is just about the worst thing to do as a mountain biker, as it erodes trails and puts future access into question.

I know that FOTW hasn't opened any of their trails yet, but unfortunately people tend to ignore official openings.

I have actually been out on the mtn bike once this year, but I'm in Mass so the trails are always drier much earlier. Other than that, it's been all road biking so far this year.

Those are some great shots too - nice work - it's always tough to get good pics when biking.

atkinson
05-01-2007, 07:27 AM
I hope no one mis-construed my enthusiasm for an open invitation to go ride the trails. There is only one small area in the Valley that is even close to being dry enough and everything needs work before we ride. The dirt roads do look like that right now, at least the surface does. We had more mud season in January than we did in April. In a few days, the leaves will start popping in earnest too.

Biking season begins for me when the roads are clear of snow and the dirt roads frost out. At that point, we also can start working on the trails and looking for proper trail riding conditions to develop from low elevations on up.

Trail work days are being scheduled ... riding is happening ... stick to the roads for now ... stay tuned for more information ... please join and support the Mad River Riders (http://www.madriverriders.com)!

John

ski_resort_observer
05-01-2007, 11:27 AM
It seems like most trails would still be too muddy to ride. Not to get on a soapbox, but riding muddy trails is just about the worst thing to do as a mountain biker, as it erodes trails and puts future access into question.

I know that FOTW hasn't opened any of their trails yet, but unfortunately people tend to ignore official openings.

I have actually been out on the mtn bike once this year, but I'm in Mass so the trails are always drier much earlier. Other than that, it's been all road biking so far this year.

Those are some great shots too - nice work - it's always tough to get good pics when biking.

You are 1000% correct. The AMC and the GMC have put out their yearly requests asking people to stay off the trails until they dry up. All trails on Vermont state lands(state parks and forests) are closed until Memorial Day weekend.

atkinson
05-02-2007, 08:29 AM
That is not entirely true about the May 30th date for State lands, nor is it true that trails don't dry out until then.

First, VMBA trails on State land can open as soon as they are dry, which may be very soon for some of these trails. Check the individual chapter sites for more info, www.vmba.org. GMC and AMC routes generally are high elevation and take a lot longer to dry. Many of them are still snow covered at this point, while low elevation trails have been snow-free for a few weeks at least.

Secondly, I just got an email from somebody in Rutland saying that the Pine Hill trails are already open and rolling dry and fast. The lower elevations that drain well are often good by the beginning of May.

I'm going out in the next few days to check on some stuff in Moretown, which according to good sources, is very dry on the upper trails already. Work has been done in Dennyland and the Eurich Pond areas, parts of which are starting to get good too.

More info to come.

John

ski_resort_observer
05-02-2007, 07:25 PM
That is not entirely true about the May 30th date for State lands, nor is it true that trails don't dry out until then.

First, VMBA trails on State land can open as soon as they are dry, which may be very soon for some of these trails. Check the individual chapter sites for more info, www.vmba.org. GMC and AMC routes generally are high elevation and take a lot longer to dry. Many of them are still snow covered at this point, while low elevation trails have been snow-free for a few weeks at least.

Secondly, I just got an email from somebody in Rutland saying that the Pine Hill trails are already open and rolling dry and fast. The lower elevations that drain well are often good by the beginning of May.

I'm going out in the next few days to check on some stuff in Moretown, which according to good sources, is very dry on the upper trails already. Work has been done in Dennyland and the Eurich Pond areas, parts of which are starting to get good too.

More info to come.

John

Just passing along what was reported on WCAX news last week. There are yellow signs at the trailheads stating this rule. Assume there are exceptions tho, especially those at low elevation. From the Vermont DEC website:

"The State of Vermont closes all trails on state land including those on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield from mid-April until Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas. * Also avoid: Stratton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak."

The main point is that they want hikers to stay off trails until they dry out.

Lostone
05-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Wonder if they'll open those peak trails on Memorial Day, this year. They don't need to dry out. They're buried! :shock:

atkinson
05-03-2007, 08:08 AM
My ride last night with Mr. Murray was awesome and very dry. In fact my bike came home cleaner than when it left. The trails need some raking to de-stick them and make them more defined and easier to follow, but everything we rode was already bone dry. The wildflowers are starting to happen too. Trilliums and bluebells were a nice fresh addition to the fun.

I also spoke with Jed Carini last night, who has been out scouting the new lines in the Howe Block, Camel's Hump State Forest. Things are still pretty damp in alot of places here, but draining well. There is still some lingering snow at this elevation too.

Today, we are building some free-ride features for a demo this weekend. I'm hoping we have enough wood for a teeter-totter, a couple of bridges, a wall ride, and some ramps and transitions. There'll be a few of the Valley's best riders around too, including Tom Knox. There's a picture of him jumping a van in the Stark Mountain Bike Shop, if you want to see a preview of his skills.

Hope to see you all soon!

John

skibum1321
05-04-2007, 06:35 AM
The bike that they are touting as a cross-country bike on the website definitely does not look very suited to climbing to me. The Iron Horse Warrior is what they say is the cross country bike and the picture on the website shows that it has a coil shock for its rear suspension. I've never seen a bike with a coil that is efficient enough for cross country...

freeheel_skier
05-04-2007, 08:06 AM
I ride a XC with a coil suspension....very efficient imho!

HowieT2
05-04-2007, 08:11 AM
The bike that they are touting as a cross-country bike on the website definitely does not look very suited to climbing to me. The Iron Horse Warrior is what they say is the cross country bike and the picture on the website shows that it has a coil shock for its rear suspension. I've never seen a bike with a coil that is efficient enough for cross country...

Where did this come from?

Anyway, I ended up getting a different bike but I looked into getting the IH warrior and it is a CC bike. Rides great too.

skibum1321
05-04-2007, 10:15 AM

Where did this come from?
http://www.sugarbush.com/summersports/cm.asp?pn=bikerentals&pid=230&nid=229

Also, on the mountain biking page, it doesn't list anything about trail access (if I just wanted to ride without taking the lift). Is there a trail from the base that you could ride up or is it all lift accessed? And if so, are they going to charge for access to it?

atkinson
05-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Saturday was mountain bike demo day at Lincoln Peak. Many thanks to Tom Knox, Tom Murray, Will Hansen, Jessie Story, John Egan, Laura Worthen and Commander Hammond.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/tomKnox1-050707.jpg
Tom Knox dropping into Lincoln Peak.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/TomKnox-SBteeter1-050707sm.jpg
Over the teeter-totter.

Much more to come. Stay tuned.

John

djspookman
05-07-2007, 03:10 PM
i love the teeter.. yet another GREAT use for TJI's! That is a tad larger than my teeter at home!

looking forward to testing out the park this summer!

dave

Mike_451
05-09-2007, 12:19 AM
i love the teeter.. yet another GREAT use for TJI's! That is a tad larger than my teeter at home!

dave

As long as the OSB doesn't delaminate :lol:

djspookman
05-09-2007, 06:15 AM

dave

As long as the OSB doesn't delaminate :lol:

true, but that will be a few years anyway

dave

Strat
05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Finally found this old map I was looking for... saw it a few years ago but it's pretty unclear so I kinda dismissed it... looks like the image was shrunk or compressed or something... worth a look now though...

http://www.central-vt.com/region/images/hikemap.jpg

djspookman
05-09-2007, 10:56 AM
nice find strat!

dave

atkinson
05-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Check out the new pictures at www.sugarbush.com. Sandy and I went out on Friday and got some good shots from the Eurich Pond area on Guyer's Trail. The new map will include these trails over to Tucker Hill Rd. and the trails in Camel's Hump SF, so you can easily ride all the way to Waistfield from the mountain. Imagine starting at the top of Super Bravo and flowing over nearly 3000' vertical to the Valley floor.

In related news, the much anticipated extension of the Cyclone is done! While I am still looking to get it all the way to 17 or 100 at some point, we eliminated about half length that you used to have do on Dana Hill. There are two cool stream crossings, some nice berms that we will continue to develop and a really cool exit onto Dana Hill made entirely of rock. It's a sweet roll-down, just make sure to commit.

More to come!

John

Mike_451
05-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Awsome

Strat
05-15-2007, 12:00 PM
So what kind of map are we looking at John? Overlays on a topo or aerial photo, some sort of adaptation of the regular trail map, or something completely different? I bet Jim Niehues could cook up something incredible...

Tin Woodsman
05-15-2007, 12:32 PM
So what kind of map are we looking at John? Overlays on a topo or aerial photo, some sort of adaptation of the regular trail map, or something completely different? I bet Jim Niehues could cook up something incredible...

...for a hefty ransom.

Strat
05-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Well of course, the man has to make a living, and it's not often that resorts design completely new trail systems...

He did already do this one for who knows what commission... we've never seen it in use on any marketing tools or anything...

http://jamesniehues.com/images_preview_other/Sugarbush-VT.jpg

BushMogulMaster
05-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Well of course, the man has to make a living, and it's not often that resorts design completely new trail systems...

He did already do this one for who knows what commission... we've never seen it in use on any marketing tools or anything...

http://jamesniehues.com/images_preview_other/Sugarbush-VT.jpg

That image was done for ASC... note the tennis courts at the inn and at the pavilion that no longer exist.

Strat
05-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Ah that makes sense...