PDA

View Full Version : End of week weather

BushMogulMaster
02-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Our NWS Forecast for 3000'

Today: Snow showers likely. Partly cloudy and cold, with a high near 7. Wind chill values between -12 and -17. Breezy, with a west wind between 15 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1am. Partly cloudy, then becoming cloudy toward daybreak, with a low around -3. Wind chill values between -12 and -18. West wind between 11 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Friday: Scattered snow showers. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 8. Wind chill values between -13 and -23. West wind between 15 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

That translates to about 5-11"! :D :D :D

castlerock
02-08-2007, 08:15 AM
From the discussion
It highlights the enhancement now and potentially a good orographic kicker on Friday! This is all pleasant surprise (if it transpires)

.........CERTAINLY EXPECT MANY SPOTS TO PICK UP A GOOD 3-6 INCH SNOWFALL ACROSS THE
NRN MTNS BY 12Z FRIDAY. DUE TO ENHANCED CLOUD COVER AND FULL NBL
COUPLING/GUSTINESS...WILL OPT TO GO A FEW DEGREES ABOVE MEAN MOS
BLENDED GUIDANCE TONIGHT.

BY FRIDAY...THIRD AND POTENTIALLY MOST SIGNIFICANT FEATURE...MAINLY
FOR THE NRN MTNS...PUSHES SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE REGION. THIS FEATURE
IS DIFFERENT IN THAT IT/S ACCOMPANIED BY ENHANCED WARM ADVECTION
ALOFT IN THE 850-700 HPA LYR. INDEED...PWATS ACTUALLY SURGE TO NEAR
0.25 INCHES (HIGHER THAN THE EARLIER TWO SHORTWAVES)........449 AM EST THU FEB 8 2007

walks
02-08-2007, 08:43 AM
This is all pleasant surprise (if it transpires)

Not for me. Hope it happens and enjoy.

walks
02-08-2007, 08:45 AM
This is all pleasant surprise (if it transpires)

trying to get this quote thing right.

Tin Woodsman
02-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Surprised they picked up 2-3" last night. If the forecast verifies, were lookingh at another fine weekend, along with most of the cleaner woods lines opening up.

skiladi
02-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Surprised they picked up 2-3" last night. If the forecast verifies, were lookingh at another fine weekend, along with most of the cleaner woods lines opening up.

Slidebrook ready? I came out of the woods "somewhere" at the Rock and told my husband we need another 2-4 but I said that would be feet , not inches! Have yet to venture in to the basin. Any one out there have a report?

Yard Sale
02-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Orographic: Is she related to Cyclogesis?

castlerock
02-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Slidebrook ready? I came out of the woods "somewhere" at the Rock and told my husband we need another 2-4 but I said that would be feet , not inches! Have yet to venture in to the basin. Any one out there have a report?

marginal....my son was in there two weeks ago. I imagine that this orographic stuff won't improve it that much. Slidebrook (the part accessed from South anyway) is relatively low and east of the spine of the Greens. As such, any snow event that has a disparity in depth from the Summit to Base (the old 1"-4" orographic enhanced clipper) tends not to help Slidebrook that much. But chacun a son gout, I may be more conservative in my old age than the rest of you.

castlerock
02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Orographic: Is she related to Cyclogesis?
No not really, but I guess she could be, if cyclogenisis was HUGE and far away

skiladi
02-08-2007, 09:48 AM

marginal....my son was in there two weeks ago. I imagine that this orographic stuff won't improve it that much. Slidebrook (the part accessed from South anyway) is relatively low and east of the spine of the Greens. As such, any snow event that has a disparity in depth from the Summit to Base (the old 1"-4" orographic enhanced clipper) tends not to help Slidebrook that much. But chacun a son gout, I may be more conservative in my old age than the rest of you.

UUUUUUUH?Are you saying you have gout? Hubby gets it more in the summer. It is awful pain!! Thanks for the update.

Tin Woodsman
02-08-2007, 09:59 AM

Probably true, but some of the lower mtn hardwoods in popular spots were just coming into season last weekend, so I'd imagine that another 6" on top of the 10-12" we've received since your son was in there might do the trick. Guess I'll have to investigate.

castlerock
02-08-2007, 10:02 AM
.......... But chacun a son gout, I may be more conservative in my old age than the rest of you.

UUUUUUUH?Are you saying you have gout? Hubby gets it more in the summer. It is awful pain!! Thanks for the update.

No I have managed to avoid it so far, remember I said I was more conservative in my old age. I've had to cut down on my drinking, nothing before noon anymore!

MntMan4Bush
02-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I was in there on Sunday right after the race and it is getting there. The top part was a little skied but that's just packing a good foundation. It was a bit dodgy if you went out on your own on the sides. By that I mean I didn't hit anything underfoot, but I felt a bit nervous that I might at any time. That was the top third (After the traverse). The rest had decent cover all the way down, no core shots, but I did hit a stump and barely recovered. It funelled you a bit though towards the bottom to where you could see others went just because you know that bump in your line is caused by some den of snow snakes or something and you didn't want to be the first to hit it.

Another foot I think. Don't get me wrong 2 would be great, but 1 would be doable. Haven't dipped in from North yet this year.

skiladi
02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
.......... But chacun a son gout, I may be more conservative in my old age than the rest of you.

No I have managed to avoid it so far, remember I said I was more conservative in my old age. I've had to cut down on my drinking, nothing before noon anymore!

Oh , glad to hear that but that doesn't decipher the "code". :?

castlerock
02-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Probably true, but some of the lower mtn hardwoods in popular spots were just coming into season last weekend, so I'd imagine that another 6" on top of the 10-12" we've received since your son was in there might do the trick. Guess I'll have to investigate.

Yeas I tried out some of the usual lower mountain stuff last weekend off Grinder, I was still paralyzed in abject fear for my legs in there. (well maybe a slight exaguration)

Where is our wet coastal storm that will put 1"-2" of water equivalent between me and all that damn fallen deadwood.

skiladi
02-08-2007, 10:09 AM
I was in there on Sunday right after the race and it is getting there. The top part was a little skied but that's just packing a good foundation. It was a bit dodgy if you went out on your own on the sides. By that I mean I didn't hit anything underfoot, but I felt a bit nervous that I might at any time. That was the top third (After the traverse). The rest had decent cover all the way down, no core shots, but I did hit a stump and barely recovered. It funelled you a bit though towards the bottom to where you could see others went just because you know that bump in your line is caused by some den of snow snakes or something and you didn't want to be the first to hit it.

Another foot I think. Don't get me wrong 2 would be great, but 1 would be doable. Haven't dipped in from North yet this year.

Thanks for running surveillance. Guess I should pack the rock skis.

castlerock
02-08-2007, 10:11 AM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chacun_%C3%A0_son_go%C3%BBt

Tin Woodsman
02-08-2007, 10:13 AM

Yeas I tried out some of the usual lower mountain stuff last weekend off Grinder, I was still paralyzed in abject fear for my legs in there. (well maybe a slight exaguration)

Where is our wet coastal storm that will put 1"-2" of water equivalent between me and all that damn fallen deadwood.

Definitely slow going in there, though if you did some exploring to find the road less traveled on lower angle slopes, you definitely could find the right balance between spped, enjoyment, and safety. Hit a couple lurking beasts, but was going slow enough that it didn't matter. Climbing out of the pit at the bottom wasn't so fun though.

skiladi
02-08-2007, 10:14 AM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chacun_%C3%A0_son_go%C3%BBt

Why , thank you! My french stops at " I'll have the escargot , the chevre salad and a courvoisier. " ; } And apres , of course!

BushMogulMaster
02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I haven't really even dipped into any woods this year. Maybe over the weekend.

bumpcrasher
02-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Getting close!! I think if we had another 12-18 inches we would be good to go all over. I did hit Egan's Woods which had great cover (even on Sunday). Slidebrook was somewhat dicey. I mean you can do it if you really want but it needs a little more snow to be the woods skiing we know and love.

Hardbooter
02-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I was in slide brook last Saturday and it was skiable but the traverse was in lousy shape. It was a bad combination of very fast and very thin. There are exposed logs and the turns in "pinball alley" (thats the first spot where you have to make left and right turns between the pines) were scraping wood and rocks. Other than that, the turns on the trail were pretty good all the way until the last quarter where we started to see stuff sticking up between the moguls. So you have to keep your eyes open.
It looks like we've picked up about 6 inches this week. Another 6-12 and we should be good to go.