PDA

View Full Version : Found this link on the Boston Globe home page

Nick Danger
02-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Ski Guru?

http://www.explorenewengland.com/travel/explorene/specials/ski/blog/2007/02/sugarbush_vt_po.html

Strat
02-22-2007, 08:40 AM
"Spring News: Keeping South Basin Open for this spring instead of North (Mount Ellen).

Repeat - - - Keeping South Basin open instead of north!

New England has not had lifts spinning over this terrain on a warm April day in many years!"

This is confirmed??

...South Basin? It hasn't been called that in twenty years...

Nice find Senor Danger.

shadyjay
02-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Also interesting in that article/blog/whatever........... the Mall Double.

So it looks like I have the name for the new chair in my proposed 07-08 map.... forget the Clay Brook Chair....
let's take a ride on the MUBBLE! I like, I like.

win
02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Interesting! I guess I will make it official. We will keep Lincoln Peak as the late mountain this year. That is why we blew extra snow on Stein's, Snowball, Spring Fling and Coffee Run. We will try to last through April! We think the new base area will be a great spring party venue. All ME season passes will be honored this year at LP after ME closes since many assumed that ME would be the later mountain when the passes were purchased.

Tin Woodsman
02-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Interesting! I guess I will make it official. We will keep Lincoln Peak as the late mountain this year. That is why we blew extra snow on Stein's, Snowball, Spring Fling and Coffee Run. We will try to last through April! We think the new base area will be a great spring party venue. All ME season passes will be honored this year at LP after ME closes since many assumed that ME would be the later mountain when the passes were purchased.

Is there an echo in here?

Sincerely,

Evil TWin Woodsman

sugarboarder
02-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Does this mean the upstairs bar at Valley House will be open for one last SPRING FLING???? 8)

shadyjay
02-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Awesome news Win! Thx ...

-Jay

freeheel_skier
02-22-2007, 09:32 PM

Does this mean the upstairs bar at Valley House will be open for one last SPRING FLING???? 8)

VH for Sprin Fling! :shock: That would be nice! :D Wouldn't hold my breath. :cry: This is definately for Clay Brook. :roll:

ME is better in the spring time(IMHO)......C'Mon people. Besides there is nothing better than having a beer @ the Glenn House before downloading :D

Just hope LP holds the snow :(

BushMogulMaster
02-22-2007, 09:50 PM
ME is better in the spring time(IMHO)......C'Mon people. Besides there is nothing better than having a beer @ the Glenn House before downloading :D

I agree! Can't beat FIS in late April. Just look at this:

http://64.78.40.153/images/uploaded/photo_gallery/04302006fis3.jpg

http://64.78.40.153/images/uploaded/photo_gallery/04302006fis2.jpg

http://64.78.40.153/images/uploaded/photo_gallery/04302006fis1.jpg

http://64.78.40.153/images/uploaded/photo_gallery/fiswedbumps.jpg

http://64.78.40.153/images/uploaded/photo_gallery/fiswed.jpg

I understand the move, considering Claybrook, et. al. But I just don't think you can ever make the same spring skiing atmosphere on the South side. Stein's just doesn't do it for me, sorry! MT ELLEN SPRING SKIING: LIVE LONG, AND PROSPER! :wink:

Just hope LP holds the snow :(

I'm definitely concerned about this. Very concerned. But a lot of snow was blown, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Win: I have a hypothetical for you. Let's assume, for the moment, that April 6th (or whatever the last day at ME is) rolls around and ME is still nearly 100% open with decent coverage. The Saturday/Sunday numbers at ME are still in the 1500+ range. Do you keep it open, or just leave all that great snow sitting there? Just curious! It may have something to do with the fact that I live at the base of ME, not the base of LP! :wink: :lol:

freeheel_skier
02-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Logistically, hypothetically, realistically, logically....ME holds the snow better. :? Really, what gives :?:

kcyanks1
02-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I generally prefer South, but I think North has the perfect set-up for late-season skiing with the high elevation summit lift and GMX available for downloading. I guess, though, if the goal is only to get through April, rather than into May, the snow preservation isn't quite as important.

freeheel_skier
02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I generally prefer South, but I think North has the perfect set-up for late-season skiing with the high elevation summit lift and GMX available for downloading. I guess, though, if the goal is only to get through April, rather than into May, the snow preservation isn't quite as important.

That is exactly what "they" are thinking.....what happend to quality of product???? It counts when making snow....what about when skiing it come spring time?

Lostone
02-22-2007, 10:28 PM
North is ahead, but only 14 * 11 in this poll (http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=738), but I'm one who voted for South.

Stein's is good, but I like Ripcord more than FIS. And I've had a bunch of spring flings on Spring Fling in May, before.

They're both great mountains, on their own, but I like South better. 8)

sugarboarder
02-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Clay Brook - "Muffy, we can't be SEEN riding the bus!"

freeheel_skier
02-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Clay Brook - "Muffy, we can't be SEEN riding the bus!"

:shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock:

BushMogulMaster
02-22-2007, 10:38 PM
North is ahead, but only 14 * 11 in this poll (http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=738), but I'm one who voted for South.

Lostone: I feel like I need to point at that, while these polls are great for us to look at, they are by no means representative of the entire market Sugarbush is marketing for. In this forum, we've voted (yes, by a somewhat small margin) for Mt. Ellen. Of course, I'd love to see ME as the spring skiing spot... I think it's absolutely perfect. But I think we'll just need to watch this year play out. Maybe the response will be great, and South will become the new long-standing spring mountain. Maybe not. I also need to point out that, in the past (I don't know exactly what years, so don't ask :wink: ), the Bush has tried to keep LP as the spring mountain, and it never worked... the response wasn't great, and the skiing was definitely not as good. But again, we'll just have to watch and see what happens this year. I personally don't think it will work as well over on the South side, and next year, we'll be back on FIS April 30th. Who knows.

Lostone
02-22-2007, 11:02 PM
WHAT???? :shock: The polls on SkiMRV are NOT representative of the whole market?? :shock:

Blasphemy! (Or is it heresy? :? ) :wink:

As for the response, I spoke to many that love South in the spring. ( And no... They weren't sitting around the fireplace in the old Gatehouse Lodge :lol: )

I think the response was not bad because of the late mountain being South, but because the late skiing always has a poor response. And that is sad. When you think of what we have when we open, and everyone is going crazy, and what we have when we close, and people just don't come up... :roll:

But you are right... We'll see. :wink:

Treehugger
02-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Ripcord more than FIS? Sooooo, you're not a bump skier, then?

Stein's is good, but I like Ripcord more than FIS. And I've had a bunch of spring flings on Spring Fling in May, before.

Tin Woodsman
02-23-2007, 12:03 AM

It's not about which mountain is better. It's about which mountain is a more appropriate late season venue. All of the Summit pod is at 3000' or above and it all faces N or NE. You've got the GMX for downloading and the perfect atmosphere with the Glen house and deck.

Not one iota of the spring skiing at LP will be above 3000' and anyone who wants to take it all in over a frosty adult beverage will do so facing a wall of rocks. Yay!

This is a bad move from a pure skiing perspective - I'm not sure how this can be argued. It's clearly meant as a benefit for CB owners. Guess that pays the bills and such, but it's antithetical to a long, quality spiring skiing season.

boze
02-23-2007, 12:32 AM
When you think of what we have when we open, and everyone is going crazy, and what we have when we close, and people just don't come up... :roll:

Shhhhhhh!!!!

:wink:

Strat
02-23-2007, 07:23 AM
I don't know if I can blame them really, with the advent of the Clay Brook and so many customers who have becomed accustomed to it, it would be actually turning away customers to shut down that facility. Will the snow quality/cover/be quite as good? Probably not, but SV has already suprised us with great things this year... let's wait and see if this move isn't a home run (or at least, a solid double).

BushMogulMaster
02-23-2007, 08:06 AM
It's not about which mountain is better. It's about which mountain is a more appropriate late season venue. All of the Summit pod is at 3000' or above and it all faces N or NE. You've got the GMX for downloading and the perfect atmosphere with the Glen house and deck.

Not one iota of the spring skiing at LP will be above 3000' and anyone who wants to take it all in over a frosty adult beverage will do so facing a wall of rocks. Yay!

This is a bad move from a pure skiing perspective - I'm not sure how this can be argued. It's clearly meant as a benefit for CB owners. Guess that pays the bills and such, but it's antithetical to a long, quality spiring skiing season.

Tin.. I do believe you read my mind! You just articulated it better than I would have.

I won't deny the possibility that spring skiing at South will be great, and a huge hit. However, it is still my strong belief that North is, by quite a long shot, a better general venue for spring skiing. I know I personally won't spend as much time on the hill through April, because it's not worth it to me to use the gas to get over there for that spring product. Right now, I ski every day. In April, maybe I'll ski weekends. We'll see. But then... I'm not paying the bills for SV... I've got a season pass. The only money they'll really make off of me is in F&B.

freeheel_skier
02-23-2007, 08:10 AM
I don't know if I can blame them really, with the advent of the Clay Brook and so many customers who have becomed accustomed to it, it would be actually turning away customers to shut down that facility. Will the snow quality/cover/be quite as good? Probably not, but SV has already suprised us with great things this year... let's wait and see if this move isn't a home run (or at least, a solid double).

A solid double? :lol: :lol: More like being robbed of a HR by Matsui in the 9th inning :shock:

madhavok
02-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Sugarbush isn't just for the personal use of Clay Brook residents. And it is a fact ME is the better mountain for early and late skiing. Why make a decision to keep LP open just so CB residents don't have to ride the shuttle?

MntMan4Bush
02-23-2007, 09:32 AM
My biggest concern is how can they recreate the feeling of sitting out in the sun with a Long Trail in hand on the ME Deck watching a bunch of kids on the pipe (or this year jib park. I can't believe I just used the word "jib" in a sentance by the way.) I can think of no better way to end a season. I really enjoy the "old school" atmosphere of the deck. But now there is no deck, no sunning area, and no skiing entertainment to watch. Maybe I'll just go grab a sixer and sit out on the Glenn deck by myself.

BushMogulMaster
02-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Maybe I'll just go grab a sixer and sit out on the Glenn deck by myself.

I'll meet you there. We'll hike and ski FIS, and then retire to the Glen House deck.

MntMan4Bush
02-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a plan. We may have to do it about 50 times though to get it nice and bumped up, but that will just make the LT taste that much sweeter. Maybe even better we could get a whole crew of people to do it and get a keg and bring up a grill.

BushMogulMaster
02-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a plan. We may have to do it about 50 times though to get it nice and bumped up, but that will just make the LT taste that much sweeter. Maybe even better we could get a whole crew of people to do it and get a keg and bring up a grill.

Hmmm... now you have me thinking. I know how to operate a chairlift... couldn't be too hard to break into the bottom shack of Summit. We'll just run it for us. Hike to Glen House, ride Summit all day. Win will never notice the extra electric cost! And I can operate a snowcat to push around the snow when it starts to disappear! --Don't worry Win, I'm just kidding :wink: :lol: We'll hike!

Of course, the good thing about just skiing FIS (once you get there) is that it's only a few hundred vertical feet to hike to do it again!

MntMan4Bush
02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
You is talking loco and I like it...

How about though, just putting this out there, at the end of the season for ME they bring in the cats and sculpt a bump run right there were the half pipe used to be. Since they're not using the rest of the mountain for skiing they won't need all that snow for anything else so they can build it up a bit. Don't turn on the chair, we can hike up and ski down. They break out a grill and some kegs on Saturdays only and get you a few bucks a beer and now they're making some F&B with minimal expense. It may not have too steep a pitch, but it could be fun just messing around on a nice spring day in the sun. I just can't let go of the deck. Can't do it. Won't do it.

BushMogulMaster
02-23-2007, 12:31 PM
You is talking loco and I like it...

How about though, just putting this out there, at the end of the season for ME they bring in the cats and sculpt a bump run right there were the half pipe used to be. Since they're not using the rest of the mountain for skiing they won't need all that snow for anything else so they can build it up a bit. Don't turn on the chair, we can hike up and ski down. They break out a grill and some kegs on Saturdays only and get you a few bucks a beer and now they're making some F&B with minimal expense. It may not have too steep a pitch, but it could be fun just messing around on a nice spring day in the sun. I just can't let go of the deck. Can't do it. Won't do it.

I'll take a bump course!

Now here's an idea, though... since there will still be tons of snow on Inverness when ME closes, push all of the snow on the lower half into a bump course. Not too much hiking, nice sunny skiing, enough pitch, watch it from the deck! Can't beat it!

MntMan4Bush
02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Even better. Much better pitch. How could they go wrong with that? Imagine grills going with burgers and dogs, a couple of kegs rolled out. SB taking in some cash without even having to spin a chair and a group of people humping up the trail to hit some soft buttery mash potato bumps in the sun. Well I have my spring planned if it happens.

sugarboarder
02-23-2007, 01:56 PM

Now you and BMM are talking...I'm in!!

BushMogulMaster
02-23-2007, 05:06 PM
I'll do it, even without any help from the mountain. I have a way to get the bump course done. Don't worry!

And, hey, if we can't get any F&B from the Bush, we can all just chip in and bring something!

MntMan4Bush
02-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a picnic. I'm in. We'll just have to watch out for those pesky rangers.

BushMogulMaster
02-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Sounds like a picnic. I'm in. We'll just have to watch out for those pesky rangers.

:lol:

But Yogi... Mr. Ranger won't like that very much!