PDA

View Full Version : Half pipe, for those who are interested

BushMogulMaster
02-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I personally have no interest in anything park/pipe, but I got stuck on Sunny D yesterday for 15 minutes after skiing Lower FIS, and was able to get a decent shot of the new pipe.

Here ya go:

http://www.sugarbushhistory.com/images/pipe.jpg

tymoguls
02-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Nice shot. Thanks.

BTW how was Lower FIS? It's on my hit list, but it's hard to commit to it having never seen it. If you could compare it in difficulty/coverage to another ME run, which would it be? (i.e., if you can ski X, you won't have any trouble on Lower FIS, where X is the least difficult of the options)

BushMogulMaster
02-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Nice shot. Thanks.

BTW how was Lower FIS? It's on my hit list, but it's hard to commit to it having never seen it. If you could compare it in difficulty/coverage to another ME run, which would it be? (i.e., if you can ski X, you won't have any trouble on Lower FIS, where X is the least difficult of the options)

Lower FIS was lots of fun! Thin in places, still some bushwhacking through the weeds, but a blast nonetheless.

Hmmm... tough to compare to another trail since Lower FIS is a beast of its own in any conditions. But at the moment, I'd say Tumbler is the closest comparison. Just be careful on the runout... some of the waterbars will reach out and grab your tips! :shock:

tymoguls
02-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Very helpful. Thanks!

BushMogulMaster
02-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Very helpful. Thanks!

Glad to be of assistance! :D

Lostone
02-05-2007, 09:21 PM
When you think of Lower FIS, don't think of FIS. Think of a really nice run with a finish of... an uphill skate. And apparently waterbars, still, this year. :roll:

I don't think there is any trail that compares with it, for description.

I think you should go. You never know, until you go. :wink:

sugarboarder
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
When you think of Lower FIS, don't think of FIS. Think of a really nice run with a finish of... an uphill skate. And apparently waterbars, still, this year. :roll:

I don't think there is any trail that compares with it, for description.

I think you should go. You never know, until you go. :wink:

Lostone - maybe you should split this thread since you are taking it off topic??? :P

sugarboarder
02-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I personally have no interest in anything park/pipe, but I got stuck on Sunny D yesterday for 15 minutes after skiing Lower FIS, and was able to get a decent shot of the new pipe.

Here ya go:

Thatz the lamest looking halfpipe I've seen in a long time - but it's better than nothing I guess. :?

BushMogulMaster
02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Thatz the lamest looking halfpipe I've seen in a long time - but it's better than nothing I guess. :?

Why? I don't know anything about it, so I'm curious what you find inadequate about it... :?: :?: :?:

sugarboarder
02-05-2007, 11:36 PM

Why? I don't know anything about it, so I'm curious what you find inadequate about it... :?: :?: :?:

Size does matter.

Strat
02-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Definitely petite, no doubt about it. Location's a little funky too... seems like a few run-ins will ensue (I'm talking the verbal kind, though potentially spurred by the physical kind).

castlerock
02-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Size does matter.

As someone who measures things for a living, (and is intimately familiar with measurement error) I'm not sure one can adequately ascertain the size of the pipe from that photo. The halfpipes at Ellen in the past have been satisfactory, I see no reason for them to create a "lame" one now.....

If I had to estimate, I'd guess the sides are at least 10'-15' tall based on perspective and guessing about the lens on the camera. Is that "tiny"?

Why does there have to be criticism first all the time. Especially on so little real evidence.

Seriously, go ride it Sugarboarder. THEN let us know your opinion. (maybe we get another mea culpa)

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Size does matter.

As someone who measures things for a living, (and is intimately familiar with measurement error) I'm not sure one can adequately ascertain the size of the pipe from that photo. The halfpipes at Ellen in the past have been satisfactory, I see no reason for them to create a "lame" one now.....

If I had to estimate, I'd guess the sides are at least 10'-15' tall based on perspective and guessing about the lens on the camera. Is that "tiny"?

Why does there have to be criticism first all the time. Especially on so little real evidence.

Seriously, go ride it Sugarboarder. THEN let us know your opinion. (maybe we get another mea culpa)

Ahhh, you assume much grasshopper...I have already been there (i.e. REAL evidence), before I saw the photo. A 10'-15' tall pipe is small (it's not 15), and it is short - about 4-5 "hits" worth. Like I said, better than nothing though. And yes, past ME pipes have been "satisfactory" - but when you see a real pipe (i.e. Okemo, Loon, Stratton) you will know what I am talking about.

I take issue with criticism first all the time - if you are talking about my posts. And yes, I've been critical of some things, but no less critical than the rest of you guys about CR pub and Timbers and Lift Speed and...well...you get the point.

I was pretty happy to hear "Superparx" was building the pipe - but it really is a disappointment. There was MUCH more room for it in the old location, although the placement as far as sun exposure left something to be desired. The mountain is putting in the effort to attract the "park/pipe" snowboarders/skiers and has hired Superparx to that end...maybe there is a better outfit out there (there is). That being said, having a pipe this year is a plus...many don't...thus my "better than nothing" comment.

And as for criticism, how is the mountain going to do better if they don't know the clientele is not satisfied? SB has come a long way under SV - but there is more work to be done of course. We are lucky we have an owner that will listen, and takes criticism and considers what can be done about it. So no - no mea culpa.

Tin Woodsman
02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
It certainly does look cute, doesn't it?

castlerock
02-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Ahhh, you assume much grasshopper...I have already been there (i.e. REAL evidence), before I saw the photo. A 10'-15' tall pipe is small (it's not 15), and it is short - about 4-5 "hits" worth. Like I said, better than nothing though. And yes, past ME pipes have been "satisfactory" - but when you see a real pipe (i.e. Okemo, Loon, Stratton) you will know what I am talking about.

I take issue with criticism first all the time - if you are talking about my posts. And yes, I've been critical of some things, but no less critical than the rest of you guys about CR pub and Timbers and Lift Speed and...well...you get the point.

Yes master, I have seen a real pipe, and I have not seen this one. But I'm glad I don't have to see one at Loon, Okemo, or Stratton (spoken with the air or superiority inherent in Northern VT).

Also, I'm glad you are able to discern the difference between general and specific in my comment on criticism first, there was no specific pronoun in my comment.

But alas, everyone is a critic....

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Yes master, I have seen a real pipe, and I have not seen this one. But I'm glad I don't have to see one at Loon, Okemo, or Stratton (spoken with the air or superiority inherent in Northern VT).

Amen brother!

...and to support at least MY part in being non-critical when possible:
http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=736

Hardbooter
02-07-2007, 01:09 PM
It looks very small to me too but I think a more important question would be: why is it there? The old location facing the deck and bar was inspired. It begs the question, if a snowboarder falls and no beer drinkers are there to see it, has he really fallen at all?

daevious
02-07-2007, 02:01 PM
The former pipe location, while great for specatators, had a weird fall line and a terrible sun exposure that meant that one wall was always falling apart and the other was a block of ice, and it was difficult to keep the walls the same height and angle. The old one was also a "Superpipe," which the current one is not--and I have heard that was done on purpose.

Learning to ride or ski a pipe in a superpipe is like trying to learn bumps on Liftine or Rumble. Most areas that have a superpipe also have a "regular" pipe for mortals. If you only have one, more people will be served by a smaller one. That may not please those relatively few people who are competent in a large pipe, but I think the logic here was to provide the greatest good for the greatest number.

Mike_451
02-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I also hear that the Superpipe cost nearly a hundred grand to make, and that they are saving alot of money, that can be used to make more snow, for other park features, or on other places of the mountain where it is needed.

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 10:34 PM
I also hear that the Superpipe cost nearly a hundred grand to make, and that they are saving alot of money, that can be used to make more snow, for other park features, or on other places of the mountain where it is needed.

:shock: :?

Mike_451
02-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Somewhere between 75 and 100 grand from what I have heard. That figure includes snowmaking (alot of engergy to make a 20 x 40 x 400 brick of snow) and maintaining it into April.

In addition, I heard that the slope it was on, was not steep enough for it to be a "regulation" superpipe, or at least if the pipe was, it probably required alot of aditional snow to build up the slope to achieve the required pitch.

Alot of places seem to have their pipes dug into the ground, which costs alot of money initially, puts it in one permanent location, and requires alot less snowmaking.

Now, here is an Idea, what about making the half pipe and possibly some of the larger jumps, up on a trail like Which Way, the top of Cruiser, or even lower Elbow, and then being able to push that snow down, come warm weather, to keep things top to bottom longer? Seems kind of odd seeing piles of snow still in the park, and were the pipe was, with a completely bare mountain in the back ground.

sugarboarder
02-08-2007, 12:09 AM
http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/images/smilies/sleep.gif