PDA

View Full Version : A good read for those interested in the ski industry...

BushMogulMaster
02-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Downhill Slide: Why the Corporate Ski Industry Is Bad for Skiing, Ski Towns, and the Environment

http://www.amazon.com/Downhill-Slide-Corporate-Industry-Environment/dp/1578051029

Most of it is great. There are a few chapters that seem a bit off the wall to me, but all-in-all, the message seems right. Don't ask me what it's about... if you haven't figured it out from the title, then you probably shouldn't try to read it anyway! :wink:

random_ski_guy
02-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Sorry dude, sounds like Blasphemy!!!!!! :evil: Even if its points are valid. :)

BushMogulMaster
02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Sorry dude, sounds like Blasphemy!!!!!! :evil: Even if its points are valid. :)

What's wrong with pointing out that the ASCs and Intrawests of the world are ruining skiing and ski towns? This guy is very into skiing... he's just pointing out that big corporate ski companies are ruining the atmosphere and environment of skiing, and creating a cookie-cutter "Disney World" feel.

Mike_451
02-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, and unfortunately ASCifying a town involves driving off all the locals, replacing them with flatlanders so that there is nobody to scare away all the new Yawkers.

freeheel_skier
02-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah, and unfourtionay ASCifying a town involves driving off all the locals, replacing them with flatlanders so that there is nobody to scare away all the new Yawkers.

:shock:

unfrotunately? :roll:

Mike_451
02-11-2007, 05:33 PM
My bad, what a misspelling :oops:

Its true, Look at Killington, the perfect example of ASC'S vision of what a VT ski town should be.

random_ski_guy
02-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I'll start with the title; I just don't like it. Maybe because I perceive myself as being part of the so called problem; live in one place, ski in another. After all, I consume lots of natural resoures in my ventures between the two locales, enjoy snowmaking, grooming (bumps too!), lifts, lodging, paved parking lots and flush toliets too. None of which are good for the environment. Well flush toliets maybe are good, :).

Anywho, I think there are much better environmental agendas to be had than attacking ski towns and ski areas.

Okay, I was a little inaccurate with my initial response above. I've since looked at the book at the amazon site and read the reader reviews. I'm a little more interested in it now, but I'm fairly confident I'm going to disagree with much of it. Because you're pushing it BMM, thats worth something to since I respect your opinions in this forum.

BushMogulMaster
02-11-2007, 06:26 PM
I'll start with the title; I just don't like it. Maybe because I perceive myself as being part of the so called problem; live in one place, ski in another. After all, I consume lots of natural resoures in my ventures between the two locales, enjoy snowmaking, grooming (bumps too!), lifts, lodging, paved parking lots and flush toliets too. None of which are good for the environment. Well flush toliets maybe are good, :).

Anywho, I think there are much better environmental agendas to be had than attacking ski towns and ski areas.

Okay, I was a little inaccurate with my initial response above. I've since looked at the book at the amazon site and read the reader reviews. I'm a littled more interested in it now, but I'm fairly confident I'm going to disagree with much of it. Because you're pushing it BMM, thats worth something to since I respect your opinions in this forum.

I appreciate your respect for my opinions. The book really is more about what too much real estate and commercial development can do to hurt ski areas and ski towns, rather than saying that people like you are hurting the environment (which is really not the message he's trying to convey at all). Of course, if you read and still don't agree... you're definitely entitled to that! :wink: By the way, I don't personally read any of it as being specifically an environmental agenda attacking ski areas/towns.