PDA

View Full Version : Pond Skimming on Sunday?

EXskier
03-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Is this a misprint? If not why is it on a Sunday? I am bummed because I don't think any of my usuals (30+) will make it on a Sunday. Its just not the same when you have a 3 hour drive home the same day.

Lostone
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
My guess is it would be for the April Fools? :lol:

There have been a number of years it has been on Sunday, but most of those, to my knowledge, had to do with it being postponed from that Saturday.

Triple Shot
03-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Pond Skimming and the Reggae Band are changed to Saturday so more can enjoy the festivities. Should be a blast.

MntMan4Bush
03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Just out of curiousity does anyone know the origins of how\when pond skimming began and also when\how the event was associated with Raggae or Jimmy Buffett. Don't get me wrong. Any occassion to listen to Jimmy and down a 'rita is as good as any for me, but I was just curious. It's been around for a while and is done at most ski places.

madhavok
03-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't get the correlation between ski resorts and reggae music. Do ski resorts actually think this is the type of music the majority of their guests listen to?

MntMan4Bush
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
I assume you're more inclined to listen to something like "Last Train to Clarksville". Sorry couldn't resist.

madhavok
03-22-2007, 02:29 PM
I assume you're more inclined to listen to something like "Last Train to Clarksville". Sorry couldn't resist.

HAHAAHA....

Come on, its a chimpanzee not a monkey!

othripper
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Hmmmm,

A connection between reggae music and skiing. I'll see if I can sniff out something that is common to both.

Mike

madhavok
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Hmmmm,

A connection between reggae music and skiing. I'll see if I can sniff out something that is common to both.

Mike

Yeah every once in a while a smell some weed riding up the chair lift. I also see a couple of people sporting dreadlocks but ski resorts are out of touch if they think that's their average guest.

sugarboarder
03-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Hmmmm,

Mike

Yeah every once in a while a smell some weed riding up the chair lift. I also see a couple of people sporting dreadlocks but ski resorts are out of touch if they think that's their average guest.

Correction - SOME ski resorts are out of touch.

I wasn't aware that sporting dreadlocks and/or smoking weed was a requirement for enjoying reggae?? :?

ski_resort_observer
03-22-2007, 04:42 PM
It's more of a connection between warm spring weather, and reggae music. Many ski resorts around the country have raggae fests in the spring. The one the Loaf has every spring is legendary. BTW, raggae music is very popular here in Vermont. It' all about having a good time.

The market demographics of people who come to the resorts in the spring are very diferent than the one's that come during the peak season. I thought every gun toting chimpanze knew that. :wink:

Mike_451
03-22-2007, 04:57 PM
If ski resorts really believed that weed was that big of a thing for skiing, they would have designated 420 friendly gondola cars.

Now How did we get from Pond Skimming to this :?

sugarboarder
03-22-2007, 05:08 PM
If ski resorts really believed that weed was that big of a thing for skiing, they would have designated 420 friendly gondola cars.

Now How did we get from Pond Skimming to this :?

Gondola cars AREN'T 420-friendly??? :shock:

Strat
03-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Reggae reflects sun, warmth, and good times, not unlike spring skiing... it's not like they're trying to cater to any particular guest demographic by playing it, it's one of those types of music that's generally socially acceptable in all settings as background music... if they were playing underground hip-hop I'd say that's a different story... but reggae... it's all good.

8)

HowieT2
03-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Reggae reflects sun, warmth, and good times, not unlike spring skiing... it's not like they're trying to cater to any particular guest demographic by playing it, it's one of those types of music that's generally socially acceptable in all settings as background music... if they were playing underground hip-hop I'd say that's a different story... but reggae... it's all good.

8)

and coincidently its spring break time.

sugarboarder
03-22-2007, 09:46 PM

8)

and coincidently its spring break time.

If you are a BIG TREE - we are a SMALL AXE.

MntMan4Bush
03-23-2007, 08:58 AM
My original question was if anyone knew how or where or when it all began. I've been to other ones at other mountains and sometimes they also do Buffett instead of reggae. I was just curious if anyone was around back in the day when it all began. I'm going to assume that's a "no". I was just curious.

madhavok
03-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Just got the email that it is going to be March 31st not April 1st. What an April fools!!! I already made arrangements to work March 31st instead of April 1st. just so I could enjoy the pond skimming. Seriously changing the date last minute was such a funny thing to do that I just can't stop laughing. :evil: :evil: :evil:

MntMan4Bush
03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Your pic is killing me reading that. I seriously doubled over. Hysterical. Absolutely hysterical. Not so much your situation, but more your statement and delivery.

madhavok
03-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Your pic is killing me reading that. I seriously doubled over. Hysterical. Absolutely hysterical. Not so much your situation, but more your statement and delivery.

I know, I know, I need to change my avatar. Who could take a chimp seriously?

Volkl Skier
03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Dude, your avatar is hilarious! Don't change it!!