PDA

View Full Version : President's Weekend Plan of Attack

GolfingOwl
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
I posted here a couple months ago. We had our first trip to Sugarbush over the X-Mas holiday and despite limited terrain, we enjoyed the mountain so much we booked another trip for this coming weekend after some posters here noted that Sugarbush sees less crowds than others on President's weekend.

That said, I'm not expecting zero liftlines and people-free slopes so I was wondering what runs/lifts you guys would normally ski on a holiday weekend like this to avoid the worst of the crowds. I know Mt. Ellen is generally less crowded than LP and we will spend some time there. Our kids will be in ski school at LP so we need to be back there to pick them up. My wife is a pure blue cruiser skier and I'm a groomed black skier. I may venture into the bumps once in a while and hit some easier glade runs too. I assume Super Bravo and GME will be the worst liftlines and the runs off those lifts the most crowded. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TimKeogh
02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
My wife is a pure blue cruiser skier and I'm a groomed black skier. I may venture into the bumps once in a while and hit some easier glade runs too.

I really like The Cliffs under GMX on ME. It allows you ski some bumps and bail out into the groomed side on the right when you get tired.
My wife does Which Way or Cruiser and we meet up at the bottom.

Strat
02-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Largest lines on the mountain will be at Super Bravo, no doubt about that, but you'll be surprised at the lack of line on GMX - I don't know if it's the speed of that lift or just the distribution of people on the mountain, but I've never seen a wait more than five minutes there, ever.

shadyjay
02-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Largest lines on the mountain will be at Super Bravo, no doubt about that, but you'll be surprised at the lack of line on GMX - I don't know if it's the speed of that lift or just the distribution of people on the mountain, but I've never seen a wait more than five minutes there, ever.

You obviously weren't there on 12/23/05. :P
The line wrapped around the back of the base lodge.

99% of the time, there is hardly any line, probably since most take advantage of upper mountain lifts such as the Summit or the Northridge. I know I only take the GMX once, just to get up to mid-mtn. Luckily so far this season, crowds at Mt Ellen have been limited due to the whole LPV/Clay Brook deal over at LP. Makes it easy to get a lot of runs in, even on a Saturday.

-Jay

random_ski_guy
02-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Good news, you're not skiing Stratton, Okemo or Killington, all mtns that need strategizing to minimize the crowds and liftlines. Sugarbush is pretty simple, minimize your time on the Super Bravo at Lincoln and you should experience minimal liftlines.

ski_resort_observer
02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Yup, both Super Bravo and Gatehouse lifts will be crowded during the holiday weekend. My favorites on busy days is North Lynx at LP and Northridge and Inverness at ME. There is only 3 trails off NL but I know per your ability statement you would really enjoy all three.

Northridge has a lot of great terrain off the top terminal and Inverness has 3 sweet trails plus a nice glade area, not the longest runs tho. Even tho Inverness is right at the base, it seems most everybody is in a hurry these days and can't stand the slow speed so the GMX gets the bigger lines. For me, a slow lift means uncrowded trails, Semi-Tough, is a really fun trail. Brambles was better before they widened it but still fun. Don't like or ski Inverness Trail tho.

Lostone
02-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I haven't been to North, lately, but don't think there is much in the way of regularly groomed black, there. At south, it is ograngrinder and Lower Organgrinder. I often suggest Lower Organgrinder for those who want to try blacks, because it is fairly easy, and you can bail out on Jester.

The reason for GMX being pretty light on lines is Northridge. Northridge is the vertical at North. Unless you are skiing FIS or Black Diamond, there is no reason to go up Summit, except for taking in that view at least once per trip over there.

Want to venture onto some bumps, try Moonshine. It is blue, but it is a tough blue, and generally natural snow bumps.

Look for a mountain guide when at South. Tell him/her what you want to try.

You're liable to hit larger crowds than we've seen on holiday weeks. It is a plot. :shock: Not exactly a secret plot, but they are trying to get the news out that this is a good place to ski. That said, the crowds here are almost always lower than many of the other area resorts.

And right now is a great time to be here. Conditions are... Pretty darn nice! :D

If we get what they are threatening for Wednesday... :D :D