PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm Warning

Strat
03-01-2007, 08:11 AM
513 AM EST THU MAR 1 2007
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 PM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR
NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST VERMONT...
INCLUDING THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS...
WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 PM EST FRIDAY.
THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST VERMONT ...
INCLUDING THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT...
WITH 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOWFALL EXPECTED BY DAYBREAK ON FRIDAY.
SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES FRIDAY MORNING. THE SNOW MAY MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO SLEET AT TIMES FRIDAY MORNING.
THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS LATER FRIDAY NIGHT.
A TOTAL SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION OF 10 TO 16 INCHES IS EXPECTED BY FRIDAY EVENING.

Tin Woodsman
03-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Note that is for the populated areas in lower elevations and doesn't include any of the upslope and mountain-induced snowfall that Josh Fox talked about for the weekend. Me likey.

03-01-2007, 09:29 AM
So do you think the skiing will be okay on Monday? ;)

Lostone
03-01-2007, 09:39 AM
No! It will be scary up here. Greg, I think you should cancel your trip and hide under your bed... just in case. :wink:

BushMogulMaster
03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Note that is for the populated areas in lower elevations and doesn't include any of the upslope and mountain-induced snowfall that Josh Fox talked about for the weekend. Me likey.

This storm is supposed to be highly affected by terrain/elevation. I would not be in the least bit surprised with 6-12 by morning and 24 by the end of the day, with another foot or so through monday. But I won't get my hopes up too far.

Greg... it's gonna be awesome. What days did you say you were skiing here?

03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Monday through Thursday. Probably at MRG one of those days. Mostly just turning 'em in the morning. I usually send my wife out in the afternoon and take over with kid duty.

BushMogulMaster
03-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Monday through Thursday. Probably at MRG one of those days. Mostly just turning 'em in the morning. I usually send my wife out in the afternoon and take over with kid duty.

Will you be at ME any of those days?

walks
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
See you all in the tree's Friday

03-01-2007, 10:38 AM

It's possible, but not likely. We're staying right at LP so the only venture via the car will likely be MRG.

BushMogulMaster
03-01-2007, 11:27 AM

It's possible, but not likely. We're staying right at LP so the only venture via the car will likely be MRG.

Oh, then you'll miss the good bumps. Oh well. Here's what you'll miss:

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me1.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me2.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me3.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me4.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me5.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me6.jpg

As a proficient bumper who has skied both LP and ME in the past week, the bumps at ME are SIGNIFICANTLY better. I really didn't have much fun in the bumps at LP the other day. They were very influenced by the influx of holiday skiers who haven't the slightest clue how to ski bumps. ME seemed to avoid most of that.

I would strongly suggest catching the MadBus over to ME one of those mornings. It's more than worth it.

03-01-2007, 11:39 AM

Oh, then you'll miss the good bumps. Oh well. Here's what you'll miss:

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me1.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me2.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me3.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me4.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me5.jpg

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/me6.jpg

As a proficient bumper who has skied both LP and ME in the past week, the bumps at ME are SIGNIFICANTLY better. I really didn't have much fun in the bumps at LP the other day. They were very influenced by the influx of holiday skiers who haven't the slightest clue how to ski bumps. ME seemed to avoid most of that.

I would strongly suggest catching the MadBus over to ME one of those mornings. It's more than worth it.
Come on. Tell us how you really feel... ;)

I've skied ME. I just like LP better. I've only skied Sugarbush something like 6 days ever so I certainly haven't tired of LP yet. I'll also be skiing with a few people that aren't as whacky about bumps as I am. Finally, we're in Snowcreek which as you know is about as slopeside as it gets outside of Claybrook. Always tough to jump in the car or wait for the MadBus when you wake up and stare at the LP terrain. Finally, again, on family trips like this I usually ski in the am and head in to let my wife ski the PM. Even if the time it takes to get to ME only costs me a run or two, it's still, well.......a run or two... ;)

Who knows. The others may want to try ME which I'm certailny not opposed to. If we're having fun at LP, we might not even get over to MRG. Day by day and we'll play it by ear. I'm just giddy knowing I'll be up there for an extended stay...

BushMogulMaster
03-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Well, I guess I'm the opposite. I much prefer ME. Of course, again... it's kind of opposite... I live as close to slopeside at ME as it gets.

Snowcreek looks really nice. I've driven up through there.

Anyway, enjoy your time here. Looks like there will be plenty of good snow for you!

If you happen to make it to ME, let me know. I'll show you where the good stuff is!

03-01-2007, 12:04 PM
If you happen to make it to ME, let me know. I'll show you where the good stuff is!
Absolutely. I hope to have some Internet connectivity up there even if it's just dial-up...

Lostone
03-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Gatehouse now has WiFi. :wink:

kcyanks1
03-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Gatehouse now has WiFi. :wink:

Wifi on the lift? Cool :-) (Yes, I know you mean the lodge.)

shadyjay
03-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Anyone hear any wind predictions for Sat? I'm planning on hitting Jay on Sat and don't want the wind to be too much an issue, and heading to Mt Ellen on Sunday.

TimKeogh
03-01-2007, 05:57 PM
SNOW!

Tin Woodsman
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Anyone hear any wind predictions for Sat? I'm planning on hitting Jay on Sat and don't want the wind to be too much an issue, and heading to Mt Ellen on Sunday.

Winds out of the W and SW at 20-25 per the NWS forecast for the summits.

Forecasted at 45-50 mph tomorrow out of the SE, so wind holds will likely be a problem. Choose your terrain wisely on Saturday and Sunday.

HowieT2
03-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Absolutely. I hope to have some Internet connectivity up there even if it's just dial-up...

I think you can get onto a network from Snow Creek.

castlerock
03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
11:41 PM at South. It is 22F and there has been a dusting. Got up from MA at 11:00. Let's see if we catch lightning in a bottle again this season.

Tin Woodsman
03-02-2007, 12:29 AM
11:41 PM at South. It is 22F and there has been a dusting. Got up from MA at 11:00. Let's see if we catch lightning in a bottle again this season.

All you local or long weekend types - I would be most delighted if you would take a second to note the observations every so often. this storm appears to be uniquely unpredictable with respect to precip type and amount.

Sincerely,

The Weekend Warriors

ski_resort_observer
03-02-2007, 06:44 AM
6" at my place near the bottom of the access rd @ 6:45AM, snowing hard

castlerock
03-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Friends dark Roast....(Vermont Coffee Co).

7:45 AM 22F, Something like 6" at the base. Dumping, No wind....

It is going to be a good one

ski_resort_observer
03-02-2007, 08:12 AM
getting some strong winds the last 10 mins :cry:

03-02-2007, 08:15 AM
All you local or long weekend types - I would be most delighted if you would take a second to note the observations every so often. this storm appears to be uniquely unpredictable with respect to precip type and amount.

What he said...

CapeSkiGuy
03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Boston stations are showing ths snow/rain line a bit north of the predicted location...near the MA/NH border. On the radar, the snow appears to be stable over our part of VT.

I hate to say this, but I am not going to leave the Cape until early Saturday morning. This means that you folks will have to handle my share of the new snow on Saturday morning. Can anyone handle it?

noski
03-02-2007, 09:10 AM
ValleyCam is back up, plus Norm'sCam is still working strong.

03-02-2007, 09:20 AM
This looks GOOOOOOD:

FXUS61 KBTV 021408
AFDBTV

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
905 AM EST FRI MAR 2 2007

ALL WARNINGS WILL REMAIN IN PLACE AT THIS TIME.

.SHORT TERM /REST OF TODAY/...
VERY COMPLICATED AND COMPLEX WX SET UP ACRS OUR CWA THIS MORNING
WITH TRRN AND WARM ALOFT HAVING MAJOR IMPACTS ON SNOWFALL AMOUNTS
AND PRECIP TYPE. FIRST NOTE...EASTERN UPSLOPE REGIONS OF THE GREEN
MTNS FROM NEAR WALDEN TO NORTHFIELD TO LUDLOW HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED
4 TO 8 INCHES THIS MORNING. SEVERAL FACTORS HELPING TO CREATE HEAVY
SNOW AXIS ALONG THE EASTERN UPSLOPE REGIONS OF THE GREEN MTNS.
FIRST...MOIST/UPSLOPE FLW...THIS COMBINED WITH ENHANCED LLVL LIFT
HAS COOL COLUMN ENOUGH TO SUPPORT BETTER SNOW GROWTH AND GREATER
SNOWFALL AMOUNTS. WL MENTION STORM TOTALS BTWN 6 AND 12 INCHES ACRS
THIS REGION. MEANWHILE...DOWNSLOPING REGION OF THE CPV AND NORTHERN
CT RIVER VALLEY HAVE HAD JUST THE OPPOSITE OCCUR. THE DOWNSLOPING SE
FLW HAD ACTED TO DRY LOW LVLS AND WARM SFC TEMPS TO NEAR FREEZING
FROM RUTLAND TO BTV LINE THIS MORNING. MEANWHILE...SNOWFALL
ACCUMULATIONS HAVE RANGED FROM 1 TO 4 INCHES ACRS THE DOWNSLOPING
REGIONS OF THE CPV. FURTHERMORE...THE TRRN RISES AGAIN ON THE OTHER
SIDE OF LAKE CHAMPLAIN AND SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ONCE AGAIN INCREASE. SO
WL TRY TO SHOW UPSLOPE/DOWNSLOPE IMPACTS IN SNOWFALL AMOUNTS...BUT
GIVEN THERMAL PROFILES THIS WL BE VERY DIFFICULT...ESPECIALLY GIVEN
CRNT RADAR TRENDS.

RADAR SHOWS LARGE AREA OF PRECIP FROM SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS INTO
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VT MOVING TOWARD OUR FA. FEEL DURING THE
HEAVIEST PART OF THE PRECIP THE COLUMN WL COOL ENOUGH AGAIN TO
SUPPORT A BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ACRS MOST OF CENTRAL AND
NORTHERN VT AS WELL AS THE EASTERN ADIRONDACK MTNS ZNS...NEAR PLB.
CRNT OBS FROM VSF TO RUT SHOW VIS REDUCED BELOW 1/2SM IN MODERATE TO
OCCASIONAL HEAVY SNOW AND THINK THIS WL BE THE CASE FROM BTV AND PLB
OVER THE NEXT 1 TO 2 HRS. THIS BAND WL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO DROP
ANOTHER 1 TO 3 INCHES VERY QUICKLY ACRS CPV WITH SOME ISOLATED 4 OR
5 AMOUNTS IN THE FAVORABLE SE UPSLOPE REGIONS.

MEANWHILE...AFTER THE BAND MOVES THROUGH EXPECT DRYING CONDITIONS TO
DEVELOP AS MID/UPPER LVL DRY SLOTS WORKS ACRS REGION. WL JUST
MENTION AREAS OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN/DRIZZLE ACRS MOST LOCATIONS.
SOME WRAP AROUND MOISTURE MAY PRODUCE ANOTHER QUICK INCH OR TWO
LATER THIS AFTN/EVENING.

IN ADDITION...EXPECT STRONG SE DOWNSLOPING WINDS TO CONTINUE ALONG
THE SPINE OF THE GREEN MTNS. WE HAVE HAD SEVERAL REPORTS OF SUSTAIN
WINDS BTWN 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUST TO 50 MPH. THESE WINDS WL CONTINUE
FOR SEVERAL MORE HOURS.

atkinson
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
All snow so far. Dumping hard and over a foot already. Too good for words and too much snow to take the camera out in it. Go get it!

John

nelsapbm
03-02-2007, 11:32 AM
The radar says it's snowing in Burlington, but it's not. It precipitating, but it's not white. Supposed to change back this afternoon. But then again, who cares if it snows here? If it's snowing just east of here in the mts, then I'm cool with that!

gone.skiing
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Folks, thanks for updates. Any road info on 89 and 100? What are good traffic sites to monitor?

03-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Folks, thanks for updates. Any road info on 89 and 100? What are good traffic sites to monitor?

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=595

Yard Sale
03-02-2007, 12:01 PM

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=595

Try this one. I think the travel woes are supposed to lessen later this evening. At least that's when I'll be traveling. Happy Motoring!

http://67.106.3.242/default.asp?area=VT_statewide

gone.skiing
03-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks very much. Looks like a pleasant drive tonight... Hopefully one audio book on 10 CDs will cover it.

castlerock
03-02-2007, 12:27 PM
12:20 Still 22F. A foot+ here at the base. HG never opened and CR had to close due to wind. (but I got it) Still snowing, but a bit lighter. No real sleet yet. According to the radar, more snow is coming.

Fourwide
03-02-2007, 12:42 PM
12:40. Sleet/flurries at the base--light stuff at the moment. I'd say close to a foot on Gatehouse/North Lynx.

sugarboarder
03-02-2007, 03:21 PM
CR had to close due to wind. (but I got it)

Last ride was one of the scarier chair rides I'ver ever taken - at least the last 100 yards of it anyway!! We literally had to hold on to keep from geting blown off the chair! Boards and skis being blow straight vertical in front of us, hanging on to the back of the chair, bar being blown down when we tried to lift it - the just being blown right off the darn thing at the unload ramp...quite a ride!! :shock:

castlerock
03-02-2007, 04:39 PM
It turned to sleet/freezing drizzle/weirdness from 1:00 to 3:00, then back to all snow. Snowing now

win
03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I skied the Rock too just before it closed and the wind was incredible. From Birch run you heard a sound a jet engine and that was the wind blowing over the ridge line. Fortunately, the worst of it was to the West of the Green Mountains. There are too many observers on skimrv.com to tell you a grea trail that hardly got skied today and should be terrific again tomorrow I did it twice (once with John Egan), and it was sweet. Take a guess which one and I might tell you.

boze
03-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Middle Earth?

random_ski_guy
03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Cat's Meow.

I can see it now, Win (darth vader) and Egan (captain extreme), shredding 'da Cat.

:)

shadyjay
03-02-2007, 07:58 PM
I was down south today riding Okemo which was freakin awesome conditions - about 10" of freshies and it snowed heavy all morning/early afternoon. Why did I go that far south? I went to see some of my friends, one who lives down there, and the other "on a budget" with a Stratton/Okemo pass. We're going to Jay tomorrow (got some ultra-cheap discount tix) - should be sweet, haven't been there yet this season. Then if I have energy left, Mt Ellen on Sunday. If not, I'll be Bushin' it next weekend, Fri & Sun, maybe Sat too.

The drive wasn't bad, down south even the side roads were in pretty good shape as was 91 and most of 89. Worst part of 89 was between Bethel and Randolph, but even through Brookfield Heights, both lanes were clear. Kudos to VTrans.

sugarboarder
03-02-2007, 08:10 PM
I skied the Rock too just before it closed and the wind was incredible. From Birch run you heard a sound a jet engine and that was the wind blowing over the ridge line. Fortunately, the worst of it was to the West of the Green Mountains. There are too many observers on skimrv.com to tell you a grea trail that hardly got skied today and should be terrific again tomorrow I did it twice (once with John Egan), and it was sweet. Take a guess which one and I might tell you.

Rumble

win
03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
No one has it yet!

Lostone
03-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I'd have thought Rumble, too.

Guess I'll go for Castlerock Run, tho with the mad man, if not Rumble it shoud have to have been Liftline.

My thoughts are that I'd have gone for Castlerock Run, because the new snow, after the fairly recent grooming would have lead to a lot of fresh bumps, as opposed to those... more mature ones. That's where I'd have gone, were I to have made it over there, before they closed it.

Love helping in the making the fresh ones, like Domino, today.

What a day! :D

BushMogulMaster
03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Twist (Win never said it was on Castlerock, did he?)

win
03-03-2007, 12:59 PM
The Mall

sugarboarder
03-03-2007, 01:57 PM
The Mall

The woods between it and Stein's were PDG too!!