PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Coastal Storm.

castlerock
02-11-2007, 07:18 PM
.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
MAJOR WINTER EVENT POTENTIAL FOR THE EXTENDED. LATEST MDL RUNS HAVE
DRAGGED COASTAL SYSTEM CLOSER TO THE NEW ENG COASTLINE...WHICH IN
TURN NOW FORCES MORE ATLANTIC MOISTURE INTO THE FA. UPPER TROUGH
OVER CENTRAL U.S. DRAGS LOW CLOSER TO THE AREA AS IT MVS EAST. WITH
AMPLE QPF FROM THE ATLANTIC FEEDING INTO SYSTEM...SIGNIFCANT
SNOWFALL POSSIBLE. HARDEST HIT AREAS LOOK TO BE SC VT..ESPECIALLY
WIND/ORANGE CTYS...SO HAVE GONE HIGH LIKELY FOR NOW...AND WILL LET
LATER SHIFTS FINE TUNE THE POPS AS EVENT DRAWS NEARER. MDLS BEGIN TO
MV TOWARDS THE NE TOWARDS THE MAINE COASTLINE BY WED
NGT/THURS...SHIFTING PRECIP SHIELD TO ENCOMPASS MOST OF E VT. BY
LATE THURS INTO SATURDAY THE CWA WILL BE UNDER NORTHERLY FLOW AS
COASTAL SYSTEM SLOWLY WRAPS UP INTO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES. THIS
WILL PUT MAINLY THE NORTHERN REGIONS OF THE CWA...ESPECIALLY FOR N
VT...INTO POTENTIAL FOR SEVERAL INCHES OF ACCUM. MTN AREAS OF NE VT
WILL BE CLOEST TO SYSTEM AND HAVE BEST POTENTIAL AS MOISTURE ADVECTS
AROUND THE SYSTEM. WILL TAPER PRECIP OFF FROM WEST TO EAST AS LOW
MVS OFF THE COASTINTO SATURDAY...ALLOWING THE REGION TO BEGIN TO CLR
OUT AS SFC RIDGE BUILDS OVER AREA SAT NGT INTO SUNDAY.

From the discussion 305 PM EST SUN FEB 11 2007

Hopefully this will open up the woods for real. Take us to the "dial and drop" instead of "hunt and peck". (to quote J. Atkinson)

BushMogulMaster
02-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I know Accuweather isn't always to be trusted, but this sure looks nice!

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/wxnews/2007/snow021107.jpg

Strat
02-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I think I need a new pair of pants (in response to the graphic).

Must. Not. Get. Overexcited. Oh who am I kidding, come on NOR'EASTER!!!

I'm gonna be crying into my cereal come Wednesday morning though, I just know it...

BushMogulMaster
02-11-2007, 07:39 PM
I think I need a new pair of pants (in response to the graphic).

Must. Not. Get. Overexcited. Oh who am I kidding, come on NOR'EASTER!!!

I'm gonna be crying into my cereal come Wednesday morning though, I just know it...

I know... it's so INCREDIBLY hard not to get extremely excited looking at that graphic. But, if all of the previous storms are any indication of this one, we'll get a nice six inch fluff layer. Oh well... I can still hope and dream, can't I?

THINK SNOW!!!! SNOW SNOW SNOW!!! 18+ would be nice :D

HowieT2
02-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I was waiting for someone to start a thread about this. I've been following this since friday. The graph from accuweather looks promising but a little early to make accumulations predictions and some models have it more of coastal event slamming Boston.

BushMogulMaster
02-11-2007, 07:48 PM
I was waiting for someone to start a thread about this. I've been following this since friday. The graph from accuweather looks promising but a little early to make accumulations predictions and some models have it more of coastal event slamming Boston.

True. The high pressure dome could definitely throw this one a bit to the southeast, like the last few. But I still won't complain too much if we get shoved into the >12 range. Although, I'd love to see 24+", but I think that's a bit greedy!

Strat
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I'll take 6 inches, thankyouverymuch...

Then again 18 would be a lot sweeter :)

shadyjay
02-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Figures - I'm going to CT next weekend and that means its gonna dump Wed and I have to work. Oh well. Those are the breaks. 'Least I got 2 awesome jam-packed days at the 'Bush this weekend.

-Jay

sugarboarder
02-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Mid-week pow...oh yeah!!!

All this racing is fun, but I NEED a change of pace!!!!

freeheel_skier
02-11-2007, 08:30 PM

AMEN! I think I will call in sick...or have some sort of IT issues!

Yard Sale
02-11-2007, 10:44 PM
I may be coming down with a case of the runs. . . . Uh midweek powder runs that is.

Strat
02-12-2007, 07:27 AM
So, here's the sweep of the models...
Right now the GFS has the Low moving too far Southeast to really hit us hard (though potential still exists for some fluff)
http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/gfs072hr_sfc_mslp.gif
However, the ETA has a much nicer picture...
http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/eta72hr_sfc_mslp.gif
The precip amounts vary accordingly... GFS:
http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/gfs072hr_sfc_prcp.gif
ETA:
http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/eta72hr_sfc_prcp.gif

freeheel_skier
02-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Got some fluff this am @ my house....1" or so......Hoping for a dump Wed! :D

sugarboarder
02-12-2007, 09:48 AM

I can create some IT issues for anyone who requires them!! :wink:

BushMogulMaster
02-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Forecast from the MRG weather blog looks VERY promising:

Major storm set to strike northern/central Vermont

Biggest storm, on a synoptic scale, is set to strike Mad River Glen and surrounding Vermont beginning late in the evening on Tuesday and lasting into Thursday. There will be both very heavy snow and high winds. The northern half of Vermont, the White Mountains of New Hampshire and much of the southern two thirds of Maine look to be in the storms sweet spot where total snowfall based on preliminary indications will be in the 18-36 inch range by late day Thursday. Wow !!! Coastal areas will see lots of sleet/ice and limited snowfall so don't be fooled if the forecast for Boston and New York downplays snowfall accumulations. There loss is our gain !!

I'll have a full update later today but I have to be careful not to get stricken with storm attention deficit disorder here at work

Posted by Joshua Fox at 9:20 AM

:D :D :D

random_ski_guy
02-12-2007, 10:38 AM

I can create some IT issues for anyone who requires them!! :wink:

:lol:

shadyjay
02-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Got the ok from my boss today to "take the day" if conditions allow. I don't know if the truck would make it to the office, but the 'Cruiser will make it the 10 miles to the Valley without a prob.

A powder day combined with a $14 lift tix - could this be heaven? As long as it starts Tues night....
(I'd ride at Mt Ellen free on my pass if there was no discount day).

-Jay

atkinson
02-12-2007, 08:42 PM
I just read a Wx report that included the words, "extreme precipitation event." Get up here now !!

John

p.s. As a recovery day after the X-Team clinic this past weekend, Dean Decas and I went and skinned up into the Mansfield backcountry. Even without this approaching storm, the skiing has been great!

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/data/515/medium/collage1_copy.jpg

Strat
02-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Damn, nice shots!

Can I have that upper left panorama one in a bigger size to set as the background for my desktop?

Hardbooter
02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
http://sirocco.accuweather.com/iwxpage/adc/popup/iws2_430.jpg

The storm that rapidly strengthens off the East Coast early Wednesday will create major travel delays on the road and in the air. The combination of freezing rain and increasing winds will cause downed trees and power lines near and just to the northwest of the major Northeast Cities Tuesday night and early Wednesday.

Over a foot of snow will fall from the northern Appalachians to Maine. Behind the storm it will turn bitterly cold again, so any standing water or slush will rapidly freeze.

From http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&article=2

By the way, John, how did the X-Team clinic go? (nice pics)

gottdogg
02-12-2007, 09:20 PM
How this for a forecast -- 20 - 40 inches!!!

See http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showtopic=125635

Hope it verifies. Enjoy the Pow.

tymoguls
02-12-2007, 09:27 PM
How do you set up a poll/pool? It seems like we should be taking bets on total snowfall at top of ME.

Biff, Paris-France
02-12-2007, 10:53 PM
John, where were those pictures taken ... ?

random_ski_guy
02-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Mt Mansfield, above Stowe...dunno the names of the lines though if thats what your asking.

Hardbooter
02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
http://sirocco.accuweather.com/iwxpage/adc/popup/iws3_430.jpg

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&article=3

I guess we should expect wind pack by Thursday.

atkinson
02-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Where? Near the summit of Mansfield, just below the Chin. We both were kicking ourselves for not bringing shovels, beacons and probes. We were getting some results from ski cuts, so we stayed to the ridge and off the more open slopes. For those in question, there are places to get flushed by a big sluff or small avy in the Sugarbush backcountry too. Be careful during this next cycle.

I am going to publish some of these photos, so I can't share big versions yet. Sorry.

Mark Breen is calling for 4-8" overnight Tuesday in the valleys. 1-2' tomorrow and tomorrow night. Another report is calling for 20-40" overall. Nobody has done a mountain forecast that I know of, so all these numbers are for the general area, with no mountain orographic enhancement. All of my trusted sources are blowing up over this storm. Even if it's only half of what they say, it'll be be huge.

If you have any chance at all of getting to the mountain, I strongly suggest making it happen. The snow isn't supposed to start until after midnite tonight, so plenty of time to get done with work and hit the road. There is nothing worse than hearing all weekend, "You should have been here Wednesday and Thursday. IT WAS SICK!"

John

Treeskier
02-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Heading out tonight. Anyone want to car pool?

MntMan4Bush
02-13-2007, 09:26 AM
There is nothing worse than hearing all weekend, "You should have been here Wednesday and Thursday. IT WAS SICK!"

John[/quote]

It is for precisely for that reason I've drafted up this non-disclosure agreement with a shut the hell up clause that I'd ask everyone in here to sign, standard boiler plate material really. Just disregard the part that leaves all your earthly belongings to me in the even that you ski ever again. Really standard stuff here....

BushMogulMaster
02-13-2007, 10:27 AM
What I find most amazing about this pending storm is that all of the forcasts and models are in general agreement. How often does that happen? They all say it's gonna hit, and it's gonna hit hard. I think the most conservative report I've seen say 12-18". That's pretty exciting in my books! I'm getting out early tomorrow before the wind hits! Looks like everything should be ok until around 2:00. Then the 20-30mph winds hit with gusting possibly 60+. I wish, just once, we could have a snowstorm with the wind! Oh well... I'll take the two feet of snow and shut up! :wink:

Hardbooter
02-13-2007, 11:15 AM
We'll actually, I'd like hear how it goes. I definitely wont be up until the weekend but I'd like to know which way the wind has blown and what the totals are so I know where to go on Saturday. Can you guys post some photos? Us desk jockey's have to live vicariously. Maybe I should wear my beacon while I read the chat room in the next few days just so I feel that I'm participating.

castlerock
02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
If you have any chance at all of getting to the mountain, I strongly suggest making it happen.

John

Will Do.....

djspookman
02-13-2007, 01:49 PM
If you have any chance at all of getting to the mountain, I strongly suggest making it happen.

John

Will Do.....

ditto!

I'm heading up early am from NH..can't wait, my only worry is getting there for first chair! :) best part is, i've dragged some co-workers along!

hehe!

Dave

Lostone
02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Maybe I should wear my beacon while I read the chat room in the next few days just so I feel that I'm participating.

I'd suggest wearing the helmet and goggles, while at work. :shock:

Never know... They might think you're working too hard, and suggest taking a couple days off. :P

Plowboy
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
I think there is going to be a lot sick days(pow clause) used. :lol:

02-13-2007, 07:39 PM
To those of you that are participating in this epic event, please post some of the snow totals and wind directions for us.
This would be greatly appreciated by the few of us who can't contract the powder flu, and join the fortunate ones!
And please no rubbing it in this weekend of "you shoulda been here" ....
Have fun!

SKI-SAN
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm praying for you guys up there to get dumped on! SNOW SNOW SNOW!!!

HowieT2
02-13-2007, 09:05 PM
To those of you that are participating in this epic event, please post some of the snow totals and wind directions for us.
This would be greatly appreciated by the few of us who can't contract the powder flu, and join the fortunate ones!
And please no rubbing it in this weekend of "you shoulda been here" ....
Have fun!

Pictures, please. I'll be up Sunday, but need to something to look at while working thursday and friday. Thank you.

shadyjay
02-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Okay - the day's been called off - time to ride....
Given the winds, should we be looking at windholds? I'm thinking L/P instead of Ellen for that reason. What direction wind closes what lifts? I don't want to get there and find out the mtns closed. I'll check before I leave, but a lot can happen in that 10 min drive (which could be longer depending on 100).

Psyched....

-Jay

Strat
02-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Right now it's really looking like the winds/blizzardy conditions won't be there until 1:30-2:00ish... I don't really know but I'm not sure wind will be a huge issue until that part of the day...

TimKeogh
02-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Wednesday ...Snow, Snow and more Snow... Godawful Heavy at Times in the afternoon.
Additional snow accumulation of 10 to 14 feet.
Highs 10 to 15 above. Blowing and drifting snow with north winds increasing to 0 to 2 mph.
Chance of snow near 10,000 percent.

Attention Groomers. Use caution as blowing snow and drifts can get snow cats stuck. **Stay off the trails unless absolutely necessary**

Attention Skiers/Riders. Never mind. Throw caution to the wind and go for it!

shadyjay
02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Wednesday ...Snow, Snow and more Snow... Godawful Heavy at Times in the afternoon.
Additional snow accumulation of 10 to 14 feet.
Highs 10 to 15 above. Blowing and drifting snow with north winds increasing to 0 to 2 mph.
Chance of snow near 10,000 percent.

God, that's a nice forecast :)
Love those winds --- and nice perfect temps.
Just one thing doesn't make sense---- blowing and driving snow with winds 0 to 2. That must be some extra light fluff!!!
Woohoooo!

iPod's all charged up and ready to go - got my chairlift drumming skills toned and my voice is set to INSANE mode.
Guess this'll be the ultimate test for the 4WD in the ole' 88 MTNRYDR!

Now, before I go to bed to rest for tomorrow, let me just say this........ the latest TWC scroll is saying 16-26" (for H20bury). Lets all be careful out on the roads tomorrow, whether you're going to the mtn or not. We want to all be safe and we all want to have a great day. Till then, adios and good luck and we'll see ya on the other side of the storm....

-Jay

ski_resort_observer
02-14-2007, 07:54 AM
The NWS has cancelled the "snowstorm warning" and replaced it with a "blizzard warning" for our area. Didn't even know there was an official blizzard warning with the NWS. :D Be careful out there guys.

Lostone
02-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Don't listen to them!

There is no snow up here.

As a matter of fact... someone stole the snow we had, yesterday... Yeah... That's the ticket! :twisted:

If I'm not around for the rest of the day, I'm probably... uh... sailing my boat... Yeah... and flying my plane in the clear skies... Yeah... That's the ticket! :twisted:

Vokls? Dynastars?

:D

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Don't listen to them!

There is no snow up here.

As a matter of fact... someone stole the snow we had, yesterday... Yeah... That's the ticket! :twisted:

If I'm not around for the rest of the day, I'm probably... uh... sailing my boat... Yeah... and flying my plane in the clear skies... Yeah... That's the ticket! :twisted:

Vokls? Dynastars?

:D

Oh yeah... definitely. I was out swimming yesterday in the snowmaking pond at North! All of the snow is gone... it's 70 degrees and raining the hottest rain ever. DO NOT COME HERE. YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. STAY AWAY!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

castlerock
02-14-2007, 12:55 PM
1:00 Dumping, there has to be 18"+ at the Castlerock Condos. Had a bomber morning, first in on Bearclaw, Low angle woods are too deep to ski. This is sick. Going out.....

tymoguls
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
I sometimes find that Canadian radar give a better picture of what is happening in our neck of the woods. Take a look at http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WMN. I looks like SB is getting a direct hit from one of the stronger bands to make its way into VT so far.

MntMan4Bush
02-14-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry, but did anyone just see Castlerock's post? "Too deep to ski" It's dumping!!!!! How great is that. Thanks for the update. CR.

random_ski_guy
02-14-2007, 01:31 PM
1:00 Dumping, there has to be 18"+ at the Castlerock Condos. Had a bomber morning, first in on Bearclaw, Low angle woods are too deep to ski. This is sick. Going out.....

Oh My God!

Tin Woodsman
02-14-2007, 01:45 PM
[quote=castlerock]1:00 Dumping, there has to be 18"+ at the Castlerock Condos. Had a bomber morning, first in on Bearclaw, Low angle woods are too deep to ski. This is sick. Going out.....

Oh My God![/quote

First on Bear Claw - nice. Upper mtn woods are officially open, finally. Hopefully they will be able to work with the USFS to clean out some of the massive amounts of deadfall in there so we can hit this threshold earlier in the year.

random_ski_guy
02-14-2007, 01:49 PM
[quote=castlerock]1:00 Dumping, there has to be 18"+ at the Castlerock Condos. Had a bomber morning, first in on Bearclaw, Low angle woods are too deep to ski. This is sick. Going out.....

Oh My God![/quote

First on Bear Claw - nice. Upper mtn woods are officially open, finally. Hopefully they will be able to work with the USFS to clean out some of the massive amounts of deadfall in there so we can hit this threshold earlier in the year.

SSSSHHH. deadfall clean up is on double secret probation. 8)

Hardbooter
02-14-2007, 01:58 PM
The saddle is a big mess too. It needs a little TLC. We went in last weekend. It was ugly.

How's the wind up there?

Tin Woodsman
02-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Officially reporting 18" as of 1:00. Me thinks 30" is well within range by tomorrow morning.

Hardbooter
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Officially reporting 18" as of 1:00. Me thinks 30" is well within range by tomorrow morning.

Ok, I now have my beacon on. My shovel and probe are under my desk. As we approach 30" I will put my helmet and goggles on as instructed. My work is slowing to a crawl only because I have to stop every few minutes to wipe the drool off my keyboard (and because the New England radar animations tend to bog down my browser.)

Tin Woodsman
02-14-2007, 02:28 PM
The saddle is a big mess too. It needs a little TLC. We went in last weekend. It was ugly.

How's the wind up there?

Is it just me, or is there more deadfall above 2500' than usual? I can't tell you how much crap I've run into this year. You can see it from the HG lift on either side of Ripcord, and it's even worse once you get in there. A mid-January trip from Ripcord to Paradise when the upper half of each was closed was a real eye-opener. Looked like Godzilla had come through and thrown all the trees down in there.

castlerock
02-14-2007, 04:42 PM

How's the wind up there?

Well it didn't get any TLC. It got slammed and choked with 2'-3' of snow and it is still dumping.

At the base there are small avi's off all the roofs. My back deck was clean yesterday and the snow is almost up to the railing. The skiing was as good as you could guess. There was a period around 2:00 when there was more snow in the air than I have ever seen. You didn't want to fall in the woods all day. It was hard labor to get back up. I skied liftline last run and there were no tracks. None.

As for wind the top 200-300 vert of both HG and CR were wind scoured to wind packed. From there down it was sick.

My car is invisible. This is like Alta with better beer.

Tin Woodsman
02-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Paging Castlerock to the TR forum. A Mr. Castlerock, please report immediately to the TR forum to download your full thoughts and experiences for the day.

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 05:05 PM
At least 24-30" at mid mountain on Mt Ellen! :D I didn't measure with a measuring tape this time, but it was at least 3/4 of the way up my 42" poles (yeah... short poles... for bump skiing).

random_ski_guy
02-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Any guess how many people made it out there today? small crowd? dead? it was $14 day to boot.

Can imagine 24-30 inches with snow still coming down. Just awesome.

Strat
02-14-2007, 05:30 PM
There was a fair crowd at South, especially when one when into the lodge. Snow + cheap tickets = full parking lot by 9 am (except for the front row where I parked - everyone must have assumed it would already be full..)

8)

castlerock
02-14-2007, 05:32 PM
There was a fair crowd at South, especially when one when into the lodge. Snow + cheap tickets = full parking lot by 9 am (except for the front row where I parked - everyone must have assumed it would already be full..)

8)

There was no one on the lifts after three....

Strat
02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
I was one of the early quitters... but around noon the lodge was quite busy... they weren't selling a ton of food, but it was very full...

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Alright, folks, here's the proof of 32" +/- an inch or two at the BASE of Mt. Ellen.

taken outside my door around 5:45 PM:

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/32inches.jpg

Strat
02-14-2007, 06:16 PM

Wait a minute, did you photoshop out your hand?

BushMogulMaster
02-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Wait a minute, did you photoshop out your hand?

No... the blur at the top is the snow falling. No joke!

sugarboarder
02-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I didn't wait in anything I'd call a lift line all day! :D

Had a scary experience though. I thought I was coming down with a cold last night, but was determined not to let it stop me today. Feeling a little worse this morning but ignored it. Stayed on-trail the first 8 runs. Then ducked into Rumble/ME woods off the cat track - solo. Windblown at the top of the sluice, but quickly rideable. It's been since two years ago that I ventured in there with the bad snow year we had last season. Lots of deadfall in lines I've always known to be open, so I had to battle a little to get open lines - working right towards Rumble. MAN it was DEEP!! Finally decided it was too deep to enjoy the flatter sections and tried to work my way out to Middle Earth. That's where the problems began. I started to feel dizzy and weak, and the goggles fogged up and I was sweating pretty good trying to make my way out...which got harder and harder. And I started feeling worse and worse. Finally made it out, but was feeling reaaly nauseous and dizzy - and getting chills. Took the CR chair back up and sat in the warming hut for a while, but still was feeling pretty poor. Took CR run to HG and up and then Jester to Twist. On Twist I just started falling randomly - losing balance and dizziness getting worse. Legs barely held me up to get to the lodge, at which point I couldn't see straight and the dizziness was terrible whenever I opened my eyes.

Thought it could be dehydration but I drank a ton of fluids this morning, and more in the CR hut. Turns out I have full-on Flu!! Can barely move now, chills, fever etc. - a great day overall but I'm feeling REALLY lucky I was able to get out of those woods before passing out in there...that might have been the end. Going solo in the woods is always a risk - even though I've done it a lot - but doing it in a major storm when feeling sick is not something I'll ever try again! :shock:

Oh yeah...my deck at 7pm tonight...

http://www.cloudtenweb.com/bomber/2_14_snow_deck.jpg

Lostone
02-14-2007, 07:36 PM
There was no one on the lifts after three....

I had switched to Gatehouse around 3:00. Played there until around 3:50. 8)

shadyjay
02-14-2007, 07:38 PM
That's funny (well, not really, for you).... a similar thing happened last year to me, exactly one year ago.....
My cousin was up from CT for a few days and we made plans to ride during $14 day last year. I had arranged to call in sick. Well, I woke up the morning of the 14th and felt like crap. Still, the deed was done - I was called out. I drove to the mtn, met up with my cousin and we started riding. The liftrides brought out nausea and at several points I almost lost it. Since conditions weren't the greatest (rivers running full throttle in the Super Bravo liftline before Coffee Run) we only lasted a few hours. Turned out everyone who came up that weekend, except my cousin, got sick. Some crazy bug that one of our friends brought up.

This year's 14th was a thousand times better.

-Jay

Lostone
02-14-2007, 08:34 PM
sugarboarder, you were very brave going into the woods alone, especially in such a lightly traveled area.

Brains...? But you were brave. :wink:

Love the pic of the snow, with the layers. I was refering to the snow as having different consistencies, and I think your pic shows that. 8)

freeheel_skier
02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Never made it out...out of bed! :( I've got what sugarboarder has.....effing flu! Starting to feel better. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Been drinking gatorade, eating toast and soup in my jammies with the feet in them :oops: That is what I get for blowing off a conference call to ski Monday :roll: Gotta have priorities :D

sugarboarder
02-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Never made it out...out of bed! :( I've got what sugarboarder has.....effing flu! Starting to feel better. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Been drinking gatorade, eating toast and soup in my jammies with the feet in them :oops: That is what I get for blowing off a conference call to ski Monday :roll: Gotta have priorities :D

What crappy timing huh!?!? Mine really came on quick. The only good thing is that it is nowhere near as bad as list time I had the flu - the chills and sweats aren't as extreme. just congestion, body aches, and exhaustion. I feel lucky I got to get out there at all yesterday though. The syptoms really didn't kick in until I had to struggle out of the woods and got all sweaty and dehydrated - but the on-trail runs were phenomenal while my legs still held me up. That last run though, it was a VERY strange experience to all of a sudden be falling where I would normally never fall.

I have a Nationals qualifier GS at Bromley tomorrow and I'm planning to go unless I physically cannot walk - need to win my division to qualify so got to do it! Gatorade, toast and chicken soup today - I'm with ya FS!!!

sugarboarder
02-15-2007, 01:35 PM
sugarboarder, you were very brave going into the woods alone, especially in such a lightly traveled area.

Brains...? But you were brave. :wink:

Love the pic of the snow, with the layers. I was refering to the snow as having different consistencies, and I think your pic shows that. 8)

I've been doing it for 20+ years so didn't even think twice about it. The lines have definitely changed in there though, and without a real base under all the new stuff it was really hard to sneak through holes to get to where I wanted to be. I had done cotillion woods the run before and it was SWEET, no problem at all! Oh well, live (so far) and learn. 8)

I shoveled that deck this morning and there were definitely different snow types. It broke into blocks top to bottom at places, and whole parts of the surface actually collapsed on itself when I stepped onto the deck - like there was air between the crystals as they were piling up - happened with the snow on my driveway too...never seen that before!

noski
02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
... and whole parts of the surface actually collapsed on itself when I stepped onto the deck - like there was air between the crystals as they were piling up - happened with the snow on my driveway too...never seen that before!

I think that was avalanche. Good thing you are ok. :)

sugarboarder
02-15-2007, 10:00 PM
... and whole parts of the surface actually collapsed on itself when I stepped onto the deck - like there was air between the crystals as they were piling up - happened with the snow on my driveway too...never seen that before!

I think that was avalanche. Good thing you are ok. :)

Yeah - can you imagine...local resident killed by avalanche on his deck!! :lol:

freeheel_skier
02-15-2007, 10:21 PM

What crappy timing huh!?!? Mine really came on quick. The only good thing is that it is nowhere near as bad as list time I had the flu - the chills and sweats aren't as extreme. just congestion, body aches, and exhaustion. I feel lucky I got to get out there at all yesterday though. The syptoms really didn't kick in until I had to struggle out of the woods and got all sweaty and dehydrated - but the on-trail runs were phenomenal while my legs still held me up. That last run though, it was a VERY strange experience to all of a sudden be falling where I would normally never fall.

I have a Nationals qualifier GS at Bromley tomorrow and I'm planning to go unless I physically cannot walk - need to win my division to qualify so got to do it! Gatorade, toast and chicken soup today - I'm with ya FS!!!

Good Luck with the nationals @ bromley. I have been on again off again with this shiate...about 10 days. You forgot the jammies! :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw...there is truth in wine!