PDA

View Full Version : MRV has become a retirement community

TOS
04-09-2007, 05:40 PM
I have been skiing in the MRV for over a decade. There is one thing that strikes me about the MRV compared to other ski towns,
is the lack of young adults. There are so few 20 to 35 year olds, it is depressing.
Going to the local watering holes after a day of skiing is like attending an AARP meetings.

The VT State Ski Bum Championships adds credence to my observation. Every team had to have 8 racers, two of those racers had to be over 50 years old.
That is what every team brought, except Sugarbush. The Sugarbush team had 7 racers over the age of 50.

I feel like I am in a dying town when I am in the valley. MRV residents need to figure out how to make the area more attractive to younger people.
Young adults bring a vitality that the valley is sorely lacking. If you think I am wrong, spend sometime in Stowe or Killington. Go out west.

I don't know what was done to drive all the young adults out of the valley, but you need to get them back.

Strat
04-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Lack of jobs?

Mike_451
04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Only work around is pounding nails or washing dishes :roll:

djspookman
04-10-2007, 05:14 AM
jobs and affordable housing would do that... that's why we moved. We didn't want to, but it Sucks trying to pay for 2 college degrees, a car payment, and try to buy a house. As it was, we had a shoebox of an apartment because the rent was too high everywhere else in the valley. But, that is the problem with Vermont in general! Tax everyone too much, and the younger generation (like me) moves out of state where its cheaper and has jobs that actually pay so we can enjoy skiing. Downside of that of couse is a 2.5 hour drive to the mountian for us, compared to the 2.5 mile drive I had before.. ugh. I really wish I could afford to move back!

Dave

nelsapbm
04-10-2007, 07:46 AM
The State as a whole is turning into one big retirement state. I believe Vermont has the lowest birth rate of any other state. So yes, this a problem. Younger folks can't afford to stay here anymore. We're lucky in that both my boyfriend and I have good jobs and are able to stay here.

TOS
04-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't disagree with anything anyone has written, but why is the MR Valley crowd older then other VT ski towns?

Plowboy
04-10-2007, 09:04 AM
The State as a whole is turning into one big retirement state.

For the wealthy AARP's. From what I hear on the Mark Johnson Show(WDEV) there are a lot of AARP's on fixed incomes that are being forced to move due to high taxes.

Plowboy
04-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't disagree with anything anyone has written, but why is the MR Valley crowd older then other VT ski towns?

Some or most have been here for awile and like it so much they stay. The :?: is will we be able to afford to stay.

As for the 20 to 35 yr old's, there is a shortage of nightlife here compared to some other Vt ski towns.

ski_resort_observer
04-10-2007, 03:12 PM
I have been skiing in the MRV for over a decade. There is one thing that strikes me about the MRV compared to other ski towns,
is the lack of young adults. There are so few 20 to 35 year olds, it is depressing.
Going to the local watering holes after a day of skiing is like attending an AARP meetings.

The VT State Ski Bum Championships adds credence to my observation. Every team had to have 8 racers, two of those racers had to be over 50 years old.
That is what every team brought, except Sugarbush. The Sugarbush team had 7 racers over the age of 50.

I feel like I am in a dying town when I am in the valley. MRV residents need to figure out how to make the area more attractive to younger people.
Young adults bring a vitality that the valley is sorely lacking. If you think I am wrong, spend sometime in Stowe or Killington. Go out west.

I don't know what was done to drive all the young adults out of the valley, but you need to get them back.

As Plow mentioned the MRV doesn't have the nightlife that kmart has so people who are interested in hitting a variety of bars after skiing are going to go to there. Personally I am not interested in being like Stowe or kmart, I find that a big plus living here. Stowe is a mess on weekends, even in the summer. Kmart has more traffic lights on their access road than the entire valley has. I would like to see some actual demographics but irregardless I like the valley the way it is.

Regarding business growth the valley has definately been pretty stagnant but I am optomistic that will be changing in the near future. In the last few years we have lost some good businesses like Mad River Canoe and Northern Power, to name a couple so lack of good jobs definately plays a part. While alot of ski towns work hard on attracting non polluting companies it seems the MRV is not doing much. Small Dog Electronics wanted to grow their business in the valley but the powers that be shut them down on that.

So I guess it's lack of nightlife and lack of decent paying non-tourist yearround jobs is the basic answer to your question. Alot of folks live here and travel to Montpelier, Burlington and even Stowe for work. I guess the valley is sorta like a retirement/bedroom community but I don't see much interest in changing that.

I do think alot of other ski towns suffer the same thing. The Bush is not the only resort in Vermont or the country for that matter that has to import workers from South America/Europe and Asia in order to meet the labor demands of each ski season. In the early 70's Aspen made national news about the labor shortage they had and was forced to import thousands to fill the jobs they had. In the 80's Jackson Hole had to do the same thing and interestingly has an ever growing Hispanic community to meet the continued demand for service workers.

Lack of good paying jobs and affordable housing equals lack of workers is a song played out at resort towns all across the country.

random_ski_guy
04-10-2007, 10:57 PM
I believe Vermont has the lowest birth rate of any other state.

You got me curious about birth rate statistics by state, so I found this link. Looks like you were right. Clearly all of New England is at the bottom of the birth rate table with VT and ME owning the very bottom.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763849.html

Moving back to the subject at hand, I agree the MRV has a significant lack of 20-35 year olds. But I think that is a common problem across much of the non urbanized northeast. Heck, whenever I go into Manhattan from lower CT I'm blown away by the number of like aged people. Everywhere you go, offices, sidewalks, stores and bars full of 20 and 30 year olds. Here in lower CT my age group is thin, but present. When I visit VT or other rural areas (or even my hometown in upstate NY) it’s almost completely absence, extinct. For the most part I'm so accustom to it that I don't give it any thought when I'm in these places.

All and all, despite the lack of like age folks, it doesn't deter me from preferring the MRV over other VT destinations. It’s not a factor at all in chosing a ski destination. Looks like I'm close to alone on this relative to my age cohort though. I don't think there are many easy things to be done to stem the tide. Youth is fickle.

smootharc
04-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Moving back to the subject at hand, I agree the MRV has a significant lack of 20-35 year olds.

....I'm 44. And 44 is the new 32. With my ripped 8-pack abs, and a bit of this.....

http://www.justformen.com/home.shtml

......I've had to run in the parking lot, holding up my hand with my wedding band, to escape roving packs of interested ski bunnies.

What valley are you guys talking about ? Sheesh ! :lol:

freeheel_skier
04-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Moving back to the subject at hand, I agree the MRV has a significant lack of 20-35 year olds.

....I'm 44. And 44 is the new 32. With my ripped 8-pack abs, and a bit of this.....

......I've had to run in the parking lot, holding up my hand with my wedding band, to escape roving packs of interested ski bunnies.

Cougars RULE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yard Sale
04-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Cougars RULE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget about the Snow Panther. :lol:

sugarboarder
04-12-2007, 10:31 PM

That's easy - it's the general distatste for snowboarding and snowboarders, as well as the new style free-skiers...it's MUCH more fun elsewhere...they got what they wanted. :lol: