PDA

View Full Version : Cafeteria at Lincoln Peak

asland
03-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I guess I have just always ran past the cafeteria at Lincoln peak to go ski and eat the smushed pbj sandwich from my pocket....

but yesterday I was able to check out the new cafateria becasue I was skiing with my family who wanted a real lunch. It's a beautiful building with lots of light but...

First, it is very crowded. Not so much with people but with the tables placed so close together it was uncomfortale to sit if someone sat behind you at the next table. Then, there was absolutely no room to pass through. I often had to pause eating, stand up, push in my chair, le tthe person pass, and then sit down. pain in the butt!

Second, it is very plain. I think the word my wife used was blah. Not cozy in the slightest bit.

Finally, all the outside seating is gone, with the exception of the bar.

sort of a downer.

asland

ski_resort_observer
03-12-2007, 01:35 PM
You should have gone across the plaza to Timbers for lunch. Sounds like it would have matched up better to what you were looking for. :D

BushMogulMaster
03-12-2007, 03:28 PM
You should have gone across the plaza to Timbers for lunch. Sounds like it would have matched up better to what you were looking for. :D

Yeah.

While you make some valid points, asland, you have to remember it's meant to be a cafeteria, not a cozy restaurant. That's what Timbers is for!

MntMan4Bush
03-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Where some decor fixes would be nice and all, it's not that big an issue. I mean I would like it to feel more like a ski mountain and less like a school caf, but that's just nit-picking. I do think it is a bit overcrowded though with the tables uncomfortably close together. I never go in for lunch (smushed PBJ in a pack is the best way to go) I do put on my boots up there in the morning sometimes. I can only imagine what it would be like during a lunch rush. I guess the inverse argument would be that if they took out a table or two and created more open space so you could walk around with out bumping into chair backs and hitting people in the back of the head then people would be upset there isn't enough seating. My only lunch problem is if I get hungry on the Gate House chair. Man do you have to eat fast! Maybe they could slow it down a bit just for me.

HowieT2
03-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I think most of the problem lies in the arm chairs. They simply take up too much room.

BushMogulMaster
03-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Maybe they could slow it down a bit just for me.

What are you saying? You want another Inverness? NOOOOOO!!! :lol:

MntMan4Bush
03-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Inverness would be great. I could get in a 5 course meal and have plenty of time for my server to climb up a tower and de-crumb my backpack before dessert. Maybe if someone falls getting on or off and it stops I could take in a glass of port to settle my stomach before getting off and skiing again. Seriously it changed seasons while I was going up that thing Saturday.

BushMogulMaster
03-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Seriously it changed seasons while I was going up that thing Saturday.

Seasons? Heck... it felt like years to me!

HowieT2
03-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Inverness would be great. I could get in a 5 course meal and have plenty of time for my server to climb up a tower and de-crumb my backpack before dessert. Maybe if someone falls getting on or off and it stops I could take in a glass of port to settle my stomach before getting off and skiing again. Seriously it changed seasons while I was going up that thing Saturday.

Port on the lifts. Now you're talking.

madhavok
03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
If you are looking for cozy get yourself a beer and go sit in front of the fire place in the mount ellen lodge.

Tin Woodsman
03-12-2007, 06:07 PM
If you are looking for cozy get yourself a beer and go sit in front of the fire place in the mount ellen lodge.
Mount Ellen is also good for short lift lines.

BushMogulMaster
03-12-2007, 07:54 PM

:lol:

Mike_451
03-12-2007, 09:47 PM
What is it I love about the base lodge at Mt Ellen so much? Why has the full might of the new Gatehouse lodge failed to suprass that?

madhavok
03-12-2007, 09:56 PM

Dude, I ski Mount Ellen plenty. Too bad its usually the first mountain to go on wind hold.

win
03-13-2007, 09:05 AM
When the winds are from the North but not the South!

TimKeogh
03-13-2007, 07:20 PM
What is it I love about the base lodge at Mt Ellen so much? Why has the full might of the new Gatehouse lodge failed to suprass that?

There is plenty of room to eat, attendant bartenders & wait staff, a nice sunny deck.

And the nachos are awesome!

I hope the ambiance there never changes

asland
03-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I actually do love to ski at Mt Ellan and the lodge there does lots of character. Sitting in front of the fire and out on the deck are two of my favorite memories of skiing

but...

It seems like having to change where I want to ski because the new lodge is jammed is not really a great option. I like Lincoln peak and want to bring my family there. Do I really have to drop big money at the restaurant just to get a little elbow room. All I’m saying is they put all this money into a new building and ended up with a worse scenario than they previously had.

It doen't make sense.

Tin Woodsman
03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I actually do love to ski at Mt Ellan and the lodge there does lots of character. Sitting in front of the fire and out on the deck are two of my favorite memories of skiing

but...

It seems like having to change where I want to ski because the new lodge is jammed is not really a great option. I like Lincoln peak and want to bring my family there. Do I really have to drop big money at the restaurant just to get a little elbow room. All I’m saying is they put all this money into a new building and ended up with a worse scenario than they previously had.

It doen't make sense.

What he said.

aejkb
03-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Ditto about the cafeteria. I hope that some more thought goes into this summer's construction projects. It would seem to me that Valley House provides an important relief/alternative from the lunch crowds (on Sat. especially) and should not be torn down. Off the top of my head, i think that the Castlerock pub could expand into the retail space and the retail space should be moved to a new building elsewhere. The only solution to the debacle that is the changing/locker room is to locate it elsewhere. The attached sprung structure and the old Gate house was better than what they have now. and you dont need to tell me about capacity numbers or vaulted ceiling square footage; it looks nicer but it aint better. BTW, does anyone know if the architect for Gate House Lodge was the same for Clay Brook? IMHO the exterior of the lodge looks way better(beautiful even) than Clay Brook, though the inside of the Gate house has too many screw ups to be considered a successful design. I am not going to mention the big red Elephant in the room, because other than the initial visual shock it doesnt affect my life.

Tin Woodsman
03-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Ultimately, they really, really need to get the new Guest Services Lodge right, or there will be big trouble in Bushville. It has to include a sufficiently compelling and sizable cafeteria to induce all users of that facility to use it, and thereby not use the main Gate House Lodge cafeteria. If the racers, ski schoolers, nursery schoolers, Blazers, Bears, etc... and perhaps even their parents (now there's a novel idea - parents of ski schoolers being able to join their kids for lunch, if the kids will want to be seen with them), then you create all sorts of extra space at the GH lodge, no?

If they blow it, and the VH lodge is but a distant memory, then they'll have real problems dwarfing anything we've seen this year - I don't care how many people can allegedly/theoretically fit into GH, CR Pub, and Timbers. They've got to do better.

Make it so, Win. Make it so.

gottdogg
03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Nothing better than a burger and couple of beers after a hard day of skiing. Scrap the deli and serve burgers, wings, etc. At least fire up a grill outside on the patio that gets used every third weekend or so.

ski_resort_observer
03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Another great "pizza/movie night" at Gatehouse tonight. Parents and kids were amazed at how great the pizza was. We pumped out over 25 pizza's in the kitchen. The food has improved 100% over the slightly smaller and very smelly former Gatehouse Lodge. A great time was had by all. :D

Lostone
03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Every third week or so might change as we start getting warmer.

Why do I suggest this?

1) I've been here before. :wink:

B) Coming out of the lodge a little after noon, today, I glanced down at the patio and was a little surprised to see it was packed. 8)

random_ski_guy
03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Ultimately, they really, really need to get the new Guest Services Lodge right, or there will be big trouble in Bushville. It has to include a sufficiently compelling and sizable cafeteria to induce all users of that facility to use it, and thereby not use the main Gate House Lodge cafeteria. If the racers, ski schoolers, nursery schoolers, Blazers, Bears, etc... and perhaps even their parents (now there's a novel idea - parents of ski schoolers being able to join their kids for lunch, if the kids will want to be seen with them), then you create all sorts of extra space at the GH lodge, no?

If they blow it, and the VH lodge is but a distant memory, then they'll have real problems dwarfing anything we've seen this year - I don't care how many people can allegedly/theoretically fit into GH, CR Pub, and Timbers. They've got to do better.

Make it so, Win. Make it so.

Indeed the presure is on to correct the shortcomings of the current situation in the new guest services building. And because of this, I was dissappointed to read this winter that the proposed building has gotten a little smaller. I'd rather hear that its getting bigger.

Moving the retail shop to the new building could help a little. That space could add to the changing area space or used as more seating for the CR Pub. Perhaps as an overflow room for the pub.

Also, I was looking at the patio tucked between the rock wall and the CR Pub to the south of the building. What about installing a cavanas tent over this space for Nov-March 1st that gets pulled back for March and April skiing. The tent's not perfect, but with the right execution it might work. Under the tent (think large high quality tent) you could have another bar (the "ice bar") and space heaters. With enough body heat it might work for all but the coldest days (less than 10 degrees out might kill it).

Tin Woodsman
03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Indeed the presure is on to correct the shortcomings of the current situation in the new guest services building. And because of this, I was dissappointed to read this winter that the proposed building has gotten a little smaller. I'd rather hear that its getting bigger.

Moving the retail shop to the new building could help a little. That space could add to the changing area space or used as more seating for the CR Pub. Perhaps as an overflow room for the pub.

Also, I was looking at the patio tucked between the rock wall and the CR Pub to the south of the building. What about installing a cavanas tent over this space for Nov-March 1st that gets pulled back for March and April skiing. The tent's not perfect, but with the right execution it might work. Under the tent (think large high quality tent) you could have another bar (the "ice bar") and space heaters. With enough body heat it might work for all but the coldest days (less than 10 degrees out might kill it).

Couldn't agree more on the south patio - I've advocated expanding the whole lodge southward into that space many times, though your solution is probably much cheaper and more realistic. The retail shop idea is new. It's too bad that it's an island of space, across the wide hall from .....well, everything.

ski_resort_observer
03-14-2007, 10:24 PM

Couldn't agree more on the south patio - I've advocated expanding the whole lodge southward into that space many times, though your solution is probably much cheaper and more realistic. The retail shop idea is new. It's too bad that it's an island of space, across the wide hall from .....well, everything.

Tin - a couple of months ago you posted that you felt the new LP base area developement was too large, it totally ruined the "vibe" of LP. Now you want to make it larger...please explain. :D

Tin Woodsman
03-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Tin - a couple of months ago you posted that you felt the new LP base area developement was too large, it totally ruined the "vibe" of LP. Now you want to make it larger...please explain. :D
I guess you're joking, given the smiley. In case you're not, I think I said that Clay Brook was too large and that the new lodge was somewhat antiseptic and lacking in vibe. I've been saying for quite some time that the GH lodge is too small.

MntMan4Bush
03-15-2007, 08:28 AM
To build on SRO's idea instead of a tent how about a hard plastic bubble. Almost like a greenhouse, but they make them of hard clear plastic as opposed to the soft walls normally associated with greenhouses. The top would be slightly slanted to allow snow/r word run off and extend out over the current patio. The current space heaters would definietly keep it warm enough. Then during the spring it could be taken down opening up the outdoor patio and put into storage until the following ski season. I know I've seen them used as sun room extensions off of houses and it would look a bit nicer than a tent.

I don't think that using the current Retail store as overflow for CR will work because there's no bar in there and I can imagine the service wouldn't be great, plus you'll feel completely cut off. You'd basically have to throw up one wall and knock down another to connect the two.

thinksnow
03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
To build on SRO's idea instead of a tent how about a hard plastic bubble. Almost like a greenhouse, but they make them of hard clear plastic as opposed to the soft walls normally associated with greenhouses. The top would be slightly slanted to allow snow/r word run off and extend out over the current patio. The current space heaters would definietly keep it warm enough. Then during the spring it could be taken down opening up the outdoor patio and put into storage until the following ski season. I know I've seen them used as sun room extensions off of houses and it would look a bit nicer than a tent.

I don't think that using the current Retail store as overflow for CR will work because there's no bar in there and I can imagine the service wouldn't be great, plus you'll feel completely cut off. You'd basically have to throw up one wall and knock down another to connect the two.

It's a shame that all this thought didn't go into the original "master plan" (do I hear evil laughter??) as per Win.

ski_resort_observer
03-27-2007, 11:23 AM
They recently opened a greenhouse in Maine to supply the regional demand for fresh tomatoes all yearround. It's footprint inside equals 25, that's right folks, 25 acres. Are we crazy or crazy like Nostradamus... 8) :lol: http://www.salon.com/wire/ap/archive.html?wire=D8N0TJ502.html