PDA

View Full Version : Avi warnings

noski
02-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Weather service folks warning of avalanche danger for back country skiing/hiking in Vermont. Be careful and be smart!

atkinson
02-15-2007, 12:20 PM
I mentioned earlier this week that this was going to be a concern. I got several features to fracture yesterday and know that there are some spots in the woods that could go big, or at least big enough to hurt or bury. If you aren't sure of your skills or don't know what to look for, it's better to stay on lower angle stuff for now.

The other major issue to be aware of is tree-wells and hollow spots. If you wander into the trees, keep your friends close, so you can help each other out of jams.

Also, in light of the rescue last night, if you don't know where you are going, don't go. If you are going anywhere off-piste that requires either a big traverse or a long runout, I highly recommend gear that allows you to walk easily, i.e. telemark, AT, snowshoes or splitboards and climbing skins. Walking around off-piste is currently impossible without this gear.

Stay safe and enjoy!

John

Hardbooter
02-15-2007, 12:24 PM
What rescue are you talking about?

Does anyone know which way the wind has been blowing? Have some areas been wind loaded?

atkinson
02-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Two kids were rescued out of Slide Brook at 8:30pm last night, after 6 hours of searching. Postholing is no way to travel. They were charged for their rescue too. Personal responsibility is a good thing.

John

djspookman
02-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I can vouch for the tree-well gremlins attacking.. got sucked in a few yesterday, wound up upside down, took a while to dig myself out. scary stuff for sure, made me glad to be skiing with a friend!

I to had a few things fracture one me out in the woods yesterday. nothing huge, but big enough to cover someone on the receiving end!

take care out there!

dave

Biff, Paris-France
02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Yesterday afternoon MRG, cutting from FallLine over to Paradise, following a single track thru a tight section of Spruce tree tops, had to throw a sudden stop in to deal with terrain feature, as soon as I stopped everything gave out below me, lots of snow on top of 3-4 foot spruce trees, threw me off balance to the downhill side. Suddenly there I was up to my armpits in snow. I managed to get my feet/skis onto a branch. hung there for a while figuring what to do next. Used one foot/ski to push down on heel binding and release, used poles to grab hold of that ski, pull it up to the surface and then did same with other ski . Now with both skis clamped together thrown uphill and across the fall line while moving my feet up to higher branches on the spruce tree crawling on my stomach I was slowly able to extract myself from a scarey situation.

the whole time I was working to get myself out I kept an eye uphill for even a small sluff, even the smallest slide could have been enough to cover my head and would have spoiled an other wise epic powder day ...

Reflections,

Ski with a buddy and stay close, my partner hooked a turn to grab some powder and was off down the hill, he waited but thought I was ahead of him, he headed downhill figuring he'd meet me there.

A situation comes on real fast, one moment you're up and the next your down, so fast.

Stay calm and try to figure out a solution, go slow and methodical, each move is important and you don't want to make the situation worse than it is by rushing it.

Remember , we've got terrain and conditions here in the valley/ vermont that can kill you, not often, maybe not as dramatic as out west but we've got em, stay alert, stay respectful of the mountain, the weather and the situation that you put yourself into when you're in the trees.

the trees can be very tricky ....Be careful out there ....

freeheel_skier
02-15-2007, 09:40 PM
I mentioned earlier this week that this was going to be a concern. I got several features to fracture yesterday and know that there are some spots in the woods that could go big, or at least big enough to hurt or bury. If you aren't sure of your skills or don't know what to look for, it's better to stay on lower angle stuff for now.

The other major issue to be aware of is tree-wells and hollow spots. If you wander into the trees, keep your friends close, so you can help each other out of jams.

Also, in light of the rescue last night, if you don't know where you are going, don't go. If you are going anywhere off-piste that requires either a big traverse or a long runout, I highly recommend gear that allows you to walk easily, i.e. telemark, AT, snowshoes or splitboards and climbing skins. Walking around off-piste is currently impossible without this gear.

Stay safe and enjoy!

John

Tree-wells are an issue....I've had this happen to me @ LP. 3 in the trees is a good rule of thumb. It is bad when the other 2 are your one way self-centered brothers :shock:

Yard Sale
02-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Non Avalanche Related Snow Immersion Death such as in tree wells is typically only a phenomena and a concern for out west, but typically, so are 4 foot snow falls. There have been cases where people have died just off a trail in tree a well.

freeheel_skier
02-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Fall in a tree well head first even feet first......panic will get ya in a few min...chances are your friends are in front of you when your looking for their pole to pull you out....
:shock:
just my .02 cents