PDA

View Full Version : 2/24/07

kcyanks1
02-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Where: Mad River Glen
Date: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 10am - 3pm, a Powerbar on the lift for lunch because of the short ski day.
General Conditions: Mostly packed powder on the un-groomed trails; packed powder, windblown on the groomed parts
Weather: The thermometer at the top of the Sunnyside double was stuck at 25 F, but I don't believe it. My guess was upper teens. It was windy -- the chair ride was pretty uncomfortable in the exposed area from around the bird cage until it closes up.

Report: The single was on wind hold all day, unfortunately, so I was stuck with the Sunnyside double. While it was disappointing not to get to ski Chute/Fall Line/Paradise (and perhaps something off them, if I could get directions), I had plenty to keep me busy and was plenty sore by the end, which I guess means I had fun :-) It was only my fifth day at MRG, and only my 3rd where the mountain was really skiable, but it reminded me why I consider it as favorite despite having only limited experience there.

Over the course of the day we hit Gazelle, Slalom Hill, Partridge, Panther, Upper and Lower Canyon, Ferret, Moodys, a small section of Liftline, and couple woods runs in the vicinity of one of the Quackys. Most of the trails had similar conditions - pretty soft bumps that I'd qualify as packed powder. Not too much loose snow, but no ice or hard spots between the bumps. Very enjoyable skiing. There were some sketchy spots on the Gazelle headwall (as I think is normal), the part of Liftline I was on (as I think is also normal) and the entrance to Panther, if I remember correctly, but the coverage, as to be expected after the big storm, overall was excellent. I recall Panther (except the way top) having especially nice snow and Canyon was probably overall harder (probably because it was more exposed to the wind). The small spot I had on Liftline had much harder bumps, but it was also my last run of the day and I wasn't as energetic as earlier. In the woods I did hit some powder, but nothing deep, though that is to be expected as I stuck to lines with clear tracks as to not get myself lost.

As good as I could've hoped aside from the Single being closed, and a great first day in VT for me this year. I'm always amazed at how perfect the shapes of the bumps are on MRG (by perfect meaning I have fun skiing them, and do them well by my own standards).. Next day it was on to Stowe..

BushMogulMaster
02-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I could have fun for an entire day just on the Sunnyside Double. There's some great terrain over there. Of course, it's always fun to be able to get over to Paradise, C-Bowl, Churte, Fall Line, Lift Line, etc. But hey, Sunnyside Double works for me on a windy day!

kcyanks1
02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I could have fun for an entire day just on the Sunnyside Double. There's some great terrain over there. Of course, it's always fun to be able to get over to Paradise, C-Bowl, Churte, Fall Line, Lift Line, etc. But hey, Sunnyside Double works for me on a windy day!

Yup, and I did have fun ... It's the terrain off the single that I always think about, but the double has some really good stuff too.