PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July Parade

noski
02-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I have some thoughts for a July 4 Theme for this year's parade/festivities, but would like to hear some creative ones here that I may consider.... Previous years included:
Liberty & Justice For AllMay the Fourth Be With YouThe Sacrifice of Liberty

Give me a theme that can be incorporated into floats. I'll give you a hint: I think I want it to center around lessening our dependence on fossil fuels. Power Struggle? Off The Grid? Keep It Clean? (you get the idea)

Edit to change thread title from 4th of July Theme to 4th of July Parade

ski_resort_observer
02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Energy Indepenence Day

noski
02-26-2007, 02:50 PM
:) Now you're cookin' with gas! :oops:

sugarboarder
02-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Happy Wind-dependence Day!

noski
02-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Happy Wind-dependence Day! Yea, then Sugarbush's float can be "Happy Win-dependence Day"! :wink:

smootharc
02-26-2007, 04:00 PM
"Big Oil Barbecue"

Slather 'em in BioDiesel, insert skewer, and turn slowly over a bed of glowing BioCoal (made from shredded and compressed recycled diapers and excess oil company profits) until tender and juicy. Yum.

I'll fire up the Hummer and bring the whole clan !

:lol:

Wind-dependence Day is a good one....if only VT could pass some of the projects on the table as noted in a thread here or AZ.

sugarboarder
02-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Happy Wind-dependence Day! Yea, then Sugarbush's float can be "Happy Win-dependence Day"! :wink:

No no - "Wind" dependence. :lol:

sugarboarder
02-26-2007, 04:16 PM
We could probably power a generator just from the wind and hot air generated on this forum!! :shock:

Strat
02-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Lean, Mean, Green Mountain Machine

Mike_451
02-27-2007, 12:45 AM
How about a float powered by a woodstove?

ski_resort_observer
02-27-2007, 07:45 AM

Unfortunately, burning wood for power is not a clean source of energy as it produces alot of pollution into the air. Think solar, hydro or wind. :D

BushMogulMaster
02-27-2007, 08:09 AM

Unfortunately, burning wood for power is not a clean source of energy as it produces alot of pollution into the air. Think solar, hydro or wind. :D

Aren't you forgetting one? ......... Matter/Antimatter! Warp Drive!

You see... that's the real solution to the world's energy crisis. Hone the power of the matter/antimatter intermix, and we're all good forever!!!

Where's Scotty when I need him? :wink:

freeheel_skier
02-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Cold Fusion :? Maybe a flux capacitor :shock:

ski_resort_observer
02-27-2007, 08:26 AM
:lol: I don't mean to say that the 3 I mentioned are the only sources of clean and green energy sources. Over the weekend there was a big alternative energy conference up in Montpelier. There are several other energy sources being discussed. The bottom line coming out of the conference was that to have any effect on the looming environmental disaster we have to replace 90% of our carbon based energy sources in the next 50 years to have any chance of changing the situation.

Your idea based on Star Trek is not as crazy as you might think. :D

In the beginning of the season there was alot of whining about the Gatehouse House Lodge not having a fireplace and the fireplace in Claybrook being propane. I applaud SV for thinking for the future and not producing more smoke pollution. After all, isn't clean air one of the many reasons people come to Vermont?

Strat
02-27-2007, 08:45 AM

Aren't you forgetting one? ......... Matter/Antimatter! Warp Drive!

You see... that's the real solution to the world's energy crisis. Hone the power of the matter/antimatter intermix, and we're all good forever!!!

Where's Scotty when I need him? :wink:
Captain, the dilithium crystals are overloaded... I don't know if she's going to make it!

sugarboarder
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM

What about "Bio-wood"?

ski_resort_observer
02-27-2007, 12:05 PM

What about "Bio-wood"?

I have heard of "bio-wood", neither has google or wilkepedia. Do you mean wood pellets for pellet stoves?

noski
02-27-2007, 12:06 PM

What about "Bio-wood"?

I have heard of "bio-wood", neither has google or wilkepedia. Do you mean wood pellets for pellet stoves?
Do you think he might be funnin' you?

ski_resort_observer
02-27-2007, 12:18 PM

What about "Bio-wood"?

Perhaps tin or lostone should move this to a thread about alternative energy as I don't want to hijack your thread anymore. :D

BTW, Yestermorrow School, just north of Mac's, just received a big state award for their committment and contribution to teaching innovative ways to the green way of building.

nelsapbm
02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
What time does the parade start? We always go to the outhouse races/parade in Bristol which start at 8 with the races, parade follows at 10ish. If the Warren parade is later, I'd like to pop over after Bristol.
FWIW, you all should go to the outhouses races at some point in your life. It's a riot.

noski
02-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Parade starts around 10am, whenever Clive decides to light the cannon. 10, 10:08, 10:12 somewhere around there.

ski_resort_observer
02-27-2007, 02:07 PM
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album03/cannon.jpg
Other pics from last years parade are here http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album03&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

noski
02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
LOL. I forgot about that picture. I am using that in PR this year. :lol:

sugarboarder
02-27-2007, 06:21 PM

What about "Bio-wood"?

Gee.......ya think?? 8)

skiladi
02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Definitely think the Al Gore " An Inconvenient Truth " theme should make an appearance in this year's parade with the Oscar and all. Gotta be some ideas in there somewhere.

sugarboarder
02-28-2007, 07:35 AM
Definitely think the Al Gore " An Inconvenient Truth " theme should make an appearance in this year's parade with the Oscar and all. Gotta be some ideas in there somewhere.

Please please please - NO NO NO!!! :shock:
Energy Independence - yes / Politics - no...this is a parade for everyone and to celebrate the birth of our nation. :)

noski
02-28-2007, 08:30 AM

Please please please - NO NO NO!!! :shock:
Energy Independence - yes / Politics - no...this is a parade for everyone and to celebrate the birth of our nation. :)

Politics?? In the Warren Parade?? Unheard of. :roll: You all are on the right track. Now for a catchy name.... I liked Wind-Dependence Day, but want to be more inclusive of other types of alternative energy.

Lostone
02-28-2007, 11:32 AM
More than just fun from the sun? 8)

freeheel_skier
02-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Fuel for the Future :wink:

noski
02-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Fuel for the Future :wink:

Mad River Valley: Fueling the Future....... hmmmm :?:

ski_resort_observer
02-28-2007, 07:46 PM
As far as the Warren Parade, no politics means no parade, it's the best part. :wink: Just check the pics from last year, the political floats were the best part, especially the Condi Rice one....lol The best overall float was, of course, the Sugarbush float, it wasn't even close.

sugarboarder
02-28-2007, 11:11 PM
As far as the Warren Parade, no politics means no parade, it's the best part. :wink: Just check the pics from last year, the political floats were the best part, especially the Condi Rice one....lol The best overall float was, of course, the Sugarbush float, it wasn't even close.

In that case - happy I missed it. I can only imagine. Remember, approximately half the people don't think it's funny. But if that's the way you want to celebrate the independence of our great country on the 4th of July, then have at it...I have a kayak race that day with some people who get it anyway. :wink:

Lostone
02-28-2007, 11:20 PM
How do you know half the people don't think it is funny if you weren't there? :roll:

I think that half went elsewhere. Maybe to be with people who get it? :lol:

sugarboarder
03-01-2007, 07:22 AM
How do you know half the people don't think it is funny if you weren't there? :roll:

I think that half went elsewhere. Maybe to be with people who get it? :lol:

You know what I mean...as evidenced by your second sentence.

What I "get" is that it is not funny to make fun of an intelligent, african-american, woman who is one of our country's leaders on a day that is supposed to celebrate what we all have here. Sorry, no thanks. But since we ARE in America you all have every right to do that of course. Just don't expect me, and others, to also find it funny.

Lostone
03-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Actually, poking fun at our leaders would be exactly what Independence Day is supposed to be.

Remember that during the war of Independence, there were conservatives, too. They were called Tories. They were in favor of the government, of the time. They were very upset when someone criticized the their king.

And I do expect most to find it funny. Check thru the pix SRO posted. There are a bunch of people there, and they had a great time. 8)

BushMogulMaster
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Actually, poking fun at our leaders would be exactly what Independence Day is supposed to be.

Remember that during the war of Independence, there were conservatives, too. They were called Tories. They were in favor of the government, of the time. They were very upset when someone criticized the their king.

And I do expect most to find it funny. Check thru the pix SRO posted. There are a bunch of people there, and they had a great time. 8)

I like the picture of Hardy with the skis in front of the Sugarbush float. Classic!

ski_resort_observer
03-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Sugar - I will first prefice this by saying at this point I have no clue whether your being serious or not, I might be old but I'm tough as nails so if I get more egg on my face I will just grab some salsa and have breakfast. :wink:

I honestly don't get how you can so worked up over an event you have never been too.

The overriding theme of the parade is to have fun. All political persuasions are represented, conservative to liberal. I liked the Condi Rice float not because of the political message but the amazing job the people who put it together did the creativity and most of all the humor. Laughter is definately the best medicine. For me the most thrilling moment came when those 2 F16 fighter jets from the Vermont National Guard buzzed the parade...twice. The power and grace and the flying ability of the pilots took my breath away.

Bummer you have a kayak race that day because I am willing to bet you would have a great time. :D

sugarboarder
03-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Sugar - I will first prefice this by saying at this point I have no clue whether your being serious or not, I might be old but I'm tough as nails so if I get more egg on my face I will just grab some salsa and have breakfast. :wink:

I honestly don't get how you can so worked up over an event you have never been too.

The overriding theme of the parade is to have fun. All political persuasions are represented, conservative to liberal. I liked the Condi Rice float not because of the political message but the amazing job the people who put it together did the creativity and most of all the humor. Laughter is definately the best medicine. For me the most thrilling moment came when those 2 F16 fighter jets from the Vermont National Guard buzzed the parade...twice. The power and grace and the flying ability of the pilots took my breath away.

Bummer you have a kayak race that day because I am willing to bet you would have a great time. :D

OK - I have the egg on my face...I said "no politics" and then promptly degenerated into some. I apologize to the Forum members for that. One thing though - I didn't say I have NEVER been to it, I said I didn't go LAST year. I've seen the parade and enjoyed it too. Again, it's hard to tell the spirit of a post on the 'net - I'm not "worked up" - I'm just stating my feelings about what seemed to me to be a reference to making fun of someone I respect...and you were just saying you liked the float, which I took and ran with in the wrong direction...my bad. I think my aversion to Al Gore got me going!

Everyone knows where I stand politically now, which is fine of course, so now we should all just go back to playing nice.

I'm not that bummed I have a race on the 4th - it's a great time with a big turkey roast afterwards on a private farm in Contoocook, NH. I really didn't find the Warren parade to my liking, just not my cup of tea. I'm used to the parades where I grew up which are more of the classic July 4th celebration, and don't include any political leanings one way or the other. F-16's are be good to see though - really echoes off the mountains around here (sorry Slide Brook bears!).

MntMan4Bush
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
More like "An IRONIC Truth" seeing how his mansion probably uses more energy in a month than my house in a year or instead of flying with everyone else on a commercial jet he uses a private jet just for one or a few people. Real conservative of energy.

Well to stay off of politics for now how about "GREEN Mountain Boys (and girls). Fighting the battle to save our planet"

Yard Sale
03-05-2007, 01:53 PM
More like "An IRONIC Truth" seeing how his mansion probably uses more energy in a month than my house in a year or instead of flying with everyone else on a commercial jet he uses a private jet just for one or a few people. Real conservative of energy.

Well to stay off of politics for now how about "GREEN Mountain Boys (and girls). Fighting the battle to save our planet"

Sounds like a little bit of O'Rielly's "No Spin". However, Gore's hypocracy doesn't diminish the validity nor the sadness of this truth.

MntMan4Bush
03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
O'Reilly..?..?. now thems seem like fighten words.......

My politcal orientation aside I can't argue that we all need to do our part to help preserve what we all care so much about and why we choose VT as either a home or a year round destination and not just a ski stop.

noski
03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
hijack! :wink: :roll:

MntMan4Bush
03-05-2007, 02:55 PM
My earlier post was legit. I suggested "Green Mountain Boys...." You know with the emphasis on Green. Wasn't trying to hijack. Apologies.

Yard Sale
03-05-2007, 03:47 PM
O'Reilly..?..?. now thems seem like fighten words.......

My politcal orientation aside I can't argue that we all need to do our part to help preserve what we all care so much about and why we choose VT as either a home or a year round destination and not just a ski stop.

Understood. MM4B, my aplogies. I didn't mean to come off as hostile nor judgemental, but apparently I did.

Scanning the radio dial last week on my way home from work and coincidentally O'Rielly was beating the drum about the irony of Gore's and his oversized carbon footprint. O'Reilly's act, attacking Gore as a hypocrit. Intentionally or not, he also seemed intent on underminig the validity of points made in that film. As you said, "we all need to do our part to help preserve what we all care so much about and why we choose VT as either a home or a year round destination and not just a ski stop." Clearly, we are all very fortunate on this forum to be able to enjoy this little slice of heaven, the MRV, and express our appreciatrion for it here.

sugarboarder
03-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh man - this could get ugly...I'll just go have some coffeee and keep my mouth shut...

Save the melting Martian Ice Caps!!

...well, maybe not! :lol:

Are floats concerned with the ecology of Mars allowed in the parade?? :shock:

MntMan4Bush
03-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I was just kidding Yardsale. No offense taken. People often take life to seriously when all they need to do is sit back and think about ripping bumps on Spillsville.

Don't get me too wrong SB. I think that global warming is a cyclical effect and may not be tied to humans as much as others would have you believe, but warming aside you can't deny how nature gets trashed and if being a bit green keeps VT beautiful and maybe at the same time preserves the enironment some then it's alright by me.

sugarboarder
03-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Don't get me too wrong SB. I think that global warming is a cyclical effect and may not be tied to humans as much as others would have you believe...

Zackly...I agree with you there...that's why I mentioned the diminishing Martian Ice Caps...too many cars on that planet! Earth temp changes are proven to be cyclical of course - but yes, as you point out, treating her with more respect when possible is never a bad thing. :)

noski
03-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Are floats concerned with the ecology of Mars allowed in the parade?? :shock: Encouraged. As long as there are no horses.

starkmtn
03-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Don't get me too wrong SB. I think that global warming is a cyclical effect and may not be tied to humans as much as others would have you believe...

Zackly...I agree with you there...that's why I mentioned the diminishing Martian Ice Caps...too many cars on that planet! Earth temp changes are proven to be cyclical of course - but yes, as you point out, treating her with more respect when possible is never a bad thing. :)

Climate change has indeed been a cyclic trend over the entire time for which there are data that can constrain global temperatures. It comes out looking much like a sine wave, with fairly minor variations in the amplitude. It's due to something called Milankovich cycles, which have to do with several factors that change fairly predictably over time, such as the tilt of Earth's axis. I won't bore the list with the details. However, analysis of the most recent upward trend in temperature indicates that the amplitude of that wave has surpassed former levels and is continuing to go up. There is correlation (though not necessarily causation) with the time frame after the Industrial Revolution brought widespread burning of fossil fuels. So it is a somewhat deceptive argument to claim that "humans don't cause global warming because the Earth naturally goes through warm cycles every so often." While the latter is true, it does _not_ preclude the former from being true as well.

noski
06-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I have quite a bit to update, so will hit the high points and send you to www.Warren4thofJuly.com and its "Latest News" link for details.

Theme: Fueling the Future
Entry: $1 with numbered Buddy Badge you wear and find your match in the crowd, maybe win a prize.
Music: Jimmy Yozell after the parade on Warren Store porch. Mad Mountain Scramblers at Brooks Field (elementary school)
Fireworks: At Sugarbush on July 4 at 9:30pm or so. Jimmy Yozell is playing an encore set from 6-9pm at Lincoln Peak.
Supporters:If you love the 4th as much as we do, consider a donation to help offset our expenses. Steve and I are volunteers, so we are just offsetting hard costs, including $thousands for fireworks. Consider a sponsorship via PayPal from the homepage of site. Pass this bit of info to others you may know who enjoy the 4th too!

There is alot more, so check out the site's Latest News Blog often!

Lostone
06-07-2007, 10:04 PM
So I go to the blog. I'm looking at the earlier entries. I come across,
Thursday, July 20, 2006
More photos - Jets included

I decide to check them out. Link is dead/ I look at the link. Jimsscenerypix...

:oops: Oops! :oops:

I'm running out of room on that system and deleted the album, not remembering that it was linked. :roll:

I just checked, and I still have those pix in a folder. If someone wants, I can reload the pix, but I think you'd still have to change your link.

Let me know.

skiladi
06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I just checked in for the update. :shock: I guess I was so busy skiing in late Feb. and March that I didn't realize I had started a politics/no politics debate...lol...
Al's "carbon footprint" may be larger as an individual than most of us and some reasons for that have been explained and addressed. When you speak out on an issue you become fair game for opposing views.
I merely enjoyed a well done documentary as did a lot of viewers and the film brought the issue of global warming to the forefront in a way no other medium could. As for politics and why this issue should be more than one person recycling and going solar or using wind , etc.

"In the 2000 presidential elections Exxon Mobil spent over $7 million supporting candidates and legislation that opposed the Kyoto Protocol and supported a National Energy Strategy that has increased our reliance on oil."

Also in 2000 :
Bush-47.87% popular vote Gore-48.38% popular vote

Just didn't want anyone to forget the figures obscured by the smokescreen. I'm no expert on the electoral college aside from knowing where a lot of the votes of said college abide , i.e. which states. Al Gore did receive a majority of the popular vote. ; }

noski
06-15-2007, 07:43 AM
We are looking to raise $5000 for the 4th of July via our website www.Warren4thofJuly.com If you love the fireworks on the 4th, consider a contribution and email the URL to your friends! Also, click "Latest News" for frequent parade updates.

Lostone
06-22-2007, 08:59 AM
I made my donation. How about everyone else? 8)

I don't know if you've ever worked on a mostly volunteer event, but they always need a little more help than they can get. If you can see it thru to donate a little toward what we all know is a fun time, I'm sure our non-skiing friend, as well as the others that are helping putting together the fun, would really appreciate it.

You can stop in at the chamber, send in a check or make a Paypal donation, on the site for the 4th. (http://www.warren4thofjuly.com/)

Thanx for your help. :)

Lostone
07-05-2007, 08:17 AM
So... What'd you think?

Only got to take in the parade, myself. I thought that went in quite well.

I have lots of pix. (Now there's a shocker! :roll: :lol: ) I'll be posting some of them, when I figure out where to post them.

What did everyone else think?

noski
07-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I had a fun time- despite the part of the job that is not so glamorous like cleaning the street of candy wrappers and misc. garbage, restocking port-o-let tp. I thought the festivities at the field were the best in several years- lots of fun and energy- and lots of people were up there and stayed quite a while.

I hope you (lostone) found your "real buddy"!

nelsapbm
07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Saw the piece on WCAX about the parade...is it always that "political", or did the media twist it to look that way?
I went to the Bristol Outhouse Races and parade which was fun as usual...too bad the MRV & Bristol events overlap as it would be fun to pop over the gap to see something different.

Lostone
07-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I did not see the WCAX piece, but I'd say there is always quite the political contingent.

Not speaking for all, but many of us enjoy that. 8)

When you think about it, a political bent to a celebration of our declaring independence from the greatest military power of the time? Yeah... seems right to me. :wink:

Lostone
07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I hope you (lostone) found your "real buddy"!

For those that don't know about this, I was innocently walking along, when I heard someone yelling "2773! 2773!"

That was the number of one of my buddy badges. I turn around, visions of great prizes in my mind... It was that damned noski! :x

I'm going to sue her for this! I was already spending the millions I'd made in the prize money. :cry:

Lostone
07-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Well, the pix are up. I think I got a few good ones. Here are a few:

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Warren_Parade_07/tPICT4167.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Warren_Parade_07/tPICT4140.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Warren_Parade_07/tPICT4116.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Warren_Parade_07/tPICT4245.jpg

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/Warren_Parade_07/tPICT4267c.jpg

Many more can be found here. (http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Warren_Parade_07&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php)

Suggestions for pic titles are welcome. :wink: