PDA

View Full Version : Re: Out to Lunch

HowieT2
03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
As I sit in my office eating lunch, lamenting the fact that I can't come up this weekend, I was wondering about the Out to Lunch trail and the condos it serves. Is there any possibility or even plan to make the area where the condos are, really ski in/ski out? Out to Lunch is serviceable for getting back home at the end of the day, but you can't really use it to hop back for a quick break, like you can do at Claybrook or Snow Creek. Perhaps a regrading of the trail would help. What about adding a lift in that area.

I understand that SV doesn't own the RE there so it may be non-starter, but there is a large existing housing stock which is close to the base but not really ski-in/ski-out.

skiladi
03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
As I sit in my office eating lunch, lamenting the fact that I can't come up this weekend, I was wondering about the Out to Lunch trail and the condos it serves. Is there any possibility or even plan to make the area where the condos are, really ski in/ski out? Out to Lunch is serviceable for getting back home at the end of the day, but you can't really use it to hop back for a quick break, like you can do at Claybrook or Snow Creek. Perhaps a regrading of the trail would help. What about adding a lift in that area.

I understand that SV doesn't own the RE there so it may be non-starter, but there is a large existing housing stock which is close to the base but not really ski-in/ski-out.

I'm on the OTL. It's the best location on the Mt. I don't know what you mean. Snowmaking will not happen there without a huge effort and some $$$ on the part of the RE owners. Other than that I find it passable 80-90% of the time.

CapeSkiGuy
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
My wife and I were wondering the same thing last weekend when we left the Phoenix. That would sure make the village more attractive. I did notice while flipping through the Mad Bus schedule booklet that there is shuttle service between the village and the LP base. I wonder how many people actually take advantage of it?

ski_resort_observer
03-01-2007, 03:35 PM
On busy weekends I see lots of people using the condo shuttle. If your headed to LPV it can be a fast alternative to OTL>Village Double>LPV especially if you hit the schedule at the right time.

HowieT2
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM

I'm on the OTL. It's the best location on the Mt. I don't know what you mean. Snowmaking will not happen there without a huge effort and some $$$ on the part of the RE owners. Other than that I find it passable 80-90% of the time.

I'm not talking about snowmaking, I'm talking about how long it takes and the flat parts, that make it impractical, except as an end of the day go home option.

Lostone
03-01-2007, 04:34 PM
1) Out To Lunch works fine, if you are adjoining the trail, and using the Village Chair. If you want to get over to Gatehouse, not so much.

B) I use the bus all the time, when the Village Chair is not running or when the Ski in, ski out is broken. It works well, if your timing is right.

ScoobySnack
03-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I walk down to the OTL trail all the time and take it to the Village Double lift and then ski over to GH. It's pretty much all downhill(ish) that way.

Now if we really want to talk, how about a Village Run trail connector to the OTL. Impossible, you say? Well yeah, probably. Oh well.

Lostone
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
how about a Village Run trail connector to the OTL.

Tunnel or bridge.

Not impossible, but likely very expensive. :shock:

All you have to do is let Summit Ventures see how it would be an advantage to them that outweighs the cost. :wink:

castlerock
03-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Now if we really want to talk, how about a Village Run trail connector to the OTL. Impossible, you say? Well yeah, probably. Oh well.

Since the last storm, me and my boys have been skiing the Village Run to OTL connector as our way home.

With regards to ski-out. Any place that is above the base will do it. You may have to cross a road or driveway.

skiladi
03-06-2007, 11:13 AM

I'm not talking about snowmaking, I'm talking about how long it takes and the flat parts, that make it impractical, except as an end of the day go home option.

I guess without knowing your location I don't understand your "time" dilemma. I can ski home for an hour or less break and be back on the Village Double or skate to the GH in minutes. My reference to snowmaking was in response to your regrading suggestion. Any change at all to that trail will have to have huge support and some cost so unless it will have nearly 100% access why would you change it? If it creates MORE traffic my vote is to leave it alone. I would like to see a sign change stating condo and village access; thin cover...not beginner terrain. And don't have the green circle designation. A green circle denotes the easiest way down. If that trail is only an access to some residences and the village it is not the easiest way down but the only way ( if you want to access those points ). If you are going to the village chair then your easiest way down is Easy Rider.

ski_resort_observer
03-06-2007, 12:15 PM
I think there is room for alot of improvement regarding trail access for Sugarbush Village.

Since Sugarbush Village, the small commercial area, is owned by a company not part of the resort and also manages the largest chunk of condos on the short term rental program, in Sugarbush Village, for the owners, Sugarbush Village has to play the major role in this with an obvious partnership with the resort. There were a couple of first steps made in the last 10 years but they were initiated by the resort and quickly died off without the involvement of Sugarbush Village.

Volkl Skier
03-06-2007, 12:37 PM

I guess without knowing your location I don't understand your "time" dilemma. I can ski home for an hour or less break and be back on the Village Double or skate to the GH in minutes. My reference to snowmaking was in response to your regrading suggestion. Any change at all to that trail will have to have huge support and some cost so unless it will have nearly 100% access why would you change it? If it creates MORE traffic my vote is to leave it alone. I would like to see a sign change stating condo and village access; thin cover...not beginner terrain. And don't have the green circle designation. A green circle denotes the easiest way down. If that trail is only an access to some residences and the village it is not the easiest way down but the only way ( if you want to access those points ). If you are going to the village chair then your easiest way down is Easy Rider.

I agree with you for the most part, but a green circle doesn't indicate the easiest way down. The easiest way down sign does. There are PLENTY of places where the easiest way down is a black diamond, or blue squares. Plus, someone could just ski out to lunch for fun if they really wanted. I'm not sure why, but theres nothing wrong with it.

skiladi
03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I think there is room for alot of improvement regarding trail access for Sugarbush Village.

Since Sugarbush Village, the small commercial area, is owned by a company not part of the resort and also manages the largest chunk of condos on the short term rental program, in Sugarbush Village, for the owners, Sugarbush Village has to play the major role in this with an obvious partnership with the resort. There were a couple of first steps made in the last 10 years but they were initiated by the resort and quickly died off without the involvement of Sugarbush Village.

With the first plan for base development came the restructure of the lower part of OTL and the demise of the in road and the out road. That was access to the village ( and was downhill with a little wax and some skating capability ). I was able to access by snowboard also. In fact , when the OTL is not well covered I choose to ride 'cause walking is easier in freestyle boots and the board is light. No one really likes to schlep but with shuttles and the like it should be minimal.

skiladi
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM

I agree with you for the most part, but a green circle doesn't indicate the easiest way down. The easiest way down sign does. There are PLENTY of places where the easiest way down is a black diamond, or blue squares. Plus, someone could just ski out to lunch for fun if they really wanted. I'm not sure why, but theres nothing wrong with it.

When you board any chairlift there is a sign telling you what terrain you will access ( green , blue or black ) Of course , at the top of that lift your easiest way may indeed be a black , such is the case off the Castlerock.
When you board the village double you are accessing green circle terrain. The easy rider is the trail you land on , therefore no sign is needed.
I have skied the OTL when it was fairly difficult but yesterday it was sweet! ; }

HowieT2
03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Maybe I'm impatient and not having a place in sugarbush village I certainly haven't used it as much as you have, but to me, OTL is strictly an end of the ski day run. There are no quick stops to go to bathroom, have lunch or change gear, as you can do at true ski-on/off like Snow Creek and Claybrook. I really don't have a solution in mind but I thought this thread would bring out some more ideas. Kind of surprised that Bushmogulmaster doesn't have a surface lift planned for the area. :lol:

castlerock
03-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I have a place in the Village (castlerock, btw, hence the screen name). My family and I use OTL all the time, to go back for lunch. Sometimes we ski the woods off the Village run instead, hence my earlier post. I don't get the concept that it isn't good for ski-in ski out. So I have to walk 200 yards down the mountainside parking lot, big deal. In fact, on most mornings, especially if I hustle, the walk allows me to warm up before sitting on a cold chair.

ski_resort_observer
03-06-2007, 04:49 PM
I have a place in the Village (castlerock, btw, hence the screen name). My family and I use OTL all the time, to go back for lunch. Sometimes we ski the woods off the Village run instead, hence my earlier post. I don't get the concept that it isn't good for ski-in ski out. So I have to walk 200 yards down the mountainside parking lot, big deal. In fact, on most mornings, especially if I hustle, the walk allows me to warm up before sitting on a cold chair.

I agree with you 1000%. Your complex, Mountainside, Center Village and Village Gate all enjoy a short walk to the trails via either the little bridge thru the Mountainside parking lot or thru the covered bridge. However, to be fair, guests/owners/renters in Summitt, North Lynx, Forum,
UniHab, Ten Trailside, Paradise and a few others do not enjoy such a convenience.

HowieT2
03-06-2007, 05:29 PM

I agree with you 1000%. Your complex, Mountainside, Center Village and Village Gate all enjoy a short walk to the trails via either the little bridge thru the Mountainside parking lot or thru the covered bridge. However, to be fair, guests/owners/renters in Summitt, North Lynx, Forum,
UniHab, Ten Trailside, Paradise and a few others do not enjoy such a convenience.

That might explain my perspective. I have stayed in Summit, North Lynx and Paradise, not Mountainside or the others.

castlerock
03-06-2007, 05:46 PM

Yes, especially for the average skier or the expert but possibly in-experienced renter. There are ways to ski to and from the upper condo's but they require intimate knowledge of the terrain, and a good skate across most (not all) of the Village run. So yes the "convenient" ski in ski out of those units isn't there.

But, all that said, there is no reason not to go exploring and figure out the lines that are there. (especially with the snow we have now!)

Last weekend a friend skiing home with me around some of the houses on the upper Village road, commented, it was like skiing in Switzerland

ski_resort_observer
03-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Yup, having this much snow in March is a sweet situation on so many levels. :D

Lostone
03-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanx, SRO, for reminding me that I wanted to get back to this one, too. :lol:

a green circle doesn't indicate the easiest way down.

By definition, a green dot trail is an easier trail. I don't think a black diamond is ever easier than a green dot, should they go to and from the same place.

That said, I have seen times when I was describing Pushover as a green diamond, as it was a... little more challenging than normal.

And I really have to wonder about Out To Lunch's designation as a green dot. Some is quite flat, but the steeps, on that narrow a trail, scare those that are at green dot level.

And I agree with the above statement that OTL is really only a good lunch route alternative if you are right on the route. I have used a Village Run in and OTL out, route, when visitint a friend in the Trailside condos. My whole time off my skis was to go across the road, but it was a snowstorm, so I skied on the snowbanks, which might not have been good, were there not to be fresh snow.

Interestingly, I was riding the lift with someone, the other day, who was staying at Snowcreek. As I was describing my Oh so HARD trials to get from my place to start skiing, :cry: they told me that they were staying at the far side of Snowcreek, and had to walk quite a way before they could ski,