PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing in the Valley

Yard Sale
03-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I know this is off topic and a quite a bit premature, but any thoughts on fly fishing here in the valley. I am still relatively new to the MRV, and I am curious on anyone's thoughts on any aspect of this noble pursuit in these numerous fine looking local waters. I'm interested to here anything such as outfitters, guides, patterns etc.

Thanks,

YS

ski_resort_observer
03-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't think there is much flyfishing in the valley as I don't think the Mad River is big enough to support it. I have never seen anyone flyfishing in the valley. Hopefully noski will chime in as she would have a good handle on the available resources in the valley.

I have seen many people fly-fishing on the Winooski which is pretty close and there is a nice fly-fishing shop up in Stowe that should be able to provide any info about the area's resources. http://www.flyrodshop.com/about_s.html

I assume you know that Orvis is located in Manchester and the Battenkill is considered a top river for flyfishing. Hope this helps.

noski
03-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Valley Anglers www.ValleyAnglers.com has a wonder guide. Another guide is Ron Majorell who owns the Deer Meadow Inn www.deermeadowinn.com He does flyfishing exclusively.

Let me know if this helps.

Lostone
03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
And I don't know anything about flyfishing, but just wanted to chime in and say this is not only not off topic, but a perfect topic for this room. :)

Love to have any questions about things to do in the valley. Lots of resources around, such that there is always hope of getting a good answer or two. As this thread already shows. :wink:

MntMan4Bush
03-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Without divulging any super secret trout stashes, are there any good close by areas that someone could recommend? I know someone recommended Winooski. How about any other places? Thanks in advance.

ski_resort_observer
03-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Between Waterbury and Richmond there is a well maintained dirt road on the south side of the Winooski, I89 and Rt2 are on the other side. I have photographed several people fly-fishing at numerous locations along River Rd(the dirt rd). Very easy access, scenic and quiet. About 30/45 minutes from the valley.

MntMan4Bush
03-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks. I'll be sure to check it out.

Yard Sale
03-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Yes, Thanks all for the very helpful info.

noski
03-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't think there is much flyfishing in the valley as I don't think the Mad River is big enough to support it. I have never seen anyone flyfishing in the valley. So, is this the backward logic that you use like when you are trying to get people NOT to come ski the fresh powder because you want it all to yourself? :wink:

freeheel_skier
03-26-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't think there is much flyfishing in the valley as I don't think the Mad River is big enough to support it. I have never seen anyone flyfishing in the valley. So, is this the backward logic that you use like when you are trying to get people NOT to come ski the fresh powder because you want it all to yourself? :wink:

Nah..... :wink:

ski_resort_observer
03-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Next time that guy calls and says he is coming up to kayak the Mad River in August cause he assumes by the name it must be a good river to run I'll transfer him down to you. :wink:

noski
03-27-2007, 05:25 AM

Next time that guy calls and says he is coming up to kayak the Mad River in August cause he assumes by the name it must be a good river to run I'll transfer him down to you. :wink:
Save me the trouble and mention to him he should bring the shallow water boat, would ya? You know, just in case and all....

madskier6
05-18-2007, 03:05 PM
While I'm not an expert fly fisherman, I have fly fished in the Mad River. It may not be the best river in the area to fly fish in but it isn't bad and it's close to my condo! :wink:

You can catch some decent brook trout in the Mad. I just think it's fun & relaxing to be out on the river on a nice day. While you certainly want to catch something, it's less important (to me anyway) than just getting out.

There used to be a fly fishing store in the Valley, Vermont Pack & Paddle. The owner would take people out on fishing expeditions and/or fly fishing lessons.