PDA

View Full Version : Castlerock Closed?

Yard Sale
04-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm surprised that Castle Rock has closed. It seema early to me. I thought I remenbered it closing later than this last year. I think they were even trucking snow in there by hand. I can remember last year skiing back to the chair on one thin track of snow. So I'm curious did the bottom burn out so quickly in one week since i was last there or is it just an operational/economic move?

Tin Woodsman
04-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm surprised that Castle Rock has closed. It seema early to me. I thought I remenbered it closing later than this last year. I think they were even trucking snow in there by hand. I can remember last year skiing back to the chair on one thin track of snow. So I'm curious did the bottom burn out so quickly in one week since i was last there or is it just an operational/economic move?

Definitely not an economic move. I skied there both days this weekend and can confirm that they had run out of tricks for keeping the bottom turns to the lift covered. All the snow they could find in a reasonable circumfrence had been pushed into the area, but it wasn't enough. Fairwell, old friend, until next winter.

04-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Split this out from the 100% thread. Is the 'Rock officially done? I was planning to ski MRG on Friday, but with them closing midweek, we set our sights on Sugarbush. Was hoping the 'Rock would hold on. I only got 4 runs on Castlerock this season and wanted to hit it a few more times. Praying for snow later this week so that double spins on Friday...seems like my only hope.

gone.skiing
04-02-2007, 01:02 PM
They were making announcements and snow report said that Sunday was last day on Castlerock. Runout was pretty ragged yesterday with some gravel skiing involved.

Treeskier
04-02-2007, 03:24 PM
But if it snow like the weather man is predicting who know what will or will not be open by weeks end at both Castlerock and Mad River. As stated in another thead. The FAT Lady has not sung!

04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
But if it snow like the weather man is predicting who know what will or will not be open by weeks end at both Castlerock and Mad River. As stated in another thead. The FAT Lady has not sung!

Any idea how much snow would be needed to get the CR double spinning again later this week? Is it just the lower elevations that need help?

ski_resort_observer
04-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Roger Hill said this morning on WDEV 3-6" thursday night above 1200'

shadyjay
04-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I just saw on TWC that we're under a Winter Storm Watch and 1-2" tomorrow with some funk starting off, then 6-10" Wed night. May just have to put off that CT trip a day - I smell freshies!

04-05-2007, 11:19 AM
The 'Rock is back open... :)

Mike_451
04-05-2007, 09:56 PM
But of course :oops: Now how about opening Mt Ellen this weekend with Slide Brook :roll: Hopefully they will at least take a groomer up top to pack things down up there so that it will stick incase they have to reopen