HowieT2
03-28-2007, 09:49 PM
They added suagrbush, both mountains.

This stuff is insane.

BushMogulMaster
03-28-2007, 10:05 PM

This stuff is insane.

Saw that the other day... meant to post it. Forgot. Oops!

MRG is also on there now.

Lostone
03-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Pretty good! :D

When I click the link on the bottom, left, it says it needs a plug-in. Know what it does, and if it is worthwhile getting the plug-in?

HowieT2
03-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Pretty good! :D

When I click the link on the bottom, left, it says it needs a plug-in. Know what it does, and if it is worthwhile getting the plug-in?

Download the plug in (I'm using Firefox 2? and I had to download the software before it allowed me to install the plug in). It allows you to rotate, zoom the image and fly/walk around it any which way you wish.

Lostone
03-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Kind of a bust on my system. The regular pic has the trails, but the 3D VMRL image doesn't.

Like the 3D pic, tho. :wink:

HowieT2
03-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Kind of a bust on my system. The regular pic has the trails, but the 3D VMRL image doesn't.

Like the 3D pic, tho. :wink:

It takes 15-30 seconds for the VMRL to load up. It starts off blank.

ski_resort_observer
03-29-2007, 12:02 PM

This stuff is insane.

Thanks for the heads up. Terrain steepness has always been a tough thing to fathom, the colorization of the steepness on these maps really makes that easy to see. I also use Firefox and the download and installation of the software worked easily. 8)

Lostone
03-29-2007, 07:30 PM
OK, I've spent just about enough time with this! :roll: :lol:

At first, it asked for a plug-in. Installed that. Then I got a VRML that shows the incline, but it is like a gray sheet, with light contour lines, but no incline coloring or trails.

Read that you guys are using a later version of Firefox... Downloaded and installed the newest version. Same VRML display.

Well... I haven't rebooted since all this... No change.

I'm done! I can see the incline in the pic, and the representation with the VRML, but can't get them together. :cry:

On the good side, Hey! This version of Firefox spell checks, as you type! That is great! :D

HowieT2
03-29-2007, 08:48 PM

At first, it asked for a plug-in. Installed that. Then I got a VRML that shows the incline, but it is like a gray sheet, with light contour lines, but no incline coloring or trails.

Read that you guys are using a later version of Firefox... Downloaded and installed the newest version. Same VRML display.

I'm done! I can see the incline in the pic, and the representation with the VRML, but can't get them together. :cry:

On the good side, Hey! This version of Firefox spell checks, as you type! That is great! :D

Sorry you're having trouble.

From what I can see, that oft mentioned future Inverness pod would open up a lot of great terrain.

BushMogulMaster
03-29-2007, 09:11 PM

Are you waiting long enough? The gray relief map comes up first, and then the colored map loads within a minute or two. If you're using dial-up, it may take 5 minutes or so to actually load. You should open it up and let it sit there for a while and see what happens.

ski_it
03-29-2007, 09:43 PM
The VRML worked for me. I do like the color shading for steepness. That's a good feature.

I'm personally a fan of Google Earth for 3D terrain visualization, but I find that Microsoft's local.live.com (http://local.live.com) has better aerial imagery for our local MRV ski terrain.

http://www.schley.net/art/locallive.jpg

I'm guessing that it only works on Windows, and I know that it only works on Internet Explorer.

Strat
03-30-2007, 06:44 AM
NASA Worldwind is still the best program out there for 3D terrain visualization (at least in VT where Google Earth lacks color hi-res data)...

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/