PDA

View Full Version : Only 27" to go

Mike_451
04-09-2007, 09:42 AM
27" more of the fluffy stuff and we will be at the big 300 Mabey Susan was really onto something :)

noski
04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
By the way, the formula to determine the 294" prediction went like this:

Date=10 (we did this on the 10th of October)
Temp at top of Sugarbush that morning = 30
Number of hard frosts to that date at the base of MRG = 2
Number of maple leaves that fell into the sap bucket carried by two schoolchildren while JJ and Eric shook the tree with a stout rope = 7

10 + 30 + 2 x 7 = 294

freeheel_skier
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
By the way, the formula to determine the 294" prediction went like this:

Date=10 (we did this on the 10th of October)
Temp at top of Sugarbush that morning = 30
Number of hard frosts to that date at the base of MRG = 2
Number of maple leaves that fell into the sap bucket carried by two schoolchildren while JJ and Eric shook the tree with a stout rope = 7

10 + 30 + 2 x 7 = 294

Hey....with a little tweeking that formula works! Very accurate! :D

04-09-2007, 11:13 AM
10 + 30 + 2 x 7 = 294

Depends on where you put the parentheses... ;)

Yard Sale
04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
10 + 30 + 2 x 7 = 294

P.E.M.D.A.S.

freeheel_skier
04-09-2007, 02:08 PM
10 + 30 + 2 x 7 = 294

P.E.M.D.A.S.

Math gives me a headache. :oops: I only understand knee deep, nipple deep or scuba snorkle deep! 8)

04-09-2007, 02:21 PM
10 + 30 + 2 x 7 = 294

P.E.M.D.A.S.
Acck! This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEMDAS) approach only equals 54"... That's like April's total so far, isn't it?

kcyanks1
04-09-2007, 02:31 PM
10 + 30 + 2 x 7 = 294

P.E.M.D.A.S.
Acck! This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEMDAS) approach only equals 54"... That's like April's total so far, isn't it?

It should be writtend as (10+30+2)x7. Without the parentheses one would do 2x7 first, and then add (getting, as you said, 54). I don't understand why we are making such a big deal about getting to 294, though, when we all know that we are going to get at least 394 inches this year :-)

noski
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Before Strat calls you on it, I think the multiplication sign is redundant in the formula. Besides, if we get 394 instead of 294, I don't mind being wrong! JJ tells me we are already 11" above the average annual snowfall. :) It's all good. (Besides, they didn't test me on my math formula skills- I'll keep working on that) I'm the people-person!

kcyanks1
04-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Before Strat calls you on it, I think the multiplication sign is redundant in the formula. Besides, if we get 394 instead of 294, I don't mind being wrong! JJ tells me we are already 11" above the average annual snowfall. :) It's all good. (Besides, they didn't test me on my math formula skills- I'll keep working on that) I'm the people-person!

It's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt anything in this case. If there is no sign it means multiplication. A dot also means multiplication. An "x" is rarely used because it can be confused with a variable, but it's not technically incorrect. It was clear what I meant.

Mike_451
04-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Now given the fact that Sugarbush is prety conservative with the totals where are we really at ? where are we at at the summits ? I think we might even be closer than we think we are

Lostone
04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
You can see the formula, here. (http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?p=3819#3819) 8)

BushMogulMaster
04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Now given the fact that Sugarbush is prety conservative with the totals where are we really at ? where are we at at the summits ? I think we might even be closer than we think we are

Since Mt. Ellen historically gets a couple more inches than Lincoln Peak (yes folks... I've measured it, AND IT'S TRUE! :shock: )... I'd think we're closer to 290" at LP and maybe 300" at ME.

Also... Stowe, Jay, et. al. measured the pre-ski season snow and counted it in their total... we did not. Including that October snow, we're probably around 315 or 325".

BushMogulMaster
04-09-2007, 03:45 PM
The website is now reporting a season total of 273". Only 21" to go now!

kcyanks1
04-09-2007, 03:58 PM

Since Mt. Ellen historically gets a couple more inches than Lincoln Peak (yes folks... I've measured it, AND IT'S TRUE! :shock: )... I'd think we're closer to 290" at LP and maybe 300" at ME.

Also... Stowe, Jay, et. al. measured the pre-ski season snow and counted it in their total... we did not. Including that October snow, we're probably around 315 or 325".

Jay did not, I believe. They reset their total. There was a thread about this on either AlpineZone or FirstTracks, where Steve Wright from Jay participated.

shadyjay
04-09-2007, 04:40 PM
All this snow has got me wondering what the latest is that Castlerock has been open? Au Naturale and still going strong (after a week-long (?) rest). Heck, if ME was still open, we'd be 100% still. What's the longest for being 100% open?

Strat
04-09-2007, 05:32 PM

Haha... I'm decent at math too, but the english is my strong point 8)

Mike_451
04-09-2007, 09:24 PM
with weather like this we would still be 100% open even if they hadn't blown a drop of snow anywhere

Lostone
04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Might have been a little rough getting to the point where it all got started, tho. :wink:

skibum1321
04-10-2007, 06:15 AM

Jay did not, I believe. They reset their total. There was a thread about this on either AlpineZone or FirstTracks, where Steve Wright from Jay participated.

Don't forget that Jay finds the deepest drift and then measures smack in the middle of it :lol:

MntMan4Bush
04-10-2007, 07:59 AM

Don't forget that Jay finds the deepest drift and then measures smack in the middle of it :lol:

Correction. Jay finds the deepest drift, shovels a few on top THEN measures. :wink:

noski
04-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Just 6" to go to the 294".... You don't mind if total season snowfall exceeds prediction, do you?

ski_resort_observer
04-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Just 6" to go to the 294".... You don't mind if total season snowfall exceeds prediction, do you?

You truly are the Nostradamus of Sugarbush snowfall totals.....back in February you predicted a 100" more after the Valentine Day storm and still stuck to your guns a month ago. I was skeptical, very skeptical..but no more.

March 14..BMM- Hello.... don't you remember? I am still expecting 100" of snow before we finish..... shooting for 294" this year, the scientific formula using maple leaves falling in a sap bucket couldn't possibly be wrong.

After your done basking in your deserved glory......how much snow will we in get next season? :D Remember in alot of ways businesswise next season has already started..ie planning by both the guests and the resort, season pass sales etc. What say you. wink:

BushMogulMaster
04-13-2007, 10:23 AM

You truly are the Nostradamus of Sugarbush snowfall totals.....back in February you predicted a 100" more after the Valentine Day storm and still stuck to your guns a month ago. I was skeptical, very skeptical..but no more.

March 14..BMM- Hello.... don't you remember? I am still expecting 100" of snow before we finish..... shooting for 294" this year, the scientific formula using maple leaves falling in a sap bucket couldn't possibly be wrong.

After your done basking in your deserved glory......how much snow will we in get next season? :D Remember in alot of ways businesswise next season has already started..ie planning by both the guests and the resort, season pass sales etc. What say you. wink:

You know... it's funny... I didn't believe for a minute that we would actually get that 294"! I laughed at Susan's expense upon reading her "forecast." But now, I must bow down to the superior snow forecaster. Indeed, noski, you have truly found a gift!

And by the way... it's just fine if the total exceeds the prediction. We all know you were intentionally conservative to keep everyone from getting his hopes up! :wink:

:D

Yard Sale
04-14-2007, 03:12 PM
1 more inch! :D

noski
04-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Don't forget JJ has a lawsuit pending with Mother Nature.... He's demanding 300" for this year as fair compensation. Then we are all in the clear! COOL!

Mike_451
04-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Mabey JJ Should sue mother nature more often.