PDA

View Full Version : Tips for first week at SB/MRG?

ts01
02-12-2007, 10:52 AM
The good news is I'm taking the group to Sugarbush / Mad River for a week and conditions obviously are looking up. The bad news is its going to be Presidents Week so no doubt there'll be crowds. Generally - any advice for crowd management and otherwise making the most of it? (Beyond the obvious early wakeup and early lunch breaks ...)

And some specific questions:

1 - We're renting a condo that's high up on on Summit Road accessible to Village Run; the owner says its easy to ski TO the condo but a little trickier to ski FROM it down to the lifts. Looking at the trail map online I think I see what he means. Village Run ends up on one side of Sugarbush Village base area, with what looks to be a long walk across the base over to the Gatehouse Express quad, if I'm reading the map right. How long a walk is that and is it all paved over or can you "skate" across on skis? Are there any unmarked trails or skiable woods to ski rather than Village Run, to bring you closer to the lifts?

2 - Lift tickets - any local places to pick up discount SB or MRG tickets? I'm thinking of stopping at a shop on the drive up to get some $59 ticket vouchers for SB; that's a better deal than any of the multi-day tickets with holiday pricing. But I'd just as soon do it locally if possible. I'm driving up from NYC area and one of our group is flying in to the Burlington Vt airport - anyplace convenient on the drive from the airport to pick up the vouchers?

3 - Any combination tickets for SB / MRG? I've looked into this several months ago and the answer seemed to be no, unless you're renting accomodations from the Sugarbush resort itself, which I'm not doing. Sure would be nice to get one multiday ticket for the week, instead of trying to plan ahead or buy dailies.

4 - We've got a couple intermediate level skiers and several advanced (but not expert): Can I reassure the intermediates in good conscience they'll be fine at MRG and have plenty of appropriate terrain?

5 - - Is the Slidebrook Express quad going to be open for the holiday week? If not, it looks like Mt Ellen is a day trip in itself.

6 - How long a drive to Bolton Valley? I've got a feeling there's more than enough to keep us busy between the two MRV areas but I've also always wanted to check out Bolton Valley. With 6 days to ski, should I consider a side trip up there or just make the most of our location at Sugarbush?

7 - We've also got one adult woman with us for just a few days, who is a total newbie and may or may not even hit the slopes. I've encouraged her to check out a beginner rental / lesson combo; sunday 2/18 would be the date for this. It looks like both MRG and SB offer this. My instinct is SB since that's our first day and if it's a disaster she can bail and get back to the condo. BUT I also suspect SB will be a zoo on the Sunday of Presidents week and MRG will be friendlier and have really good instructors to boot.

8 - Restaurants? We'll cook most nights but also go out a couple. American Flatbread for sure ... Any other suggestions for teen (and parent) eating that won't break the bank?

That's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hardbooter
02-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Regarding the condos near village run: it's true that you can technically ski to the condos but not from the condos to the mountain but I've found it much easier to ski to the mountain (its all downhill) then walk across the road and ski around houses down to the mountain. Taking village run back at the end of the day is a slog. Its about a quarter mile of flats. You can skate it but its not much fun. There are shuttles that will drop you off nearby and they run frequently so overall its good place to stay and it looks like you'll have great snow.

Tin Woodsman
02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
The good news is I'm taking the group to Sugarbush / Mad River for a week and conditions obviously are looking up. The bad news is its going to be Presidents Week so no doubt there'll be crowds. Generally - any advice for crowd management and otherwise making the most of it? (Beyond the obvious early wakeup and early lunch breaks ...)

And some specific questions:

1 - We're renting a condo that's high up on on Summit Road accessible to Village Run; the owner says its easy to ski TO the condo but a little trickier to ski FROM it down to the lifts. Looking at the trail map online I think I see what he means. Village Run ends up on one side of Sugarbush Village base area, with what looks to be a long walk across the base over to the Gatehouse Express quad, if I'm reading the map right. How long a walk is that and is it all paved over or can you "skate" across on skis? Are there any unmarked trails or skiable woods to ski rather than Village Run, to bring you closer to the lifts?

Ask someone who lives inthe Village, but I think the answer is, in general, that you can ski most of the way down there w/o much problem.

3 - Any combination tickets for SB / MRG? I've looked into this several months ago and the answer seemed to be no, unless you're renting accomodations from the Sugarbush resort itself, which I'm not doing. Sure would be nice to get one multiday ticket for the week, instead of trying to plan ahead or buy dailies.
There is a Ski the Valley pass - not sure of the terms and conditions.
\

4 - We've got a couple intermediate level skiers and several advanced (but not expert): Can I reassure the intermediates in good conscience they'll be fine at MRG and have plenty of appropriate terrain?

Yes you can. The double is a wonderful chair for just that type of skier, as it, IMHO, Antelope off the Single.

5 - - Is the Slidebrook Express quad going to be open for the holiday week? If not, it looks like Mt Ellen is a day trip in itself.

Yes.

6 - How long a drive to Bolton Valley? I've got a feeling there's more than enough to keep us busy between the two MRV areas but I've also always wanted to check out Bolton Valley. With 6 days to ski, should I consider a side trip up there or just make the most of our location at Sugarbush?

Too long to make it worthwhile, IMHO. Probably 45-60 mins to the lodge? Between LP, ME and MRG, you've got WAY more than enough to explore for a week.

8 - Restaurants? We'll cook most nights but also go out a couple. American Flatbread for sure ... Any other suggestions for teen (and parent) eating that won't break the bank?

The Den, The Hydeaway, Local Folk Smokehouse, to name a few.

ts01
02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Thank you both for the replies.

castlerock
02-12-2007, 11:55 AM

I do the Village run back to the condo's all the time. Yes it is a bit of a skate, as such it is much easier for skiers than boarders. There is often freshies to be had on the sides as it pitches down after the traverse. To ski to the hill, one possibility is" at the end of the Village run, cross the road and ski just past the house (on your right). You are now between the Mountainside and Castlerock condos. Take a right and walk slightly up past the Mountainside units and you can get on Out to Lunch.

2 - Lift tickets - any local places to pick up discount SB or MRG tickets? I'm thinking of stopping at a shop on the drive up to get some $59 ticket vouchers for SB; that's a better deal than any of the multi-day tickets with holiday pricing. But I'd just as soon do it locally if possible. I'm driving up from NYC area and one of our group is flying in to the Burlington Vt airport - anyplace convenient on the drive from the airport to pick up the vouchers?

Check the Sugarbush site for off site sales. There is a Hannafords grocery store right off 89 in Essex Junction, that has offsite sales..

I think it is.

I'd stay at Sugarbush....

7 - We've also got one adult woman with us for just a few days, who is a total newbie and may or may not even hit the slopes. I've encouraged her to check out a beginner rental / lesson combo; sunday 2/18 would be the date for this. It looks like both MRG and SB offer this. My instinct is SB since that's our first day and if it's a disaster she can bail and get back to the condo. BUT I also suspect SB will be a zoo on the Sunday of Presidents week and MRG will be friendlier and have really good instructors to boot.
MRG won't be friendlier. You would probably enjoy both. However, Sugarbush handles crowds much better and Sugarbush will have much more groomed terrain

My favorite for affordable eating, kid friendly, and fantastic drafts is Localfolk Smokehouse. Say Yes to the Pulled pork, and No to the ribs (I don't know why, I just don't think they cook the ribs long enough...)

nelsapbm
02-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Re: offsite tickets near Burlington Airport. Assuming you take exit 14E off I-89, you'll go right by the Alpine Shop on Williston Road.

noski
02-12-2007, 12:15 PM

I will speak to this one. Tree is right, there is a Ski The Valley Pass. However, it is not a retail product and is only available when packaged with lodging at chamber member participating properties. If you go to www.madrivervalley.com the banner is right there on the homepage including cost and properties. Minimum stay 2 nights midweek with 2 days skiing, 3 nights over the weekend with 3 days skiing, non holiday periods.

skigal
02-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Shuttle bus stops at the entrance to the Summit condos. If you are at the top of Summit Rd that is probably your easiest option although it may be a little crowded that week.

http://www.madrivervalley.com/pdfs/madbus_mountain_condos.pdf

Bolton Valley 45 - 50 minutes. I'd skip it given the alternatives you have in the valley.

Alpine Shop 802-862-2714

Biff, Paris-France
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Come On Up --- You'll all have a wonderful time

I'm sure you'll get a number of informative responses from some very well informed skiers / posters to this site, so I'll just answer a few of your questions.

1. yes, skiing to / from your condo may be a challenge.

4 -yes, please reassure the intermediates that they'll have an absolute blast at MRG and will probably come away as better skiers from they day at MRG ....!

5 - - Yes, the Slidebrook Express quad will definitly be going to be open [ barring any unforeseen / highly unlikely mechanical problems ] for the holiday week.

If not, there's a free of charge SB bus, which runs to and from Mt Ellen every half hour. it's a 12 minute bus ride.

6 - I'd forget about Bolton if I were you. You have two of the best ski areas at your door step, Sugarbush and Mad River, there's absolutly no reason to drive more than an hour for a small, friendly but far inferior area which does not share the lift ticket deal you'll have in the Valley.

7 -Yes, I'd recommend SB for the beginner combo if only because she'll be closer to the condo. However, I'd avoid doing that on Sunday and opt for Monday if at all possible. Both areas will be more crowded on sunday, she'll have a better expereince on monday. being first day, you'll have your hands full on sunday. settle in, get oriented and then do the beginner combo on monday, you'll all have more fun.

8 - yes, American Flatbread for sure ...Also Make sure to visit Egans Big World at the junction of RT 17 and Rt 100.

come on up .....

Biff

shadyjay
02-12-2007, 05:52 PM
1. Your best bet is, if you're up on the Summit Road, to either (A) take a bus from Summit condos, or (B) hike to "Out To Lunch". When I was based out of my family's condo at Trailside Ten, we would cross Village Run, continue on the road on the other side (the private houses side), then turn right and take a service path over to Out to Lunch. There is a concrete structure there with vents IIRC that marks the way. A hundred feet or so from there and you're on the trail, which you can ski/ride to the base, though it does flat out right at the base. Other option is to hike up Out to Lunch and that'll put you right under the Village Double. Back in the days when I two-planked it, I took Village Run home one day and it was a workout on skis, rewarded by the eventual downhill after the traverse. I then discovered Out to Lunch to get home - which I rode all the way to the road.

2. I don't see Hannafords listed as a lift tix discount place on SB's website anymore. But there are lots of places newly listed including hotels and ski shops in and around BTV.

4. Can't tell ya anything about MRG. Never been there. Not allowed. End of story.

5. I would think they'd run the Slide Brook Express the entire week. Though I have noticed this year that they tend to not run it if it is too cold. There's always the bus, but the SBE is a nice keep-strapped-in alternative. Mt Ellen usually has less crowds than Lincoln Peak.

6. Bolton does have night skiing (Wed-Sat), probably every night during holiday week. Its an option if you want to go sightseeing in the area, or before dinner.

7. Great beginner terrain at Sugarbush, for sure. Nice long bunny slope and groomed easy runs from the midstation, down.

8. Restaurants have changed so much in the Valley in recent years. Though since this is a Sugarbush forum, I guess someone has to plug Timbers, even though I've never been there (yet).

Most important, have a blast! Conditions are great and only getting better. It will be crowded but don't let that stop you from having a good time. Be safe and enjoy!

-Jay

Strat
02-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Also Make sure to visit Egans Big World at the junction of RT 17 and Rt 100.

Seconded!

ski_resort_observer
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
The offsite tiks are a great deal if your skiing during a holiday plus they are good anyday so if you have any left over you can come back to use them another day till May 16th.

Whether or not coming back via The Village Run depends on the conditions and the ability level of the skiers. If we have alot of snow you can ski down easily to the parking lot of Mountainside, short walk to Out to Lunch. A neg is you have to take the Village Double then ski over to the base area.

The shuttle system works great, I use it all the time. We have a grid just for the condos/townhouses to the LP base area and if you don;t want to drive there is a grid to get you around the MRV as well. Summit Townhomes are nice units, 3br, 2bth, mutli level, cathedral ceiling in LV with fireplace. pretty roomy.

ts01
02-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the detailed information. Egans is on the list, Bolton Valley is off it, and I'll definitely use the shuttle.

And whoever arranged the storm blowing through this week - WOW. COUldn't ask for more (except maybe a few freshies next week after my drive up on cleared roads). Fair to assume this will mean good tree skiing?

Hardbooter
02-13-2007, 01:43 PM
The trees were skiable last weekend. This weekend I expect it will be good everywhere.

ts01
02-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the info above.

Had a GREAT week - skied 2.5 days Lincoln peak, 1.5 days Mt. Ellen, and 2 days at MRG. I'd like to add a zero to each of those numbers!

I was surprised at how manageable the lift lines were despite holidays. Especially Mt. Ellen. Nice, having your own private mountain.

I was also surprised at the vast scope of Sugarbush relative to southern VT resorts that claim the same acreage. SB skis MUCH bigger - on par with western resorts claiming thousands of acres, and far beyond the southern VT wannabes (i.e., Stratton, Okemo).

And MRG was just great. Actually was a favorite among the intermediates in our group - plenty of groomed and they liked hanging out in the lodge.

BushMogulMaster
02-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the info above.

Had a GREAT week - skied 2.5 days Lincoln peak, 1.5 days Mt. Ellen, and 2 days at MRG. I'd like to add a zero to each of those numbers!

I was surprised at how manageable the lift lines were despite holidays. Especially Mt. Ellen. Nice, having your own private mountain.

I was also surprised at the vast scope of Sugarbush relative to southern VT resorts that claim the same acreage. SB skis MUCH bigger - on par with western resorts claiming thousands of acres, and far beyond the southern VT wannabes (i.e., Stratton, Okemo).

And MRG was just great. Actually was a favorite among the intermediates in our group - plenty of groomed and they liked hanging out in the lodge.

Awesome! Glad you had a great time.

You're comparisons to other VT resorts are very true. Lots of them have comparable acreage, but none have the sheer size and amount of terrain (especially QUALITY terrain) that the Bush has. I like your wording... "SB skis MUCH bigger" :D

sugarboarder
02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
OMG - I think we are being (re) discovered! :wink: