PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day Storm 2007, South

castlerock
02-14-2007, 05:29 PM
At Tinnie's request.

Got in Tuesday night around 10:00 PM. Ski buddy Walks was a couple hours behind. Rt89 had a bunch of southern NE plates with gear on the roofs on the way up. Went to bed with the shades open at the condo, I had to be able to check out the snow during the night.

7:30 AM, Friend's dark roast, (my new favorite coffee BTW) 6"+ outside. More than expected. Hmmm.

9:00 AM, walking under the village lift. Got on on Gatehouse to catch our breaths from the hike over. Right to Bravo, the snow felt "slow" under the skis

First run was Twist as we knew it had been groomed. Ripping GS through the fresh, cutting over into the bumps and using the untracked for speed control.

After that it was a bit of a blur. Some high-lights.

Mall ainto Xmas Tree and out onto Steins, It felt like 2' then, especially over the base from the overspray on Steins

Huey's, from the Spills cut-off on Grinder. Great snow, but there are two MONSTER downed trees that break up the standard line, that need to be torched.

The trees skiers right off Downspout.

BearClaw, 5 of us split up breaking trail. The wind was roaring up the trail scouring/packing the first couple hundred vert. Then phenomenal. Speed control was easy with the depth of the fresh.

Liftline, 3 or 4 times. At 3:30 it looked like 9:00 AM. A blank canvas.

Rumble: I only hit 2 rocks!

I was on the Castlerock chair when it stopped for 15-20 minutes or so. I was at around 3300'. For that 15 minutes it snowed harder than I had ever seen, even in LCC, UT. Huge flakes, Dendritic growth raging, It must have been 3"/hr, easy.

I got the last chair up Gatehouse to access the condo. Walks saw a patroller skiing down the access road!. It is more snow in one event than I have ever seen. Still dumping at 5:30.

Let's just hope the wind doesn't whack the snow.

I have shoveling to do.

random_ski_guy
02-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Fun read. thanks.

Strat
02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Darn, I hate reading about glades that I don't know the location of...

Definitely an amazing day though

8)

castlerock
02-15-2007, 09:26 PM
I have shoveling to do.

Well on that note, some tidbits from the NWS at BTV.

For BTV, the storm in question was the largest 24 hour snowfall on record, and the second largest total storm snowfall on record. It was an historic day....