PDA

View Full Version : Off the charts!

atkinson
03-05-2007, 08:45 AM
On top the Friday storm and numerous squalls this weekend and last night, we are expecting 6-10" more for today.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/VHWindow0307.jpg
Here's a view from the second floor of Valley House yesterday afternoon.

John

p.s. This thread is officially stoke-only!

BushMogulMaster
03-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Lovin' life! :D

Yesterday was so amazing, and clearly the rest of the week will be too.

I'm going to try to head over to MRG this afternoon. We'll just have to see how bad the wind/visibility/roads are.

gottdogg
03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Enjoy. Wish I was there today. Any thoughts on tomorrow - wind holds likely?

Also what gives with the snow report - 11 inches in 72 hours? Whiteface is reporting 31", Stowe 22-29" and Stratton 18" for 72 hours. Not the way to get a day tripper hungry for powder to head to Sugarbush.

BushMogulMaster
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Also what gives with the snow report - 11 inches in 72 hours? Whiteface is reporting 31", Stowe 22-29" and Stratton 18" for 72 hours. Not the way to get a day tripper hungry for powder to head to Sugarbush.

Sugarbush has been significantly conservative this year about snow reports. There has been MUCH more than 11 inches in the past 72 hours. I've gotten over a foot outside my door at the base. There's more like 18-22 in the past 72 hours.

atkinson
03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
The heaviest squall I've ever seen just blew through, dropping an inch in about 10 minutes.

Stoke only! Thanks!

John

boze
03-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Wishing I could be there. Thx for the pic. Someone pls rip a run down Middle Earth & Paradise Woods for me in abstentia.

I may need to call in a mental health day - - that snow looks IN-SANE!

sugarboarder
03-05-2007, 11:48 AM

It's been really squally the past few days so the snowfall varies wildly from place to place, and it's been windy, so any "official" measuring station may be different from what happens less than a mile away.

But anyone, please, feel free to go elsewhere for powder! :wink

MntMan4Bush
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
OK. I've been away for the last week (San Diego until Tuesday and then Utah until yesterday) and it's taken me about 2 hours of good quality "work" time to catch up on all the posts and despite the conditions being incredible it seems that there is a lot of hostitility and angst. I'm glad to see this post and things getting back on track, focusing on what really matters, skiing (or riding I guess) and snow. I was at Snowbird, Brighton, Alta and Solitute and even though the conditions out there were epic and likely the best week long stretch in decades we're excited to be back to the Bush this weekend and it was never far from my mind. Let's keep our focus here. Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.........No........and we're not giving up now. So let's tune up those skis, afix your Meathead stickers to your helmets, start blasting The Dead and get ready for one hell of a month.

Treeskier
03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
The depths in the trees are now rivaling 2001!

ski_resort_observer
03-05-2007, 01:15 PM
I think this is typical crazy spring type weather. I was working in the LP parking lot this morning and when the squall hit we agreed that we got 3"in about 20 minutes. When I headed out at about 11:30, it was sunny down on Rt 100. Crazy but not that unusual.

Strat
03-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Phenomenal.

That's all that needs to be said.

Mike_451
03-05-2007, 05:08 PM
180"+ for the season and counting!

aejkb
03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
In the beginning of January I was weeping and gnashing my teeth about the lack of snow and global warming. The snow is great, but I am still concerned/freaked out by global warming and its potential affect on our little corner of heaven. I hope all of us, including Summit Ventures make a real commitment to greener lifestyles and mountain operations.

noski
03-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Say! Lostone! This reminds me! What was my prediction from Peak Foliage Day for Total Winter Snowfall? ...294"..... Getting there!

skiladi
03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Wishing I could be there. Thx for the pic. Someone pls rip a run down Middle Earth & Paradise Woods for me in abstentia.

Paradise Woods...check.
MiddleEarth...nope...so many trees,so little time. ; }
Get up here!

ski_resort_observer
03-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Say! Lostone! This reminds me! What was my prediction from Peak Foliage Day for Total Winter Snowfall? ...294"..... Getting there!

Yeah right..spoken like someone who lives high above the valley away from the flood that would probably result from 100" in the next month or so......... :wink: :lol: The memories of the last one is still pretty fresh in my mind. I hope you and lostone will be willing to throw us valley dwellers some life preservers. :wink:

boze
03-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Paradise Woods...check.
MiddleEarth...nope...so many trees,so little time. ; }
Get up here!

Thx, SkiLadi, for the vicarious enjoyment.

Suspect it's warmer / less windy in those trees as well!!

Enjoy

smootharc
03-06-2007, 01:32 PM
I played hooky when I came out of my condo Sunday night to drive home....and there was 4" on my car. Called the good wife, and she immediately reaffirmed why I was lucky enough to marry her, saying "I can hold down the fort - sounds like you could use a powder day". I didn't mention Saturday had kinda, sorta been a pretty nice powdery day, too. Musta slipped my mind.... :wink:

Just a stellar Monday...and topside had more than reported, at least where my skis were pointed. I was happy for a bit of payback from Ullr for poor, powder-deprived me, as I missed the Valentine's Day epic trapped in....ug...Florida.

Thought you'd be standing at Bravo ready to charge, but I'm sure you were somewhere doing something with skis covered in snow. I recalled your advice given in an early season Bush Pilots session....and did something somewhere that is often overlooked....and absolutely CHOKED with pow is the only way to describe it yesterday. Sweet, sweet day.

Amazingly, C-Rock chair was ski on except once when I waited 4 chairs. See you Sat.

Yard Sale
03-06-2007, 01:55 PM
something somewhere that is often overlooked....and absolutely CHOKED with pow

HMMM.

skiladi
03-06-2007, 04:04 PM
something somewhere that is often overlooked....and absolutely CHOKED with pow

HMMM.

There was a lot of that on Monday. Plenty to go around. ; } Or through.

Lostone
03-06-2007, 08:15 PM

You mean here? (http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=404) :wink:

Actually, I thought of this the other day. But I misremembered the amount, and was thinking of 194".

Looks like you'd better get busy! :x

:lol:

Mike_451
03-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Well assuming the bulk of what we have gotten is on the mountain right now, vs having 60 inches of snow from December that thawed away in a January Thaw, things are feeling like they are well above 200"

BushMogulMaster
03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Well assuming the bulk of what we have gotten is on the mountain right now, vs having 60 inches of snow from December that thawed away in a January Thaw, things are feeling like they are well above 200"

I think we've had at least 200". SB is pretty conservative on the reports anymore.

Strat
03-06-2007, 09:58 PM

I think we've had at least 200". SB is pretty conservative on the reports anymore.
They used to be more liberal nowadays.

:P

noski
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM

They used to be more liberal nowadays.

:P
I thought I knew what you meant now.

kcyanks1
03-07-2007, 09:42 AM

MRG says 147"-185".

gratefulskier
03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
On Monday, MRG was showing 10"-13" new on their snow reports that were posted by the lifts.

I must have gotten shorter recently, because that 10"-13" was well above my knees in Paradise and Fall Line. The conditions at MRG on Monday were the best I've ever seen there. Tuesday was cold and windy and the single chair had a delayed opening, but the mountain was still skiing well, as long as you kept your tips out of wind-packed troughs.

I imagine the SB was similarly amazing on Monday, given how it was dumping at the end of the day on Sunday. The snow was coming down so hard on Sunday that skiers at both SB and MRG had to deal with a closed road to leave the resort.

GS

atkinson
03-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Yesterday ...

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/digLG0307.jpg
Diggity!

John

Strat
03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Where is that??

Secret, I know, but it's fun to ask... :P

BushMogulMaster
03-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Looks boring......

:wink:

I'm sorry it was such a terrible day.

:lol:

Fourwide
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Where is that??

Waterfall, I believe.

Strat
03-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Where is that??

Waterfall, I believe.
Last time I checked Waterfall did not have a cliff of that size...

BushMogulMaster
03-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Where is that??

Waterfall, I believe.

Last time I checked, Waterfall was not a waterfall, nor does it have any kind of cliff!

Fourwide
03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Where is that??

Waterfall, I believe.

Sorry, you're right. Can only be Sleeper Chutes--have you checked those out lately?

freeheel_skier
03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
It's definitely Mad Rver Glenn....or maybe ME?

BushMogulMaster
03-07-2007, 09:07 PM
It's got to be Mad River Glen. No questions. Based on how open the surrounding woods are, I don't think there's any spot quite like that at the Bush. I could be wrong though... I have been before! :wink:

Treeskier
03-07-2007, 09:37 PM
It looks like the wall/cliff under the Bird Cage Restaurant that you see going up the Double at Mad River.

atkinson
03-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Nobody is even close. Let's just say that it's definitely not MRG. But I love the guessing.

John

random_ski_guy
03-08-2007, 12:00 AM
1. The woods around Cats Meow
2. Behind the Warren Store
3. Somewhere in the lower elevations of the slidebrook area. It must be a fairly low elevation, below 2500 ft given the tree density (or lack thereof).

atkinson
03-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Not Slide Brook either, but you are getting warmer with the low elevation talk. With the snow so good, you can ski right to the Valley floor. And there is a lot of very cool terrain below 2500' in the MRV. You guys could keep guessing, but for the sake of moving on to talk of upcoming snow, it's "off-campus" and skins are required.

John

castlerock
03-08-2007, 08:30 AM
but for the sake of moving on to talk of upcoming snow.....

Alright, if you won't tell us where, at least give us some hope on the weather. I'm practically heartbroken that this softsnow base will get polluted by Rxxx.

atkinson
03-08-2007, 09:46 AM
How many times has the weather report been wrong this winter? Don't cry over pre-crystalline precipitation before it falls. Trends are looking colder. Carpe ski'em!

John

p.s. Castlerock, here's a shot of one of those "close-out" glades you complained about earlier in the year.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/RHSB2-0307.jpg
ALC Coach Rick Hale on Monday.

castlerock
03-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Castlerock, here's a shot of one of those "close-out" glades you complained about earlier in the year.

Some how all those close-outs disappeared after the Valentines day epic. No more whining from me. A lot has to do with the security you feel under foot.

Besides the one Rick is skiing you could drive a truck through!

As a side note, can we get permission to get rid of the two huge deadfalls on Huey's (sp?) That classic line took a big hit this past off season.

ski_resort_observer
I have checked several weather sources including the local guy, Roger Hill, and they say the possibility of what you said.. :wink: is most likely to happen on the valley floor and if it does get any higher it will be short lived and will be changing back to snow.

I am looking at this with unbridled emotionally based reasoning in that if it does happen the neg effect will be minimal. I will be there working both mornings at LP and will be looking up at the sky often in complete and total reverence. :wink:

freeheel_skier
snorkel! :lol:

skiladi
03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
How many times has the weather report been wrong this winter? Don't cry over pre-crystalline precipitation before it falls. Trends are looking colder. Carpe ski'em!

John

p.s. Castlerock, here's a shot of one of those "close-out" glades you complained about earlier in the year.

Monday was sweet. How are things looking for tomorrow?

Lostone
03-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Nasty to start, but by the time we open it is supposed to be only -17° wind chill. And by noon, it should be in the positives for wind chill... which is like... Heat Wave! :D

Should be a really good afternoon. :)

Sugaree
03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
This is what Josh Fox just posted:

"The weekend as it turns out, although significantly milder than the recent days, will not be as mild as once was expected (like my last update). Temperatures will start out in the teens and quickly rise to freezing and even a few beyond by the early afternoon. The high sun angle and the warmer temperatures will be enough to soften the snow, particularly at the low elevations but we should see an increase in clouds and eventually a full overcast by the middle of the afternoon. The precpitation which should arrive late in the day on Saturday is not likely to be snow but either rain, freezing rain, ice pellots or sleet depending on the excact location. It should be a rather short-lived round of precipitation, whatever falls, which will end as a bit of snow or flurries. Sunday appears mostly dry with temperatures in the 20's at the beginning of the day and 30's during the afternoon. "

I'm trying to decide whether to make it up this weekend. Tough call.

Lostone
03-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm trying to decide whether to make it up this weekend. Tough call.

As you have probably been reading, here, skiing is not good, right now. It is outstanding!

Sunday (and Monday) are looking like they'd be worth it, alone. 8)

Sugaree
03-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I have been up 3 of the last 4 weekends, and, the skiing is beyond outstanding. I will probably head back up, and put off things I need to get done at home for another week. Thanks for setting me straight.

castlerock
03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks for setting me straight.

There are a limited number of days left in the season...If you don't maximize them you'll be kicking yourself in May....

Treeskier
03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
John flys through the trees also!
http://www.clubxtaski.com/photos/Best_of_2007/content/bin/images/large/174e.jpg

Doing my snow dance for more powder!

atkinson
03-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the nice looking shot TS. I'm just glad you didn't have your camera out for all my falls on that run.

Here's another one to keep the stoke up.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/SBPicoKillington0307sm.jpg

Still looking sweet!

John

Strat
03-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Sweet shot, awesome contrast... you can even see K in the back...

What's your camera rig John?

atkinson
03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Canon 20D (8.1MP) SLR, cheap 18-135mm(really 24-150) lens. I spent several years learning on a 30 year old Canon, all-metal, all manual, all slide film. Action shots were tough to nail. Last winter, I got the new camera and have really enjoyed the extra help. I tend to get more of the shots I want now, instead of primarily hit or miss.

Not only Killington, but Pico too.

One more?

This will be full size in the Valley Reporter tomorrow.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/DigSB5-0307sm.jpg
ALC Coach Diggity in his element last Friday at Sugarbush.

More snow on the way!

John

Strat
03-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Nice stuff, cool!

smootharc
03-14-2007, 09:52 AM
....be smiling ? :wink:

atkinson
03-14-2007, 12:23 PM
That grin is ear-to-ear, but his beard conceals it. How could you not notice that? You've seen the Grizzly Adams-thing he's got going.

John