PDA

View Full Version : Lower FIS question

tymoguls
02-08-2007, 10:40 PM
In reviewing the superb collection of historical trail maps at http://www.sugarbushhistory.com, I noticed that Lower FIS used to merge into the top of Graduation. However, the newer maps have it staying off to skiers right and ending on the long run/walk/skate out. When I look at aerials via google earth, it looks like the old trail cut is still visible. Is it still possible to ski directly to the top of Graduation, or is there a good reason this route is no longer marked on the maps.

Hardbooter
02-09-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm pretty sure thats just an error in the old maps. Lower FIS would have to go uphill to get to graduation. I've looked at topo maps and area photos and I've skied those woods and I've never seen any sign that it went anywhere else above the current road. Actually, I think it used to proceed past where it is now and dead end in private land. My guess is that it owes its entire existence to somebody's real-estate plan. It has about as much flat trail as does village run which was obviously designed by real-estate developers and not skiers.

Strat
02-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Which map are you referring to? I'm not seeing it...

Plowboy
02-09-2007, 09:03 AM
There are still a few original Glen Ellen skiers that have houses @ ME Village. Let me see if I can get some info and or pics from the old days. The first time I skied GE was in 74'. The way back from L FIS has always been the the same, other then some grading and ditching. There is an old roughed in road to the right of the red duplex @ the end of the Village Rd. It was pretty wide and went a ways in.

tymoguls
02-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Take a look at the 78/79 LP/ME map (for example) and then compare it to the current map. Now that look at it again, they look more alike than different. But there is a dead end spur on the old map. When I have more time, I'll try to get some details posted.

BushMogulMaster
02-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Take a look at the 78/79 LP/ME map (for example) and then compare it to the current map. Now that look at it again, they look more alike than different. But there is a dead end spur on the old map. When I have more time, I'll try to get some details posted.

It's the same... it comes out onto Snowflake. What may have been confusing is that Snowflake disappeared from the map for a while.

The spur was from when the trail FIS to Lower FIS was an official FIS downhill course. At the bottom of the spur was (and still is) a timing shack (and maybe a grandstand?).

Strat
02-09-2007, 11:54 PM

It's the same... it comes out onto Snowflake. What may have been confusing is that Snowflake disappeared from the map for a while.

The spur was from when the trail FIS to Lower FIS was an official FIS downhill course. At the bottom of the spur was (and still is) a timing shack (and maybe a grandstand?).
I've seen the shack snowshoeing around, but never a grandstand... I should go back at some point, really nice back there...