PDA

View Full Version : 2/14/07 V-Day blizzard: North AND South!

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Date(s) Skied: 2/14/07

Conditions: POWDER, and lots of it!

Trip Report:

Got fourth chair on Inverness at 9:00. Lots of soft freshies on Semi-Tough. Glorious! Took one across the Expressway and down Straight Shot. Tough to keep going, but nice anyway! Skied Walt's. 'Bout the same as Semi-Tough. Needed something more interesting, so I hiked up Northway to mid-flats. Got first tracks on Tumbler with about 16" of fresh. WOW! Gorgeous! Decided to grab the bus to South to find some more lift-served terrain since GMX was down with problems, and NRX and Summit were on windhold.

Headed up Super Bravo, over to twist. I was rather surprised how much less snow there was compared to Mt. Ellen. But it was still really nice. Decided to check out the Rock, expecting long lines. Nope! Only about 8 or 9 people ahead of me in line. Wind was calm until the last 3 or 400 feet. Headed to Middle Earth. Top was VERY windy, and snow was windblown and drifted. Past the first couple hundred vertical feet, it was beautiful, but not nearly as deep as Tumbler was. Decided to head down again. Rode Bravo and the Mall. Great powder bumps. Definitely my best run at South today. Skied Stein's next. The top layer of 12 or so inches of powder was great, but it was a little slick/fast below. Not bad. Had to go back up and ski the Mall again because it was so good. Caught the bus back to Mt. Ellen at 2:30. The ride back was definitely interesting with snow falling 3-4 inches per hour!

Was pleasantly surprised to find GMX spinning again upon returning to North. Took three more runs. North is definitely getting more snow out of this storm than South. Encore was skiing beautifully with 26+" of fresh the whole way! Hit Hammerhead next. Same story. By the time I took my last run on Tumbler, there was at least 30-36"! WOW! I actually got stuck in the powder several times! :D

I think it's safe to say that today was EPIC! Tomorrow, assuming lifts turn, should be even better! :D Cheers to the biggest storm in the past decade! :D