PDA

View Full Version : Grooming

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Just looked at the lift/trail report and noticed that Exterm, Bravo, and Ripcord were groomed last night. This is actually very good for two reasons:

1. Nice pure powder skiing

2. It will create an opportunity to make great new bumps. Natural snow bumps are always much better than their man-made snow counterparts. Also, I'm hoping that enough really good skiers will ski it and make regular, well spaced, well shaped bumps. I'll be there helping to make some bump lines on Exterm and Bravo!

Kind of disappointed that GMX is down. I knew it would be though... after skiing Walt's yesterday, I was heading over to GMX and saw it was stopped. Then I realized it was closed for mechanical issues. But what really worried me was that around 9:30 last night, the lights in the return terminal on and there were mechanics there. That's never a good sign! Hopefully they'll get it figured out and back up and running ASAP!

MntMan4Bush
02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
BMM> Thanks for taking the "hit" for the team and getting those bumps ready for this weekend. I'm sure you'll find it grueling to have to go out and ski run after run in powder to set down a couple nice zipper lines. Seriously though make them nice. Bravo into Exterminator is one of my favorite combos followed by either tumbler or encore and right back on the chair. I think you're work is cut our for you though. It seems to me that the bumps on Exterminator form the same every year. I've almost started naming them because it looks the same every season. Has anyone ever noticed that?

beelze
02-14-2007, 05:58 PM
if it was.. it was by hand. I definitely got tossed around a couple times hitting an ice mogul that was trying to surface. Perhaps they just did the entrance on top but judging by its windblown state it seemed fairly old.

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 06:04 PM
if it was.. it was by hand. I definitely got tossed around a couple times hitting an ice mogul that was trying to surface. Perhaps they just did the entrance on top but judging by its windblown state it seemed fairly old.

Ripcord may have been a website mistake. I can't really speak to Exterm and Bravo, since Northridge and Summit were on windhold. I did hike an get first tracks on Tumbler around 11:00, and then got early tracks on Encore and Hammerhead when GMX was up again around 2:00. What a day! Fantasterastic! :D :D :D

sugarboarder
02-14-2007, 06:58 PM

Ripcord may have been a website mistake. I can't really speak to Exterm and Bravo, since Northridge and Summit were on windhold. I did hike an get first tracks on Tumbler around 11:00, and then got early tracks on Encore and Hammerhead when GMX was up again around 2:00. What a day! Fantasterastic! :D :D :D

Wow - I debated whether to go to LP or ME this morning...glad I picked LP. Those lifts at ME just seem to have too many issues to trust they will be spinning on our first epic pow day in two years! :)

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 07:02 PM

Wow - I debated whether to go to LP or ME this morning...glad I picked LP. Those lifts at ME just seem to have too many issues to trust they will be spinning on our first epic pow day in two years! :)

Not generally. Wind is definitely a concern, but the lifts at ME don't go down that much for other reasons. GMX is practically brand new, and all the others (barring Sunny D) aren't really that old, comparatively speaking. They're all in a pretty good state of repair. Problems happen with lifts. It's just the nature of the beast. But the ME lifts down really go down more than any other lifts anywhere else. It just gets hit harder there with the prevailing winds because of the orientations of the lifts, so windhold is more imminent.

Just reread that and realized that it was kind of confusing. Here's what I just said: yup, they go down more for wind. No, they don't go down more for other problems.

sugarboarder
02-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Not generally. Wind is definitely a concern, but the lifts at ME don't go down that much for other reasons. GMX is practically brand new, and all the others (barring Sunny D) aren't really that old, comparatively speaking. They're all in a pretty good state of repair. Problems happen with lifts. It's just the nature of the beast. But the ME lifts down really go down more than any other lifts anywhere else. It just gets hit harder there with the prevailing winds because of the orientations of the lifts, so windhold is more imminent.

Just reread that and realized that it was kind of confusing. Here's what I just said: yup, they go down more for wind. No, they don't go down more for other problems.

Still glad I went to LP - no matter the reasons the ME lifts were not spinning...I had a feeling.

Strat
02-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Speaking of grooming, can we just, not? None of the trails need to be groomed, and mashing down all the wondrous pow pow that still exists (even in a chopped form) seems to be a crime... :(

8)

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Speaking of grooming, can we just, not? None of the trails need to be groomed, and mashing down all the wondrous pow pow that still exists (even in a chopped form) seems to be a crime... :(

8)

Um, Strat... read the website! They're not really gonna groom much overnight! Don't worry!

Thursday you’ll find 111 trails serviced by 13 lifts. Surface conditions are deep powder on a 24-54” base. Grooming will be light overnight.

Strat
02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Ah, I hadn't seen the update... last I checked around 6 pm there was still the 1:45 pm snow report... thanks...

EDIT: Okay, it's still from 1:45, I just hadn't seen that part of the report... got it...

8)

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Ah, I hadn't seen the update... last I checked around 6 pm there was still the 1:45 pm snow report... thanks...

EDIT: Okay, it's still from 1:45, I just hadn't seen that part of the report... got it...

8)

:lol: it happens!

Strat
02-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Yes it does...

Just spent the last 15 minutes taking pictures of the easily 15 inches of new snow fallen in my driveway since we were plowed around 2... this is epic.

:D :D :D

8)

sugarboarder
02-14-2007, 09:12 PM
I hiope they groom Spring Fling so we can race on it tomorrow - everything else, leave it alone! :)