BushMogulMaster
03-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Yup. The Bush is the last resort in the state to remain 100% open. :D

shadyjay
03-26-2007, 08:03 PM
First resort in VT to be anything greater than 0% open in November
First resort in VT to be 100% open
Only resort still 100% open

Those are impressive stats, even now, considering the percentage of natural snow trails that the Bush has compared to other resorts.

Hmmm... could the Bush be the last resort in VT to close?

BushMogulMaster
03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
First resort in VT to be anything greater than 0% open in November
First resort in VT to be 100% open
Only resort still 100% open

Those are impressive stats, even now, considering the percentage of natural snow trails that the Bush has compared to other resorts.

Hmmm... could the Bush be the last resort in VT to close?

Unless they move back to ME, that's a big N-O. But one never knows.

Treeskier
03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Stranger thing have happened!

Doing my snow dance

shadyjay
03-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Stranger thing have happened!

Indeed, stranger things have happened. Like back in Dec/early Jan when everyone was getting depressed and saying "its never gonna snow again" or "wtf - why is it 70 degrees in january in vermont". I kept on saying "just you wait - it doesn't hit 70 deg in VT in Jan and we don't pay for it later". Well, it did happen. Of course, everyone on this board I'm sure was remaining as optomistic as me, and then mid Jan hit. Then Feb. Then early/mid March. Who would'a thunk it.

madhavok
03-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I spoke with a friend who skied LP today and he said the 100% thing was kind of a gimick. In his opinion there were trails that should be closed but were officially open just for the sake of boasting 100% open. I forgot what trails he was talking about, I think he mentioned lower birdland, lift line, & murphy's glades maybe. Um sometimes this guy can exagerate a little bit so can somone give me a better idea of what the conditions are like? I can make it up till Sunday.

BushMogulMaster
03-27-2007, 08:58 PM
I spoke with a friend who skied LP today and he said the 100% thing was kind of a gimick. In his opinion there were trails that should be closed but were officially open just for the sake of boasting 100% open. I forgot what trails he was talking about, I think he mentioned lower birdland, lift line, & murphy's glades maybe. Um sometimes this guy can exagerate a little bit so can somone give me a better idea of what the conditions are like? I can make it up till Sunday.

It's definitely a stretch... Brambles was an interesting run today!

But if you don't mind a little grass skiing, we're still going strong at 111/111!

Mike_451
03-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Lower Birdland was sketchy at the enterence and at one spot 1/2 way down, other than that it was perfectly fine Murphys Glades was also sketchy but passible. There are alot of bare spots arrouned on the mountain, but keep in mind they haven't done any major grooming in 3 days. Things will set up niclely overnight and go into a deep freeze and they will be able to patch things up and do some creative things.

Treeskier
03-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Remeber we are not Stratton. Sugarbush skier would perfer to ski around a small thin patch to get the rest of the trail instead of it being closed. When ASC ran it everyone bitched and moaned about their closing of marginal trails. So keep them open. If you want it perfect....groomed. Go to Flatton!

bill-now
03-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Spring Fling, THE GOOD:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/bill_now/DSCN0030.jpg

Lower Birdland, THE NOT SO GOOD:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/bill_now/DSCN0029.jpg

Lostone
03-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I agree with the above, both that we've had some damage, and that if there is good snow, they shoud kep the trail open.

I could care less about the trail count, but it is coming down to the last month... ( :( ) Put up a sign that says "Walk to the good snow", and let them go. :wink:

03-28-2007, 08:13 AM
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-02-ukuug/crybaby.png

It's spring skiing, folks! :roll: Personally, I love thin areas where you need to get creative with your line selection. Lower Birdland looks great in that pic! I skied the Bush on 3/25 last year and it was presumably much thinner:

The Mall:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/517/medium/DSC06737.JPG

Lower Moonshine:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/517/medium/DSC06741.JPG

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/517/medium/DSC06742.JPG

I loved every minute of those runs. If I can keep my skis on and even find 8" wide connecting strips of snow, I'm cool. I'll even take a hop to connect patches if need be. All skis are rock skis, ya big bunch of babies... ;)

skiladi
03-28-2007, 09:34 PM

I found some trails to be pretty sketchy on Tuesday. The thing that really bothered me was not grooming ME since they are closing this Sunday it would have been nice to ski something in the a.m. that wasn't a moon crater. I don't usually seek the groomers but when it vibrates your knees for the first three hours of the day it would be nice to have some forgiveness and the theory of keeping the snowpack doesn't fly if you are closing at the end of the week.

BushMogulMaster
03-28-2007, 09:38 PM

I found some trails to be pretty sketchy on Tuesday. The thing that really bothered me was not grooming ME since they are closing this Sunday it would have been nice to ski something in the a.m. that wasn't a moon crater. I don't usually seek the groomers but when it vibrates your knees for the first three hours of the day it would be nice to have some forgiveness and the theory of keeping the snowpack doesn't fly if you are closing at the end of the week.

They didn't have much of a choice. When the temperatures over night don't drop to freezing or below (it was borderline tuesday night), it's not a good idea to try to groom. You end up with more of a mess than just leaving it alone. So it wasn't an effort to preserve snow... it's just the laws and physics of snowgrooming.

skiladi
03-28-2007, 09:43 PM

They didn't have much of a choice. When the temperatures over night don't drop to freezing or below (it was borderline tuesday night), it's not a good idea to try to groom. You end up with more of a mess than just leaving it alone. So it wasn't an effort to preserve snow... it's just the laws and physics of snowgrooming.

Yup. So I was told. But other ski areas groomed. And I agree to not groom LP but if ME is closing anyway why not try to keep it skiable. $$$

BushMogulMaster
03-28-2007, 09:53 PM

Yup. So I was told. But other ski areas groomed. And I agree to not groom LP but if ME is closing anyway why not try to keep it skiable. $$$

Thus is the nature of the beast. Spring skiing is hit or miss sometimes.

I don't think the $$$ it costs to run a cat up and down two or three trails at each mountain would make a difference in the bottom line this year. It was a bad money year for the eastern ski industry due to the bad start, but I don't think that deciding not to groom for a night would make a difference. I think there was legitimate cause not to groom, and it had nothing to do with $.

skiladi
03-29-2007, 10:37 AM

Thus is the nature of the beast. Spring skiing is hit or miss sometimes.

I don't think the $$$ it costs to run a cat up and down two or three trails at each mountain would make a difference in the bottom line this year. It was a bad money year for the eastern ski industry due to the bad start, but I don't think that deciding not to groom for a night would make a difference. I think there was legitimate cause not to groom, and it had nothing to do with $.

I appreciate your opinion and later in the day things did soften up but I would gladly have gone to ME for some nice cruising had they groomed , say , one side of Elbow , RR and cruiser. For some reason a portion of snowball at the bottom was groomed and same on pushover which I took home at 9:30 to " readjust " my plans and there was nothing wrong with the groomed portions. It was a pleasant surprise to my knees.

Lostone
03-29-2007, 10:50 AM
And now... we are no longer 100%. :cry:

Lost are most of the Inverness pod, Out To Lunch, Village Run, and In and Out Road. I was warned to stay away from Out To Lunch, yesterday, and Out Road was only a little snow at it's entrance.

Beyond that, Lower Birdland will require going over grass, and has a few more places where there is a no turn area. :shock: But if it ever warms up... there is still snow, below that , and I woud be surprised not to see anyone on it. :roll: :lol:

On the good side, the cold is holding our place in the ski season, for now. 8)

DaveW
03-30-2007, 06:10 AM
"On the good side, the cold is holding our place in the ski season, for now. Cool"

Given how many people around here seem to feel about management conspiracy theories I'm surprised no one has complained that the cold this week is an intentional snub. I mean if people think that chairs are shut down solely to preserve snow on windy weekdays then it seems a natural extension to think that week day skiers are getting the foot massaging tundra to save the softer spring snow for the weekend crowd.

BushMogulMaster
03-30-2007, 06:50 AM
"On the good side, the cold is holding our place in the ski season, for now. Cool"

Given how many people around here seem to feel about management conspiracy theories I'm surprised no one has complained that the cold this week is an intentional snub. I mean if people think that chairs are shut down solely to preserve snow on windy weekdays then it seems a natural extension to think that week day skiers are getting the foot massaging tundra to save the softer spring snow for the weekend crowd.

:lol:

ski_resort_observer
03-30-2007, 10:40 AM

Your hypothesis doesn't hold water in light of the fact the Bush has been grooming 30-50 trails just about every night the last few weeks. If your shutting down lifts due to wind to preserve snow coverage why would you spend the money to groom those trails the night before? What that tells me IMHO is that the Bush hopes to run all the lifts they have scheduled each moring and only shut them down do to safety reasons.

Yard Sale
03-30-2007, 10:42 AM
This is the first week end since December that I will not be skiing :cry: . Like phantom pains, my right foot and cruise control finger are twitchy and ready to go. But, alas no road trip tonight. So please help me through the jones with some photos and accounts of the diminishing/sustaining snow pack. (Especially photos! :D )

Your anticipated attention to this desparate call for vicarious gratification is greatly appreciated.

Lostone
03-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Your hypothesis doesn't hold water in light of the fact the Bush has been....

psst... It was a joke! :wink:

Mike_451
03-30-2007, 04:00 PM
The enterence to lower birdland has been patched up nicly, now parts of it are still one line, but a damn good one. Its certainly good enough to be open because I skied it today and I can say so from my first hand experience.

ski_resort_observer
03-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Your hypothesis doesn't hold water in light of the fact the Bush has been....

psst... It was a joke! :wink:

I was wondering about that....that's what the dam smiles are for, he probably works for state government.... :wink: :lol:

DaveW
03-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Worse. I work for a ski area.

Lostone
03-30-2007, 07:58 PM
that's what the dam smiles are for, he probably works for state government

A) He might not be smillie trained. :wink:

2) He does work for the state of confusion... Does that count? :lol:

skiladi
04-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Even though I won't be there tomorrow I am happy to see that people will have a skiable route from Jester to Downspout to Gondolier(according to late afternoon ski report). Maybe I wasn't the only one last Monday to complain. Thank You Sugarbush for trying your best and listening to all your customers and correcting mistakes along the way. There are things you can't change , for better or worse , like the weather and the awesome asset that is your terrain. Said goodbye to the Rock yesterday :cry: and had an awesome day! ; }

Mike_451
04-01-2007, 03:29 PM
All of Jester, Downspout, Gondolier, Upper Birdland Domino Chute were very skiable today. They have really patched things up from this time a week ago, as the cover has actually only gotten better this week. Hopefully temps will keep going down in the evening, as even today we didn't really loose much snow. The last thing we need now is an extended thaw cycle, but I think things are holding out ok.

Steins is in very good shape, and it softened up very nicely today. Ripcord is holding out prety well, obviously they made less snow on it to concentrate on Steins.

Jester and Coffee Run have great base, Gondolier has a solid 12" or so.

Murphys Glades belive it or not still has quite a bit of base, off to the right side of course but plenty for the groomers to work with.

Upper Organgrinder has plenty of snow on it enough that they have quite a bit to push down to downspout or the traverse over to lower organgrinder and jester which is burning out prety bad.

The one spot that I am really concerned about is Snowball, as it has some prety huge bare spots on it. Again this is a trail they are planning to have open to the 21'st and beyond.

Anyway it looks like we are in good shape for the next few weeks. As long as the groomers have something to push down we will be ok.