PDA

View Full Version : Man...Do I LOVE my dog!!!

skiladi
04-06-2007, 06:44 AM
I'm sure some of you will understand. I think I've seen Atkinson post some pics of his dog but he's killing me with the shots of the Rock! You see , I was all set to come up ahead of the storm on Wednesday and stay for a few days of fresh but my wonderful , old Basset Hound has not been well. She is 15. So the vet does an ultrasound and finds a grapefruit sized tumor on her spleen. I'm not one of those that believes in heroics but something about this dog told me not to count her out. The vet could not determine the nature of the tumor( benign or malignant ) so I opted for surgery and consented to euthanasia if he found things to be nasty or there were complications. Well , she came through with flying colors. No cancer. Still needs to be tested by the lab but the Doc is pretty certain it is benign. It was actually a rare type. We are not out of the woods yet because of her age and the severity of the surgery. He took out the spleen. She is in intensive care now. So will you guys please think of us while you enjoy the snow and know that if I could be there I would. Hope it holds till next week and my baby has recovered enough for me to come up! ; }

Yard Sale
04-06-2007, 06:51 AM
Apparently there are friends on a powder day. . . Best Friends! I Hope your puppy is back on the paws soon.

smootharc
04-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Glad the old hound will be sniffing the stuff of life for some time to come.

Dogless at the moment (three kids are keeping us, uh, pretty busy) but when our "little old lady" 18 year old terriers (part of my wife's paltry dowry package :D ) passed a few years ago it was a sad thing. One died, then the other died a month later, I swear, of a broken heart.

ski_resort_observer
04-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Molly and me are thinking positve thoughts and hope your pooch will be ok. :D

freeheel_skier
04-06-2007, 09:27 AM
I totally sympathize with you skiladi. Hang in there, I know your pooch will too. You saved her life. 2 yrs. ago I had to bring one of my setters in for emergency sergury on his stomach. He had "bloat"(when the stomach kinda flips/twists). When the vet told me what was happening and said it would be $$$, I asked "how much"? The vet asked why, was I not going to have the surgery.....I replied "Nope, I just need to know which/how many credit cards I need to use!" My pooch is eternally greatful. Now if I can just afford to get his teeth cleaned.....his breath stinks! :D

PS I am crazy when it comes to my 4 legged friends!

BushMogulMaster
04-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Good luck! I'm sure she'll pull through for you!

I think most people can understand and relate to what you're going through. I lost my 15 year old Samoyed two years ago. It's amazing what a crucial role dogs can play in your family. It just hasn't been the same since. :(

Anyways... I wish you both the best. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy the powder... enjoy the time with your pup while you still have it, and when she needs you most!

jwt
04-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Hey Skiladi, I'll even do you one better. . .I'll pray for the pup. . . .. . . . . my almost 10 year old Samoyed '97, is the best hiking dog there is and a huge part of the family. . . . . . . gave my wife the ring on his collar as i was giving him to my kids. . . . . . . . . . . . . hence, 'Christmas '97'. . . . . . . being all white and hiking the Long Trail over to Mad RIver, watching skier freak out when a white four legged animal comes rtunning up beside them was a kick. . . . . . . . . the 20 mile climbs in summer are leaving him stretched out on the floor for 2 days after though. . . . .can't imagine life without him. . . . . . . . .

One of my favorite bumper stickers 'I wish I was the person my dog thinks I am' .

Will do a Castlerock run for you as well. . .even if from Paradise. . . .

skiladi
04-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. You guys are the best. Your comments made me laugh and cry. I just brought her home. Doc says she's a minor miracle. He thinks she will recuperate better at home.
Or maybe he's thinking " one day at a time " . I'll take it. The cat seems to think he has to be the nurse in charge. :roll:

Yup , freeheel , cost me about the same as 2 season passes!! :P

Bush Groomer
04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. You guys are the best. Your comments made me laugh and cry. I just brought her home. Doc says she's a minor miracle. He thinks she will recuperate better at home.
Or maybe he's thinking " one day at a time " . I'll take it. The cat seems to think he has to be the nurse in charge. :roll:

Yup , freeheel , cost me about the same as 2 season passes!! :P

Pam,

so sorry to hear about Althea, sounds like you have the best possible news tho...and I am happy to hear she is home where she belongs. I was calling you last weekend to see if you and buzz wanted to help us use up a $100 gift certif to the 1824 that is about to expire (they won't extend it, but that's a story for another time).

Zoie also spent some time over at Univ of Penn two weeks ago, so I'm picking up right where I left off with the ubersized vet bills. :roll: May not be back up until May, starting some reno on the condo--unless it storms next Wednesday--then I may be sick for a day or two...everyone else here is...so they certainly wouldn't be suspicious.

hugs to althea, say hi to buzz.

ski_resort_observer
04-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Yup...nothing is cheap anymore. We just got two kittys spayed and when my wife called to tell me it cost us $660 I almost fell off my chair. As it has been mentioned before, for some things there is no price too high. :D

Bush Groomer
04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Yup...nothing is cheap anymore. We just got two kittys spayed and when my wife called to tell me it cost us $660 I almost fell off my chair. As it has been mentioned before, for some things there is no price too high. :D

:shock:

are they cougars???

I thought it was by weight...maybe $100 bucks or so....lordy..

ski_resort_observer
04-06-2007, 02:38 PM

:shock:

are they cougars???

I thought it was by weight...maybe $100 bucks or so....lordy..

I know, my thoughts exactly, turns out they got complete physicals as well which I suppose included some tests. I have learned not to ask too many questions. :wink: They don't have MRI's for cats do they?

Lostone
04-06-2007, 03:36 PM
They don't have MRI's for cats do they?

Too easy for me! They have...

cat scans! :P

Pam, hope the pup makes out ok. Skiing today was... nothing special. :wink:

noski
04-06-2007, 08:31 PM
They don't have MRI's for cats do they?

Too easy for me! They have...

cat scans! :P

ba-da-bum.... groan....

Lostone
04-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Comedy is not always pretty! :twisted:

:lol:

skiladi
04-10-2007, 10:09 AM
http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/300000006c0afe6/1/64/p-kDZpA76D-g5rvVEslQIfxhyOs7p6wo.jpg (http://www.slide.com/s/USH5RjDb4z-yM5YJsjXD9yN930XeH8b4?referrer=hlnk)

Update on Althea. She is eating okay and "things" seem to be in working order. She wants to walk and play so I'm hoping the vet will give us the okay to travel to Vt. Her staples stay in until the 24th.

atkinson
04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Good luck skiladi. I know how hard it can be. Jack, the original Diamond Dog, had a tough time with cancer and I can totally empathize with you. Gus is back on anti-biotics again, too. We'll see where it goes.

John

skiladi
04-24-2007, 07:35 PM
http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/300000006c0afe6/1/64/p-kDZpA76D-g5rvVEslQIfxhyOs7p6wo.jpg (http://www.slide.com/s/USH5RjDb4z-yM5YJsjXD9yN930XeH8b4?referrer=hlnk)

Update on Althea. She is eating okay and "things" seem to be in working order. She wants to walk and play so I'm hoping the vet will give us the okay to travel to Vt. Her staples stay in until the 24th.

Other than Treeskier pumping up for a cornfest 8) there doesn't seem to be much happening so I thought I would let you all know that Althea had her staples removed today and she is doing very well for a geriatric. Her appetite has been spotty but she is still eating. She wags her tail and sniffs the air. She had a 3 dog playdate this afternoon. So , life is good. ; }

Lostone
04-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Sounds good! :)

Glad to hear the pup is doing better. Get her on the snowboard for the last runs of the season. :lol:

skiladi
04-25-2007, 01:05 PM
http://upload8.postimage.org/52576/20_18A.jpg (http://upload8.postimage.org/52576/photo_hosting.html)

She rips at Blueberry Lake. Does that count? ; }

skiladi
05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
http://upload8.postimage.org/52576/20_18A.jpg (http://upload8.postimage.org/52576/photo_hosting.html)

She rips at Blueberry Lake. Does that count? ; }

Missing playing in the snow!! But Althea is getting better every day , even though her bloodwork indicates poor liver and kidney function. She is on a few different meds so hoping that helps. The tumor was removed along with the spleen and the vet was surprised by the biopsy report. It was a cancer. A rare form that will not spread now that the tumor is gone so maybe she will be skiing again at Blueberry Lake. ; } Not sure of her exact birthdate because she was a rescue but she was still a pup so it was a pretty certain estimate. We called it May 1st , 1992 so she is officially ( sort of ) 15.

skiladi
12-09-2007, 06:03 PM

5/1/1992-12/8/2007

She was awesome to the very end. I have cried but I can't really be sad as she had a very good life for a dog. It didn't start that way but after my son rescued her in puppyhood it was wonderful then until the end.

freeheel_skier
12-09-2007, 06:32 PM
So sorry to hear about your pooch.

She was greatful, loyal & uncoditionally loved you because you guys saved her.

As the saying goes......I wish I was the person my dog thinks I am(or something like that).

daevious
12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Rest in peace, Althea.

HowieT2
12-09-2007, 06:55 PM
My condolences. I'll leave the poetry to John.

shadyjay
12-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I'd also like to pass on my condolences. Over the summer, I got a dog and I have grown very close to him. I feel your pain and I'm sure you can get through it.

Your dog is in a better place now, with no pain, but will live on forever.

Yard Sale
12-09-2007, 08:39 PM
You have my sympahty, I've been there. The only consolation is knowing how lucky you were to have such a good friend.

BushMogulMaster
12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Here's to a great dog's great life :cheers:

May Althea rest in peace! Sleep easy, skiladi, knowing that you provided her a wonderful life full of love, fun, and happiness.

My thoughts are with you!

Lostone
12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Sorry for your loss, but I'm sure she'll be there on the other side; sad eyes, but wagging her tail with glee.

jwt
12-10-2007, 11:41 AM
skilady, sorry for your loss. . . . she was a big part of your life, obviously. . . . . .all dogs go to heaven as far as I can see. . . . . . . . and as i mentioned to John, you get to keep those memories forever!

Here is a great book just out on this very subject: Rescuing Sprite - Mark Levin author; you will be right at home with this experience http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&ean=9781416559139

skiladi
12-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. She was indeed special.