PDA

View Full Version : Timbers

MntMan4Bush
02-05-2007, 10:37 AM
So I've seen all the posts about the CR Pub and all the people generally unhappy with the setup so I won't make this post about the CR. After Timbers was opened up for Apres I figured I'd give that a fair shake. This is what I found:

- At about 3:35/4:00 I went in and there were few people in there. I grabbed a pair of tables for my crew and tried to place a drink order.
- At about 4:20 I was able to get in my beer order despite the fact there weren't that many people in the bar. It seemed our waitress was never around and when she did present herself she zipped by us without looking. A lady at the table next to me was laughing and told me the same happened to her for about 15 minutes.
- Chalking up the first delay in drink gathering to possible confusion on who would serve us and/or some of us were settling in we tried to order up another round. 15 minutes after we finished our last drinks she came by again. We ordered another round and asked if we could have some nuts like the ones they had at the bar. She said she'd see if she could do something. Beers came by 10 minutes later with no nuts. For our third round some guy came by and askd if we needed anything. We figured since we hadn't seen our waitress in a while they changed shifts so we ordered with him. She finally came by and we asked for some nuts again. No dice. "I probably won't be able to get them".
- Somewhere during the process we grabbed some menus ourselves to maybe order some snacks. Definitely not an Apres menu (although it did look very good for dinner). After skiing we wanted some wings, nachos and potatoe skins or something. Not Vermont Red Deer carpaccio with slivered north Holland darkened greens or something to that effect.

So we finally wrapped up and walked out hungry and thirsty. Now my point of this post is to see if people had a similar apres experience there and maybe provide feedback to make it better. I think that SB did a great job on Timbers as far as a restaurant goes. It has a great atmosphere, the menu looks very tastey and DMB playing softly in the background was a nice touch. I also appreciate that some more space to order a beer was opened up for Apres, but I think that perhaps some more wait staff on a Saturday may be necessary. What I also liked is it had a lot more open space, more tables available and teh couches were a nice touch. Maybe though an Apres menu might be in order. It can be a scaled up one and doesn't have to be just chili and plain nachos only. Maybe have some soups, nice nachos (not CR soggy tostitos), buffalo wings, potatoe skins etc.

Tin Woodsman
02-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I think hyour sentiments are pretty much spot on with 90% of the people here who have ventured into Timbers for apres ski. The available seats there aren't much good if the service drives people away and the menu is completely inappropriate for the apres crowd/experience. This should be an asset, b/c there have to be any number of people who aren't interested in shoehorning themselves into CR Pub on weekends.

MntMan4Bush
02-05-2007, 01:32 PM
I just wanted to start a focued thread on Timbers. I saw Win in there on Saturday and the place looked like it was a success (plenty more people), but from a patron it didn't feel that way. I was ready to lay down quite a few more ducketts hanging out, but had to bail with cash in my pocket. Good for me, not for the Bush. I think Timbers has huge potential and it will probably take a little time to get it right.

On a side note I've had some good times in the CR Pub. They bring in great bands (which is a sacrific you have to make when at timbers). The only reason though is because we got one of teh few tables close to a waitress route because wifey goes in early and secures a spot. One of our house-mates refuses to even step foot in teh pub even if we have a table out of general principle of how frustrated he is. We almost had him convinced to try Timbers until he heard our review. Without a table right by teh waitress station then forget it. You;ll probably get served quicker if you go sit inside the shell of teh Bluetooth.

random_ski_guy
02-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Wow, that wasn't my experience at all last week when we ate there on a number of occassions. I guess I was lucky.

Its a shame that patrons who are ready to open their wallets can't because no one is there to serve them.

I do think that they need more appropriate munchie items for apre ski. The portions could be a touch larger too. Just a touch.

How about that wine list by the way, very affordable I thought.

Fourwide
02-05-2007, 02:17 PM
My wife and I had a very nice dinner Sat. night. Our waitress was very pleasant and polite (but very green). We made sure to order our drinks immediately, and our dinner/wine as soon as the drinks arrived (which is still a beat slow--nearly 10 mins.). The salads and entrees were very, very good. Agreed re. the wine list--nice selections. We had a Trefethen '02 Cab, which was fairly priced. There are other very nice wines on that list, and all very fairly priced--someone spent some time and attention on that. I'd say the service all around is about 20% too slow. They should make sure to get the drinks to the table immediately--that sets the tone.

CapeSkiGuy
02-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm glad this was brought up by somebody besides myself.
Last two weekends, I have spent time at Timbers during apres-ski. We tried to get a table, in the inner bar area, but were told we could not, because they were "setting up for dinner". That's great. We asked if we could get appetizers, since we had the apres-munchies. We were told (by the hostess) that there would be no food service until dinner began at 5 PM. So...we moved to the three-deep bar and tried to get service, which took quite a while.

The positive: I love this bar/restaurant. I don't like to be jammed in like in the CR, so this is where I turn. There are many more like me, who gave up being shoulder-to-shoulder in bars some time ago. (I'm probably just too old). I love the food, the beer selection is great, and the atmosphere is nice.

The negative: It's been open long enough now that the service problems should be ironed out. Getting a waitress or bartender to take a drink order is not rocket science when you are in the restaurant business. Also, telling people they cannot have food or have a table is no way to make money. Something's gotta give here. An apres-ski menu of some sort would probably sell well. It need not consist of billion-year-old sea salt, or anything like that. Also, how about allowing people to sit at the tables in the inner area during apres-ski? The outer tables can then be set up for dinner. It doesn't take that long to set the inner tables up. There are plenty of staff members to handle it after the apres crowd filters out.

These don't seem to be unreasonable requests...maybe it's just a matter of expectations. If the management of Timbers wants a high end, sit down and dine crowd, and aims the menu and polices toward that, fine. But what they are getting, at least on Saturdays between 3 and 5:30, is a crowd of thirsty and hungry people who want beer going over the bar rapidly, some simple munchies to take the edge off, and maybe a place to sit and unbuckle for a while. Can we coexist? If it were my decision, I'd give the existing, money-spending customers what they want, and change to white-tablecloth dining after say 6:00. Refusing the apres crowd food and seating is not going to bump the bottom line...and sends frustrated people elsewhere for apres.

Disclaimer: The foregoing is intended as constructive criticism, and is not intended to denigrate or ridicule anyone working at SB in any capacity. It is merely the opinion of someone who drinks a lot of beer after he skis.
:D [/i]

MntMan4Bush
02-05-2007, 02:30 PM
It's good to hear that dinner was very good as we've been meaning to stay for dinner one night, but haven't yet. The menu certainly looks good with high attention to detail. I was more commenting on Timbers as an Apres ski venue (pre-dinner/post-skiing) and if any one had experiences to share of how it went for them and if they had suggestions.

I am excited to try dinner one night. My eye is on lamb.

bumpcrasher
02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I hear ya MtnMan. I think the new apres ski scene is going through some growing pains but the potential is certainly there.
Timbers has a solid setting and the variety on tap looked great. I went there to avoid being packed in at the CR pub for another weekend. Fortunately, got a table right away but was unsuccessful at getting a beer for about 15 minutes. To me, that is not the end of the world, however, I NEED food. Conditions were so epic on Saturday that I did not go in until the end of the day. I would have gladly paid whatever they wanted for some soggy nachos, fries, hockey-puck burger, whatever. I picked up the menu and figured I had the wrong menu considering I did not think anyone would order the roasted duck appetizer. When I looked around nobody appeared to be eating anything, other than the pistachios (which were pretty good).
Again, I think Timbers has a lot of potential for apres ski, just wish that they could step the food selection as Venison Capaccio was not really what I was looking for.

Strat
02-05-2007, 05:34 PM
It does seem tough to integrate the fine-dining setup with the ease and informality of apres... a completely seperate menu would seem to do the trick, but that's definitely tough to implement, with all the staff members having to take on more responsibilities than they have at the moment, which from reviews sound even now to be a bit much to ask of them... maybe a bit of advice from an outside consultant would help streamline the serving process a bit? The majority of the non-menu complaints have been about timing... food's cold because it's been left out too long, food took too long to come, never came, drinks never made it... and that seems to be curable...

Biff, Paris-France
02-05-2007, 06:28 PM
WTF ... this in not Rocket Science .... it's pretty simple .....Anyone who has worked in a bar or food service knows the basic rules, when a person walks in and sits down, assuming it's not rush hour, in a well run bar/pub , wait staff should be there to take drink order within 45 seconds of your ass hitting that seat, they make sure you have chips, nuts trail mix, a crust of bread, whatever and get you your beer. what is the bloody problem here. would someone please tell me. why do we have to be posting this notes on this site and telling management what they should already be aware of. why is the public being charged such high prices and getting such horrendous service? Why ? Providing decent service, getting a customer a beer is not difficult.

It's as if we're doing them a favor by being there.

Win... would you care to comment ... better yet, forget the comment ... take care of the problem. your customers are unhappy and the competition is right up / down the road. Remember the whole ski industry is a service industry and people are getting some bad service at SB.

Tin Woodsman
02-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Honestly, it sounds like there was a lot of thought put into "big-picture" stuff like the design of the room and the wine list. Unfortunately, that's all irrelevant without day to day execution, planning for which seems to have been light. It's always interesting how a concept can work in one's minds eye, but can be unresponsive to what people are actually looking for and how they behave in the real world.

It's really simple - if you want Timbers to be a real apres venue and to start off-loading traffic from the overcrowded CR Pub, you need to have an apres menu featuring apres food. You need to have a wait staff that can serve a beer in under 15 minutes. You need to have a welcoming atmosphere instead of one which implies you're not welcome here unless you're ready to throw down $100 on a dinner featuring venison carpaccio.

There is a place for a venue like Timbers at SB, but it needs to be flexible and, most of all, it needs to work. If the feedback here is any indication, it's not working right now.

greenmtnboy
02-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I had lunch in Timbers Sunday. It was quite at first but got steadier. We sat at the bar, the bartender served us very quickly. The burger was good, the fries sat too long under the heat lamps.

What I find interesting, coming from a food and beverage service is the way servers approach the customer and greet them. "Hey guys, how ya doin" is very common. " What do you guys want tonight" We were spoken too that way by the waitress Satruday night at dinner time over at the Grille and the same way at Timbers Sunday. It's not just at those two places that the presentation is at best, unprofessional. It happens all over the valley.

When I go to an upper end restaraunt, I like to be spoken too in a professional manner. Maybe the mountain (Win) could pass this on to the neve F&B manager and train their staff to be more courteous to their guests.

Lostone
02-05-2007, 08:41 PM
It's not just at those two places that the presentation is at best, unprofessional. It happens all over the valley.

Interesting point. I would think that is one of the things that draw people to the valley. The fact that people treat them as people.

Of course, I don't go to a lot of "upper end restaurants", so I might be on the wrong side of that clique.

But I would think that an upper end restaurant would be an odd place to go for a burger and fries, too.

02-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Please refer to prior thread posted Jan 22, 2006 titled "Win-Win Situation for Timbers?"

The resort staff probably has "suggestion indigestion" at this point and we all might consider easing up a bit, and maybe increasing [ahem] "patience".....

Sounds like Win and staff hear and understand the suggestions for improvements but can only do so much given the time allowed and the tasks at hand.
Rome wasn't built in a day.......

The answer here may lie in eventually "growing" more qualified waitstaff in the valley, which may be somewhat time consuming.

Until then how about busing in some UVM students for additional waitstaff and bartenders????
Maybe entice them with lift tickets, transportation, and local lodging.
Oops another suggestion...
Just can't help it when you're passionate about the place!

Heard that next Saturday we might see some subtle improvement in the Timbers Apres arena.
Crossing my fingers and not my ski tips...

Hopefully the further training of existing staff at Timbers will prove fruitful in the near term, the guests can start enjoying more elbow room, apres food and drink, so the resort and Timbers can reap the reward, and we can all chat about the great skiing that we have right now, that is unmatched in the Northeast!

Biff, Paris-France
02-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Bottom Line - The ski industry is a service industry, SB has dismal service in it's most high profile setting, the Timbers.

Most of us on this site either have a season pass and or own condos. you might say that we have an interest in the success of the area. some even own a business in the local region which may rise or fall on how well SB is run. how much confidence should those peole have when SB can't seem to serve a beer. you can get better bar service at Charlie O's in Montpelier.

A bar manager lays down the law to their people " this is how we take a drink order ... this is how you take a food order .. this is how you open a bottle of wine " the lowly wait staff isn't to blame, it's the managers who aren't doing their jobs.

we have no idea of what or even if Win and staff hear and understand the suggestions for improvements but we do know that the service is below par and that's a why you pay managers.

If you're sincerely passionate about the place demand that the service at least be up to a reasonable standard.

That's what we're paying for...

there'll be " some subtle improvement in the Timbers Apres arena " just in time for the close of season.

BushMogulMaster
02-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Bottom Line - The ski industry is a service industry, SB has dismal service in it's most high profile setting, the Timbers.

Most of us on this site either have a season pass and or own condos. you might say that we have an interest in the success of the area. some even own a business in the local region which may rise or fall on how well SB is run. how much confidence should those peole have when SB can't seem to serve a beer. you can get better bar service at Charlie O's in Montpelier.

A bar manager lays down the law to their people " this is how we take a drink order ... this is how you take a food order .. this is how you open a bottle of wine " the lowly wait staff isn't to blame, it's the managers who aren't doing their jobs.

we have no idea of what or even if Win and staff hear and understand the suggestions for improvements but we do know that the service is below par and that's a why you pay managers.

If you're sincerely passionate about the place demand that the service at least be up to a reasonable standard.

That's what we're paying for...

there'll be " some subtle improvement in the Timbers Apres arena " just in time for the close of season.

See my PM, Biff. This is becoming unreasonable. You've made your point, now give Win a chance to make these changes that can't happen overnight. I assure you you're voice is being heard and your point made. Take a step back and have some patience.

We all want to see improvement... everyone's made that clear. Let's see what happens. This is another fine opportunity for Win and crew to prove what they can do. I'm confident... are you? We've seen almost all of the suggestions made on this board either come to fruition, or be explained. I don't see why this would be any different. Patience, my friends, patience.

And by the way, it's not anywhere near the "close of season." This is basically the halfway point. Plenty of time left.

castlerock
02-06-2007, 08:24 AM
And by the way, it's not anywhere near the "close of season." This is basically the halfway point. Plenty of time left.

It better not be, we've only had one real powder day (10"+)......

Now that (snow) is what we need to really take the edge off. And the Timbers thing needs time and training. This is not a typical restaurant start-up, where an ambitious chef and possibly a partner put it all on the line to create their own place, bring in their professional waitstaff friends and make a go of it. It is rather easy to draw your own ramifications from that statement.

We all want them to be successful. But my mother told me, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything, so lets not bash them here. If you have a problem when you are there go talk to the manager.

Tin Woodsman
02-06-2007, 08:31 AM

It better not be, we've only had one real powder day (10"+)......

Now that (snow) is what we need to really take the edge off. And the Timbers thing needs time and training. This is not a typical restaurant start-up, where an ambitious chef and possibly a partner put it all on the line to create their own place, bring in their professional waitstaff friends and make a go of it. It is rather easy to draw your own ramifications from that statement.

We all want them to be successful. But my mother told me, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything, so lets not bash them here. If you have a problem when you are there go talk to the manager.

I'm going to have to go ahead and, uh, disagree with you there. Thisis the perfect forum/venue for criticism of all things SB, and praise too, of course. This is a direct line into the thinking and experiences of SB's most passionate customer base. We'd be doing the mountain a disservice if we held our fire out of some perceived need for deference. I'll remind everyone that this site is an independent entity from SB, MRG, and SV. We want to see your opinion, honest and unvarnished, provided of course you don't start droppping F bombs to make your point, or begin discussions as to why MRG doesn't allow snowboarding.

MntMan4Bush
02-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Wow. My original post was only meant to share with Win how we feel things have been going. I know Win does listen and he has proven it. Sometimes he responds directly to posts and sometimes he takes action and nothing speaks like results. A while back people voiced thier issues with the CR Pub so Timbers was open for Apres, but only at the bar. (My friends also ran into the no tables allowed problem and were turned away as we sat in the CR Pub and looked through the windows and saw how empty it was the whole time - Coincidently Win the same happened to us 2 years back at the Pitcher Inn in non-apres gear, i.e. dressed nice and we haven't come back even though we're right around the corner. Different issue though) The bar only issue at Timbers was raised I believe in this forum and also through other venues. Hence last weekend and the weekend before. It was opened up in the center for Apres. Changes are happening and that is appreciated. I just don't want SB to look and say well we fixed it because no one is complaining now. It seems from similar posts that while dinner is going fairly well at Timbers that Apres still needs some fine(read: course) tuning. My friends and I all do have a house up there and season passes. We have for quite a while. We have a commitment to SB. There is no other place we want to be. That's why I'm committed to help make it better as it sounds like we all are here.

Also I'd like to point out that I know nothing about the restaurant management industry so I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to make changes as we've suggested, i.e. menus and service, so I will be somewhat patient, but I do know what I want as a consumer and I do know how easy it is to fix a no-food slow beer situtaion from my end and that's to either go to another venue or just go back home and sit by the fire and in that case no one wins. SB please take my money. Please!!!!!!

castlerock
02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm going to have to go ahead and, uh, disagree with you there. Thisis the perfect forum/venue for criticism of all things SB, and praise too, of course. This is a direct line into the thinking and experiences of SB's most passionate customer base. We'd be doing the mountain a disservice if we held our fire out of some perceived need for deference. I'll remind everyone that this site is an independent entity from SB, MRG, and SV. We want to see your opinion, honest and unvarnished, provided of course you don't start dropping F bombs to make your point, or begin discussions as to why MRG doesn't allow snowboarding.

I agree this is a good forum for criticism, there has been plenty and it really is valid. If one reads between the lines of my post, one finds the reasons for problems. And further, one could guess what my expectations for immediate resolution are (I love the third person). Dont forget Sugarbush Village for your apres ski, Chez Henri has fantastic quality classic apres fare that Cape Ski guy was looking for. And if you want room, beer and bar food, go to the Phoenix room. Hell, park your car over in the Village lot and you can be closer to it and not have to navigate the great wall of China to get to get to the parking lot.

I am a big booster of the Village, I believe it is the key to making Sugarbush more than just Sugarbush Ventures

CapeSkiGuy
02-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Tin, you are right about the Phoenix. I've been there 2 of the last 3 weekends, but not until about 5:30 when the band shows up. The only problem with going there straight from the mountain is, if your car is in the main lot, it isn't convenient for the "unbuckle my boots and have a beer" moment. My wife, friends, and I generally choose the Phoenix for later-on, or head there once we've cleaned ourselves up a bit. And based upon your recommendation, I will make it a point to check out Chez Henri.

Thanks for mentioning the village...Although my condo is not there, I have stayed there in the past, and I would love to see people heading back over there to eat, drink, and shop. Although some people don't like the "base village" concept, when it works it can be a lot of fun (for example, the one at Whistler is incredible and gets bigger every year). I want every business entity in the SB vicinity to be a success. Why? Because a rising tide lifts all boats, and I will admit that I want the value of my property to increase. (Not to turn this thread into a real estate discussion.) I believe the village will get a big lift when the new building brings skiers physically closer to it. Sort of like a link, so it doesn't seem so far away.

I'm sure the situation in Timbers re: apres ski will be changing in the near future. The folks running things are experienced business people, and will adjust their approach to meet demand. To do otherwise is to send revenue off-property. Meanwhile, I will have an apres ski beer on-mountain, then move to the Phoenix or Hyde Away or wherever, a bit later on. It's actually a great situation. We get 3 bars to choose from for apres ski (don't forget Mt. Ellen), and that is pretty dang good. Based on my personal preference, though, I will be avoiding the CR when it is really crowded. I just don't like being elbow-to-elbow any more...I tend to spill my drink. So, see y'all in Timbers!

BushMogulMaster
02-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Tin, MM4B, etc.... don't misinterpret what I was saying. Constructive criticism is good; that's one of the greatest uses of this board. What I'm saying is... the point has been made, and the same things have been reiterated over and over again. Instead of belaboring the issue further, let's watch for a little while and see if it improves. If not, then come back here again at that point and say so. Just don't expect Win to snap his fingers and make it right. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way :wink: . I think it will all work out over the coming weeks.

MntMan4Bush
02-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Can do BMM. I understand it can't happen immediately. As I mentioned I noticed some changes take place like opening the center of Timbers and that was a step in the right direction, but I think it would be easy to see all the people in there and assume everything's going great now. I mean we were all smiling. How could anyone not be last Saturday. It was such a great day of skiing and there's plenty more to come. I just wanted to hear from others who have experienced this since Timbers opened up more for Apres. It could have just been a case of our bad luck with service that day or something and maybe everyone else had a great experience. That's all I was getting at. I can definitely give it a few weeks. I'd just like to hear what some of the proposed changes will be and a timeframe possibly from someone representing the Bush.

And maybe if it's not asking to much possibly name an Apres snack after me like "Mountain Man's Massive Mozzies" Can you picture it now. "I'd like a your tallest quaff of Long Trail and an order of tastey quad M's". Oh and also maybe just one trail and......... :D

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 10:37 AM
...my mother told me, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything...

Your mother was censoring you! :lol: :wink:

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 10:41 AM
I'll remind everyone that this site is an independent entity from SB, MRG, and SV. We want to see your opinion, honest and unvarnished.....or begin discussions as to why MRG doesn't allow snowboarding.

So you are saying - "we want to see your opinion, in all its glory, unless you want to discuss cetrtain issues". Isn't that like saying "we have free speech, but don't criticize the government, because we've heard it all before"? The latter the reason most given for the MRG discussion. I reserve the right to do so at any time - and IF I do (not now) then YOU have the freedom of choice not to read it...ain't it grand? 8) :D

castlerock
02-06-2007, 10:52 AM
... the point has been made, and the same things have been reiterated over and over again. Instead of belaboring the issue further, let's watch for a little while and see if it improves. If not, then come back here again at that point and say so.

And in the mean time, head on over to the Village

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 11:07 AM
... the point has been made, and the same things have been reiterated over and over again. Instead of belaboring the issue further, let's watch for a little while and see if it improves. If not, then come back here again at that point and say so.

Man, a little "transfer lift" to the village from the LP base would do wonders for the whole SB experience - especially if improvements and businesses could be added to the village without going too overboard.

TimKeogh
02-06-2007, 11:07 AM

Or the ME lodge, where the beer is cold, food is good apres-ski fattening stuff we like, and the service is prompt and friendly.

castlerock
02-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Man, a little "transfer lift" to the village from the LP base would do wonders for the whole SB experience - especially if improvements and businesses could be added to the village without going too overboard.

I usually ski directly to the covered bridge. If for some reason I am at the bottom of the mountain, (gatehouse lift) it is only 5 or 6 skates to get across the bottom of easy rider, and then it is downhill to the bridge.

As for potential businesses in the village, I'm a firm believer in that the mountain can't place business that doesn't exist there (hence all the sturm and drang on Timbers). Someone who has a successful formula can go there, (or start there) and then you'd get quality (or at least authenticity)

Tin Woodsman
02-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I'll remind everyone that this site is an independent entity from SB, MRG, and SV. We want to see your opinion, honest and unvarnished.....or begin discussions as to why MRG doesn't allow snowboarding.

So you are saying - "we want to see your opinion, in all its glory, unless you want to discuss cetrtain issues". Isn't that like saying "we have free speech, but don't criticize the government, because we've heard it all before"? The latter the reason most given for the MRG discussion. I reserve the right to do so at any time - and IF I do (not now) then YOU have the freedom of choice not to read it...ain't it grand? 8) :D

Actually, what I'm saying is that we've seen the boarder/MRG issue brought up here several times before. It has gone nowhere but into the toilet. (i.e. "you suck" "no YOU suck" etc...) If you've got a gripe, lobby the shareholders - don't pollute this board with it. You have absolutely nothing to say that hasn't been said 1000 times before on this matter, no matter how smart and articulate you may be. Trust me on this.

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Actually, what I'm saying is that we've seen the boarder/MRG issue brought up here several times before. It has gone nowhere but into the toilet. (i.e. "you suck" "no YOU suck" etc...) If you've got a gripe, lobby the shareholders - don't pollute this board with it. You have absolutely nothing to say that hasn't been said 1000 times before on this matter, no matter how smart and articulate you may be. Trust me on this.

That's what I thought you'd say - but then again, you are a skier. :lol:

BushMogulMaster
02-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Dang snowboarders! :wink:

Treehugger
02-06-2007, 04:52 PM
The staff needs serious training, and they're obviously not getting it. The employee pool in the Valley isn't good, but thats no excuse for super-chef and his floor- manager wife to run with an untrained staff 6 weeks after opening. Staff should be trained off-hours and shadowed by their boss until they're proficient. Even McDonalds does that. I think Win is stuck with a big ego chef who can't manage.

For apres, they're moving the lounge furniture into the center of the room, and dinner table/seating aroung the outside. Also adding some more sound buffer in between.

Fourwide
02-06-2007, 05:15 PM
The lovely woman who waited on us this past Sat. night struggled uncorking the wine--she attempted to uncork whle holding the the bottle aloft (which isn't easy!). I advised her to uncork with the bottle on the table (much easier). She then poured a thimbleful for the taste. I (again, gently and helpfully) advised that she pour a good near-mouthful, as it's either going to be OK or not, so there's no need to scrimp. She thanked me for that, remarking that she'd received many helpful tips FROM THE CUSTOMERS! So, I second Treeskier's point re. training.

win
02-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all your inputs (I actually mean it). Timbers is not for everyone and that is true for just about everything in life. We read and appreciate all comments and suggestions and think and consider them. At this point I know what we want to do and we are proceeding with some short and then some longer term changes which will please many but not all.

The only comment I will make now it that we still have one-half of the season remaining and it will be the best half!

Cheers!

MntMan4Bush
02-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks Win. As always your continued concern with your customers as an owenr is what makes SB the best. We look forward to the changes and the snowiest second half of a season on record.

BushMogulMaster
02-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Thank you, Win.

sugarboarder
02-06-2007, 05:32 PM

Dang Skiers! :wink:

smootharc
02-07-2007, 08:48 AM
For apres, they're moving the lounge furniture into the center of the room, and dinner table/seating aroung the outside. Also adding some more sound buffer in between.

Feel that would be a good idea.

Possibly this is nutty, but more than just moving the lounge furniture to the inner area....there are movable wall systems ($$$$) available or custom built, which would allow a cozy "inner pod" area for Apres ski, but still be configurable to allow area to be completely opened up (remove wall sections) or reconfigured based on specific needs of various functions.

Having the ability to "corral" the bar/apres scene...keeping them near the hot toddies and grub...might be good, and help create that "critical mass" of hanging with friends near other people hanging with their friends that makes for a pleasant, mellowly hopping scene.

Obviously not a thought for the here and now...but perhaps worth consideration when dust settles on this ski season.

Yard Sale
02-07-2007, 09:36 AM

Alright, Alright! That's Enough! Break it up! Or take it outside. Move along. Shows over folks. Nothing to see here. :wink:

BushMogulMaster
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Alright, Alright! That's Enough! Break it up! Or take it outside. Move along. Shows over folks. Nothing to see here. :wink:

Must be a skiboarder! You're the worst kind! :wink: :lol:

Okay, okay... I'm done disrupting the thread. For now. :twisted:

noski
02-07-2007, 10:29 AM

Must be a skiboarder! You're the worst kind! :wink: :lol:

Okay, okay... I'm done disrupting the thread. For now. :twisted:

...I am just not going to say anything about you all being nuts.

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I am just not going to say anything about you all being nuts

Looking back on Mtnman4bush's first post we know there are no nuts @ the Timbers lounge area! :lol:

MntMan4Bush
02-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Apparently they were all full up on crazy and asked me to look somewhere else. :?

freeheel_skier
02-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Apparently they were all full up on crazy and asked me to look somewhere else. :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

come to think of it @ the ME base lodge bar doesn't offer beer nuts or pretzels. Even the Hyde Away has something on the bar to munch on if you are there early enough! I don't eat anything open on the bar....the whole hand washing bathroom thing :shock:

smootharc
02-07-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't eat anything open on the bar....the whole hand washing bathroom thing :shock:

Just dunk your paw in the sterile swill that those eggs or sausagy looking things float in. That juice will kill any bathroom germs on contact. Now putting one of those egg or sausagy things in your tummy.....perhaps will kill you on contact ! :lol:

MntMan4Bush
02-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Mmmmm. Pickled pig feet. I want the one with the nail in it. (CR quote)

sugarboarder
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM

HE started it... :P

sugarboarder
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't eat anything open on the bar....the whole hand washing bathroom thing :shock:

Just dunk your paw in the sterile swill that those eggs or sausagy looking things float in. That juice will kill any bathroom germs on contact. Now putting one of those egg or sausagy things in your tummy.....perhaps will kill you on contact ! :lol:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/images/smilies/puke.gif

02-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Spoke to a "manager" at Timbers, who was very pleasant on the phone, and was very helpful and informative!

She said it went fairly well last Saturday with a third bartender to service the table seating and leather chair areas.
No grumbling last Saturday that she was made aware of, and she did acknowledge hearing the complaints about slow service and the need for more staff over the past several weeks.
They also have the dishwasher as a bar-back now.

The plan is to allow normal table seating in the center of the room, and the leather chair pod for apres ski starting at 3:00 (apparently the shift for extra Bartender) on a first come first serve basis, and then clear the space for formal dining at 5:30.
They will plan to implement this idea on Saturday, and add waitstaff and other resources as the necessary (which one would presume does not mean instantaneously).

As far as relocating the leather seats to the center of the room; that idea is still baking in the oven, and ultimately it will need to be Win’s decision to do this.

I inquired about how she would handle a large group showing up.
She only asked that I give her a heads up, and she’ll staff the area accordingly in the future tense.

This sounds like progress in the right direction, and this Saturday would be somewhat of a litmus test to confirm the adjustments.

See some of you there!

MntMan4Bush
02-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Sounds good to me. I'll be there to tip back a brew and see how things go. I assume the apres food will take a while to implement as menus have to be setup, cook staff brought in and food purchased so I will wait patiently on that, but I'm happy to see they have responded so quickly on the service/speed issues. I'll take a poke and see what happens Saturday.

I think it's funny that there will likely be many of us from the forum in there on Saturday in such a small space tipping them back and no one has any idea who anyone is (for the most part I guess). If I get my hands on some pistachios I might try and see if I can wing one off a certain Sugarboarder!!!! Just kidding. :P

CapeSkiGuy
02-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Great news, but I won't be on hand to test it this weekend...gotta wait another week. Glad to hear about the added bartender, and the seating idea is good also. Save some beer for me, you guys.

sugarboarder
02-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I think it's funny that there will likely be many of us from the forum in there on Saturday in such a small space tipping them back and no one has any idea who anyone is (for the most part I guess). If I get my hands on some pistachios I might try and see if I can wing one off a certain Sugarboarder!!!! Just kidding. :P

Watch it - I pitch a MEAN potato!!! 8)

HowieT2
02-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Sounds good to me. I'll be there to tip back a brew and see how things go. I assume the apres food will take a while to implement as menus have to be setup, cook staff brought in and food purchased so I will wait patiently on that, but I'm happy to see they have responded so quickly on the service/speed issues. I'll take a poke and see what happens Saturday.

I won't be up until president's week, but I think it would really be funny to put some faces to these anonymous avatars. We should pick a time and meet in the C-Rock pub. Chances are many are there anywhere.

skiladi
02-11-2007, 10:15 AM

I won't be up until president's week, but I think it would really be funny to put some faces to these anonymous avatars. We should pick a time and meet in the C-Rock pub. Chances are many are there anywhere.

Some of us yukked it up on the RSN forum a few years back and set up a ski meeting at the GH one day. Met treeskier and mtnlady among others but strangely enough I didn't meet Lostone until hiking the mt. one day and he justs looked like ...well ...Lostone. :D

02-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Apres environment at Timbers this Saturday from 3-5 was new and improved!!!

Waitstaff service at the first come first serve table seating worked out well and the place was packed.
Good job by the waitstaff, Darren in particular, for the attentive service.
Glasses were never empty unless we wanted them to be, and the apps came out promptly.
Manager came up to me and asked how things were going.
Fun time had by all, and it was very nice to see Win and Adam joining us for the experience.

It's the cumulative sum of the little details that are adding up nicely!
Kind of like our snow pack accumulating little by little every couple of days giving us what we have today.......the best place to ski on the East Coast.

Treeskier
02-11-2007, 08:30 PM
I also had a fine experance in Timbers on Saturday. Service was timely and the appitizer I got to sample was fine. Great improvement. I also liked the ski wooden blocks now added to the fence. A sugestion a while back and now been acted upon. They are listening and growing nicely! Now if the coastal storm will dump on us!!!!!

Doing my snow dance!

daevious
02-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Some of us yukked it up on the RSN forum a few years back and set up a ski meeting at the GH one day. Met treeskier and mtnlady among others but strangely enough I didn't meet Lostone until hiking the mt. one day and he justs looked like ...well ...Lostone. :D
Hey, I think I remember that day, too.

Lostone
02-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I did participate in a get together from the RSN forum, but that was after meeting Skiladi, which was a great story in itself... posted on the RSN forum in the fall. 8)

random_ski_guy
02-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Waitstaff service at the first come first serve table seating worked out well and the place was packed.
Good job by the waitstaff, Darren in particular, for the attentive service.

Darren is indeed the man. He served my group on a number of ocassions a few weeks back. A little green, yes, but a nice young fellow who pays attention. And thats all that matters. :)