PDA

View Full Version : Grooming of bump trails

Strat
02-20-2007, 07:36 AM
According to the snow report, FIS was groomed last night... was it in dire need or is that gonna bug a lot of people?

On the topic, what's the general opinion on grooming the bumps? Let them be even when they're rock hard or groom them out and wait for another snowfall to bring them back?

BushMogulMaster
02-20-2007, 07:50 AM
According to the snow report, FIS was groomed last night... was it in dire need or is that gonna bug a lot of people?

On the topic, what's the general opinion on grooming the bumps? Let them be even when they're rock hard or groom them out and wait for another snowfall to bring them back?

FIS was definitely winched last night... I watched it as I drove up to my place. Skier's right was in dire need, and the top middle was in dire need, and most of the very bottom were in dire need. Now, skier's left right along the tree line was absolutely perfect. But hey, I suppose it needed to be done. Between the snowmaking hydrants and the trees should still be good. Most of it will bump up again pretty quickly, except the really icy parts which will just ski off.

For the most part, unless the bumps are really bad and almost dangerous (or there's another logical reason), it's my experience that trying to hold off and give them a chance is better than grooming. If you flatten them out when they're hard and icy, you get hard and icy corduroy. Instead of bumping up nicely again, this often just skis right off and makes an even more dangerous steep and icy trail. This shouldn't be the case with FIS since there was plenty of new snow up there, but I know it definitely put a hurt on Exterm last year.

BushMogulMaster
02-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Looks like Lower FIS is on the radar for tonight. EEEEEEK!!! Please no!!!!!!!!

win
02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Grooming trails like FIS is to made sure we make them last in as good condition as possible. The middle of FIS was hard and grooming it out with this week's forecast of new snow make a lot of sense since it will bump up quickly and ski much better.

BushMogulMaster
02-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Grooming trails like FIS is to made sure we make them last in as good condition as possible. The middle of FIS was hard and grooming it out with this week's forecast of new snow make a lot of sense since it will bump up quickly and ski much better.

Agreed, but I'm still confused about Lower FIS?

win
02-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Grooming Ripcord tonight and hopefully snow the next couple of days! Sunrise today was awesome!

ski_it
02-22-2007, 09:37 AM
what's the bump/natural trail grooming tally since the storm? I saw the following-- North: FIS and Lower FIS South: Ripcord, Moonshine, Sunrise. Any others?

BushMogulMaster
02-22-2007, 10:01 PM
what's the bump/natural trail grooming tally since the storm? I saw the following-- North: FIS and Lower FIS South: Ripcord, Moonshine, Sunrise. Any others?

Your list + half of Cliffs (although that's man-made snow) and Semi-Tough :shock:

I was so frustrated when I went over to hit Semi-Tough that I absolutely straight-lined the whole thing. I've never been so mad while skiing in my life! It actually had great soft lines on each of the little headwalls, and was definitely a whole lot of fun. Couldn't deal with making turns on it flat. Only turned when trees got in my way. :evil: :x :evil: :x I could deal with FIS, that made sense. Lower FIS was a stretch, but ok, fine. Semi-Tough? Why? ME has tons and tons of blue-square cruisers. In fact, some of the best cruisers in the east. But Semi-Tough is a classic New England trail: skinny, turny, and natural snow. Unless it is an absolute mess, it just simply should not be groomed. And I can definitely say that is was NOT a mess. In fact, it was some of the best skiing on the hill. Grooming it takes away a significant amount of it's character.

Oh well... life will go on. However, I will definitely make a scene if any of the following trails are groomed unless ABSOLUTELY necessary: Exterm, Bravo, Hammerhead, Tumbler, or Encore. If feel pretty safe about Black Diamond. I'm not sure you could even fit a cat up there, let alone find something to attach the winch to :lol: . I'd like to see the bumps stay on skiers' left of Cliffs, but that's not QUITE as important as the others. Although, it's definitely fun to zipper-line under a lift and get some applause and cheers! :D

sugarboarder
02-22-2007, 10:28 PM
And keep the cat OUT of the pipe - for god's sake. :evil:

MntMan4Bush
02-23-2007, 09:49 AM
And none of that stinkin rut beer....

From a LP point of view I'd hate to see Twist and Spillsville chomped.

sugarboarder
02-23-2007, 01:51 PM
There was some rut beer spilled on the NASTAR course today...Yellow course got so bad it became dangerous and they closed it at noon. don't know why, but Green held up MUCH better.

win
02-23-2007, 04:25 PM
This is incredible snow for general skiing and riding and not great for racing! It is still very soft. Get in the course early and cruise the rest of the day!

t

sugarboarder
02-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Agreed - but Green course actually raced pretty well today. :)

I'd love to cruise, but I have a NorAm March 10-11, and USASA Nationals April 2-6...sorry, no let up, no slowing down, no backing off. Gotta keep the edge I've gained with 21 races the last thirty days. 8)

So...when are we gonna get out the water truck and hose down Spring Fling?? :wink: