PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch a blurb in Skiing Magazine about this winter?

shadyjay
04-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I had to laugh big time when I was glancing through SKIING magazine (I got it for free, I think from the company formerly known as ASC)... I think it was the March/April issue and there was a one-page article about the "winter that wasn't" on the East coast this season. It says that the westerners were pouring Colt 45 on the snow for us since we're suffering from lack of snow. Now I don't know when the March/April issue had to "go to press", but I expect a retract of the article in the next issue. And those westerners are probably gonna want their Colt45 back. Too bad, we can't find it, its buried under the snow since mid/late Jan :)

Mike_451
04-09-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't care how suckey December and Junuary was but this winter has been beyond epic 8)

MikeTrainor
04-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I have to agree I had a great season. I would put this with 2000-2001 and 1995-1996. From MLK on I have just had great day after great day, this is one I will remember.

Tin Woodsman
04-10-2007, 10:10 AM
I think one of the key things is that the love has been spread out for both locals and weekenders. So many epic days for so many constituencies. Also, not going above freezing from January 15 to about March 15 certainly helped keep the snowpack in great condition for all comers.

Will I put this up with 2000-2001? Not likely. We never did get to ski on the old portion of Sunrise on the top skiers' right b/c the snow was deep enough to rise above those pines, but just about everything else was in play.

atkinson
04-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Now Tinnie,

Those trees have had six more years of growth since 2000-2001. How can you compare? I'd say it was at least as deep at certain points. We measured over 8 feet of settled base in the woods on the ridge this year.

Anyway, who cares. It's another powder day. And my favorite forecaster just logged a prediction for 8-16" by Saturday morning, starting tomorrow night.

Come and get it!

John

Tin Woodsman
04-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Now Tinnie,

Those trees have had six more years of growth since 2000-2001. How can you compare? I'd say it was at least as deep at certain points. We measured over 8 feet of settled base in the woods on the ridge this year.

Anyway, who cares. It's another powder day. And my favorite forecaster just logged a prediction for 8-16" by Saturday morning, starting tomorrow night.

Come and get it!

John

Fair enough. I do recall that getting out to the Church wasn't quite as tough as in 2000-2001 - didn't have to belly surf on the skis this year to get under the branches, but it was close. Regardless, it was damn deep this year (and still is!) no matter how you slice it.

castlerock
04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
......And my favorite forecaster just logged a prediction for 8-16" by Saturday morning, starting tomorrow night.

Who is your favorite?

castlerock
04-10-2007, 12:42 PM
......And my favorite forecaster just logged a prediction for 8-16" by Saturday morning, starting tomorrow night.

Who is your favorite?

2+2= Scott, right?

BushMogulMaster
04-10-2007, 12:59 PM

Who is your favorite?

2+2= Scott, right?

Yep... that's Scott's forecast.

castlerock
04-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Can I get up there tomorrow night? Or do I do the snow drive on Thursday?

BushMogulMaster
04-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Can I get up there tomorrow night? Or do I do the snow drive on Thursday?

I'd be careful if you come Thursday... it will be a little warmer during the day in the valleys, so you might get some really slick road conditions. I'd come tomorrow night if I were you.

Lostone
04-10-2007, 11:57 PM
I'd agree with Tin, that '00-'01 was deeper. There were a lot of places I was in the woods, hitting nothing, where I'm still hitting things.

That is not to say it isn't just wonderful, now. But that was a great year, too! :wink: