PDA

View Full Version : Making more snow?

random_ski_guy
02-12-2007, 09:00 AM
According to the website SB continues to make snow all over the mtn. If that is true, I'm very impressed. I think most mtns would have put the guns to rest for now given the coverage they have on the mtn already. Maybe turn them on to resurface during president's week and give those spring skiing trails their spring bases, thats about it.

Is SB teeing up May 1st skiing? I kid, I kid..... :shock:

freeheel_skier
02-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Skied LP yesterday and they were pounding snow on Stein's &Spring Fling. I think I saw some being made on Murphy's(I forget)?

Yard Sale
02-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Murphy's was on.

castlerock
02-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Skied LP yesterday and they were pounding snow on Stein's &Spring Fling. I think I saw some being made on Murphy's(I forget)?

They had been blowing 24/7 on Steins since Thurday 2/8, after they flattened it....

random_ski_guy
02-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Sounds like Steins will be the spring ski trail. Its a good move in that is takes advantage of the new day lodge. I'm not sure about its late season durability vs FIS & Lower Rim Run though.

Mike_451
02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Cheaper than going to town on Ripcord though :wink:

Tin Woodsman
02-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Sounds like Steins will be the spring ski trail. Its a good move in that is takes advantage of the new day lodge. I'm not sure about its late season durability vs FIS & Lower Rim Run though.

I think you're right on all counts. Hard some chatter on same this weekend. They're building quite a mound on Steins, and to a lesser extent on Spring Fling and Glade. I guess given all the infrastructure that exists at South now, it's kind of unavoidable. Still, you can't help but to think that from a pure mtn ops perspective, Rim Run and perhaps FIS are more feasible for late season skiing.

Fourwide
02-12-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't recall this much attention being paid to Murphy's in the past. Perhaps another spring option?

shadyjay
02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
At least their not making any more snow on Elbow!

I've taken Murphys only a handful of times in the past and there was questionable coverage every time... though Sunday had the best coverage I've seen there.

If they're making snow, then business must be doing good. If business wasn't good, then would there be extra $$$ kickin around to fire up the guns, when the temps haven't gotten above freezing in nearly a month, and with more cold and snow on the way?

Or like everyone else has said, maybe they're just thinking ahead.

-Jay

sugarboarder
02-12-2007, 06:16 PM

I think you're right on all counts. Hard some chatter on same this weekend. They're building quite a mound on Steins, and to a lesser extent on Spring Fling and Glade. I guess given all the infrastructure that exists at South now, it's kind of unavoidable. Still, you can't help but to think that from a pure mtn ops perspective, Rim Run and perhaps FIS are more feasible for late season skiing.

How about this idea for spring - keep BOTH mountains open. 8)

win
02-12-2007, 06:44 PM
They will be until Easter. Then it is one! Economics just do not make sense to keep both open the final three weeks of April! I have decided which one so stay tuned! We are taking a couple of days break on snowmaking early this week and then will probably turn on again towards the end of the week. We will be grooming out some additional trails tonight and tomorrow night to set them up for the potential snowfall. Tonight we are doing Cliffs, Moonshine and Sunrise. More like these tomorrow night and if we get a dump, they will really be sweet!

shadyjay
02-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Why do I have a feeling that I won't be using my Mt Ellen pass after Easter.... that's one of the reasons why I got it, first to open, last to close. Say it ain't so! Or will there be some sort of "hookup"?

-Jay

Tin Woodsman
02-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Why do I have a feeling that I won't be using my Mt Ellen pass after Easter.... that's one of the reasons why I got it, first to open, last to close. Say it ain't so! Or will there be some sort of "hookup"?

-Jay

Can't imagine the mountain would job you like that. My guess is that they grandfather in ME-only passholders for this year and then next year caveat emptor, with the understanding that LP will be the late season venue.

shadyjay
02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Can't imagine the mountain would job you like that. My guess is that they grandfather in ME-only passholders for this year and then next year caveat emptor, with the understanding that LP will be the late season venue.

Not that I care all too much.............Sugarbush owes me nothing. So far this year they have provided me with hours and hours of entertainment with great conditions and a great experience that only gets better, and I have full plans to renew my Ellen pass for next season....unless there's a 6-day all-mtn at an affordable rate. If L/P is the one to stay open till the end (will they beat Kmart this year?), and my pass is accepted, then my rating of the Bush goes up about 100 points (at least).

-Jay

win
02-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Tin? Are you Win?

Strat
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Tin? Are you Win?
Win? Are you Win?

:wink:

BushMogulMaster
02-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Tin? Are you Win?
Win? Are you Win?

:wink:

It's a Win/Win! :wink:

Lostone
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Which is a good sandwich, but I prefer the gangsta wrap. :D

shadyjay
02-12-2007, 09:13 PM
It's a Win/Win! :wink:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing! You beat me to the punch, BMM!

Tin Woodsman
02-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Tin? Are you Win?

Tell you what - I'll be happy to switch for the day, or if you don't want to go whole hog like that, we can just switch bank accounts - I promise it will all be there the next day. :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Honestly though, knowing the stand-up gents you guys are, I can't imagine you'd switch things up mid-season and not make the ME passholders "whole" - many of them obviously bought with the expectation of having the early opening and late closing in their personal value calculations. It wouldn't be the right thing to do. Seeing as how there is next to no incremental cost for letting them use their ticket at LP for the last month (you actually get at least a little money from them in F&B), it's a no-brainer for a mgmt team that knows what it's doing. You guys obviously do.

Tin Woodsman
02-13-2007, 07:02 AM
You know, I was thinking about this when I woke up (which is troubling enough in itself). Perhaps I am Win's......wait for it.......wait for it.....

Evil TWin Woodsman?

http://upload6.postimage.org/235902/16_drevil.jpg (http://upload6.postimage.org/235902/photo_hosting.html)

noski
02-13-2007, 07:08 AM
You know, I was thinking about this when I woke up (which is troubling enough in itself). Perhaps I am Win's......wait for it.......wait for it.....

Evil TWin Woodsman?

mini me? (not me, as in me)