PDA

View Full Version : ASC Killington Sale Final

Mike_451
02-24-2007, 01:48 AM
http://news.alpinezone.com/14003/

I guess the demise of ASC has happened, a good thing, or bad thing, I have no idea :? I didn't realize this happened 4 days ago, but obviously it is nothing new, and no suprise. Not alot of discussion going on AZ but then again it has all prety much been discussed the heck out of in the past. Anyway, I hope All For One Pass holders don't end up getting burned by this, and that this is positive for the individual resorts, as their employees and towns depend on their existence and financial health.

shadyjay
02-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Well there's at least one outcome of all this...........
The era of cheap season passes to multiple mountains has ended. I doubt the All For One pass will be offered next year to all the resorts formerly part of ASC. It was a deal at $350, being valid 7 days a week and all. I scrapped it this year and went with a Bush pass, though I was an A41 passholder for 2 years and it was a deal.

Can't see these resorts having a cheap pass offer, since they'll all be individually operated.

Mike_451
02-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Unless they come up with some kind of a deal, but I think they will be competing with each other alot more now.

ski_resort_observer
02-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Nothing is final until after the end of ASC's current quarter, April 30th. Powdr's goal will be to try to bring back the people who went eleswhere as a result of the A41. The resort's that benefitted the most from the A41 are Okemo and Stratton. A couple of shoes have yet to fall regarding SR and the Loaf. BTW, ASC's stock soared 300% last week. The Bush was an ASC resort when the stock IPO'd.

Strat
02-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Even more: Otten resigns.

http://timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070226/NEWS/70226002

Tin Woodsman
02-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Well of course. You can't sell 2/5 of your business to a member of the board. Obvious conflict of interest there.

Mike_451
02-27-2007, 12:47 AM

A Real Shocker :shock:

Strat
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
From another forum:

"To: All ASC Employees
Date: 2/20/07
Re: Sale of Killington and Pico
It is with mixed emotions that I inform you that we have entered into a definitive agreement to sell the Killington and Pico resorts. We had hoped to announce this transaction simultaneously with Mount Snow and Attitash, however extended negotiations prevented us from doing so.

As was the case with our other recently announced sales, this decision was not made in haste nor ever taken lightly. Since our real estate restructuring in 2004, it became apparent that future real estate development at Killington and the resort operations would be best controlled by a single owner. Our ongoing discussions with SP Land and their current interest in the real estate at Killington led to their purchase of the Killington and Pico resorts for $83.5 million, plus $2 million of capital leases as well as other liabilities.

Though challenging from a personal and professional perspective, it is in the company’s best interest to realize the opportunities created by the performance of our resorts and the current favorable market conditions. While parting with the Killington and Pico teams will be difficult for many of us, the value created for the company’s stakeholders is tremendous and will leave us with substantial liquidity to focus on our remaining operations in Maine and Utah. As I wrote to you on Friday, the sale of five of our resorts will have a significant impact on our organization. I want to reiterate that we are aware of these impacts, and we will be meeting with employees as soon as possible to discuss these changes.

The transaction is expected to close by the end of April. Concurrent with the closing, SP Land and Powdr Corp. will have formed a new venture to operate Killington and Pico. Powdr Corp., based in Park City, UT, is an established operator of six winter resorts in the western U.S. Prior to the close of the sale, Killington and Pico and all of our other resorts will continue to operate under the normal course of business without interruption. We will work with the SP Land and Powdr teams during this period to facilitate a smooth transition at Killington and Pico.

With winter a bit late in arriving in the East, many guests will be arriving for the first time at our resorts in the coming days. Our guests have come to expect a very high standard of each of our resorts, and we will continue to offer the same service that has become of hallmark of ASC. Again, I am counting on your professionalism, consideration and support as we work through this transition period. Thank you.

B.J. Fair
President and CEO"

sugarboarder
02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
From another forum:

.............Our guests have come to expect a very high standard of each of our resorts...............

B.J. Fair
President and CEO"

Really???

BushMogulMaster
02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
From another forum:

.............Our guests have come to expect a very high standard of each of our resorts...............

B.J. Fair
President and CEO"

Really???

Yeah... um... I'm not really seeing it. I don't expect a high standard at any ASC areas, because they clearly haven't performed to those standards.

sugarboarder
02-27-2007, 08:46 PM
From another forum:

B.J. Fair
President and CEO"

Really???

Yeah... um... I'm not really seeing it. I don't expect a high standard at any ASC areas, because they clearly haven't performed to those standards.

This is part of their problem - as with many businesses. The upper management preaches "high standards" but then has no idea how to make it happen. Their egos are too big to admit they aren't making it happen. They treat their employees like dirt and blame any problems on them, then they get miserable employees, and the "high standards" go down the toilet.

I've alwyas felt that if a business wants a high standard of "guest service" that first they must implement a high standard of "employee service".

BushMogulMaster
02-27-2007, 09:01 PM
From another forum:

B.J. Fair
President and CEO"

Really???

This is part of their problem - as with many businesses. The upper management preaches "high standards" but then has no idea how to make it happen. Their egos are too big to admit they aren't making it happen. They treat their employees like dirt and blame any problems on them, then they get miserable employees, and the "high standards" go down the toilet.

I've alwyas felt that if a business wants a high standard of "guest service" that first they must implement a high standard of "employee service".

Yes. Well put.

Strat
03-11-2007, 12:07 PM
And now the Maine resorts are gonna go...

http://timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070311/BUSINESS/703110337/1006/BUSINESS

Interesting that Les might want to buy them back independently...

Mike_451
03-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Makes sense, and afterall Les basicly built Sunday River