PDA

View Full Version : Burlington Free Press article: Perfect Day, PR nightmare

TimKeogh
02-26-2007, 07:50 AM
"Sugarbush practiced smart crisis management, said Lynn Gregory, assistant professor of public communication at the University of Vermont. Following a crisis plan is essential and so is communicating with the public.

If companies don't tell people what is going on, people will seek an explanation on their own and might get the wrong information. Once people have learned something, even if it's wrong, it is hard to change their thinking, Gregory said.

"Sometimes, the biggest thing is not the problem. It's how you deal with the problem," she said. "The public image of the organization is what you need to save even if it's a business expense."

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070226/BUSINESS/70226001/1003

:roll: No mention of JetBlue in this article, but the comparisons are rather obvious :roll:

outofshape
02-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Jet Blue is more akin to American Ski Company, not Sugarbush.

The lifts stopped turing for 45 min.

The planes for jet blue sat on the runway for 10 hours.

Please elaborate. I am a simple person.

Tin Woodsman
02-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Jet Blue is more akin to American Ski Company, not Sugarbush.

The lifts stopped turing for 45 min.

The planes for jet blue sat on the runway for 10 hours.

Please elaborate. I am a simple person.

Me thinks you're getting unnecessarily defensive about our beloved Bush here. It looks like Tim was looking to point out how Jet Blue unfavorably compared to SB's reaction to this PR nightmare. Good article by the Freep in detailing what happened and what could be done better next time.

aejkb
02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
We were eating lunch at Valley House (please don't tear it down)when the power went out. Soon thereafter Adam Greshin? arrived stood on a table and announced what had happened and gave us as much information that he had, including a frank admission that he had never heard of the type of problem being reported. Everyone rightfully applauded in gratitude . It was with that info that we called it a day, saving ourselves from a lot of frustrating waiting around. I'll blast the when they screw up and give them props when they do good--they did good.

ski_resort_observer
02-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Soon thereafter Adam Greshin? arrived stood on a table and announced what had happened and gave us as much information that he had, including a frank admission that he had never heard of the type of problem being reported. Everyone rightfully applauded in gratitude .

Adam is one of the 3 partners who make-up Summit Ventures. I saw him directing traffic on the access rd in front of exit of the overflow lot at the Warren House helping the jitney's get back on the access rd during the holiday weekend. Last Saturday a VP was driving a jitney, driver called in sick, not as easy of a job as it might look on a busy day around the parking lots. Having management pitch in when needed on a regular basis is a great thing on several levels. :D

BushMogulMaster
02-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Good article. I think the situation was handled as well as it could have been given the circumstances. Information was distributed well and in a timely fashion, and decisions were made. Good work!

win
02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Just so everyone knows! Adam made the call to issue a full day voucher when I was with GMP at the Substation. It is good having partners who have the same philosophy about the business and can make decisions in a timely fashion. Hardy Merrill and his entire mountain team did a marvelous job of getting people safely off the lifts as quickly as possbile, and I was very proud of our entire team and how they all pitched in and rallied in a very trying situation.

TimKeogh
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Me thinks you're getting unnecessarily defensive about our beloved Bush here. It looks like Tim was looking to point out how Jet Blue unfavorably compared to SB's reaction to this PR nightmare. Good article by the Freep in detailing what happened and what could be done better next time.

Thanks Woody (May I call you that ? Is it appropriate?). You got me right, rather terse...

But the fact remains:

I was flying to Raleigh, NC 5 days after the storm and had to pay an additional $150 for a one-way ticket on US-Air, due to JetBlues failures.

(If) I was skiing on 2/14 at Sugarbush, I would have received a essentially a full refund, for influences outside of SB's control.

I have emailed Needleman my concerns, as I am a JetBlue loyalist - including the Freep article.

Win - if he calls you for some free advice, please ask for some more JFK-BTV flights in return !!!!!

Me thinks Needleman will never read my email, but Win will read this post.

Shorty Anvil
02-26-2007, 10:37 PM
I only visit SB a handful of times a year, but seeing this, seeing how y'all dealt with it, had me filled with pride. Huzzah.