PDA

View Full Version : All I have to say is ...

atkinson
04-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Wow!

Just got CR to Liftline to the absolute bottom, totally covered. The drift formations from last weekend's storms were really cool; fins, spines and quarter pipes. Then I went for a Birdland/ Lower Birdland combo, with the rocky right side line thrown in. I almost never ski that edge, but it was just beautiful.

If you have any doubts about how good it is, put them aside. Drop the putter, turn off the mower, bring your skis or board and get up here!

John

p.s. You may want to bring your bike too. The dirt roads are pretty dry already and the pavement is fine. I went for a ride last evening and got my first double sport day of the spring. (I was out yesterday teaching some kids to snowboard, too.) The sun was setting as I started down Howes Rd. and around down the Common Rd., then back up the Mountain Rd. Absolutely gorgeous.

Every time I come down Howes Rd., I have one of those glory of creation moments. The Valley and all the ski areas fill the southern horizon, Camel's Hump is centered in the west, while Mansfield and the Cold Hollow and Northfield Mtns are to the north. Plus the fields and general idyllicness of the whole thing. And that's just one of the primo spots to ride in the MRV.

win
04-20-2007, 03:51 PM
I can't hold off! A couple of trivia facts. This day last year we had 11 trails open at ME and were downloading. This year at LP we have 100% of its 72 trails open. Looking at the stats that we have going back to 1970 the latest The Rock was open before this year was 4/15. Today, all of The Rock skied beautifully. Hardy and I came down Middle Earth and Castle Rock Run to Bail out between 2:30pm and 3pm, and there was only one word - AWESOME. We then did my favorite trail - Paradise - Awesome as well. We had a good crowd out today, and they skied everything in well. I anticipate that the clear night will allow temperatures to fall and the snow to set up really well overnight and that tomorrow is going to be a special day. Personally, I plan to be out first thing and ski until the lifts close. We are grooming both Birch and Sunrise if it sets up enough, so those two trails will be wonderful in the early morning sun. We are also grooming the flats of Upper Organgrinder to allow that to ski and ride well in the am. The other normal suspects will be groomed, and the ungroomed should turn to corn early. My biggest challenge today was finding a band to play outside of Castlerock Pub in the afternoon. Everyone seems to be on vacation. Can you beleive that? We are still trying but may have to call upon some of you to Jam. Forget whatever else you may have planned and get out to the slopes early. The next two days will be two of the best Spring skiing and riding days you will ever have. That's a guarantee! Next weekend is looking good as well. And, a Cinco de Mayo would be great as well if conditions hold!

notorious
04-20-2007, 04:03 PM
You are da man. Rock on!

kcyanks1
04-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I can't hold off! A couple of trivia facts. This day last year we had 11 trails open at ME and were downloading. This year at LP we have 100% of its 72 trails open. Looking at the stats that we have going back to 1970 the latest The Rock was open before this year was 4/15. Today, all of The Rock skied beautifully.

Wow! How late was The Rock open in 2001? I'd figure there may have been enough snow, but perhaps operations had moved to ME. I think MRG made it to May 1st that year.

Strat
04-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Cool stats Win! Care to donate some of that historical data to Sugarbushhistory.com? Sounds like it would be a great addition to the site...

8)

Mike_451
04-21-2007, 09:26 PM
The spring skiing now is better than the spring skiing was in March, or the beginning of April for that matter. Back in March, things weren't really softening up much at the top, and now everything is all out corn whith mid winter cover 8)

shadyjay
04-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Was out on Friday and it was great - still unbelievable. Good coverage just about everywhere - a couple spots had some thinnies, but nothing major. Nothing like last season in February. There were no liftlines at all - a great day. Only crowds were at the Pub. Took off Sat, but I'm hitting it Sunday. Should be fun - breakin out a t-shirt and sunglasses.

skiladi
04-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Glad to see Win is posting again. I skied the bush Friday also and it was great.
Well , if Win can go to K-mart so can I. I met up with some friends there Sat.
and while it was crowded at KBL and the lots were full the slopes were fairly "serene".
The folks seemed to be pretty spread out and I was on the most challenging terrain for the most part. Everyone was smiling and I only got pushed around a couple of times. :roll:
I didn't spend a dime and got a nice pink glow! Happy Earth Day! :mrgreen: